RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/16 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
so the only things to possibly make this draft interesting is if Mitchell, Vivians & DeShields declare early.

Lexie Brown
Kaela Davis
Diamond DeShields
Allisha Gray
Rebecca Greenwell
Mercedes Russell
Victoria Vivians

Big year for redshirts and transfers.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/30/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell would be kinda redudant to what SA already has. I think a SF like Vivians or a post in this draft would be beneficial to what they need. If Mitchell comes out, I think SA could address their needs even more so with trades.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/16 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPNW High School Rankings Class of 2013

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/30/16 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The class of the overhyped transfers Laughing

I am thinking the GMs will be looking at trades for those top picks and then look at productivity for some nice role players. Avoiding the drama along the way.

sammieee

PostPosted: 09/30/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Why would SA take Mitchell when they already have Jefferson and as for moment Robinson? That's short backcourt.

Because she would be by far the best player, unless Diamond shows DRASTIC improvement from her freshman season. You pick best player available, and then trade if needed.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/16 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The conspiracy theorists could propose that McGuff has done his best to keep the birthdate of such a prominent player a secret so as to avoid people pressuring Kelsey Mitchell into declaring early, or maybe even trying to keep that knowledge from Mitchell. He's been down that road before.

If Kelsey Mitchell was born on 11/11/1995, like that one article states, then she would indeed qualify to enter the 2017 draft. I have no clue what she will do, but here's my case for her to NOT enter the draft early.

1. This isn't the same as a redshirt or transfer player entering the draft early. This is the case of player being old for her class, similar to when Jewell Loyd entered the draft. It was a shock that Loyd entered the draft early. Kelsey Mitchell won't be earning her degree before the draft like a transfer or redshirt. Will that be a huge factor?

2. Mitchell's coach is McGuff, and he was able to talk Amber Harris into staying a 5th year at Xavier when her draft stock was at it's all time high. Xavier nearly made it into the Final Four. Harris isn't exactly the scholastic type, so he must have some strong persuasion skills to talk Harris into a 5th year. So there's that.

3. I'm not sure how well Mitchell's dad is doing as an assistant at OSU or how well he gets along with McGuff, but his nice-paying job could be tenuous if Kelsey is no longer there. Could put off any danger of losing that job for another year.

Pros to leaving early.
1. Hate school
2. Make money sooner
3. Easier to be #1 pick in 2017 than 2018 (see Loyd)

Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/16 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
The class of the overhyped transfers Laughing

I am thinking the GMs will be looking at trades for those top picks and then look at productivity for some nice role players. Avoiding the drama along the way.

Transfers might be on the entitled side (depending on the reason to transfer), so maybe they're a long term risk. See Bone, maybe see DeShields? We'll see about that one. Kaela Davis?

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 09/30/16 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the trade market on Mitchell?

SA : #1 and Sydney Colson
Wash : #2 and TRP

Wash takes care of both point guards, moves Cloud to more natural defensive position. Winces on TRP, tries to dangle Kia and Hartley.

SA avoids the smallest back court in W history, gets the closest thing to a Maya stopper (and good luck with that) and picks whoever it was they really wanted Wing Guard or Big.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault On The Washington Mystics Getting The No. 2 Overall Pick In WNBA Draft 2017

http://www.wnba.com/news/mike-thibault-washington-mystics-getting-no-2-overall-pick-wnba-draft-2017/

Quote:
Based on their record over the past two seasons, the Mystics had the fourth-highest odds to land the No. 1 overall pick. They didn’t jump all the way up to the top, but they did vault into the No. 2 slot. That will be the highest the Mystics have drafted since back in 2009, when they used the No. 2 overall pick in that draft to select Marissa Coleman.

Quote:
Understandably, he’s keeping that list of players close to the vest, but Thibault did note that the Mystics–who already have a strong post duo in Stefanie Dolson and Emma Meesseman–may be looking to add another perimeter player.

“We’re probably gonna be able to find a scorer on the perimeter in this draft, he said. “We’ve been streaky on the perimeter but we started to address that last year by drafting Kahleah Copper, a big small forward who can score and play on the wing. And probably we would look at that again too.”

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruth Riley Relishing In The Stars Winning The No. 1 Overall Pick

http://www.wnba.com/news/ruth-riley-relishing-stars-winning-no-1-overall-pick/

Quote:
“We lost Kayla McBride to injury for most of last season so to have her skill-set matched with the most talented player coming out of college to our roster next year is exciting,” said Riley. “Our team is competitive and the players want to win a championship, they understand it takes a solid roster to do that. When you look at our young our core with Moriah and the incredible year she’s coming off, and Kayla Alexander in her fourth year there’s a lot of pieces there to add a top draft pick to.”

Quote:
While Jefferson, McBride, Alexander and whoever the Stars choose to select with the first overall pick are certainties, the team is still in search of a head coach.

Lonely DRob just got a little lonelier. They forgot to mention her as a certainty.

Quote:
“I hope getting the first overall pick makes us even more appealing to our coaching candidates, said Riley. “You look at our roster and there’s something there to build something moving forward. You win championships with young talent and top draft picks. Hopefully this top draft pick next year is something that the candidates we’re talking to are excited about.”

I don't know that this is something you would state publicly if VJ is the leading candidate.

Quote:
Number one picks have captured 11 of the 20 MVP awards, seven of the 20 have won a title with the team that drafted them, and over the last nine seasons, the team with the No. 1 overall pick has improved its record by an average of 6.8 wins. The Stars are hoping this trend continues with their franchise.

This will probably be a #1 that helps lower that average win improvement number.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/16 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Riley just secretly told us Robinson isn't part of the Stars' future.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRob will be an important part of their team strategy - either as a player or as one who is traded for something good. She won't be given away for free or my estimation of Ruth as a GM will go way down.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/16 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
While Jefferson, McBride, Alexander and whoever the Stars choose to select with the first overall pick are certainties, the team is still in search of a head coach.

Lonely DRob just got a little lonelier. They forgot to mention her as a certainty.

This just means that the guy writing the article forgot her, not that Ruth or any of their fans did. It's on par for WNBA journalism.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Riley just secretly told us Robinson isn't part of the Stars' future.

Hard to say. It's not a direct quote from Riley. It may be the author's opinion or an oversight.

Angus24

PostPosted: 10/01/16 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SAS certainly doesn't need any more guards so if they took one with the first pick it would surely be part of some trade. I really doubt that they will trade DRob. I think she and Jefferson would be a really dynamic duo in the back court. SAS needs Hamby and Alexander to step up or get replaced in the lineup.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/01/16 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
SAS certainly doesn't need any more guards so if they took one with the first pick it would surely be part of some trade. I really doubt that they will trade DRob. I think she and Jefferson would be a really dynamic duo in the back court. SAS needs Hamby and Alexander to step up or get replaced in the lineup.

Jefferson will be better than Robinson. In no world could DRob be a SG. Why would the new coach want Jefferson at the 2 full time, when she's at her best at the 1? Why stunt MoJeff's growth? DRob is expendable imo.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/16 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Mitchell declares, they should take Coates. Trade Robinson for either a PF or SF. Robinson for Langhorne? Robinson for Dupree?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/01/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Unless Mitchell declares, they should take Coates. Trade Robinson for either a PF or SF. Robinson for Langhorne? Robinson for Dupree?

That would be a steal for the Storm and the Mercury. Drob might be expendable for the Stars but if she returns healthy she is still one of the better PG's in the league. The Stars should try to really get something good for her or else hold on to it so that teams can see that she is fully healthy and back to her old self therefore her stock goes up again.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draftsite.com updated their stuff, and here's what they got going now.

http://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2017/

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/01/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't watch a ton of WCBB, but I have seen Kelsey Plum and Diamond DeShields play several times. If DeShields comes out, she's an enormous wildcard that I find intriguing, particularly because I think she'd work well within a Bill Laimbeer philosophy. The Libs don't have a first round pick, but they do have a lot of young pieces that they can move if the right opportunity presents itself. And depending on whether DD plays like a first overall pick this year or shoots .391 overall and .248 from 3 again, that also affects what it would take to acquire the needed draft choice to draft her. Can't argue with the talent though. LFO has done well in the past with the bad girl types who have a high talent ceiling.

PostPosted: 10/01/16 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill does have an up on most coaches in terms of dealing with superstar Dads...

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/01/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don't watch a ton of WCBB, but I have seen Kelsey Plum and Diamond DeShields play several times. If DeShields comes out, she's an enormous wildcard that I find intriguing, particularly because I think she'd work well within a Bill Laimbeer philosophy. The Libs don't have a first round pick, but they do have a lot of young pieces that they can move if the right opportunity presents itself. And depending on whether DD plays like a first overall pick this year or shoots .391 overall and .248 from 3 again, that also affects what it would take to acquire the needed draft choice to draft her. Can't argue with the talent though. LFO has done well in the past with the bad girl types who have a high talent ceiling.

The idea I floated out there in the Lib 17 thread was Rodgers and Swords to SA for #1 Deshields. (Not sure I would do it, but if you think NY needs one more star and Diamond could be that player the Liberty might throw the dice.)

SA
Jeffeson, Rodgers, McBride, N'Dour, Swords
Colson, Montgomery, Currie, Hamby, Alexander

I would still try to move Robinson for a starting level PF

NY
Wright, Prince, Deshields, Charles, Stokes
Boyd, Zellous, Schimmel, Allen, Zahui B.

bring back Bulgak try to pick up C. Little in free agency

I think both teams would consider it. It really depends on Deshields proving herself this season, and if SA wants to get better quicker or pull a 76ers and just keep collecting top lottery picks for another year or two.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/01/16 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at Shades high school ranking above there a a bunch of players in the top 30 that we arn't even being mentioned as potential draftees, what happened to some of these player? Why aren't they in the conversation? (Harper, Reimer, Jackson, Chidom, McCall, Williams, James, smalls, Webb, Wright). Just curious really don't know. Also any sleepers out there?

Just asking, it seems strange that the top picks are low on the list.

What other transfers do people see as having pro potential and being likely to declare after this season?

I have my doubts about MItchell wanting to leave since she is an actual junior and wouldn't have graduated but I guess Loyd and Prince both did it so it is not impossible to believe.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Looking at Shades high school ranking above there a a bunch of players in the top 30 that we arn't even being mentioned as potential draftees, what happened to some of these player? Why aren't they in the conversation? (Harper, Reimer, Jackson, Chidom, McCall, Williams, James, smalls, Webb, Wright). Just curious really don't know. Also any sleepers out there?

Just asking, it seems strange that the top picks are low on the list.

What other transfers do people see as having pro potential and being likely to declare after this season?

I have my doubts about Mitchell wanting to leave since she is an actual junior and wouldn't have graduated but I guess Loyd and Prince both did it so it is not impossible to believe.

McCall has been brought up a couple of times. People who like Stanford will hype her per usual. Might be a first rounder depending on how many declare early.

Reimer was having Achilles issues and decided to transfer to Mich St from ND. She could be a sneaky pick (a little less sneaky if we start talking about her). Because of her baggage, I'm betting her stock drops about a round, but a lot depends on how well she does this next season. I'll keep an eye on her since she's playing in the Big Ten.

The rest of those names don't cause a stirring for me, but you can watch and decide for yourself. Wink Me doing all those game threads all these years has accomplished nothing if people aren't lured into watching the games.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

The idea I floated out there in the Lib 17 thread was Rodgers and Swords to SA for #1 Deshields. (Not sure I would do it, but if you think NY needs one more star and Diamond could be that player the Liberty might throw the dice.)

SA
Jeffeson, Rodgers, McBride, N'Dour, Swords
Colson, Montgomery, Currie, Hamby, Alexander

I would still try to move Robinson for a starting level PF

NY
Wright, Prince, Deshields, Charles, Stokes
Boyd, Zellous, Schimmel, Allen, Zahui B.

bring back Bulgak try to pick up C. Little in free agency

I think both teams would consider it. It really depends on Deshields proving herself this season, and if SA wants to get better quicker or pull a 76ers and just keep collecting top lottery picks for another year or two.

It's an intriguing discussion. I don't think DD is too far off from having the skills of an Angel McCoughtry. The strength factor might be a differential in why she's nowhere near as dominant...and less of a factor getting to the foul line. And let's face it, even if Angel embellishes calls she also readily accepts contact. Deshields has to be willing to do that sort of thing if she is going to be a sub-30% 3 point shooter. Then again, if you offered Rodgers and Swords for Angel, you'd get laughed off the phone by Atlanta. So you'd be making that DD trade based on the potential of what she might do rather than what she has done. Unless DD has a year like Angel had for Louisville in '08-'09 where she moves into another level, that's a trade that SAS might accept based on their needs. I'm pretty sure on my end I'd do it. A SF with potential to athletically dominate is just what the Libs need. And I'm confident in LFO's system that DD would be a double-digit scorer as a rookie, because she'd be an excellent fit.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 7 of 73

Jump to: