RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Who should be the next Team USA head coach?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the next Team USA head coach?
Karen Aston
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Geno Auriemma
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Doug Bruno
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Brenda Frese
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Gail Goestenkors
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Quentin Hillsman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Muffet McGraw
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
Kevin McGuff
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kim Mulkey
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Mike Neighbors
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Scott Rueck
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Dawn Staley
22%
 22%  [ 16 ]
Tara VanDerveer
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Jeff Walz
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other
22%
 22%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 70

Author Message
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:01 pm    ::: Who should be the next Team USA head coach? Reply Reply with quote

Who should be the next Team USA head coach?



120-day poll



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheryl Reeve



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A WNBA coach has only done it once, so I didn't want to include them.
Figured it's a bigger, more involved job than just assistant coaching.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11300



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie White


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20224



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like going to someone other than a college coach, so yeah, Reeve would be ok...though I guess we would complain if she put Brunson on the team.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 7893
Location: Erotic City


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cheryl Reeve


i vote this.


MNfan22



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 2681



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other.

The team is basically made up of pro players and pro coaches already scout and know the players skill sets. College coaches can still be in the mix to assist.
Reeve, White, even Staley would be cool. Mike Thibault has been a Natl team assistant in the past, could throw him in the mix too.

But regardless, some politics will continue to play a part and a committee is still going to play its role in the selection process.



_________________
Minnesota Lynx-est 1999-WNBA Champs!'11,'13,'15
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17546



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carrie Graf



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Carrie Graf


That'd be a clever idea to help AUS's chances of winning.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Cheryl Reeve


i vote this.


me too


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17546



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Geno because he's an impossible homer



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5695



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote



GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13574
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
A WNBA coach has only done it once, so I didn't want to include them.
Figured it's a bigger, more involved job than just assistant coaching.


When Anne Donovan was named the National Team Head Coach in 2006 she was the Seattle Storm Head Coach, she did resign from the Storm in 2007, but there was no expectation of her resignation before 2008 by USA Basketball. So technically USA Basketball has named a WNBA Coach twice, but things happened outside of their control so one of those people was no longer a WNBA Coach at the time of the Olympics, but she was when she was named the National Team Head Coach.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6278



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Hammon. Putting Parkergate aside, I'm still happy with Geno - unless he loses. White is good. As for Reeve - why pick up Darth Vader when you can get the Emperor (Evil Bill)?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve and it's not even close.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 911



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Carrie Graf


I hear she's looking for a new job now. Would all the American players still need to forfeit the WNBA season? Wink


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11300



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?


I'm with you.
I think her inflated reputation is based largely on her name recognition as a player. I haven't seen much suggesting she's a great x's and o's coach.

Personally I'd probably pick Doug Bruno before her. He certainly has a better temperment.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?


Bruno is like Auriemma in sheep's clothing. Smile

I find it amazing Dave would choose Reeve over another round of Auriemma. UConn-fatigue from one of its biggest homers?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8193



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great question ... I voted for McGraw off the list, but Reeve would be a good choice.

I'm guessing the next coach will be female -- it would be more than ironic if Hammon wound up coaching (or does her participation in the Olympics as a Russian disqualify her?).



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm guessing the next coach will be female -- it would be more than ironic if Hammon wound up coaching (or does her participation in the Olympics as a Russian disqualify her?).


It doesn't disqualify her in terms of FIBA or the IOC. Whether USAB would select her is another matter altogether.



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Great question ... I voted for McGraw off the list, but Reeve would be a good choice.

I'm guessing the next coach will be female -- it would be more than ironic if Hammon wound up coaching (or does her participation in the Olympics as a Russian disqualify her?).


I voted for Reeve, but I did not think of Hammon. I like that choice also.


kool-aide



Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1650



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I much prefer a pro coach to a college coach for the next Oly coach. Will that happen? idk. It feels like USA Basketball has set up Staley as the heir apparent.

Of the current batch of assistants, I'd like to see Reeves get the job.

We could split the difference btwn college coaching experience & pro coaching experience and pick Gail Goestenkors. She has USA Basketball experience and WNBA assistant experience. And she's not a current head coach so that might give some space in terms of favoritism claims.


dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?


Bruno is like Auriemma in sheep's clothing. Smile

I find it amazing Dave would choose Reeve over another round of Auriemma. UConn-fatigue from one of its biggest homers?


Oh please....I didn't think he should do this team.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?


Bruno is like Auriemma in sheep's clothing. Smile

I find it amazing Dave would choose Reeve over another round of Auriemma. UConn-fatigue from one of its biggest homers?


Oh please....I didn't think he should do this team.


How come?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14299
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I'm guessing the next coach will be female -- it would be more than ironic if Hammon wound up coaching (or does her participation in the Olympics as a Russian disqualify her?).


It doesn't disqualify her in terms of FIBA or the IOC. Whether USAB would select her is another matter altogether.


Does the committee have a say in this? Because i can tell you know that Katie Smith will say HELL NO to Hammon as a coach. Laughing I remember her reaction when Hammon made the choice to play for Russia and how she acted towards Hammon during those games Shocked She would barely give her a hand and look at her.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Dawn Staley love makes no sense. Is her one Final Four run really that impressive?



It makes perfect sense. She's currently an assistant.


So is Doug Bruno and he has very little support. So is Cheryl Reeve and she wasn't considered a serious enough candidate to even get listed. What makes Staley so special?


Bruno is like Auriemma in sheep's clothing. Smile

I find it amazing Dave would choose Reeve over another round of Auriemma. UConn-fatigue from one of its biggest homers?


Oh please....I didn't think he should do this team.


How come?


I'm a "one term" guy. Share the wealth, other great coaches around.


Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 655
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Hammon and Hughes?


mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4645
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon.



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2655



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.

You are making the (poor) assumption that Geno is "the best coach". He is an excellent coach who runs a very successful program. But is he actually a better coach than some of the other options? Is he objectively better than someone like Reeve, or Hughes, or some other coach that has been successful at the professional level? Winning college championships has just as much to do with recruiting as it does coaching.

Unlike the players who can be objectively measured to some degree...as in Parker is clearly a better player than Stewart right now, measuring coaches is not that easy.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20224



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


but, but, but...could we have a Russian as head coach?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


but, but, but...could we have a Russian as head coach?

US Men's Soccer has a German as a head coach.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


Apples and oranges.

There are a limited amount of supremely talented players that qualify for the Olympic team and they have a limited window of opportunity due to age, injuries, etc.

There is no such limitation on a coach's ability to do their job, and it is one person, not 12.

I have no problem saying that Parker should be on the team and Geno should not continue to coach, even though I feel Geno is the best coach.

The biggest difference is supremely talented players can more than make up for the difference between a great and very good coach. I have no doubts that Reeve, McGraw, or Staley would win gold with this group if Geno was not coach.


FollowtheCardinalRule



Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 4969
Location: Denver


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


Well, the issue with this statement IMO is that college coaching is more than just coaching along the sidelines. While Geno is a very good X and O's coach I'd argue that his success at the college level is better attributed to the ability to recruit the best players. I think that it's highly plausible that there are coaches who are better at coaching on the sidelines than Geno in terms of their game plans. (See, Tara (Amber, baby!), Walz (bt. Baylor!), Muffet.) While those are just a few examples that come to mind, I'm sure that if you gave Trudi Lacey the Olympic Team, they'd walk away with gold. I think that the point being is that there are a lot of coaches who are able to come up with excellent game plans, and given the talent at their disposal, they would be able to succeed as well. I think that there is certainly an advantage to having Geno being the coach in terms of the increased media exposure that he brings as the "legend" of UConn is attached to the Olympic Team chasing Gold--however, it does seem to me that it creates an imbalance in the college game due to the incredible recruiting advantage it gives him.


dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


Let her coach women before we put her in charge of the women's national team.

She's an NBA coach, not a WNBA coach.


FollowtheCardinalRule



Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 4969
Location: Denver


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


Well, the issue with this statement IMO is that college coaching is more than just coaching along the sidelines. While Geno is a very good X and O's coach I'd argue that his success at the college level is better attributed to the ability to recruit the best players. I think that it's highly plausible that there are coaches who are better at coaching on the sidelines than Geno in terms of their game plans. (See, Tara (Amber, baby!), Walz (bt. Baylor!), Muffet.) While those are just a few examples that come to mind, I'm sure that if you gave Trudi Lacey the Olympic Team, they'd walk away with gold. I think that the point being is that there are a lot of coaches who are able to come up with excellent game plans, and given the talent at their disposal, they would be able to succeed as well. I think that there is certainly an advantage to having Geno being the coach in terms of the increased media exposure that he brings as the "legend" of UConn is attached to the Olympic Team chasing Gold--however, it does seem to me that it creates an imbalance in the college game due to the incredible recruiting advantage it gives him.


Perhaps I shouldn't say Trudi Lacey, considering that France beat a Geno-coached USA. I forgot about that.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


but, but, but...could we have a Russian as head coach?


The current head coach wasn't born in this country



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


The advantages college coaches get in recruiting and the pro coaches get in free agency are sufficient reason to limit them to one "term". When Geno was appointed head coach of Team USA in 2009 he had only five national championships and was five years removed from the most recent one. Since his appointment he's won six national championships in eight years. He's gotten an enormous advantage from being head coach of Team USA.



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2655



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.

You are making the (poor) assumption that Geno is "the best coach". He is an excellent coach who runs a very successful program. But is he actually a better coach than some of the other options? Is he objectively better than someone like Reeve, or Hughes, or some other coach that has been successful at the professional level? Winning college championships has just as much to do with recruiting as it does coaching.

Unlike the players who can be objectively measured to some degree...as in Parker is clearly a better player than Stewart right now, measuring coaches is not that easy.


If winning at a professional level is so important why have so few done it? And how many pro coaches are on the poll list compared to college coaches?

Which of the college coaches is better than Geno? Maybe McGraw. Maybe Tara?

But neither has shown any recent interest in USA basketball.

And you can say that Geno has won because he recruits the best players. But isn't that evidence that he has the most experience of any college level coach in dealing with elite level players? And what really interests me is how Geno's success lies in recruiting the "best player", and after signing them and coaching them to multi-championships and sending them to the pros where they win championships and are put on the US team I read posts claiming that there are better alternatives and that they are on the team only because of favoritism?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43685



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


Let her coach women before we put her in charge of the women's national team.

She's an NBA coach, not a WNBA coach.


Reverse sexism? I thought one of the good outcomes of Hammon coaching men is it teaches society to be more tolerant and not discriminate on the basis of gender.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19344
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
Is Hammon a legit possibility? She's another one who has a job in which the schedule probably conflicts a bit.


Let her coach women before we put her in charge of the women's national team.

She's an NBA coach, not a WNBA coach.

I wouldn't hugely care about not having coached women. Or about the Russian thing. But never having been a head coach at any level would exclude her for me, and I would think for USA Basketball as well.

If you're putting someone in charge of your national team, it seems a good idea for that person to have been in charge of some team somewhere beforehand.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
kool-aide



Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1650



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yup. Let's wait for Hammon to have a HEAD coaching job before recommending her to be the head coach for USA women's bball.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54457
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wouldn't hugely care about not having coached women. Or about the Russian thing. But never having been a head coach at any level would exclude her for me, and I would think for USA Basketball as well.


I have a feeling the Russian thing would bother USA Basketball more than it does you or me or most people on this board.



_________________
At the end of the fight is a tombstone white
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8193



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
linkster wrote:
I've read that Parker should be on the team simply because she is the best, or one of the best. Case closed. How do those who feel that way reconcile that opinion with one that says that Geno should step aside and give someone else a chance at coaching.

Shouldn't the best coach belong on the bench of the US national team? And yet only 8% of the respondents feel that way while in the other poll 92% feel that Parker should replace someone they feel isn't as good as her.

Very revealing.


Apples and oranges.

There are a limited amount of supremely talented players that qualify for the Olympic team and they have a limited window of opportunity due to age, injuries, etc.

There is no such limitation on a coach's ability to do their job, and it is one person, not 12.

I have no problem saying that Parker should be on the team and Geno should not continue to coach, even though I feel Geno is the best coach.

The biggest difference is supremely talented players can more than make up for the difference between a great and very good coach. I have no doubts that Reeve, McGraw, or Staley would win gold with this group if Geno was not coach.


X_________



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13574
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Great question ... I voted for McGraw off the list, but Reeve would be a good choice.

I'm guessing the next coach will be female -- it would be more than ironic if Hammon wound up coaching (or does her participation in the Olympics as a Russian disqualify her?).


I voted for Reeve, but I did not think of Hammon. I like that choice also.


So Geno Auriemma is not qualified to Coach USA Basketball because he is not a WNBA coach, but another person who is also not a WNBA coach is a good choice?



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11300



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone seriously believe for a second that USA Basketball would ever remotely consider Hammon given her response to being left off the team and the brouhaha that ensued?

I think that's a total non starter.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin