RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHIC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/16 10:42 am    ::: 2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHIC Reply Reply with quote

The shooting in Baton Rouge is, IMO, once again a bad case to create an anti-police killings of black citizens protest movement around. A convicted felon with a gun out at midnight, breaks many laws, including threatening a person with the gun which generated a 911 call to the police of a guy threatening people with a gun. That's why society created a 911 system. And police. So the guy refused to get down on the ground, instructions some are saying he 'didn't understand', he was tazed first, then he fought the officers. The officers, so easy to judge when it's not YOU, might have easily been running out of strength or energy at the point when they both were wrestling with this guy on the ground and that could have resulted in them seeming to too quickly end the scuffle by shooting the guy. Lot's of bad guys out there. Lot's of guys on the fringes. Murders and murderers galore run the streets 24/7. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. Murderers run the streets. Police and 911 are our only protection.

This Minneapolis case is, however, an outrage. No 911 call. Just a busted tail light. No convicted felon on the street at midnight threatening anyone. A solid citizen with a real job and a concealed carry permit. He informed the police, according to his girlfriend, who live streamed the immediate aftermath of the shooting on Facebook (since removed but not before going viral), that he had a firearm, the cop instructed him to produce his license and when he reached for his license the cop shot him four times. This shooting is everything a trigger happy cop protest movement could want. As long as BLM jumps on cases of criminals with guns or anyone, really, who has had 911 called on them and then resists the responding officers, they are only setting themselves back. Because believe me, the vast majority of Americans want these epic murder rates to be dealt with MOST severely. That's what people really want in their hearts whether they have the ability or feel free to express that or not.

WARNING, this is GRAPHIC.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sZ7DhbRUvNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In Fresno an unarmed white 19-year old who also had 911 called on him for having a rifle (???) refused many instructions by the responding officers, pretended to have a weapon, said he hated his life, etc. before finally being shot at, he was on the ground, but apparently he had one hand obscured from the police and refused to follow instructions, and HE was fatally shot. There's a video of that. Here's an excerpt and a link. I haven't watched the video. Too early in the morning.

But now you have a protest in this case as friends and family of the teenager are showing up with signs that say, WHITE LIVES MATTER, and, wait for it... well... here's an excerpt from the LATimes.

A large vigil held days after the shooting drew a crowd of officers, who blocked the road for safety, police said.

Friends, family and Fresno residents carried a large Confederate flag as they confronted police, while others posted signs at a memorial that said Justice for Dylan, and White Lives Matter.

Videos of the gathering posted online show dozens of motorcycles and trucks participating in a lively sideshow. Drivers revved their engines and raced down a strip of road as they were cheered by onlookers.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-video-shooting-dylan-noble-20160707-snap-story.html

Cops have a tough job. I have sympathy for the family of the kid here but I don't have any for the idea that the cops were wrong to shoot a person after they'd been called via 911 and told of a guy with a gun, and then find themselves encountering a kid who 'hated his life' and who was refusing to comply with their instructions. It's a good way to get yourself shot, just as in the Louisiana case. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Too many murderers running the street.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 11:32 am    ::: Re: 2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHI Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Cops have a tough job. I have sympathy for the family of the kid here but I don't have any for the idea that the cops were wrong to shoot a person after they'd been called via 911 and told of a guy with a gun, and then find themselves encountering a kid who 'hated his life' and who was refusing to comply with their instructions. It's a good way to get yourself shot, just as in the Louisiana case. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Too many murderers running the street.

WOW!

You are sure to find people in the comment section of the following link, who agree with you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/jesse-williams-reacts-to-alton-sterlings-death-with-powerful-tweets/ar-BBu0XV8?ocid=mailsignout

Last edited by Genero36 on 07/07/16 12:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/07/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/173662769" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://vimeo.com/173662769

PostPosted: 07/07/16 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CrSSONxNZhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSSONxNZhM

PostPosted: 07/07/16 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/07/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well hey, while we're at it, I thought the Jesse Williams speech was a bunch of well-intoned bullshit. And contrary to what this actor says (I actually don't know or care whether I meet his standards or not) I RESERVE my right to speak. And I think his tweets you've posted right here speaks volumes as to who he is and the limitations of the idea that he's an agent of positive change.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 07/07/16 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/07/16 12:28 pm    ::: Re: 2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHI Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Wow, to hear her daughter say "it's ok, I"m right here with you." Crying or Very sad

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/16 12:37 pm    ::: Re: 2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHI Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Wow, to hear her daughter say "it's ok, I"m right here with you." Crying or Very sad

We're doing this all wrong on so many levels. It's truly tragic. Get a license plate and issue the citation by mail for a busted tail light. If you have a bad address and it doesn't get to the owner of the vehicle OH WELL. It's a freaking busted tail light.

Train the police not better but DIFFERENTLY. TO DO DIFFERENT THINGS. Give them less options to fire into a car with a woman and a kid when you are requiring them to reach for a drivers license. Put a fucking copy of the drivers license on some kind of display like a taxi driver. So cops aren't initiating this physical transaction of a citizen with a busted tail light having to reach for something which freaks out Barney fucking Fife who then shoots him. Let's do some things differently.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 12:58 pm    ::: Re: 2 more police shootings... Minneapolis and Fresno GRAPHI Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

We're doing this all wrong on so many levels. It's truly tragic. Get a license plate and issue the citation by mail for a busted tail light. If you have a bad address and it doesn't get to the owner of the vehicle OH WELL. It's a freaking busted tail light.

Train the police not better but DIFFERENTLY. TO DO DIFFERENT THINGS. Give them less options to fire into a car with a woman and a kid when you are requiring them to reach for a drivers license. Put a fucking copy of the drivers license on some kind of display like a taxi driver. So cops aren't initiating this physical transaction of a citizen with a busted tail light having to reach for something which freaks out Barney fucking Fife who then shoot him. Let's do some things differently.

Something I don't understand is why the cop wanted HIS license and not hers.

She was the driver.

I just re-watched the first part of the video. It looks to me like she's on the left side of the vehicle. But it also looks like the steering wheel could be on his side of the vehicle. Is this a car that has been adapted for mail deliveryor from GB? Is it the angle that she is holding her phone? Is it something where the video appears to be backwards for some reason? Do I need to go to my optometrist?

The reason that I'm hung up on this is if she were driving, I don't see that they had any reason to be asking for his license if it was only a busted tail light.

Another question that I have is why didn't anyone help him?

If this was a right-side injury, pressure on the wound might have helped. No idea where the bullets ended up after possibly bouncing off of ribs (although the bullets most likely shattered his ribs on impact being that close and that powerful of a weapon). Don't just stand there pointing a gun at him as he bleeds out.

If it is a left-side injury (and I'm seeing the video backwards), I'm thinking that CPR would have only caused him to bleed out quicker.

And how was she so calm? Was she scared of being shot if she helped him?

I want to know so much more.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 07/07/16 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/07/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Well hey, while we're at it, I thought the Jesse Williams speech was a bunch of well-intoned bullshit. And contrary to what this actor says (I actually don't know or care whether I meet his standards or not) I RESERVE my right to speak. And I think his tweets you've posted right here speaks volumes as to who he is and the limitations of the idea that he's an agent of positive change.

...and on that note, I'm done! Done with you. Done with this message forum, and all other racially insensitive bigots.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

...and on that note, I'm done! Done with you. Done with this message forum, and all other racially insensitive bigots.

I'm sorry to see you go. I'm sorry you feel I'm a racially insensitive bigot. My heroes when I was growing up were Angela Davis and Muhammad Ali. I've spent my entire life thinking of racial politics before any other kind of politics... except maybe in the last few decades where I've become equally concerned with class-based politics. I have definite strong opinions about society and race and what should be done and some of them are, in the context of political correctness, in the context of actors who want to limit who has a voice, and in the context of board mates who don't want to hear from anyone who disagrees with them on this most sensitive issue, my opinions can seem very insensitive. But people are dying everywhere at the hands of everyone and everyone has a right to speak and offer their opinions and solutions and voice their outrage.

I don't try to shut you up, G. I think the worst thing you could ever do is try to shut me up. You're maybe not going to like what I have to say, but few people are saying anything similar and that makes what I have to say rare and valuable. It's tough talk on many fronts. We don't have time for flowery speeches. Flowery speeches aren't going to get us anywhere. We ALL want to be safe. I think it's a very bad thing to cry bigotry and racism (someone else did this) and run away. But I can't stop you. I just had some opinions on these shootings that I wanted to get out there.

The quote where you said wow and posted the Chaka Khan face at me was about a WHITE teenager. I said I thought the police have a tough job and that the shooting of this WHITE kid might have been justified. I said the shooting of the BLACK guy who was stopped for a busted tail light was an outrage. Question Question Question

So I don't understand what you meant when you posted the link to the people who disagree with Jesse Williams's tweets. Or whatever that was. Criminals with guns who resist being taken into custody are shit out of luck when it comes to how the police deal with them.

All of this, every year. Where are we going as a country and as a society? It's endless. I suggest getting behind the truly outrageous shootings, stop standing up for criminals who are doing bad shit and get shot and focus on the innocent citizens who are also getting killed by cops and criminals alike. And let people who don't agree with you speak without labeling them as bigots. In the end, you alienate allies and the people who are getting killed are going to continue to be killed.

You'd be the fourth really valuable member of this community to walk away from Rebkell's this year. Two after contending that bigotry and racism are a presence on this board and are allowed or encouraged, one over what was taken as an unfair application of an unwritten and admittedly ambiguous rule, and another because the board was too slow. It's HORRIBLE to lose you guys. But what do you want? People not to voice their opinions? If you think someone like me is a bigot or allowing racism to flourish on the board .... where are you drawing the line?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Death by cop happened right here in my home town of 8K.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/32318550/family-says-thomaston-man-killed-by-police-had-mental-health-issues

http://www.rep-am.com/news/local/doc5771158761d6f210620813.txt

Even in this case, in which the citizen is aggressive and has a knife, I find it hard for shooting to kill to be justified.

The Minn case is another FUCKING OUTRAGE, as is BR.

An aside...in this 99% white, mostly Republican dinky town, around the corner from me is a lawn w/ a TRUMP sign, and then 2 pro-police signs. One says SUPPORT THE POLICE and the other something like POLICE MAKE US SAFE.

Each time I drive by this house, I roll my eyes.

Couple of days ago, as I was driving by, a black woman listening to a IPOD or something, and facing me, was just about to walk past the house.

I followed her eyes from sign to sign, then watched her roll them and shake her head.

I'm w/ ya, lady.

I'm so sick and tired of the bullshit.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raleigh man fires handgun at Wake County deputy

http://wncn.com/2016/07/06/raleigh-man-fires-handgun-at-wake-county-deputy/

Quote:
Ray pulled out a handgun after the deputy wrestled the shotgun from him.

Ray fired a shot from the handgun during the altercation. The round did not strike anyone.

The deputy was able to apprehend Ray and take him into custody.

Deadly force required? Not for this white guy who was pointing a shotgun at cars in the road and actually fired a handgun at a cop.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ray fired a shot from the handgun during the altercation. The round did not strike anyone.

Deadly force required? Not for this white guy who was pointing a shotgun at cars in the road and actually fired a handgun at a cop.

It is sad that the amount of melanin in someone's skin is directly related to how likely someone is to survive an encounter with the police.

No matter the other conditions involved, this is a simple reality and is totally fucked up. And it is also a big reason why people of color get upset when white people break down the death of a black man at the hands of the police and explain why it is his fault he died. There is good reason to believe that if the person in BR was white, and everything else was the same, the police would have found a way to apprehend him without killing him.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

It is sad that the amount of melanin in someone's skin is directly related to how likely someone is to survive an encounter with the police.

No matter the other conditions involved, this is a simple reality and is totally fucked up. And it is also a big reason why people of color get upset when white people break down the death of a black man at the hands of the police and explain why it is his fault he died. There is good reason to believe that if the person in BR was white, and everything else was the same, the police would have found a way to apprehend him without killing him.

I broke down the death of a white teenager and said it probably was his fault. I said the black man killed in Minn was an outrage. I think pilight is trying to stir the pot. The amount of melanin isn't the REASON black people are shot by police at a higher rate than are white people or why cops approach black people with more suspicion and fear and with more readiness to shoot. But I can't give you that reason or explain any of it to you... because I'm white. Because to suggest that being a criminal and having a gun and having 911 called on you for THREATENING another person with that gun and then failing to get on the ground when ordered to and resisting arrest and fighting with the police all while in possession of that firearm... but also WHILE being black is apparently not TO BE SEEN as outrageously dangerous criminal behavior. It's white racism on the part of cops. And to say otherwise is also... white racism.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a black ex-cop, and this is the real truth about race and policing

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8661977/race-police-officer

Quote:
No matter what an officer has done to a black person, that officer can always cover himself in the running narrative of heroism

PostPosted: 07/07/16 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The amount of melanin isn't the REASON black people are shot by police at a higher rate than are white people or why cops approach black people with more suspicion and fear and with more readiness to shoot. But I can't give you that reason or explain any of it to you... because I'm white.

Really? You don't know the reason? It is racism. Through and through. It is the fact that black suspects are seen as more dangerous then white ones by the police. It is something that is internalized. The numbers support this. That is the simple reality of the world we live in. If you are black, you are more likely to die at the hands of the police than you are if you are white. The simple reality is that if you are black, your actions are more likely to be perceived as life threatening by police than if you are white. The exact same actions are more likely to leave a black person dead than a white one.

And that is what this is all about.

For us white folk, we have the luxury--no, we have the privilege--to be able to look at these situations dispassionately and try and break down the actions of those involved. It becomes a game of armchair legal analysis. We become consumed with the forensics and who did what and said what and who resisted whom. We focus on who the person was, were they a good person or some criminal? I know I've done it. But how nice is it to actually have that privilege. To know that if I get pulled over by the police that I will almost certainly survive, no matter what I do. For people of color, that isn't true. When they see someone shot "resisting arrest" they know, know, to the core of their beings that if the person had been white they would have likely lived. That the police would not have reacted as they did. That every last possible ounce of effort would have been used to deescalate the situation and every last benefit of the doubt would have been given before someone ended up dead.

As white people we are privileged to be able to look at these occurrences as separate events. We see a case like here in Minnesota and we think it's an outrage. This was an innocent man who had a licensed gun and a permit to carry, and he did everything that a reasonable person would have done. Then we look at what happened in BR, and we note how he resisted and how he was a criminal and how he had allegedly threatened some people. Because of this, we determine it "not an outrage", the cops were doing their jobs and the guy fought back. But for people of color, the root of these two events are the same. The reason the man in BR is dead is the same reason the man in Minnesota is. A white police officer assessed the situation and became fearful that their life was in danger. The fact that the Minnesota situation happens is what makes the BR one so hard to take. It is why there is a honest belief that had the man been white, he would still be alive. And if a white man could survive that exact same encounter, then the force was not really necessary.

That all said, I don't think this way of thinking comes from racism. The deaths? Yes, that's racism--if just that internalized racism that is in all of us that makes us fear what we don't understand. But I disagree that this sort of analysis of these events and the break down between "outrage" and "not outrageous" comes from a place of bigotry. I think it comes from a place of White Ignorance, in as we tend to see these events in a fundamentally different way than do African Americans. It is almost as if we are speaking a different language, and people and groups like #BlackLivesMatter are so desperately trying to get us to understand. And since this is a matter of literal life and death, it has to be exasperating when as hard as they try, we just don't get it and nothing seems to change.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the general (white) cop reaction, when dealing w/ black men, is the obvious fucking problem here.

white guy pulls a gun on a cop or is drunk in the street w/ a knife or whatever, and they gotta "talk him down".

black boy has a fucking air pistol and they can't shoot him fast enough.

and on and on and on and on and on...

"america is always the same damn shit."

PostPosted: 07/07/16 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though all are equally tragic and reprehensible, the Minnesota shooting is one of the most appalling incidents I've seen, maybe short of the Tamir Rice case. Un-fucking-believable. And that it should take so LONG to get medical help there, and treat the woman like a dog, so callously removed from the crime scene, like she was somehow culpable! I could not have demonstrated that same level of dispassionate self-control, had my loved one been lying there, bleeding out, while the fat pig of a cop stood there, screaming like a banshee.

MN Governor Dayton's comment to the effect that this would not have happened had the victim been white was very observant, if weak.

On a related note: is there any explainable reason why we don't see more incidents like this with Latinos? God knows, we DON'T NEED MORE, but I'm curious about why this is seemingly ALWAYS Blacks victims.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm speaking the English language. And I'm saying don't do illegal shit and then resist the police when they are called on you. That's not a different language. That's the only language. You're making this too complicated. Yes a LOT of bad decisions by cops are resulting in the deaths of black people. I, for the millionth time point out, that I had MADE a website protesting this in the 1990s. I GET IT. I know. But that doesn't mean there aren't other things going on besides bad cops shooting innocent people or people whose shooting wasn't perfectly understandable and even warranted under the circumstances.

In ENGLISH I'm pointing out Chicago. I'm pointing out MURDER at a rate that is pealing back the notion that we are a civilized nation and that our streets are not killing grounds. MURDER in Louisiana. MURDER in Los Angeles. WHO is supposed to interfere with the actions of those MURDERERS? The POLICE, is the answer. SOCIETY's answer and our push comes to bullets response to the CRUSHING horror that is racking up numbers we haven't seen in decades IS the police. They are getting paid to STOP these killers and to put their lives in danger to go forth into the community and seek out and engage KILLERS.

Who is doing the killing there? Melanin? We live in a racist system where black people are for the most part NOT given the kind of educations and opportunities that would allow them to compete and succeed in these extremely tough times. We do NOTHING to correct that system. Nothing in my lifetime that I would prescribe. Overhauling education for black kids. Making schools a safe haven. Where it's done, it works. But it's not done. It's a disaster. And it creates the murder rates in Chicago and the black crime rate.

But, in the end, somebody has to try to deal with the crime and the gangs and the murderers. That's a reality that's not going away any time soon. Stop being criminals is a message that EVERYONE needs to hear in this country. Are they hearing it? No. They're not. Did the president say it today?

I heard once again someone ask a black politician about 'the talk' on CNN today. And the politician said, "sadly, of course I've had the talk with my kids, my father had the talk with me," he said. Do exactly what the police tell you if you are stopped. Keep your hands visible at all times, etc. Well WTF were all these people who resist arrest and fight with the police told? Is part of the talk a warning not to threaten someone with a gun and then RESIST the police?

Don Lemon said this tonight. All you people out there who are sitting around engaging in pretzel logic who are saying, but why didn't he comply, etc. need to CHECK YOURSELVES.

I've got news for Don Lemon and everyone who is using pretzel logic to try to wiggle out of the idea that you CAN NOT DISOBEY the orders of police officer who are shouting them at you without putting your own life in grave danger. YES, more so because you're black. Okay. More so because this is a racist country. No doubt. But it's YOUR LIFE. You're going to get killed.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Though all are equally tragic and reprehensible, the Minnesota shooting is one of the most appalling incidents I've seen, maybe short of the Tamir Rice case. Un-fucking-believable. And that it should take so LONG to get medical help there, and treat the woman like a dog, so callously removed from the crime scene, like she was somehow culpable! I could not have demonstrated that same level of dispassionate self-control, had my loved one been lying there, bleeding out, while the fat pig of a cop stood there, screaming like a banshee.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: 07/07/16 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

MN Governor Dayton's comment to the effect that this would not have happened had the victim been white was very observant, if weak.

On a related note: is there any explainable reason why we don't see more incidents like this with Latinos? God knows, we DON'T NEED MORE, but I'm curious about why this is seemingly ALWAYS Blacks victims.

Stop ignoring the police killings of Latinos

Doesn't life of Latino shot by police matter?

PostPosted: 07/07/16 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's not the correct protocol, and that's not how it should be. And that standard, if you are correct, would need to be fixed in itself.

Unless the officer's life was at risk, it was wrong for the officer to kill the individual. I don't care if the person was rude to the police. I don't care if the person threw a punch. Has a record. A small crime or not following directions does not make the officer's crime okay, and certainly does not warrant someone's life. A victim does not have to be pure.

And if that is truly the culture of police officers (along with the clear implicit racism), where killing is appropriate for small crimes and not listening, then we've got more problems, not different explanations.

To go further, the death rate is obviously higher for black people. At this point, it's not even worth discussing whether it is or not. The questions that need to be asked are what is causing it (And if it's more than the simple innate racism that lives in all of us because of our culture) and what can we do about it. The conversation needs to move there now. Enough already.

PostPosted: 07/08/16 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even Newt Gingrich is starting to get it

https://twitter.com/alanhe/status/751457733216460800

PostPosted: 07/08/16 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Even Newt Gingrich is starting to get it

https://twitter.com/alanhe/status/751457733216460800

I do admit I am shocked at this view shared.

Do I dare ask, what is a normal white American?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: