RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I can see the somewhat similar argument with Plum vs K.Mitchell, although I don't think it's entirely fair - mainly because I just think Plum is a significantly better player than Banham. The situations they're dropped in and the coaches they're playing for will have a huge impact on how they translate, but I could certainly imagine K.Mitchell being effective more quickly. Plum may have greater issues working out what she can get away with against WNBA-level athletes.

Could not have said it any better richyyyy ! Exclamation

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Lexi Brown ? Shes eligible to enter this years draft , where do you guys see her falling ? 1st Round id hope for sure . Ahead of Peterson & Allen . Maybe Chicago or LA in the 1st round ? Or do you see her having a better shot at the lottery in next years draft 2018 ?

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiff Mitchell has tendencies that can be scouted so she eventually struggled as teams watched her play. Banham bigger than Plum and better passer but like Plum played no defense and not athletic enough. Both players had the ball in their hands 95% of their careers, not a good sign if you are moving on to play at a higher level. K Michell much better athlete than both, sure has problems re ball dominant etc but could become a better defender. None really great choices. DD c'mon now she could never be a facilitator too many turnovers and she is also ball dominant and not a team player.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/02/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If Reimer comes out, she's crazy. I don't think she'll get drafted.

In general, I doubt the one-year transfers are coming out. DeShields gave two years, and in theory she may be graduating (don't know anything about her academic life). That's more acceptable. Yes, I do think it matters to them.

Isn't Reimer in her last year?

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
If Reimer comes out, she's crazy. I don't think she'll get drafted.

In general, I doubt the one-year transfers are coming out. DeShields gave two years, and in theory she may be graduating (don't know anything about her academic life). That's more acceptable. Yes, I do think it matters to them.

Isn't Reimer in her last year?

She only played 5 games last year, so I think she got a waiver. I don't really know. I was responding to J-Spoon's question.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the one year transfers and red-shirts should still be on pace to graduate. They may have missed a year of basketball, but I'm sure they were still pursuing their academics it is only the age eligible true juniors who would be in a position to not finnish their degree if they leave.

I'm not saying she will leave but Russell is an interesting possibility, even though most think she needs to prove herself a little more, the current draft is weak at the post her potential might even make her the first post drafted this year, which won't be the case in 18. If she joined this draft I could see Russell going anywhere from 4-10.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Most of the one year transfers and red-shirts should still be on pace to graduate. They may have missed a year of basketball, but I'm sure they were still pursuing their academics it is only the age eligible true juniors who would be in a position to not finnish their degree if they leave.

I'm not saying she will leave but Russell is an interesting possibility, even though most think she needs to prove herself a little more, the current draft is weak at the post her potential might even make her the first post drafted this year, which won't be the case in 18. If she joined this draft I could see Russell going anywhere from 4-10.

If she waited til next year and mitchell diamond and lexie all declare this year she could be anywhere from 2-7 in 18 vs 4-10 in 17 ...ijs and this also means tennessee outlasts OSU in the NCAA's this year to watch if mitchell declares or not 24 hrs after they lose

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that most of the one-year transfers can end up graduating. However, it does seem a bit ungrateful to me to leave after only one season when the school carried you through an inactive redshirt year. I'm just looking at it from a human relationships point of view. Did the player lead the coach to believe they'd be there for more than one year? Maybe I'm just being naive. Geno did say that if Azurá Stevens stays through her fourth year, he believes she'll be the #1 pick in 2019. Implicit in that statement is his acceptance of the possibility Stevens may leave in 2018. Maybe that's how everybody operates now. Attitudes are changing so quickly, it's hard to even speculate anymore.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I continue to be amazed that so many prospects are willing to sit out an entire year in order to move. Especially the ones who anticipate making a living playing the sport for at least a little while. So many people who must really dislike where they ended up the first time.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I continue to be amazed that so many prospects are willing to sit out an entire year in order to move. Especially the ones who anticipate making a living playing the sport for at least a little while. So many people who must really dislike where they ended up the first time.

They're 18-22 year olds, who is to say they're even thinking about their future professional careers while living out their college playing time and education. I'm really not surprised someone that age would move on from a place they likely decided upon as a, what, 16-18 year old.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But they're also 18-22 year olds who've spent an awful lot of their childhood focussed on playing basketball. And they voluntarily make a choice that essentially blocks them from playing it competitively for a full year. Vets like Taurasi, Parker and McCoughtry might want to take a year off these days to rest their bodies; I can't imagine them wanting to when they were 18.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am surprised that they stay. If it were me, I would be overseas earning. Plenty of time to get that degree if you really want it. The number of years you can play are limited.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top schools over-recruit and make promises to the players they know they can't keep ALL THE TIME. To think differently is naivety. In other words, they screw over some players in their own interest of getting the best possible roster. The players should do what they feel is in their best interest, and that should be the ONLY consideration. Don't feel sorry for these schools.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amen to that.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/02/17 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that most of the one-year transfers can end up graduating. However, it does seem a bit ungrateful to me to leave after only one season when the school carried you through an inactive redshirt year. I'm just looking at it from a human relationships point of view. Did the player lead the coach to believe they'd be there for more than one year? Maybe I'm just being naive. Geno did say that if Azurá Stevens stays through her fourth year, he believes she'll be the #1 pick in 2019. Implicit in that statement is his acceptance of the possibility Stevens may leave in 2018. Maybe that's how everybody operates now. Attitudes are changing so quickly, it's hard to even speculate anymore.

I think this is all very valid, and if a player transfers and loves their new college and team etc there really isn't much reason to leave (besides income which might be less important to some than to others.)

My original intent was to see if anyone had any speculation beyond my pure guess work that anyone else might be considering. Clearly there is something out there even if it is just strong rumor that Mitchell and Deshields are considering it.

I do think more players declaring early will continue as a trend, but still in a very small degree, one here, two there, this year there are so many interesting possibilities that nothing would surprise me.

With Loyd opening the door for true juniors who meet the age requirement, and Mitchell be discussed as a serious possibility does anyone think Canada (I believe she is age eligible this year) might be considering it?

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Canada's game, but I would hope she stays her final year and develop her outside shot.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I've pointed out before, there has been two early declarers each of the last two drafts, all of whom were Top 5 picks.

There were others who were eligible last year, but no others declared. So these others didn't want to declare, possibly because it wouldn't be worth the while if you're not a high pick. I'd be somewhat intrigued if Russell would declare because of her size, but if Mavunga declared, I wouldn't care. I wouldn't have her as a first round pick. Canada... I don't think too much about because I'm no more excited about her than the current crop of guards.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK I think Mavunga's size and versatility could pique someone's interest. I'm not sure she would be top 5 if we're setting that as a bench mark to declare but I'm pretty sure she would go in the first round. 6 seems possible 7 seems like a real possibility, and I'm not sure if she is still there that she would get by 10,11, or 12, 14 would be her basement IMO.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's somebody that should be getting more second round draft buzz

sigur3

PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fwiw, I'm hearing that DeShields will almost certainly declare...

Mitchell, though, has either not yet decided or is playing her cards much closer to her chest.

Last edited by sigur3 on 03/03/17 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Was there ever any doubt?

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Was there ever any doubt?

Probably not, but it was nice hearing it from someone heavily involved in drafting, rather than just speculating.

justinabina

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Curt Miller is at the Pac 12 tournament... maybe looking at Wiese at #8?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
I see Curt Miller is at the Pac 12 tournament... maybe looking at Wiese at #8?

could do worse. Weise has size, can handle, can shoot and is willing to shoot when it matters, excellent work ethic...

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiese might be gone by 8. I think her stock has risen significantly since the start of the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 40 of 73

Jump to: