RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 09/19/16 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Antonio is no lock to get the #1 overall pick.They have less than a 50% chance.Something tells me Connecticut(LA's pick)will win the lottery draw.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
It's that she's a risk.

Every player selected #1-36 is a risk is some type of way though.

People might disagree, but if I have the #1 pick I would rather take a player with some risks with a better return on investment than a player with no risks and limited potential. Angel McCoughtry is a good example.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle has the 2nd most losses over the last two season(42) but is not eligible for the draft lottery.Unfortunately their hopes of landing a lottery pick vanished when they made the playoffs.This rule needs to change.If a team makes the playoffs but still has one of the 4 worst records over the two prior seasons,they should still qualify for the draft lottery.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Seattle has the 2nd most losses over the last two season(42) but is not eligible for the draft lottery.Unfortunately their hopes of landing a lottery pick vanished when they made the playoffs.This rule needs to change.If a team makes the playoffs but still has one of the 4 worst records over the two prior seasons,they should still qualify for the draft lottery.

Well you've clearly changed your dedication from the Wings to the Storm, and now you're crying about SEA being cheated out of the lottery? They've only had two #1 picks in a row (and nice ones at that). They've clearly improved the last couple of years. The lottery rules have been established. Let's not circumvent them just so you can get what you want for your favorite team.

Which one of SAN, CON, DAL, and WAS doesn't deserve to be in the lottery and should be replaced by an playoff-worthy SEA team.

Before you point out LAS owns CON's pick and doesn't deserve to be in the lottery, LAS made the trade so they deserve it. That's how business and sports works.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/25/16 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Another good reason to cut the playoffs to six, then.

(now with spelling variations)
zune69

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Well you've clearly changed your dedication from the Wings to the Storm, and now you're crying about SEA being cheated out of the lottery? They've only had two #1 picks in a row (and nice ones at that). They've clearly improved the last couple of years. The lottery rules have been established. Let's not circumvent them just so you can get what you want for your favorite team..

So now i've abandoned Dallas and adopted seattle as my favorite team ? I'm I not allowed to comment on any other wnba team besides the Wings ? And who's crying ? I was just giving my opinion on what I think is a flawed rule.Just because a rule has been instituted doesn't mean it's set in stone.The wnba recently changed the Draft Lottery rule and Playoff format.

Shades wrote:
Which one of SAN, CON, DAL, and WAS doesn't deserve to be in the lottery and should be replaced by an playoff-worthy SEA team..

No team would get replaced.There would just be five lottery teams instead of four.

Shades wrote:
Before you point out LAS owns CON's pick and doesn't deserve to be in the lottery, LAS made the trade so they deserve it. That's how business and sports works.

LA acquiring connecticuts lottery pick was a team to team business transaction and is irrelevant.By the way,you do realize LA had to give up a young talent to get the Suns lottery pick right ? If Sienko was not smart enough to hold on to his 2017 draft pick when there were no guarantees of connecticut making the playoffs,that's on him.Sienko is no longer employed by the sun.He paid a big price.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did seattle improve ? yes.However,the storm got some help late in the season.

Win over chicago-No Delle donne,Pondexter and Vandersloot.
Win over New york-No Stokes and Wright
Win over Los Angeles-No Ogwumike and Toliver
Win over Washington-No Sanders,Latta and Hartley

[

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/26/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Lindsay Allen could creep into the first round, esp if ND does really well this year...

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Which one of SAN, CON, DAL, and WAS doesn't deserve to be in the lottery and should be replaced by an playoff-worthy SEA team..

No team would get replaced.There would just be five lottery teams instead of four.

I have to admit, that's an intriguing idea. I just think it's a hard sell for the owners to approve. Most people don't feel sorry for teams that improve that quickly.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Draft Lottery Presented by State Farm to Take Place Live on ESPN2

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/wnba-draft-lottery-presented-by-state-farm-to-take-place-live-on-espn2/n-5205336

Quote:
The 2017 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm will be televised live on ESPN2 on Wednesday, Sept. 28, the WNBA announced today. The Lottery, hosted by Doug Kezirian, will air during halftime of the network's telecast of a semifinal playoff game. The lottery winner will secure the top pick in the 2017 WNBA Draft presented by State Farm, to be conducted next April.

By missing the playoffs, the Connecticut Sun, Dallas Wings, San Antonio Stars and Washington Mystics qualified for the 16th annual lottery drawing. Connecticut's spot in the lottery, however, belongs to the Los Angeles Sparks, the result of a draft-day trade last April.

Lottery odds are based on the cumulative records of the Sun, Wings, Stars and Mystics over the two most recent regular seasons (2015 and 2016). The lottery will establish the first four picks of the draft. The lottery team with the worst two-year cumulative record is guaranteed at least the third pick.

In the drawing, 14 balls numbered 1-14 will be placed in a lottery machine and mixed. Four balls will be drawn to determine a four-digit combination. The team assigned that four-ball combination will receive the No. 1 pick. The four balls will then be placed back into the machine and the process will be repeated to determine the second pick. The two teams whose numerical combinations do not come up in the lottery will select in the inverse order of their two-year cumulative record.

San Antonio, which finished the past two regular seasons with a combined record of 15-53, will have the most chances to land the top pick (442 out of 1,000).

Connecticut and Dallas each posted a combined record of 29-39. The Wings hold the lottery tiebreaker by virtue of finishing with a worse record in 2016 (11-23) than the Sun (14-20). As a result, while Dallas and Los Angeles (via Connecticut) will both have 227 chances out of 1,000 to win the top pick, the Wings will be slotted ahead of the Sparks if neither team comes up in the draw.

Washington, which has a two-year record of 31-37, has the fourth-most chances of landing the No. 1 pick (104 out of 1,000).

The order of selection for the remainder of the first round as well as the second and third rounds is determined by inverse order of the teams' respective regular-season records solely from 2016.

A representative from the accounting firm of Ernst & Young will be in attendance to oversee the lottery process.

The following are the number of chances for teams to land the top pick in the 2017 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm:

LOTTERY TEAMS FOR 2017 WNBA DRAFT

Team Combined Chances

2015-2016 Record (out of 1,000)

1. San Antonio 15-53 442

2. Dallas 29-39 227

3. Los Angeles (via Connecticut) 29-39 227

4. Washington 31-37 104

tfan

PostPosted: 09/26/16 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
11. Dallas (from LA for R. Williams)

What happened to Riquna Williams this year? Was she injured? I don't see her on the WNBA transactions page after she was traded.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/26/16 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

What happened to Riquna Williams this year? Was she injured? I don't see her on the WNBA transactions page after she was traded.

yes, injured. LA own her rights and presumably she will be on their team next year.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

http://www.wnba.com/news/riquna-williams-out-for-season-after-rupturing-achilles-tendon/

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/26/16 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the sparks do win this lottery WHO THE HELL DO THEY CHOOSE?? My Biased Opinion Says Where Theres Peaches Theres #Plums Kelsey Plummmms...But it could be a major risk *See Banham In Conn* But i just cant think of any WNBA ready seniors off the top of my head beside A. coates , But LA does not need another post player....

PostPosted: 09/26/16 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If the sparks do win this lottery WHO THE HELL DO THEY CHOOSE?? My Biased Opinion Says Where Theres Peaches Theres #Plums Kelsey Plummmms...But it could be a major risk *See Banham In Conn* But i just cant think of any WNBA ready seniors off the top of my head beside A. coates , But LA does not need another post player....

Diamond would be good there, then they could have three talented pouters on the floor at once, but maybe Alana and Nneka could knock some sense into them. Wink

Plus I would love to see Plum go to Seattle....just because. She is a Cali girl I think so she'd probably be very happy to go to LA as well. Very talented, but yeah, quite a bit like Banham. But then I'm not giving up on Banham either. She was playing injured and making the big jump up to the W, even if you're a superstar, you need to be healthy.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Plum tears things up her senior year, I'm pretty sure she'll be available at #6. Is that who SEA fans want? I envisioned them wanting a post, but maybe they'll go with BPA (best player available). Players like AJones or Allen could be available.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/26/16 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Unless Plum tears things up her senior year, I'm pretty sure she'll be available at #6. Is that who SEA fans want? I envisioned them wanting a post, but maybe they'll go with BPA (best player available). Players like AJones or Allen could be available.

What? Plum has always been tearing it up at Washington. They just came off a Final Four appearance?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:

What? Plum has always been tearing it up at Washington. They just came off a Final Four appearance?

Just like Oregon St.... another PAC school with highly successful WNBA prospects.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/26/16 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:

Just like Oregon St.... another PAC school with highly successful WNBA prospects.

What does Oregon State have to do with Plum's success? You said "unless Plum tears things up", when in fact, she's already doing that. Oregon State and their players don't really have much to do with a different programs. I guess you assume every Pac-12 player won't be successful?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She had a nice year, but she can't take a step back this year.

It was you that made it a selling point that Washington was a Final Four team.
Well, Oregon St was a Final Four team also.

TCM, are you claiming Plum is a lottery pick no matter what happens her senior year? Every player you like can't be a lottery pick. There's only 4 spots.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/27/16 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:

To be fair, the best pro prospect from OSU's Final Four team hasn't graduated yet.

I hear a lot of fellow Storm fans, even those who are not UW fans, say that they hope to see Plum on the Storm as our point guard of the future. I, personally, would of course love to see her with the Storm. I'm just not convinced that she is a point guard.

She's being talked about as a lottery pick, but she is not a lock to make a roster. Far from it. Plum is an incredible scorer at the college level, and she's as hard a worker and competitor as you will find, but her odds of making a WNBA roster at the 2 are so slim. She must know that her best shot at the WNBA is at the 1.

To increase her odds of making the WNBA, she doesn't need to "tear it up" this year--she needs to establish herself as a point guard. That is also where the team will need her to find success.

The Huskies have 4 strong senior leaders, Plum included, but we will need contributions from freshmen. The guards besides Plum are either recovering from injuries or are inexperienced, so she will be asked to do a lot. She will probably still score a ton, but she has to make sure to keep her teammates involved. If she tries to carry too much of the offensive load by herself, it doesn't matter how many points she scores--she can't do that through a good post-season run. A poor post-season showing will also drop her draft stock.

At 5'7", she has to be more than an incredible scorer at the college level. She has one last season to show that she can do more. She will be a much stronger WNBA prospect if she takes the next step as a point guard.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/27/16 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:

To be fair, the best pro prospect from OSU's Final Four team hasn't graduated yet.

I hear a lot of fellow Storm fans, even those who are not UW fans, say that they hope to see Plum on the Storm as our point guard of the future. I, personally, would of course love to see her with the Storm. I'm just not convinced that she is a point guard.

She's being talked about as a lottery pick, but she is not a lock to make a roster. Far from it. Plum is an incredible scorer at the college level, and she's as hard a worker and competitor as you will find, but her odds of making a WNBA roster at the 2 are so slim. She must know that her best shot at the WNBA is at the 1.

To increase her odds of making the WNBA, she doesn't need to "tear it up" this year--she needs to establish herself as a point guard. That is also where the team will need her to find success.

The Huskies have 4 strong senior leaders, Plum included, but we will need contributions from freshmen. The guards besides Plum are either recovering from injuries or are inexperienced, so she will be asked to do a lot. She will probably still score a ton, but she has to make sure to keep her teammates involved. If she tries to carry too much of the offensive load by herself, it doesn't matter how many points she scores--she can't do that through a good post-season run. A poor post-season showing will also drop her draft stock.

At 5'7", she has to be more than an incredible scorer at the college level. She has one last season to show that she can do more. She will be a much stronger WNBA prospect if she takes the next step as a point guard.

I agree with this. Weise is an interesting case. But I've seen a lot of people wonder if she can play PG at the next level. If she can't, what would her position be?

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/27/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've watched Kelsey Plum since she was in high school and she is a scorer, first and foremost.

Her greatest skill is putting the ball in the basket and casting her as a point guard simply takes away from her primary strength. That said, she does lack the prototypical size for a WNBA shooting guard, but paired with the proper point guard (someone like Danielle Robinson say) it might work.

But I just can't see Kelsey Plum being a pass-first, or even pass-often, point guard. She's a scorer.

PostPosted: 09/27/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:

You should be knocking Plum by calling her "the next Rachel Banham".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/27/16 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Actually, it's a good rule, in my view.

The draft order is supposed to help elevate the worst teams. The two year rule was supposed to help prevent purposely tanking, not to continue to give a boost to teams that no longer need it. It is perfectly sensible to say that if you get the top pick (like Stewart or in Seattle's case two in a row) and make the playoffs, then you are no longer one of the worst teams and don't deserve another chance at the top pick. No reason to apply a rule intended to prevent one distortion in a manner that creates another one. Let the worst teams get the top pick, and Seattle isn't one of the worst teams.

On a separate note, I wonder if the experience with Banham will drop Plum's draft spot. I see them as similar. Great shooters who are otherwise very limited. Or great college player without the skill set for the next level. I wonder if GMs see the same thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 5 of 73

Jump to: