23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
In Between
43%
 43%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 98

Shades

PostPosted: 01/31/16 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, I was rooting for ATL to make the playoffs since you're about 17% Lynx and I like Schimmel, but a lot of people were predicting a Championship for the Sparks based on their second half of the season.

What was the date of that 30 pt win? I still gotta say that LAS would have been the better playoff team last year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 01/31/16 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Maybe pilight can help on this - how often does the team that wins game 1 of a 3 game series go on to win the entire series? If its a pretty high percentage it seems unlike adding more games would change many outcomes, though of course, its possible.

Randy, did you notice in the graphic above that ATL would have made the playoffs last year under this system, and LAS would have been kicked to the curb. So much for making sure the best teams make it to the playoffs. Wink

Yeah, it's not like Atlanta swept the Sparks last season...

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that the teams are going to be seeded regardless of conference, but I don't like the reseeding after each round and I don't like single games elimination set up. I think the 1st and 2nd round should be a 2 game aggregate series, if they want to cut down on travel, that would eliminate a 3rd possible game in each round. I think this playoff set up, like the previous has pros and cons and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. The 1 game rounds may make things more interesting, but it does make things harder for lower seeded teams without playing on their home court. I think if the make it a one game set up they should do it like a weekend, similar to the NCAA tournament, perhaps play it on the highest seeded teams home court, do the 1st round on Friday and the 2nd round on Sunday, at least this way you can try to garner more attendance, as hopefully if a fan goes to watch their team play in the 1st round they will go early or stay for the other game, and maybe stay for the 2nd round, if their team loses. Instead of having 4 single games on 4 days (or 2 days) in 4 different locations, this seems like it will allow the league and teams to at least get more money, if they can centralize the resources a bit.

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Laughing So basically.....if you're top 4 seed,all you need to do is win one playoff series to make it to the wnba finals Laughing

Win 2 rds/6 games and you win the championship Laughing

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if you're a top 4 seed, all you need to do is win one playoff series" if you are not counting the 1 game 2nd around as a series, wouldn't that mean all teams just have to win 1 series to advance to the WNBA finals, or are you counting the 1st round as a series?

zune69

PostPosted: 02/01/16 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Laughing So basically.....if you're top 4 seed,all you need to do is win one playoff series to make it to the wnba finals Laughing

Win 2 rds/6 games and you win the championship Laughing

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if you're a top 4 seed, all you need to do is win one playoff series" if you are not counting the 1 game 2nd around as a series, wouldn't that mean all teams just have to win 1 series to advance to the WNBA finals, or are you counting the 1st round as a series?

what I meant to say is the two well rested top 2 seeds will only need to win one round to make it to the finals.That's much easier than having to win 2 rounds with no rest.This extended rest period will help older players like whalen,Augustus & Taurasi.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 02/01/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I can interpret the voting I would say majority of people are happy that the league made some changes but would like to see how the playoffs works itself out and maybe make more changes to improve the playoff model.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/01/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are two problems, it seems to me, that stand in the way of a more workable eight-team playoff (which ideally would be two best-of-three series and two best-of-five).

1) Length of season: Players make too much money in Europe so that squeezes the schedule at both ends, and also players need some rest.

2) Revenue: I'm not sure if teams make money in early-round playoff games. Attendance has been low in the past, and I'm not sure there's enough revenue to justify the extra games.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like what the league is trying to do, get the best teams in and give the 2 best teams a big advantage. If you finish 7 or 8 you don't get a home game which seems fair in a 12 team league and a single game looks necessary for round 1 (can't push the dates out too far). But what I don't like is round 2, I think that should be a best of three. I don't think it is fair that the #3 or #4 seeds can be one and done.

mb1

PostPosted: 04/18/16 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being poor at using the search function, and having a distracted memory, please share speculated playoff and finals dates (I KNOW we talked of this elsewhere...I even provided SOME information...last date for a final?).

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
toad455

PostPosted: 04/18/16 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, the regular season is ending Sept. 18. With the new format we could have:

First round games: Sept. 21/22
Second round games: Sept. 24/25
Semifinal round(best-of-5): Sept. 27 - Oct. 6
WNBA Finals: Oct. 9 - 19

This really depends on the TV schedule/ESPN availability & how condensed they'll make the play-off schedule.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Approves Significant Changes to Regular-Season and Playoff Formats

Quote:
Top Eight Teams Regardless of Conference to Qualify for Postseason

Balanced Regular-Season Schedule Features More Cross-Conference Play

ESPN Networks to Televise all Postseason Games in 2016

Quote:
Additional changes to the playoff structure are as follows:

The number of playoff rounds increases from three to four. The top two seeds receive a bye to the semifinals (third round), and the third and fourth seeds receive a bye to the second round.

Teams will be re-seeded after each postseason round.

The first and second rounds are single elimination. In the first round, the No. 5 seed hosts the No. 8 seed and the No. 6 seed hosts the No. 7 seed. In the second round, the No. 3 seed hosts the lowest-seeded first-round winner and the No. 4 seed hosts the other first-round winner.

The semifinals feature a best-of-five format, with the No. 1 overall seed playing the lowest remaining seed and the No. 2 overall seed meeting the remaining team. The Nos. 1 and 2 seeds will host Games 1, 2 and 5, and the lower-seeded teams will host Games 3 and 4 in their respective series. The WNBA Finals remain best-of-five and follow the same 2-2-1 format.

mb1

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
well, the regular season is ending Sept. 18. With the new format we could have:

First round games: Sept. 21/22
Second round games: Sept. 24/25
Semifinal round(best-of-5): Sept. 27 - Oct. 6
WNBA Finals: Oct. 9 - 19

This really depends on the TV schedule/ESPN availability & how condensed they'll make the play-off schedule.

Thanks...gives one an idea...

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
tfan

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:

Under the previous format, all eight teams needed seven victories. Now, four teams need six, two need seven and two need eight. Along with the re-seeding, it appears the owners are intent on making regular-season results more meaningful...

Isn't it four teams need 8, two need 7 and two need 6?

tfan

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

4) Eight out of 12 teams make playoffs? Why not just let everyone in?

I was thinking the same thing since it looks like a college tournament format early with byes and single elimination, and everyone participates in most college tournaments. But that would lead to a situation where teams have a lottery pick and are in the playoffs.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

Under the previous format, all eight teams needed seven victories. Now, four teams need six, two need seven and two need eight. Along with the re-seeding, it appears the owners are intent on making regular-season results more meaningful...

Isn't it four teams need 8, two need 7 and two need 6?

Yes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/16 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if conference record will still count for tiebreakers...

PostPosted: 05/12/16 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone besides me think that with so much pressure put on the regular season (only top 8 go to the postseason), 1st round single elimination pressure that injuries may reach alarming numbers?
LynxFan32

PostPosted: 05/13/16 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Does anyone besides me think that with so much pressure put on the regular season (only top 8 go to the postseason), 1st round single elimination pressure that injuries may reach alarming numbers?
nope...I don't see as many injuries because of.... I see much more competition though

PostPosted: 05/13/16 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LynxFan32 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
nope...I don't see as many injuries because of.... I see much more competition though

More competition, yes. Tougher competition, yes. More energetic competition, yes. More physical competition, yes. Which I think might increase the likelihood of more injuries.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/03/16 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So nobody in the NBA office is calling for a change to the NBA playoffs, which the West is historically dominant in (save for the Celtics in their era). Tonight's game with the Warriors and Cavs? Yawn. Pretty much all of the Cavs games in the East? Yawn. I didn't see no "Golden State bad for the game by winning too much", let's see if they start up if they go back to back. With the WNBA, let's say even though the Western Conference Finals were more competitive in past years, that didn't pick up millions of more random fans either way. So if you lose either way, I don't see the big difference. I see this as part of that movie Django where the guy throws someone away and puts a "tougher" opponent in the ring for his pure entertainment. One more point to make..didn't more East Conference teams win more titles in the past 12 years than the NBA did? And we're less competitive? Please!!!! (Note: just irked me when some NBA exec. was quoted about the WNBA, not NBA, playoff changes..could've at least had all WNBA people making the quotes!) Guess we're the Southland Conference tournament now.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 06/03/16 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
So nobody in the NBA office is calling for a change to the NBA playoffs, which the West is historically dominant in (save for the Celtics in their era). Tonight's game with the Warriors and Cavs? Yawn. Pretty much all of the Cavs games in the East? Yawn. I didn't see no "Golden State bad for the game by winning too much", let's see if they start up if they go back to back. With the WNBA, let's say even though the Western Conference Finals were more competitive in past years, that didn't pick up millions of more random fans either way. So if you lose either way, I don't see the big difference. I see this as part of that movie Django where the guy throws someone away and puts a "tougher" opponent in the ring for his pure entertainment. One more point to make..didn't more East Conference teams win more titles in the past 12 years than the NBA did? And we're less competitive? Please!!!! (Note: just irked me when some NBA exec. was quoted about the WNBA, not NBA, playoff changes..could've at least had all WNBA people making the quotes!) Guess we're the Southland Conference tournament now.

Actually they have considered/are considering it. Doubt it will happen but they have/are considering it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25052911/adam-silver-says-hes-considering-how-to-reformat-the-nba-playoffs
toad455

PostPosted: 06/05/16 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CURRENT PLAYOFF SEEDINGS

FIRST ROUND
#8 Seattle vs. #5 Indiana
#7 Dallas vs. #6 Chicago

SECOND ROUND
lowest seed vs. #3 Atlanta
highest seed vs. #4 New York

SEMIFINALS
lowest seed vs. #1 Minnesota
highest seed vs. #2 Los Angeles

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/05/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

I think testing it with a smaller league and a smaller pool of teams is a reasonably smart approach. Let's let 2016 play out and see what the NBA does.

PostPosted: 06/05/16 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see it as insulting, I see it as a good thing.
It's a totally sensible change to the system IMO and I've been wanting something like this for many years, so and I'm glad we're finally getting it.
Ditto with the team jersey sponsorship thing.
The NBA being held back by attachment to "traditions" is nothing to be envious of IMO.

PostPosted: 06/05/16 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the first two NBA Finals games have gone are exactly the kind of thing that could push the NBA to go to a similar conference-less playoff structure. Fantastic conference finals, damp squib of a league finals. That's why you try to make it so it's the best two in the last round.

The NBA may well be discussing something similar before the WNBA even play their first year out under the new system.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: