RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rethink Role Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb1

PostPosted: 05/30/16 1:15 am    ::: Rethink Role Models Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sportette.com.au/finally-commercial-women-sport-gets/

http://youtu.be/1nsyIw0k_Iw

"The argument for supporting women in sport is written here in this ad, it’s obvious when you look in this little girl’s eyes. It’s not about broadcast ratings, commercial interests or attendance figures; it’s about this little girl, the next generation. It’s about inspiring and motivating these little girls who will grow up to represent 50% of our population. It’s about giving these little girls the right role models and leaders in sport and in life. This little girl who will grow up to be a woman in sport and a woman of the world."

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 05/30/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article mb1

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/30/16 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another way that I also think of it is to look at what happens on the court relative to their male peers.

I watched a good portion of game 6 of the NBA WCF on Saturday night. I know it wasn't the most representative NBA game and I know that Durant and Westbrook don't often miss 38 shots in a game. However, there's still a few things about that game that need to be said. Durant was going 1-on-1 the entire game. I'm sure that works 95% of the time against people guarding him and I know he's more of an assist player than Saturday night suggested. That said, in the game's biggest spots and on the biggest stage Durant was content to take contested 3 after contested 3. Iguodala is probably one of the few people with the length and athleticism to really bother Durant, and when he turned it up Durant had no answers. No fakes. No counters. Westbrook was no better down the stretch with turnovers that were beyond belief. It's no wonder why OKC hasn't won a championship with two of the most athletic players ever to put on an NBA uniform.

Golden State on the other hand is one of the few teams I can actually enjoy watching. No shot is a bad shot. When Curry is doubled he finds the open man. When Thompson is the hot hand Curry gets him the ball. That's what basketball is supposed to be all about. If a top-5 player like Curry can do it then other players should be more willing to do it too.

I know there's plenty who disagree but give me the WNBA any day. I'd rather watch the game played on the floor with some missed layups but knowing that we are likely to see team basketball when we watch a game. After watching Saturday I knew why OKC's fourth quarters this year haven't generally been good and why I think they won't win a championship without a change in the approach of Durant and Westbrook. Especially Durant. If that was Lebron bricking bad shot after bad shot on Saturday he'd have been vilified.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: