RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNBL (Australia) 2016/17 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3598
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/05/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I don't usually campaign for other players, but someone really needs to at least give Whitcomb a training camp look.

I agree. She's a high energy hustle player who somewhere along the line developed the skill to go with her effort. Whitcomb is a really good shooter, and she invites contact going to the hoop. The only question is whether she can play off the bench. Also, not sure how well she'll defend, but Whitcomb will at least give you effort.



_________________
Under-loved, over-fed
My man's gone, so instead
I got rocks in my bed
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/05/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
I don't usually campaign for other players, but someone really needs to at least give Whitcomb a training camp look.

I agree. She's a high energy hustle player who somewhere along the line developed the skill to go with her effort. Whitcomb is a really good shooter, and she invites contact going to the hoop. The only question is whether she can play off the bench. Also, not sure how well she'll defend, but Whitcomb will at least give you effort.

You can never really tell until the player is competing at that next level, but I think she has attributes that translate to the next level. Can handle the ball, has serious range on her shot, and a quick release too. Close out hard and she's a good finisher at the rim. Gives effort and energy at both ends. (leads the league in steals by an absolute mile). Good basketball IQ too.
Negatives: I could see her being a little foul-prone in the WNBA initially, because she pushes the limits with her defence. Also she's slightly turnover-prone with her passing when driving and dishing.

I'll be surprised if she's not on a roster this season, and making a meaningful contribution.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 968



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think her ball handling and ability to drive to the hoop is going to WOW anyone in the WNBA, but the fact that she can fill it up from long range should make her useful as at least a 3-point specialist in the W.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/06/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I don't think her ball handling and ability to drive to the hoop is going to WOW anyone in the WNBA, but the fact that she can fill it up from long range should make her useful as at least a 3-point specialist in the W.

I'm not saying her ball handling is going to wow anyone (especially not you Wink ), but not being one-dimensional is important IMO. History shows it's pretty much impossible to make a WNBA career out of just shooting open threes.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1326



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
I don't usually campaign for other players, but someone really needs to at least give Whitcomb a training camp look.

I agree. She's a high energy hustle player who somewhere along the line developed the skill to go with her effort. Whitcomb is a really good shooter, and she invites contact going to the hoop. The only question is whether she can play off the bench. Also, not sure how well she'll defend, but Whitcomb will at least give you effort.

You can never really tell until the player is competing at that next level, but I think she has attributes that translate to the next level. Can handle the ball, has serious range on her shot, and a quick release too. Close out hard and she's a good finisher at the rim. Gives effort and energy at both ends. (leads the league in steals by an absolute mile). Good basketball IQ too.
Negatives: I could see her being a little foul-prone in the WNBA initially, because she pushes the limits with her defence. Also she's slightly turnover-prone with her passing when driving and dishing.

I'll be surprised if she's not on a roster this season, and making a meaningful contribution.


You don't mean the roster of the Rockingham Flames, right? It does sound like she's WNBA or bust this year, but how would that work if she signed a SBL deal in March? Would they just let her go for nothing or would there be a buyout (is there a CBA provision for that, especially with borderline-ish WNBA players playing in Puerto Rico during the WNBA season?)? The SBL still has one of my favorite team names. I'll let people look it up and try to figure out which one.

Either way, she and Plum should do a Washington three point shootout for charity. They can get other people like Osahor and Kingma on board too.

Also, I'm not going to claim to have looked at the media of every country in the world, but I think that saying that Australia has the best coverage of the women's game is demonstrably false.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
You don't mean the roster of the Rockingham Flames, right? It does sound like she's WNBA or bust this year, but how would that work if she signed a SBL deal in March?

No, I was not referring to the Flames Wink
She has stated her desire to make it to the Opals squad and the WNBA, so I would assume that if she has signed with Rockingham, she will have included a WNBA out clause in the contract (and I would also guess that no buyout would be necessary)


awhom111 wrote:
Also, I'm not going to claim to have looked at the media of every country in the world, but I think that saying that Australia has the best coverage of the women's game is demonstrably false.

I assume that's a reference to the twitter conversation.
The original quote was
‏@womensbball247 wrote:
The Australian League is definitely one of the better covered leagues in the world! Hats off to the @WNBL and the media for their coverage!

"Media" is a pretty broad term.
Rightly or wrongly, I took it to mean that in her search for stories about the various leagues around the world, she found no shortage of WNBL coverage.
As far as print/online news articles I don't disagree with her, though it varies by city. Townsville, Canberra, Bendigo, Melbourne and Adelaide all get pretty good coverage IMO from some good writers. The first 3 benefit from not being big cities, and therefore their teams are a relatively big deal. Melbourne is the sports capital of the world, so no surprise their teams are covered. And Adelaide is well served by one journo who has been passionately covering the men & women for decades. There are also too many basketball radio shows, podcasts & blogs for me to even keep up with, and I consider myself a pretty hard core basketball fan.

If we're talking tv though ... that's a different story. For many, many years we got at least one game per week on national, non-pay tv. That stopped after 2014-15 and we currently have nothing regular. (there were 2 Perth Lynx games shown live earlier in the season, but that was basically a trial, and nothing further came of it).
We actually get to watch more games than ever before, but that's only thanks to the teams that live stream games on YouTube and Facebook, and that coverage varies in quality from quite watchable, down to buffering frustration, down to one person with a camera sitting in an awful position providing no commentary and pointing the camera at the scoreboard even now & then.



awhom111 wrote:
The SBL still has one of my favorite team names. I'll let people look it up and try to figure out which one.

I wonder if it's the same as mine. They strike dread into the hearts of their opponents, as all efforts to score are met with bickering and bureaucracy Razz



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 13855
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What i like about her is that her 3pointers are not only spot up 3pointers. She can create her own shot off the dribble. That will certainly help in the wnba



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clichs possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." Karen Bryant
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1326



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
You don't mean the roster of the Rockingham Flames, right? It does sound like she's WNBA or bust this year, but how would that work if she signed a SBL deal in March?

No, I was not referring to the Flames Wink
She has stated her desire to make it to the Opals squad and the WNBA, so I would assume that if she has signed with Rockingham, she will have included a WNBA out clause in the contract (and I would also guess that no buyout would be necessary)


awhom111 wrote:
Also, I'm not going to claim to have looked at the media of every country in the world, but I think that saying that Australia has the best coverage of the women's game is demonstrably false.

I assume that's a reference to the twitter conversation.
The original quote was
‏@womensbball247 wrote:
The Australian League is definitely one of the better covered leagues in the world! Hats off to the @WNBL and the media for their coverage!

"Media" is a pretty broad term.
Rightly or wrongly, I took it to mean that in her search for stories about the various leagues around the world, she found no shortage of WNBL coverage.
As far as print/online news articles I don't disagree with her, though it varies by city. Townsville, Canberra, Bendigo, Melbourne and Adelaide all get pretty good coverage IMO from some good writers. The first 3 benefit from not being big cities, and therefore their teams are a relatively big deal. Melbourne is the sports capital of the world, so no surprise their teams are covered. And Adelaide is well served by one journo who has been passionately covering the men & women for decades. There are also too many basketball radio shows, podcasts & blogs for me to even keep up with, and I consider myself a pretty hard core basketball fan.

If we're talking tv though ... that's a different story. For many, many years we got at least one game per week on national, non-pay tv. That stopped after 2014-15 and we currently have nothing regular. (there were 2 Perth Lynx games shown live earlier in the season, but that was basically a trial, and nothing further came of it).
We actually get to watch more games than ever before, but that's only thanks to the teams that live stream games on YouTube and Facebook, and that coverage varies in quality from quite watchable, down to buffering frustration, down to one person with a camera sitting in an awful position providing no commentary and pointing the camera at the scoreboard even now & then.



awhom111 wrote:
The SBL still has one of my favorite team names. I'll let people look it up and try to figure out which one.

I wonder if it's the same as mine. They strike dread into the hearts of their opponents, as all efforts to score are met with bickering and bureaucracy Razz


I agree on the Bendigo Advertiser coverage, which is great. I like Boti's Lightning/36ers coverage, but I wish he did more during the rest of the year, even if it was just on his blog. Even if it's just puff pieces on Ieva, I'd like to know more about the local scene and also his thoughts in a global context. Further down the scale, I've generally learned a lot from the Hobart coverage and there's good coverage of the local team in Latrobe.

It's still not quite up to the standard of the best in a global context, even though obviously no one person can read every language for a fair comparison. Spain's coverage has been fantastic in a number of cities and on a national level and Turkey's seems pretty good too.

Alas, I am not that complicated a person. Go Cockburn Cougars! I wonder if they ever have trouble signing Americans? "That can't be a real place with a real team!"
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing I really should have guessed. I guess when you've grown up with how it is pronounced (Coe-burn) you lose appreciation for what a good word it is on paper.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 175



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a random question, but how much do WNBL players typically make? I read somewhere that they make less than WNBA players.



_________________
Kentucky Wildcats, Sky, & Spurs
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 42438



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
This is a random question, but how much do WNBL players typically make? I read somewhere that they make less than WNBA players.


Quote:
While some basketball players in the WNBL earn more than $60,000 a year, about 20 per cent are paid less than $5000 and have to fork out for their own top-level health cover.

In contrast, Netball Australia's latest deal with its domestic players guarantees them a minimum wage of $27,375 and an average wage of $67,500.


Quote:
Four-time Olympian and WNBL player Laura Hodges said she had earned good money over her basketball career by playing both in Australia and overseas, in Italy, USA and France.

But Hodges said when she started out in the WNBL as a teenager she played for nothing, which was only possible because she lived at home.


http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/basketballers-demand-minimum-wage-as-competition-for-female-talent-heats-up-20161004-gruikk.html



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/17 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 18

Sydney keep rolling, Townsville keep charging, and the Rangers & Spirit keep sputtering, which this weekend became fatal for Bendigo's playoff hopes.
Melbourne had a rare win and were unlucky not to make it a road double as the Lynx got lucky and then won in OT.

Townsville 83 (Standish 22p 9r, Wilson 16p 9r 7a, Batkovic 15p 12r 5a 3b, Garbin 12p 8r)
Dandenong 66 (Blicavs 12p 11r, Cumming 11p, Novosel 10p)
Boxscore

Adelaide 72 (Planeta 25p 9r, Hodges 18p 15r, Ciabattoni 15p 6r 8a, Logic 2p 5r 6a)
Melbourne 85 (Garrick 22p 6r, Kunek 15p 5r, Cole 15p, Smart 11p 5r, Thompson 9p 10r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 81 (Mitchell 19p 6a, Snell 17p 6r 7a 4s, Hamson 16p 14r 3b, Taylor 8p 6r)
Dandenong 77 (Cumming 25p 5a, Malott 20p 4r 3b)
Boxscore
YouTube

Canberra 77 (Wehrung 18p, Tolo 14p 10r, Gaze 13p, Mansfield 7p 6a, Ruef 5p 12r)
Bendigo 52 (Oliver 12p, Griffin 11p, Dietrick 10p, Raincock-Ekunwe 8p 13r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Perth 87 [OT] (Whitcomb 22p 6r, Butler 19p, Mijovic 17p 13r 3b, Hamblin 12p 11r)
Melbourne 81 (Keane 16p 9r 9a, Cole 14p, Cunningham 13p, Garrick 12p 7r, Kunek 12p)
Boxscore



Ladder:
Sydney Uni Flames 17-6
Perth Lynx 15-7
Dandenong Rangers 14-9
Townsville Fire 14-9
UC Capitals 12-10
Bendigo Spirit 11-11
Melbourne Boomers 5-18
Adelaide Lightning 2-20


Next weekend (the final round of the regular season) 4th spot is still gettable for Canberra but they've got to win in Townsville to take it.
Perth needs to win one of their two road games (@ Dandenong & Bendigo) to get 2nd spot.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/17 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All 8 teams are in action this afternoon.
The final 4 was set on Thursday night when Canberra blew their game vs Adelaide, but the order of the 2, 3 & 4 seeds are still up for grabs.

In 1 hour from now; Perth Lynx @ Dandenong Rangers on YouTube
In 90 minutes; Adelaide Lightning @ Sydney Uni Flames
In 2 hours; Bendigo Spirit @ Melbourne Boomers on Facebook Live
In 2.5 hours; Canberra Capitals @ Townsville Fire on YouTube

Final game of the regular season is tomorrow with Perth @ Bendigo.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 19

Final round of the regular season, which saw Sydney finish well clear in first place, Dandenong thrashed Perth to take 2nd place from them, and Townsville were gifted 4th place when Canberra fell to bottom-placed Adelaide. To possibly make the hurt even worse for Canberra, they then went to Townsville and won. Bendigo finished their season with a couple of consolation wins.

Canberra 74 (Gwathmey 16p, Tolo 15p 9r 5s 4b, Gaze 15p, Mansfield 14p 6r 5a, Ruef 6p 11r)
Adelaide 76 (Planeta 29p, Ciabattoni 20p, Hodges 18p, Logic 4p 7r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Dandenong 81 (Blicavs 20p 6r, Cumming 19p, Novosel 18p 7r 4s, Clydesdale 12p 6a)
Perth 59 (Whitcomb 17p 5r, Edmondson 14p 6r, Hamblin 10p 5r, Mijovic 4p 8r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 98 (Mitchell 17p 6a, Taylor 15p 7r, Wilson 15p, Hamson 13p, Tupaea 12p, Graham 12p)
Adelaide 83 (Planeta 21p 12r, Hodges 19p, Good 15p 5r, Elsworthy 12p)
Boxscore

Melbourne 79 (Garrick 21p, Cole 19p, Smart 10p)
Bendigo 80 (Dietrick 17p, Raincock-Ekunwe 15p 10r, Oliver 14p 7r, Payne 14p 5r, Griffin 11p 9r 6a)
Boxscore
Facebook Live

Townsville 83 (Batkovic 26p 14r, Standish 14p 6r, Garbin 13p, Cocks 12p, Murray 10p, Wilson 5p 7a)
Canberra 90 (Ruef 24p 8r, Mansfield 18p 7r 7a, Tolo 17p 5r 5a, Gwathmey 13p 9r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Bendigo 73 (Raincock-Ekunwe 17p 7r, Payne 16p, Griffin 13p 9r, Dietrick 11p 7a, Oliver 7p 6r 7a)
Perth 72 (Whitcomb 22p 6r 4s, Mijovic 16p 6r, Hamblin 11p 11r 5b, Phillips 10p 5r)
Boxscore



Final Ladder:

Sydney Uni Flames 18-6
Dandenong Rangers 15-9
Perth Lynx 15-9
Townsville Fire 14-10
---
UC Capitals 13-11
Bendigo Spirit 13-11
Melbourne Boomers 5-19
Adelaide Lightning 3-21



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 42438



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA: The Aussies heading to the world’s best league

https://pickandroll.com.au/wnba-aussies-heading-worlds-best-league/



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 12745



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA: The Aussies heading to the world’s best league

https://pickandroll.com.au/wnba-aussies-heading-worlds-best-league/


Plus Phillips in Dallas & possibly Rachel Jarry & Kelsey Griffin getting picked up by someone.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Phillips was an odd omission.
Jarry fair enough since nothing is official just yet.
Griffin I doubt. Not that I've heard anything lately, but the vibe I get is that the WNBA isn't a goal for her anymore.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4504



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA: The Aussies heading to the world’s best league

https://pickandroll.com.au/wnba-aussies-heading-worlds-best-league/


So I guess Tessa Lavey hasn't learned how to finish. As that was how Brendan Joyce qualified her talent after also saying that he had had two calls about her from WNBA scouts:

Quote:
Joyce revealed two American WNBA scouts had been in contact with him regarding Perth Lynx point guard Tessa Lavey, a terrier of a player with lightning speed.

“She is breaking people’s ankles out there, she can play and she just has to learn to finish,” Joyce said.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
So I guess Tessa Lavey hasn't learned how to finish.

No she hasn't. Not being able to make a layup is kind of a problem for a guard whose main weapon is speed.
Lavey is solid as a WNBL point guard but I have my doubts that Joyce ever fielded any serious enquiries about her from WNBA teams. She was one of his pet Opals projects and made sure to talk her up every chance he got to justify the favouritism he gave her.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 12745



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Lavey to Seattle? to Dallas?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/20/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, and no.
(Also ten other nos)

And I say that as someone who likes her and cheers for her every game. But she's not at the required level.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3638



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What posiiton does Raincock-Ekunwe play?

The Liberty just signed her.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
What posiiton does Raincock-Ekunwe play?

The Liberty just signed her.

I think she is a WNBA 3. Here in the WNBL she is very effective as a 4 who is quicker than her opponents, but I don't know how well her game will translate to the WNBA. If you're a WNBA tweener you can do well down here because this league is about half a size smaller. She was pushing WNBL All Star First Team level for most of the season ... but she's more an energetic slasher type rather than an ideal 3 with inside and outside game. It'll be interesting to see how she goes amongst larger and more athletic peers than she faces down here. I like her energy but I'd also say don't get your hopes up.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 42438



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How would you compare her to say Asia Taylor, who WAS picked up fairly quickly, or Kelsey Griffin, who has been unsigned by the WNBA long enough to where I think she may no longer be interested in the WNBA.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Late response as I've been out in the boondocks for a few days, but yeah those players are definitely comparable IMO. They've all done well here, but they're all too small for the style of games they play.

Griffin is the most "wing-like" of them right now - she really does try to play like a conventional SF down here. I'm pretty sure she has no interest in the WNBA as she seems very settled and happy in Bendigo and is closely involved with the community there. She'd still get a WNBA roster spot if she wanted one.
She has more of a solid physique than Asia or Nayo. Those two get their boards from being lean, quick & athletic. That can still work in the W, as long as they can hold their own as defenders. That remains to be seen.
Being limited offensively can also work, but it really requires landing in the right roster that plays the right style of basketball. If a team has enough perimeter firepower and can afford to have a player running round doing the "1%" acts that make an offense flow, and scoring their points mostly in opportunistic ways, then it can work. Basically a lot of planets need to align for it to work IMO, which is why I have my doubts in Nayo's case.
With Asia you can tell that she has a vision for the future of her game at the 3 spot. It's a hard transition to make though so only time will tell if her ability matches her vision. With Nayo I don't get the vibe that she's trying to adapt too much. And maybe it requires actually being in the WNBA environment for that to sink in.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today is WNBL semi final game 1 day!

Both games will be live streamed on YouTube.
(And rather than Sydney's usual awful commentary team, this evening we get the wonderful pairing of Jenni Screen and Carly Wilson Smile )
Why the hell the WNBL scheduled these games to clash is beyond me! Rolling Eyes

[2] Dandenong Rangers vs. [3] Perth Lynx - 6:30pm local time = 2:30am Eastern USA = 7:30am London
YouTube
Live Stats

[1] Sydney Uni Flames vs. [4] Townsville Fire - 7pm local time = 3:00am Eastern USA = 8:00am London
YouTube - 1st Half - 2nd Half
Live Stats



I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth. They know the formula for beating us, and they have the players (i.e. backcourt defenders) to pull it off. Sami Whitcomb will be closely checked by Todhunter, Novosel and Cumming all game. If Perth has a potential advantage it is Ruth Hamblin in the middle, so hopefully we will be pounding it in to her regularly, and she has her sticky hands today rather than her butter-coated ones.

The other game should be a good one. The two teams in the best form right now, each with plenty of players capable of having an impact, but also not a lot of equal match-ups between players so it will be interesting to see who can get loose. As I check the schedule now, these teams matched up 4 times in the regular season, and the final winning margins were 1, 1, 2 and 6 points!



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee


Last edited by Luuuc on 02/25/17 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 18815
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth.

Joining the game barely 40 minutes after tip-off, you're looking kinda accurate (blowout heading to halftime).

P.S. I'm not sure what I thought it was, but I never would've guessed that that's how you pronounce Blicavs.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth.

Joining the game barely 40 minutes after tip-off, you're looking kinda accurate (blowout heading to halftime).

P.S. I'm not sure what I thought it was, but I never would've guessed that that's how you pronounce Blicavs.

Yeah, I don't get how it becomes blitz-avs either. Not that I claim to know anything about Latvian.

I'm sticking with this game because I'm ride or die (definitely die today!) but I'd suggest you tune in to the other one.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that Lynx game was tough to watch. It was very similar to the last one. We were well shut down. At least we showed some spirit in the 4th to get it to a single digit margin and give me some hope that we can defend home court in game 2 next weekend.

The other game ... yikes! The camera was not zoomed in close enough IMO and there were audio issues, and then there was the little problem of the Fire getting completely extinguished. 111 points is the highest score all season.

Dandenong 73 (Cumming 25p 5r, Novosel 15p, Blicavs 11p 8r, Kennedy 8p 5r, Todhunter 7p 7r, Clydesdale 3p 7r 5a)
Perth 66 (Whitcomb 24p 13r, Hamblin 15p 7r, Lavey 11p 4s, Butler 5p 6r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 111 (Wilson 27p, Taylor 19p, Mitchell 19p, Snell 10p 6r 5a, Tupaea 9p 7r, Hamson 6p 10r)
Townsville 69 (Batkovic 18p 10r 5a, Murray 17p 5r, Garbin 10p)
Boxscore
YouTube: 1st Half | 2nd Half



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 18815
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belinda Snell must be one of the all-time greats in having her impact exceed her raw stats (despite not necessarily being a great defender - the 'traditional' way to achieve that duality). She shot 40%, only scored 10 points, but she was huge in that game helping Sydney just take it away from Townsville. Throughout her career she's just seemed to hit meaningful shots, even if you then look at her numbers at the end of the year and think "well that was mediocre".

At the same time, while Natasha Cloud provides things that don't necessarily show up in the box score, I can't help feeling that if she was really that good she should be doing a hell of a lot more at WNBL level. Can't help wondering sometimes if she's actually a useful, steady hand for Washington, or if she's been put in such a basic role that a whole swathe of players could be performing the same role to a similar standard.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
At the same time, while Natasha Cloud provides things that don't necessarily show up in the box score, I can't help feeling that if she was really that good she should be doing a hell of a lot more at WNBL level. Can't help wondering sometimes if she's actually a useful, steady hand for Washington, or if she's been put in such a basic role that a whole swathe of players could be performing the same role to a similar standard.

I like Cloud, but if she had just been a random player with no WNBA background, then based on what I've seen from her this season there is nothing about her game that would have had me thinking "you know someone in the WNBA should really give her a chance!"
I expected more from her down here this season. "Steady" is a good choice of adjectives for her. She can hold her own, but usually to make it at that next level there is some aspect of your game that is at a high level.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3598
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.



_________________
Under-loved, over-fed
My man's gone, so instead
I got rocks in my bed
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.

Yep, well put. Then consider the fact that she's a big PG on a team that has small SGs and her height becomes that extra bit valuable.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3598
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.

Yep, well put. Then consider the fact that she's a big PG on a team that has small SGs and her height becomes that extra bit valuable.


I suppose I should just quit while I'm ahead, but to be honest I haven't followed the WNBL this year except to watch Sami Whitcomb in a couple of games. I knew that Cloud got off to a bad start, but I didn't keep up after that. Apparently, she finished up just as badly -- although it looks like there might have been an injury involved. Nonetheless, she did have a very disappointing season. Cloud also struggled in her brief stint over in Turkey last year, so she's clearly not a plug-and-play kind of performer. Like a lot of players, it seems like system and role are a major determinant of success.



_________________
Under-loved, over-fed
My man's gone, so instead
I got rocks in my bed
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.

Yep, well put. Then consider the fact that she's a big PG on a team that has small SGs and her height becomes that extra bit valuable.


I suppose I should just quit while I'm ahead, but to be honest I haven't followed the WNBL this year except to watch Sami Whitcomb in a couple of games. I knew that Cloud got off to a bad start, but I didn't keep up after that. Apparently, she finished up just as badly -- although it looks like there might have been an injury involved. Nonetheless, she did have a very disappointing season. Cloud also struggled in her brief stint over in Turkey last year, so she's clearly not a plug-and-play kind of performer. Like a lot of players, it seems like system and role are a major determinant of success.

I've seen a bit - not a lot - of her and I wouldn't say she has played poorly.
She just wasn't an obvious impact player. Not a scorer. There's nothing inherently bad about a pass-first mentality for a PG of course. She seemed to slot into the team fine and still do all the little things. In theory that's all she should need to do because there are plenty of scorers on her team. I (mistakenly) assumed that down here she would stand out more, but I guess that's just not the nature of her game style.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi final game twos are underway, and so far it's not looking any better for the Fire on their home court.

<iframe width="675" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rhbMM5aFnqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lynx-Rangers will tip off in just under an hour

<iframe width="675" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euXzkmck4Ww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One series finishes in a sweep, the other goes to a game 3 decider on Sunday afternoon thanks to a memorable game from a Lynx Ledge.

Townsville 61 (Murray 16p 6r, Batkovic 14p 17r, Garbin 13p 8r, Wilson 8p)
Sydney 76 (Tupaea 18p 10r, Mitchell 16p 7a, Snell 13p, Wilson 11p, Taylor 10p 8r, Hamson 4p 6r)
Boxscore

Perth 91 (Whitcomb 41p 9r, Hamblin 14p 5r, Lavey 10p, Mijovic 7p 8r 3b)
Dandenong 71 (Cumming 30p 7r, Blicavs 14p, Kennedy 10p 9r, Novosel 9p)
Boxscore



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19390



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still puzzled as to why Burton starts and plays so many minutes? Luuc? Is she Really that good of a defender? To offset her horrific offense?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm still puzzled as to why Burton starts and plays so many minutes? Luuc? Is she Really that good of a defender? To offset her horrific offense?

Ruth Hamblin has been our starting 5 pretty much all season and is still our primary option at that spot. I haven't heard the coach's take on it, but I'm guessing we have started Burton these last couple of games vs Dandenong just for matchup reasons. (she's quicker than Ruth) It's a reactive approach that personally I'm not too fond of.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 13855
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
One series finishes in a sweep, the other goes to a game 3 decider on Sunday afternoon thanks to a memorable game from a Lynx Ledge.

Townsville 61 (Murray 16p 6r, Batkovic 14p 17r, Garbin 13p 8r, Wilson 8p)
Sydney 76 (Tupaea 18p 10r, Mitchell 16p 7a, Snell 13p, Wilson 11p, Taylor 10p 8r, Hamson 4p 6r)
Boxscore

Perth 91 (Whitcomb 41p 9r, Hamblin 14p 5r, Lavey 10p, Mijovic 7p 8r 3b)
Dandenong 71 (Cumming 30p 7r, Blicavs 14p, Kennedy 10p 9r, Novosel 9p)
Boxscore


Good to see Sami going off. Looking forward to see how she will do for the Storm Cool She is sneaky fast. Doesnt look that speedy but she has a pretty swift drive to the basket



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clichs possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." Karen Bryant
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi Final game 3 - Perth Lynx @ Dandenong Rangers - tips off in 1 hour

Live Stats:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/wnbl/577309/

Live Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d-n5uJvDvI

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7d-n5uJvDvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/06/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In game 3, Dandenong got out to an early lead against Perth just as they had done in their previous home games. The Lynx challenged in the 2nd half, clawing a 20 point deficit back to 6 at the final break, but that was as close as they got, and as the desperation increased, the margin blew out against the tough & composed Rangers.

Dandenong 81 (Cumming 22p 7r 4a, Novosel 16p 5r, Kennedy 13p 8r, Clydesdale 11p, Todhunter 7p 7r, Malott 7p)
Perth 63 (Whitcomb 20p 5r, Hamblin 15p 5r, Mijovic 9p 7r, Lavey 8p 5a)
Boxscore

---
So, fittingly, we end up with the #1 and #2 teams of the regular season facing off in the best-of-3 grand final series.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBL 2016/17 All Star 5
Suzi Batkovic
Sami Whitcomb
Leilani Mitchell
Asia Taylor
Marianna Tolo


Other awards already announced:
Defensive Player of the Year: Marianna Tolo (Uni of Canberra Capitals)
Coach of the Year: Cheryl Chambers (Sydney Uni Flames)
Rookie of the Year: Monique Conti (Melbourne Boomers)



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee


Last edited by Luuuc on 03/07/17 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3598
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/17 2:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Rookie of the Year: Monique Conti (Melbourne Boomers)


Shocked Monique Conti: 1.47 ppg (35% fg% 14% 3pt), 0.68 rpg, 0.58 apg

I guess all the best young Australians are playing for US colleges. You can feel happy about Kristy Wallace and Alanna Smith.



_________________
Under-loved, over-fed
My man's gone, so instead
I got rocks in my bed
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 12745



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/17 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc, what's the schedule for the finals?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Rookie of the Year: Monique Conti (Melbourne Boomers)


Shocked Monique Conti: 1.47 ppg (35% fg% 14% 3pt), 0.68 rpg, 0.58 apg

I guess all the best young Australians are playing for US colleges. You can feel happy about Kristy Wallace and Alanna Smith.

Yes, very happy with both of them lately Smile
And yes - it's rare that rookies make a big impact in the WNBL. They tend to start off with very minor bench roles and get eased into the team. Monique could be a handy WNBL player in the future, but right now she's still 17 years old and not expected to carry any kind of load in this league.



toad455 wrote:
Luuuc, what's the schedule for the finals?


Grand Final Series
Game 1: Saturday March 11th, 7:00pm
Game 2: Friday March 17th, 7:30pm
Game 3 (if needed): Sunday March 19th, 2:00pm



(7pm AEDT = 3am Eastern USA)



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 16876



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dusted off the video editing software to put together some Sami Whitcomb highlights from this season. Please give it a look Smile


<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lYIBT3nyadk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 13855
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/17 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her release cant be more faster then that. Love it.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clichs possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." Karen Bryant
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 12745



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like what I've seen of Whitcomb. I hope she works out with the Storm. I can see Seattle going small with Stewart at the 5 & Whitcomb at the 4 to play a more uptempo game.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 18815
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I really like what I've seen of Whitcomb. I hope she works out with the Storm. I can see Seattle going small with Stewart at the 5 & Whitcomb at the 4 to play a more uptempo game.

She'd be a small 3 at WNBA level. Playing the 4 would be insane.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin