RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Midseason Naismith College and HS semifinalists announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/11/16 1:34 pm    ::: Midseason Naismith College and HS semifinalists announced Reply Reply with quote

Provided the links also, the pictures don't seem to want to display.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cay_NzSWIAA2RuW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca4GJR-W4AMp5Vh.jpg

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 02/20/16 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if the committees' even bother to take midmajors(or players* committed to mm's) into consideration for anything anymore, and no, I don't count the Atlantic10 or football-less BigEast teams among the mids. It even seems that should a once top 100-150 HS player commit to a midmajor, their name falls out of talk for MCDonald's, etc..and is left out of talk by the known writers and commentators, in general, for anything.

This is not sour grapes talking, but an attentive gbb/wbb follower who believes that the now Major 5 Conferences allow a quick shorthand, a subconscious dismissal of even consideration of midmajor players* when the experts are picking what players to be considered for whichever top honors. Yes, that happened often prior to the conferences' realignment, but every once in a while a few midmajor players(or even committed mm hs players*) were considered and even occasionally included in some sincerely earned bb player award.

This tendency, (swinging to dead on certainty) seems to start with the rating systems, which start in middle grades, closely aligned to AAU teams, some high schools, and later often involves USA team invitees, as well. It reeks of $$ and the U.S. income disparity and has only become more cemented into the accepted system.

First hand I have witnessed this devaluation and dismissal of teams & players happen, writ small, when a Toledo area school league broke apart after an 80 yr old public/private history, due to "financial concerns", 4-6 yrs ago. The majority of the public schools are rapidly sinking into non-competitors, their athletic futures determined by which leagues they could financially afford to join.

Not exactly sure why I still bother to raise issues like these.The majority of people seem comfortable with the U.S. system. Perhaps it is the current tilting at wind mills political candidate which reignited my fading spark.

Dulcinea would understand.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 02/21/16 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed the lack of Mids as well.

PostPosted: 02/21/16 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over 30 players listed and no Myisha Hines-Allen? Anybody been paying attention to her ACC season? If

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/21/16 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
. It even seems that should a once top 100-150 HS player commit to a midmajor, their name falls out of talk for MCDonald's, etc..and is left out of talk by the known writers and commentators, in general, for anything.

I'm not sure I understand the complaint. There are 24 McD AA players. Why is it surprising that "top 100-150 players" don't get chosen? They weren't being considered regardless of where they were going to commit to college. Especially when you exclude the A10 and BE from your mid major category, how many top 50 players choose to play at your mid majors?

And I'm also not sure what has that to do with "income disparity". There are a LOT of girls from poorer areas playing on big time AAU travel teams and being recruited to play at big time high schools.

The high school girls on this semi final list were identified as the rising stars of their class long before they chose a college. Do you have a particular girl you think ha been unfairly ignored specifically because she committed to a mid major? Please tell us who is more deserving than those on this list.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/22/16 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StraightFrom40216 wrote:
Over 30 players listed and no Myisha Hines-Allen? Anybody been paying attention to her ACC season? If

I could forgive her omission...if and only if Mariya Moore were on the list. Louisville definitely deserves the recognition a hell of a lot more than Cal does, regardless of how good Anigwe's stats are she doesn't belong on this list.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/22/16 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Representation on the Naismith college list by conference:

7 B1G
6 SEC
5 PAC12
4 American
4 B12
3 ACC
3 Big East
1 America East
1 Atlantic 10

Colleges with multiple players

3 UConn
3 South Carolina
2 Notre Dame
2 Ohio State
2 Maryland
2 Baylor

So 25/34 were from the P5 conferences, leaving 9/33 from the remainder of the conferences. That is probably similar to the proportions of top players committing to the these conferences.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/22/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

So 25/34 were from the P5 conferences, leaving 9/33 from the remainder of the conferences. That is probably similar to the proportions of top players committing to the these conferences.

I'm pretty sure that vastly exceeds the proportions of top players committing to the these conferences. When have 9 of the top 34 players gone to non-P5 schools? In this year's senior class (2012), the number is 3 - all UConn. The next year, (2013) the number is zero. (using Hoopgurlz rankings).

AAOK423

PostPosted: 02/22/16 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it really is surprising that neither Myisha Hines-Allen or Mariya Moore are on the list...big omission to anyone that's been watching Louisville at all this season. They should both be on it imo.

StraightFrom40216

PostPosted: 02/22/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Yeah, it really is surprising that neither Myisha Hines-Allen or Mariya Moore are on the list...big omission to anyone that's been watching Louisville at all this season. They should both be on it imo.

Hines-Allen has been in "Beast Mode" last 10 games or so - averaging close to 20 points and putting up double-doubles most nights. And she is becoming the emotional leader of this team. No offense to Moore, who has been great at the "point forward" position and is the primary 3-point shooter, but MHA is the best player on this team and right now it's not even close.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/23/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StraightFrom40216 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Hines-Allen has been in "Beast Mode" last 10 games or so - averaging close to 20 points and putting up double-doubles most nights. And she is becoming the emotional leader of this team. No offense to Moore, who has been great at the "point forward" position and is the primary 3-point shooter, but MHA is the best player on this team and right now it's not even close.

Hines-Allen has been amazing lately, and she's clearly an awesome player. I was actually shocked at the lack of ACC players that were represented, although it has been a down year for the conference. Of course they are tasked to find the best players and not to balance the candidates according to conference, but it seems strange that the B1G had more than twice the players that the ACC had.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 02/23/16 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StraightFrom40216 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Oh, I totally agree! Hines-Allen is not only the best player on the team, but she is probably the most improved player on the team (Carter is close though). Its also great how well Louisville's two best players work together. They are a impressive dynamic duo. I really don't understand why at least one of these players isn't on the list.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 02/23/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is pretty much over as far as the college award is concerned.

During the Monday night interview with Muffet McGraw after their win over Florida state,.........McGraw said Lindsay Allen is the best point guard in America, and later said "Brianna Turner is the best player in the country".

So it is settled..........Although it does beg the question as to why ND can't beat UCon in it's last many tries.

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/23/16 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
I think this is pretty much over as far as the college award is concerned.

During the Monday night interview with Muffet McGraw after their win over Florida state,.........McGraw said Lindsay Allen is the best point guard in America, and later said "Brianna Turner is the best player in the country".

So it is settled..........Although it does beg the question as to why ND can't beat UCon in it's last many tries.

Notre Dame is 0-1 against Connecticut when both players have played, and that game was the National Championship game in 2015. As a whole Notre Dame is currently on a 5 game losing streak, but I'm not sure what your question is as it's not like they are playing with those 2 players at full strength and on a big losing streak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: