RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 02/28/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swishappeal posted a decent Mitchell v Plum article , with some fancy stat talk :
http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/2/28/14752648/kelsey-plum-mitchell-comparision-ncaaw-wnba

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="740" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFSKKxSfAEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Swishappeal posted a decent Mitchell v Plum article , with some fancy stat talk :
http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/2/28/14752648/kelsey-plum-mitchell-comparision-ncaaw-wnba

Very interesting analysis.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/01/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

I liked the article but i dont agree on who they believe will be the better pro player. Mitchell will win ROY if she declares

PostPosted: 03/01/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toad455 posted a pretty solid 2-round list last Saturday on draftsite.com:
https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/toad455/wnba/mock-draft/2017/

If Mitchell & Diamond coming out were to push Shayla Cooper down to NY at #14, that could solve NY's "problem" at the 3 for next decade, and would be a steal, IMO.

...plus, she's a creative defender:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x177110" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/01/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

If Mitchell & Diamond coming out were to push Shayla Cooper down to NY at #14, that could solve NY's "problem" at the 3 for next decade, and would be a steal, IMO.

...plus, she's a creative defender:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x177110" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was on board til you said defender & Shayla Cooper ...I dont speak that language . Shes a great fit in NY though i do agree but i wouldnt bet on her being a better 3 than say Zellous AT ALL , maybe a better 4 in the future

PostPosted: 03/01/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have y'all watched Ohios State this year errr obviously NOT. Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 03/01/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper and Ohio St are peaking at the right time.

Don't want to turn this into another NYL thread (there's enough hand-wringing going on in their own thread), but there could be a few interesting possibilities at #14: Shayla Cooper, Alexis Prince, Brittany Sykes, Nina Davis.... maybe Jankoska if the Libs are done with the Boyd experiment.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/01/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My big question in the Kelsey vs. Kelsey debate is this: Plum has steadily improved over her career due to her desire and commitment to be the best. Mitchell arguably had her best season as a Freshman, and hasn't really grown as a player since. Is that a product of coaching, or of self-discipline? And how will that translate to their pro careers?

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/01/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

I liked the article but i dont agree on who they believe will be the better pro player. Mitchell will win ROY if she declares

Can you give your reasons on why you think Mitchell will be the better professional? I haven't seen much of either player. I know they both can put some points on the board and their defense is below average but Im curious to know why you're siding with Mitchell. Just curious.

PostPosted: 03/01/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

I am glad that someone posted a mock draft. Thank you, Toad.

With that being said, I have to disagree with the selection of Nina Davis over Shatori Walker-Kimbrough and Alexis Peterson.

Davis is a 5-11 power forward with limited shooting range. She will have to make the transition to the wing in the W, which will be incredibly difficult, as she will be defending bigger and quicker threes. If she plays as a four, she will be incredibly undersized (and she does not have a 6-4/6-5 wingspan to compensate).

And with her shooting, she has made three three-point baskets in four years. She only shoots 68 percent from the line. As Clay Kallam likes to say, normally if you see someone who does not shoot well from the outside, but is an 80 percent free throw shooter, you can develop the player into becoming a better outside shooter because the mechanics are there. But Davis does not appear to have that.

Look, she has had a wonderful college career. She has been a true overachiever. But she should not be a first round WNBA pick with such glaring weaknesses for the professional level.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/01/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

thanks for the plug. I honestly don't know who Connecticut is thinking of drafting or what position they need filled the most. After Coates & Jones, it's mostly a guard heavy draft class. I don't see them taking Osahor as Connecticut already picked up Danielle Adams. Alexis Jones is my sleeper in this draft. And basically after pick #15, I just drafted by best available. And it's mostly guards I have in the 2nd round.

With this being a guard heavy draft, I see some posts sneaking into the 2nd round if teams draft based on need. Some options:

- Hannah Little, Oakland
- Destinee Young, Old Dominion
- Jasmine Joyner, Chattanooga
- Kailyn Williams, Bethune-Cookman

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 03/01/17 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/01/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
My big question in the Kelsey vs. Kelsey debate is this: Plum has steadily improved over her career due to her desire and commitment to be the best. Mitchell arguably had her best season as a Freshman, and hasn't really grown as a player since. Is that a product of coaching, or of self-discipline? And how will that translate to their pro careers?

Uh, no. Mitchell was far better as a sophomore and junior than as a freshman.

stever

PostPosted: 03/01/17 9:43 pm    ::: DeShields wants to be the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

https://theundefeated.com/features/tennessee-diamond-deshields-delino-deshields/

Quote:
Your dad was the 12th overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft in 1987 and your brother was the eighth pick in 2010. Do you have a goal of being picked higher in the WNBA draft?

Of course. I want to go No. 1. That’s very possible for me. That’s always been my goal, to go No. 1 in the draft, not just get drafted.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/01/17 10:35 pm    ::: Re: DeShields wants to be the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://theundefeated.com/features/tennessee-diamond-deshields-delino-deshields/

Quote:
Your dad was the 12th overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft in 1987 and your brother was the eighth pick in 2010. Do you have a goal of being picked higher in the WNBA draft?

Of course. I want to go No. 1. That’s very possible for me. That’s always been my goal, to go No. 1 in the draft, not just get drafted.

Unless she's delusional enough to think she'd be drafted ahead of Aja Wilson, being drafted #1 would only be possible in 2017. So if that's important enough to her....

She continues to demonstrate her humbleness. Smile

Last edited by Shades on 03/04/17 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/01/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So with the consensus now being that Mitchell and Deshields are coming out (Personally I think it is about 50/50 for both. I could see both receiving a lot of pressure to stay or even wanting to stay because Ohio St and Tenn should be better next year than this year and at least be in the conversation for the final four, if that matters to either I could see them wanting to stay).

But my real question is will anyone else make the early leap?

Based on absolutely nothing I feel like L. Brown or Mavunga might.

And a real dark horse might be Reimer.

Again all of this is pure speculation.

Anyone else got a feeling about anyone, speculate away.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Reimer comes out, she's crazy. I don't think she'll get drafted.

In general, I doubt the one-year transfers are coming out. DeShields gave two years, and in theory she may be graduating (don't know anything about her academic life). That's more acceptable. Yes, I do think it matters to them.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Selfishly, I want them all to declare. If you're good enough, don't waste another year of your near-prime playing in the minor leagues (I appreciate there are other, good reasons for staying in school. But I want to watch the best players in the best league).

I'd have been really interested to see what happened if someone like Griner turned pro out of high school. She could've immediately made a lot of money overseas. Would there have been pressure on the WNBA to change their rules? Would USA Basketball (even with their ties to the NBA/WNBA) have called her up to the full training squad when she was still years away from being eligible to play professionally in the USA? Especially considering the really big money would've been in doing something like Epiphanny Prince and becoming 'Russian' as part of the deal.

I understand why the rules are the way they are, especially considering the relative lack of money in the women's game. But it just seems unfair that the guys end up signing at least three or four big contracts after their initial deal, while you're already starting to wonder if the women are declining as they come off their rookie scale contracts. Athletic careers are so short, and all those college years can really take a bite out of the overall earning potential.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So with the consensus now being that Mitchell and Deshields are coming out (Personally I think it is about 50/50 for both. I could see both receiving a lot of pressure to stay or even wanting to stay because Ohio St and Tenn should be better next year than this year and at least be in the conversation for the final four, if that matters to either I could see them wanting to stay).

But my real question is will anyone else make the early leap?

Based on absolutely nothing I feel like L. Brown or Mavunga might.

And a real dark horse might be Reimer.

Again all of this is pure speculation.

Anyone else got a feeling about anyone, speculate away.

If there was anyone else besides Mitchell and DeShields to do it, I think it would be Lexie Brown. She's the next best of the potential early declarers. A possibility of Allisha Gray. I don't think either of them will though.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/02/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Selfishly, I want them all to declare. If you're good enough, don't waste another year of your near-prime playing in the minor leagues (I appreciate there are other, good reasons for staying in school. But I want to watch the best players in the best league).

I'd have been really interested to see what happened if someone like Griner turned pro out of high school. She could've immediately made a lot of money overseas. Would there have been pressure on the WNBA to change their rules? Would USA Basketball (even with their ties to the NBA/WNBA) have called her up to the full training squad when she was still years away from being eligible to play professionally in the USA? Especially considering the really big money would've been in doing something like Epiphanny Prince and becoming 'Russian' as part of the deal.

I understand why the rules are the way they are, especially considering the relative lack of money in the women's game. But it just seems unfair that the guys end up signing at least three or four big contracts after their initial deal, while you're already starting to wonder if the women are declining as they come off their rookie scale contracts. Athletic careers are so short, and all those college years can really take a bite out of the overall earning potential.

I don't have a problem with that as long as all parties understand the situation going in. At this point, men's coaches pretty much expect their most talented players to leave after one year. I assume they plan accordingly. The only reason I believe that the one-year transfers will stay in school is because the college gave them a scholarship freebie during their redshirt year. So, repaying the school with just one season as a player seems a bit chintzy. Not that teams haven't willingly accepted a 2 for 1 deal in the past. For instance, Leillani Mitchell had already completed three years at Idaho before transferring to Utah. All she had to offer was one year of eligibility, but Utah wanted her badly enough to absorb two years of tuition. As long as everybody is on the same page, then it's fine.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond DeShields has always been a question mark for me. Not for her athleticism but for the other attributes she displays at times, as mostly Clay has opined.

Some players do not like or want to be coached. Some players do not like or want to play defense. Some players do not like or want to be second level leaders or be led by others. Some players do not have, show or always enlist a positive attitude or demeanor. Some players do not always hustle and give 100% effort.

For SAS, VJ will not put up with players employing the above less than positive attributes. However, she well knows that all of these attributes can be learned, demonstrated, changed or corrected should a player want to. She will need to decide whether the time and effort invested by the coaching staff and the effect on the other players will likely produce a beneficial undertaking should a player demonstrate some or all of these tendencies.

SAS is Moriah Jefferson's team and she is and will continue to be its primary leader. Moriah always portrays and demonstrates a positive attitude, energy and team spirit that encourages her team mates. She expects the other players on her team to do the same and follow her orders and properly run the plays called on the floor.

Not saying that Diamond coincides with all of the above "Some Players" but in her history she has shown given tendencies that have some people questioning her at times.

Diamond currently is not a great shooter. Can she become one? The ability is there.

Can she defend? Yes, she is a good defender but like many players may not always defend up to her ability.

She is a 3 player that can play the 1 and 2. Good 3 players like Diamond are very rare, as most know. So, she is a most valuable commodity should she produce up to her ability and potential.

Diamond hardly ever smiles but almost always has a depressed look on her face when on the floor. When she does smile it is electric! Is this important? Do the other players feed off of it? Does it portray team values and support for the coaching staff? Is something bothering her? I cannot come to grips with an answer. There could be countless reasons and legitimate answers, i.e., her general nature or simply being unaware.

So, again, it comes down to the proverbial risk/reward choice. With Plum, you know exactly what you are going to get 100% of the time. Mitchell is pretty much a given to. These two have pretty much matched their potential offensively. According to Sue Bird, Plum is an outstanding passer - one of the best she's seen. Diamond, most believe, has the higher ceiling of the three should she desire to aggressively produce, progress and perfect.

Ruth and VJ will have to answer the above questions and decide on a #1. Ruth and VJ are both pretty good judges of talent and character and beneficially, they both played in the WNBA and overseas professionally. Their closer involvement with these three players and their respective coaches should help make clear their final decision.

Hoping for the best...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/02/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The science behind Plum's shot is comparable to Curry's
http://es.pn/2mDenLa

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

Can you give your reasons on why you think Mitchell will be the better professional? I haven't seen much of either player. I know they both can put some points on the board and their defense is below average but Im curious to know why you're siding with Mitchell. Just curious.

because i believe her adjustment period will not be as big of a transition as plums will . Mitchell's style of play fits perfectly with the WNBA . Mitchell has more WNBA tools to succeed right away . Not saying plum wont but she will have to work a bit harder for buckets due to the speed and size of the game in the W. Mitchell seems to have more way to score in her arsenal and her handle is better suited to create space and get her shot off against anyone in the W from any range .

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I made a similar argument before last year's draft: that however good they eventually turned out to be, Tiffany Mitchell would have a smoother immediate transition to WNBA level than Rachel Banham (and I turned out to be right, for once Wink ). T.Mitchell just had more obviously translatable skills, and we'd seen lots of players like her succeed before. Even if she wasn't great, she was going to be a serviceable bench guard (I think my comparison was Tan White, which isn't a great parallel, but gives an idea). Banham, on the other hand, was a kind of player that we just haven't seen succeed much in the WNBA. The slow, combo-guard gunner, with questionable defense and ballhandling. There were just much more glaring bust possibilities, even if you might believe that she'd ultimately become the better player (and she still could - her rookie year certainly didn't tell us everything).

I can see the somewhat similar argument with Plum vs K.Mitchell, although I don't think it's entirely fair - mainly because I just think Plum is a significantly better player than Banham. The situations they're dropped in and the coaches they're playing for will have a huge impact on how they translate, but I could certainly imagine K.Mitchell being effective more quickly. Plum may have greater issues working out what she can get away with against WNBA-level athletes.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham was injured.... but left's not make that a factor in anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 39 of 73

Jump to: