RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 03/21/17 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Jefferson/Plum/McBride would hardly be the smallest perimeter in league history, but if it doesn't work you can still play them all 30 minutes a night with minimal crossover when matchups work out.

As is invariably the case, they should just take whoever they think is the best player. Don't go with DeShields just because she seems an easier fit; only take her if you think she'll be the better WNBA player.

All of this. You won 7 games last year. Take the best player available and figure out the rest later.

zune69

PostPosted: 03/21/17 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite the poor shooting performance,Deshields still managed to get to the ft line 12 times.Imo Deshields didn't look 100%.There was no fluidity to her game.Diamond wasn't aggressively going for rebounds nor did we see her normal burst of open court speed.Deshields sat 9 minutes in the 2nd quarter.Tennessee scored 8 points during that time span.Whatever caused Deshields to take herself out of the Dayton game probably played a factor in Diamonds poor performance.Plum played a great game.However,to be fair,Oklahoma is a poor defensive basketball team.OU is 2nd worst in their conference in pts allowed,last in 3ptfg% allowed,and 4th worst in fg% allowed.Diamond played a road game against a good defensive basketball team while Plum played a home game versus a poor defensive basketball team.Washington outshot OU at the FT line 28-8....that's some home cooking.

I believe Plum will be a very good player at the next level,maybe even an all-star.I just hope SA drafting Plum doesn't turn into a Diggins/Sims situation all over again,lots of offense & poor defense.And to write a talented player like Deshields off after one bad game is just foolish.I'm sure Laimbeer would be happy to have Deshields on the Liberty...

Shades

PostPosted: 03/21/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't be fooled: Chantel Osahor is much more than a complement to Kelsey Plum

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18951018/women-ncaa-tournament-chantel-osahor-vital-part-washington-huskies-success

Quote:
The WNBA draft will be held in April not long after the end of the NCAA tournament. One WNBA coach calls Osahor an "intriguing" prospect.

Her size, mobility and versatility remind a few WNBA coaches of Danielle Adams, the Texas A&M product who burst on to the scene in leading the Aggies to a national title and then carved out a five-year career with the San Antonio Stars as a role-playing post before she was waived last spring.

Quote:
There are also comparisons to former Oklahoma star Courtney Paris, who dominated the post in her collegiate career, but took longer to find her way as a pro and was cut from a handful of WNBA teams before settling in with the Tulsa Shock/Dallas Stars over the past few years.

At one point, there was question about whether Osahor wanted to play in the WNBA. She laid that issue to rest.

"I do want to play," Osahor said. "Having the confidence in my game, knowing I can contribute to a team in the WNBA. There are not a lot of players like me. I do think I can help a team."

I agree. That's why I have been unwavering about my desire to draft her at #12.

Quote:
Neighbors said he has talked to WNBA coaches about Osahor and they are excited about her potential as a pro.

One WNBA coach projected that Osahor might be a late first-round to early second-round pick.

"If she can find a coach that believes in her as much as I do, and teammates that understand what she brings to the table, she will be great," Neighbors said. "I don't think there is any question that she makes everybody on her team better. There isn't a pro coach out there who couldn't use somebody like her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 03/21/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope she is not taken at 7.

I thought I read that she doesn't practice. Is that true? If so why not? Seems like that would be a problem.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I thought I read that she doesn't practice. Is that true? If so why not? Seems like that would be a problem.

She has leg issues.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/21/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Randy, you're back! Where have you been? We missed your humor! Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/21/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Bad knees and bad conditioning. I agree that it is a problem but lots of people here don't seem to agree.

justinabina

PostPosted: 03/21/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

She had some serious injuries in the past.

Good to see you posting - I've missed your humour!

Randy

PostPosted: 03/21/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Randy, you're back! Where have you been? We missed your humor! Very Happy

Aw shucks! Very Happy You need a sense of humor to be a Dream fan lately. Been really busy though.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/21/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
After tonight, anyone who uses "because she plays in a stronger conference" as an excuse for DeShields' shooting %s compared to Plum's can sit down. The Pac-12 has 2 more teams in the sweet 16 than the ACC and 3 more than the SEC. The PAC's 6th best team beat a 2 seed and their 5th best almost beat a 1 seed. They've been the best all year (and last year, actually). So, no, I don't think DeShields' shooting is because the plays tougher opponents, because she doesn't. It's because she's not a great shooter.

Hell yes to this. These prospects are basically divas with hype and all have a negative side. I don't think any of them are worth the risk when none will be impact players. The problem with the DD was not 100% is the crying wolf syndrome that has been going on for years.

IMO we will see who the smart GMs are over the ones going on hype.

UK1996

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of people are caught up in what Deshields could become, rather than what she is now. Her freshman year at North Carolina I was sure she was going to become a superstar. I'm not sure what I would do if I was San Antonio. If Deshields declares, you have player who has unlimited potential but has never produced consistently. With Plum you have a scorer who is just flat out impressive, but she lacks in height and defense, plus you already have a young player who plays her position.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I think a lot of people are caught up in what Deshields could become, rather than what she is now. Her freshman year at North Carolina I was sure she was going to become a superstar. I'm not sure what I would do if I was San Antonio. If Deshields declares, you have player who has unlimited potential but has never produced consistently.

I'd be so much more comfortable with this within an NBA framework. If DeShields was a guy, with her athletic gifts she'd probably be in the draft pool as a 19 year old kid, one year removed from AAU ball and high school, maybe even still growing. But she's 22. Even bouncing around multiple colleges, even if you think Warlick is a useless coach, there should be a more polished product by this point. There should be more development. Hell, you could argue there should simply be more winning. Most of the high-end WNBA prospects who've been mentioned over the years as potential #1 picks, even if surrounded by minimal talent on their college teams, have dragged those teams to some success (or at least an NCAA run or two). A bit like DeShields herself, her teams seem to look great occasionally, but flatter to deceive on a far more regular basis.

I understand why DeShields may go #1, and why teams might fall in love with her physical gifts. But if you forced me to bet on it, I'd take Plum to ultimately have the more successful pro career.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Hell, you could argue there should simply be more winning. Most of the high-end WNBA prospects who've been mentioned over the years as potential #1 picks, even if surrounded by minimal talent on their college teams, have dragged those teams to some success (or at least an NCAA run or two).

The last player to be chosen #1 without ever making a F4 was LaToya Thomas...

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I don't recommend her for ATL either. She needs a specific role, and ATL doesn't bother laying those out. But for the Lynx, I see her filling the McCarville role at a rookie price. Rebounding and passing in a backup role. Osahor and the Lynx are a nice fit for each other.

Quote:
"Obviously, just like her college experience, she is going to have to find the right fit." Fit. It is a concept that Osahor knows will figure big in her future.

Randy wrote:

There's a difference between not needing to practice to not being able to practice. She plays full minutes at Washington, and they've figured out a way to make it work.

And.... if that switch flips for her and she gets into good shape, then the Lynx would eventually get lottery quality talent at a #12 price. Not much risk at #12.

zune69

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The last player to be chosen #1 without ever making a F4 was LaToya Thomas...

Diamond's reached the elite eight 2-times in 3 tournament appearances.

2014-Made it to the elite 8 without coach Hatchell.Beat #1 seed south carolina in the sweet 16

Do we give Deshields credit for leading her team to a upset victory over USC ? (8-16fg,19 pts)...UNC lost the elite 8 game to stanford.If I remember correctly,Diamond played the stanford game with a sprained ankle and knee.She suffered the injuries in the previous game versus USC.

2016-Made it to the elite 8.....20p/10r/5a/5t/8-21 fg vs syracuse.Not the most efficient game,but Syracuse was just better.

2017-Lost road game to Louisville

2014-#4 seed unc beats #1 seed usc,then losses to #2 seed stanford
2016-#7 seed Tennessee beats #2 seed OSU,then losses to #4 seed Syracuse.
2017-#5 seed Tennessee losses to #4 seed Louisville on Louisville's home court.

There's no shame in losing to higher seeded teams.Diamond still hasn't declared for the draft.Maybe we'll see one more tournament run.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder with her injury how far Coates' will fall? #6 to Washington? #7 to Atlanta?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder with her injury how far Coates' will fall? #6 to Washington? #7 to Atlanta?

I can see Coates sliding to #6 or #7. By the way, who does Coates remind you of coming out of college (Pre-WNBA Career Tammy Sutton-Brown or someone else) ?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I can see Coates sliding to #6 or #7. By the way, who does Coates remind you of coming out of college (Pre-WNBA Career Tammy Sutton-Brown or someone else) ?

TSB had great footwork and better at sealing defenders around the low block . I like the comparison minus the footwork portion . Coates reminds me of a poor mans Cheryl Ford . Just my personal opinion though.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:

TSB had great footwork and better at sealing defenders around the low block . I like the comparison minus the footwork portion . Coates reminds me of a poor mans Cheryl Ford . Just my personal opinion though.

A poor mans Cheryl Ford, I wonder do WNBA GMs & Coaches do part of their draft evaluation on who a prospective draftee plays like. I guess a poor mans Cheryl Ford is worthy of a top 6 selection in this 2017 WNBA Draft. Laughing

What about DeShields, Plum, Mitchell, Brionna Jones and Coffey who do they remind you of coming out of college (Pre-WNBA Career) ?

zune69

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Passing on Coates would be a overreaction to a common injury.I can understand if major surgery was required,but falling 3 or 4 spots due to a ankle sprain ? ....I just don't see it.However,I can see a scenario where trader Bill snatches Coates up with the #5 pick.Riley played for Laimbeer right ?.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time I've seen Coates, I expected more. Because I don't see her as a sure thing other than a backup somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see her drop as a result of the injury.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Passing on Coates would be a overreaction to a common injury.I can understand if major surgery was required,but falling 3 or 4 spots due to a ankle sprain ? ....I just don't see it.However,I can see a scenario where trader Bill snatches Coates up with the #5 pick.Riley played for Laimbeer right ?.....

Where are you getting details on the injury? Gotta believe it's more than a sprain if they ruled her out that for the whole tournament that far ahead of time

zune69

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Where are you getting details on the injury? Gotta believe it's more than a sprain if they ruled her out that for the whole tournament that far ahead of time

]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2017/03/14/south-carolinas-coates-to-miss-ncaa-tournament-with-injury/99163110/

Quote:
Staley said Monday night that Coates would test out her ankle as the team prepared to start the NCAAs. Less than a day later, Staley broke the news in a press release.

"This is something we've dealing with over the past few weeks," Staley said. "I think it's just best that we shut it down, let her heal up so she can have a long, fruitful professional career."

If this was a serious injury I highly doubt Staley would go through the process of evaluating Coates' ankle for a possible ncaa tournament return.If USC makes the final four I wouldn't be surprised if we see Coates come off the bench.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/22/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless it's debilitating or she blew out her Achilles, it really shouldn't make a blind bit of difference. When you're drafting someone that high it's with a view to many years of play, not in the need to have someone 100% ready for the start of the upcoming season.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun with comparisons

ceiling vs basement

Plum Hammon and Schimmel
DD McCoughtry and Hayes
Mitchell Cappie/Loyd and Sims/R. Williams
Coates Brunson or Stokes and K. Thomas
B. Jones Langhorne and K. Vaughn
A. Jones Gray/Sims and R. Montgomery/E. Wheeler/Boyd
Coffey S. Young/Dupree and Coleman/Clark
SWK Beard/Toliver and Quigley
Epps T. Wright/Lennox/J. Thomas/Bentley and Alston/Simmons/Ajevon
Allen January and N. Johnson
Osahor Taller Adams/Braxton w/ range and The girl from Xavier who played with A. Harris but didn't have a 3 point shot like Osahor
Weiss N. Quinn
Jankoska Whalen and Novosel
A. Peterson Latta and C. Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 47 of 73

Jump to: