RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why the W could be the greatest league in the world

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/11/15 4:23 pm    ::: Why the W could be the greatest league in the world Reply Reply with quote

http://trueafrica.co/article/why-the-wnba-could-be-the-greatest-basketball-league-in-the-world/

Quote:
This is a very touchy topic for people within and around the WNBA. It is supposed to be the best league in the world for women but if Europe or Asia are playing more and the athletes are getting the love they deserve elsewhere, the status of the WNBA is thrown into question. Is it really respected? Should future basketball players be aspiring to play in the WNBA?

PostPosted: 11/11/15 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But WNBA still doesn’t make money – not only compared to the NBA but also compared to leagues in Europe, where women’s basketball is appreciated far more and the money is much better than in the US.

I don't know if I agree with this necessarily. I'd have to see some hard numbers to support this. I watch a lot of overseas ball and, except for some of the big big teams like Fener, UMMC, Bourges, etc., I don't see all this support. Most play in small venues and still don't fill up those stadiums (I guess I should call them gyms). As a whole, the WNBA crowds are much larger. It's true they get paid more, but a lot of that has to do with government funding and/or rich owners who do it out of country or city pride or even a hobby and don't mind losing money. And some can only lose money for so long before they can't even pay their players. Even some of the bigger clubs fold from lack of money (Ros Casares folded the year after winning the Spanish Championship)

PostPosted: 11/11/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, my response to that line was 'no, not really' as well. Also, the writer's one of the hosts of a podcast (and now youtube show) over here in the UK, that as far as I know has always completely ignored the WNBA. I just feel like with the sentiments expressed in the article that you'd think they could've covered the WNBA a little during the long NBA offseason.

Nice to see someone else in the UK who's at least aware that the WNBA exists, though.

PostPosted: 11/12/15 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what does it mean to be "the best league in women's basketball"?

For me, it's about the quality of play on a nightly basis, and that would be the WNBA. Granted, I not as familiar with the elite teams in Europe, but since they restrict rosters by nationality, it's pretty clear the goal isn't to get the best players in the world. The question would be, though, whether restricting rosters by using a maximum salary cap does more to limit talent than restricting rosters by limiting the number of American players.

PostPosted: 11/12/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"But it all boils down to the fact that the NBA has always seen the WNBA as a side business. It almost feels like they set up the league to shut women."
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/12/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"But it all boils down to the fact that the NBA has always seen the WNBA as a side business. It almost feels like they set up the league to shut women."

They set up the league to make sure the NBA's monopoly on American professional basketball in all possible aspects was maintained.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: