RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bill Cosby Charged in Sexual Assault Case
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 12/30/15 4:23 pm    ::: Bill Cosby Charged in Sexual Assault Case Reply Reply with quote

punkin! Mad

PostPosted: 12/30/15 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...perhaps you meant: puddin'? Wink

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 12/30/15 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andrea Constand: What we know about Bill Cosby's Canadian accuser
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bill-cosby-andrea-constand-1.3169510

Andrea Constand, 42, walks her dogs in Toronto on Dec. 30, 2015. The former basketball player and coach has accused comedian Bill Cosby of sexual assault. (Mark Blinch/Reuters)

Brave woman!

tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/15 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/12/30/bill-cosby-charged-2004-pa-sexual-assault/78069794/

Quote:
Constand accused Cosby in 2005, alleging he drugged and sexually assaulted her when she visited his then home in Montgomery County outside Philadelphia in 2004. But the then-county prosecutor declined to charge him, saying there was not enough evidence by the time she went to police.The case dates from 2004, and under Pennsylvania law, prosecutors have a 12-year deadline to bring charges in a sexual assault case. The statute of limitations is due to expire at the end of January.

So Constand sued him in civil court instead. That suit was settled a year later and the results were sealed, including a three-day deposition of Cosby. But this year, after dozens of women had come forward accusing Cosby of drugging and raping them in episodes dating back to the mid-1960s, a judge released part of the deposition, and more leaked later.

In the deposition, Cosby admitted under questioning that he obtained drugs, including Quaaludes, to give to women he sought for sex.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/01/16 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I ever need a lawyer, I WANT this woman -

Bill Cosby's Lawyer [Monique Pressley] OWNS Lamont Hill in debate

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fP6sBEmAgIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/01/16 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not saying I wouldn't want her as my lawyer but I disagree on her owning the interviewer or the subject matter or the narrative in this clip. I think her arguments are weak. Her suggestions about Hollywood, how it works when it comes to 'allegations' such as these (something that is essentially non-existent) and who Bill Cosby was back in the day (still just a black man in America) are a) uninformed myths and b) a galling attempt at playing the race card. If this is where they're going then we're in for a sad and sick display by the Cosby team. But would that be a surprise?

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/02/16 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Not saying I wouldn't want her as my lawyer but I disagree on her owning the interviewer or the subject matter or the narrative in this clip. I think her arguments are weak. Her suggestions about Hollywood, how it works when it comes to 'allegations' such as these (something that is essentially non-existent) and who Bill Cosby was back in the day (still just a black man in America) are a) uninformed myths and b) a galling attempt at playing the race card. If this is where they're going then we're in for a sad and sick display by the Cosby team. But would that be a surprise?

Hmmm, thought her points were very salient. Remember she doesn't have to "prove" Cosby was innocent. She just has to create a reasonable doubt in just one jurist.

It still amazes me that when black folk raise up REAL, historically factual issues of race and disparity in America, white males want to dismiss it as "playing the race card." We are playing the hand we've been dealt.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/02/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Hmmm, thought her points were very salient. Remember she doesn't have to "prove" Cosby was innocent. She just has to create a reasonable doubt in just one jurist.

It still amazes me that when black folk raise up REAL, historically factual issues of race and disparity in America, white males want to dismiss it as "playing the race card." We are playing the hand we've been dealt.

Playing anything is the problem here in Cosby's case. This is saying the card is available to "us" all and therefore we will play it. Regardless of the circumstances of the crime and regardless of how NOT a factor it ever was in this case. Cosby has admitted buying sedative type drugs to give to women for the purpose of having sex with them. At least one black woman has accused him of 'slipping' a drug into her drink. Color of this guy's skin wouldn't be available to him as a defense under any circumstances. Bringing it up in this case and in this interview was, IMO, outrageously off-based. Worse than the affluenza-defense. And the color of my skin is likewise totally irrelevant.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/02/16 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First let me be clear that I believe Cosby is a pervert and rapist. Playing devil's advocate.

To the best of my knowledge, Cosby has not admitted giving drugs to women against their will. Never had a quaalude so I have no reference on how it affects you. But I do seem to recall that it was a really popular recreational drug in the 70s/80s. So saying he gave them to women for sex he will say it was to enhance the euphoria of the experience.

Just as it seems incredible that so many women would make up similar stories, it's equally incredible that so many did not press charges at the time.

Yes, I fully believe that a black man - even one of Cosby's stature - would have been wisked away and put under the jail if a white woman had accused him of rape in the 70s.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/02/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
First let me be clear that I believe Cosby is a pervert and rapist. Playing devil's advocate.

To the best of my knowledge, Cosby has not admitted giving drugs to women against their will. Never had a qualude so I have no reference on how it affects you. But I do seem to recall that it was a really recreational drug in the 70s/80s. So saying he gave them to women for sex is like saying he gave them something to enhance the experience.

Just as it seems incredible that so many women would make up similar stories, it's equally incredible that so many did not press charges at the time.

Yes, I fully believe that a black man - even one of Cosby's stature - would have been wisked away and put under the jail if a white woman had accused him of rape in the 70s.

If they willingly took drugs (as in, he handed it to them and they knew what it would do) and then slept with Cosby, it would be a lot harder to prove that he raped them. (Although, it is still rape in that circumstance if Cosby was sober..it just becomes harder to prove to a jury.)

So if Cosby hasn't admitted it to slipping it in their drinks, just giving it to them..then that's the story he's going with. But it doesn't seem like that's the story the ladies are going with.

The drug is a sleep aid, muscle relaxer, and aphrodisiac.

And I don't think it's that amazing that these stories have been "hidden." Cosby rape allegations have been around for a long time. But to go even further, it's not hard to believe at all. It's estimated that only about 25% of rape cases are actually reported. Cosby being who Cosby was..not that shocking. (And yes, he is a black man, but he's been white peoples favorite black man for forever too..and a black woman's word against Cosby's..) I mean, think about Sandusky. That went on for about ten years and the guy was convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse. (which means there were plenty more victims.)..and it never got out...

PostPosted: 01/02/16 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
So saying he gave them to women for sex is like saying he gave them something to enhance the experience.

Ah. He was doing them a favor. That is such an example of an excuse that is not available to anyone under any circumstances that we can stop right there. You can buy a woman a drink. That's the end of the road as far as what is permissible thinking. Purchasing strong prescription drugs for the purpose of getting those drugs into women so that they will 'more willingly' have sex with you SHOULD put one foot of any man's in a jail cell and the other on a hoverboard. Actually having gotten drugs into women should find the door on the cell closing. Beverly Johnson's allegation, and she's not alone, that he slipped drugs into a drink of hers without her knowledge or permission AND that she ingested those drugs and was drugged by them SHOULD lock that cell door tightly shut.

sambista

PostPosted: 01/02/16 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if this doesn't play out well for cosby, i think his next move will be to claim he has some life-threatening illness to avoid seriously hard time and/or circumstances in prison.

PostPosted: 01/02/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
So saying he gave them to women for sex is like saying he gave them something to enhance the experience.

Ah. He was doing them a favor.

Well yeah. That will be the story - handing out drugs at the sex party. BTW, I don't think Beverly Johnson has said she was raped - just that she was drugged. Her manager says she's a liar according to this:

Beverly Johnsons Former Manager Says She Lied About Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Accusations

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/02/16 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:

Ah. He was doing them a favor.

Well yeah. That will be the story - handing out drugs at the sex party. BTW, I don't think Beverly Johnson has said she was raped - just that she was drugged. Her manager says she's a liar according to this:

Beverly Johnsons Former Manager Says She Lied About Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Accusations

Don Gibble? Oh well.

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-01-17/news/ls-25569_1_valerie-levitt

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/02/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be clear, even if they took the drugs intentionally, it's rape if they were intoxicated to the point of not being capable of consent.

I think it's fairly easy to figure out why there were so few complaints about Cosby until recently: (1) Cosby has been an important person in entertainment for a very long time, so the risk of complaining was significant; (2) he mostly chose women who were at the greatest risk if they complained because they were in entertainment; (3) his particular method - drugging women (at least sometimes giving them the drugs with their knowledge - is exactly the kind of thing that makes women think that it was somehow their fault; and (4) these kinds of cases are hard to prosecute.

Even so, some women did complain. For instance, the woman at the center of the Philadelphia case went to the police right after it happened and pursued the civil suit only after the prosecutor decided not to pursue it. If you look at a timeline, you'll see that other women said he had assaulted them as far back as 2005.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/02/16 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cosby is not charged with any form of rape in the Constand case. Nor, under Pennsylvania law, is he charged with statutory sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, or sexual assault. He's charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault under Section 3125(a) of the Pennsylvania penal code. This is a second degree felony, the penalty for which is up to 10 years in prison and/or up to $25,000 in fines.

This is a petting below the waist case. Specifically, Cosby is charged with digitally penetrating Constand's vagina (which he admits) in violation of subsections:

-- (1), which requires that the victim did not consent. Cosby said she did consent. This count will be a classic he said/she said standoff of evidence.

-- (4), which requires that the victim was "unconscious" or "unaware" of the penetration. Both Cosby and Constand testified she was aware of the initial penetration, so there will have to be proof that there was additional penetration while she was later unconscious. But who is going to testify to something that happened when she was unconscious? No one was in the house except Cosby and Constand. This count seems like a loser.

-- (5), which requires that Cosby "substantially impaired" Constand with drugs or intoxicants without her "knowledge". The testimony of Constand is that she voluntarily took three blue pills offered by Cosby -- but she didn't know what they were -- and that she voluntarily took a "couple of sips of wine." Cosby testified that the pills were one and a half Benadryl pills. Constand says that 20 or 30 minutes after the pills and wine, she became "frozen" and "paralyzed". This charge may be the prosecutor's best chance for a conviction, due to jury suspicion about what the drug really was and whether it "substantially impaired" Constand's ability to consent.

All of this evidence was before the Pennsylvania District Attorney in 2005. He did not prosecute because there was not sufficient evidence to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt.

Now, the charge has been refiled. To some observers, this could have the appearance of publicity seeking by the new DA -- to "cash in" on all the bad press recently surrounding Cosby. Is there any new evidence? The police say, yes: the deposition testimony of Cosby in Constand's civil case against him. But this testimony doesn't seem (to me) to incriminate Cosby with respect to Constand or any other woman. He simply testified that he intended to use Quaalude years ago when having consensual sex with women and did so on one specific occasion.

It's undisputed that Constand dated Cosby numerous time and accepted invitations to his house on several occasions. She testified that she rejected his sexual advances on two prior occasions. Cosby, in contrast, says they had a romantic relationship that included petting on prior occasions. It's undisputed that Constand voluntarily went to Cosby's house at 8:45 p.m. on the night in question -- after he told her by phone that "no one else would be present" and that she should "dress in comfortable clothing."

This would seem to be a very hard case to prove.

Cosby's lead attorney is a highly credentialed criminal lawyer, Brian J. McMonagle. Monique Pressley, who is a radio host and evangelical preacher as well as a lawyer, was probably hired to be "TV counsel".

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 06/14/17 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 01/03/16 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am 100% sure that Cosby's deposition was not in front of the DA in 2005 because it did not take place until after she filed her civil suit, which was only after the DA declined to prosecute. I suspect the deposition, which largely corroborates her story (not completely, but that's not to be expected) was a big factor here.

Also, I would not be surprised if the DA tries to get testimony from other women into the case. You can, in some cases, get evidence from other crimes in to demonstrate that the perpetrator has a specific m.o., although of course the value of that evidence has to be weighed against the possible prejudice to the defendant. If the DA does get such evidence in, it no longer is a he-said-she-said case.

And, of course, you don't need to be unconscious to lack the ability to consent. You can be aware of what's happening and unable to express yourself, for instance. (Not to mention that resisting is not required under any interpretation of the laws against sexual assault.)

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/03/16 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One other thing - I believe Constand is gay and has said she was dating another woman at the time of the incident with Cosby. I'd be curious as to the source of claims that she was dating Cosby (who, not that it appears to matter to him, was and is married).

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/03/16 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
One other thing - I believe Constand is gay and has said she was dating another woman at the time of the incident with Cosby. I'd be curious as to the source of claims that she was dating Cosby (who, not that it appears to matter to him, was and is married).

Andrea Constand is a lesbian. She was in a relationship with a women in 2004. She regarded Bill Cosby as a career mentor, not a romantic or sexual partner. A woman's being a a man's home does not mean she's dating him.

http://www.autostraddle.com/bill-cosby-charged-with-sexual-assault-thanks-to-out-lesbian-andrea-constand-322759/

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/03/16 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Andrea Constand is a lesbian. She was in a relationship with a women in 2004. She regarded Bill Cosby as a career mentor, not a romantic or sexual partner. A woman's being a a man's home does not mean she's dating him.

so, you think its out of the realm of possibility for a lesbian to exchange sexual favors for personal gain?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/03/16 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

so, you think its out of the realm of possibility for a lesbian to exchange sexual favors for personal gain?

No, but in my 70 years of being a lesbian I've never heard of it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/03/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I would say it is probably similar to the number of heterosexual men willing to trade sexual favors with other men for personal gain.

PostPosted: 01/03/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Experts. Rolling Eyes

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/16 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Experts. Rolling Eyes

I'm curious. What do you mean by that?

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/03/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

No, but in my 70 years of being a lesbian I've never heard of it.

Well, there ya go. could never happen Rolling Eyes

I can't dispute your personal experience. But its a big world with all sorts of people with all sorts of motivations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: