RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

jeopardy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/08/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the game was over, they played a montage of Alex over the years, sometimes in costume, with a song about "I Have No Regrets," and Alex waved to the audience and said "So long."

pilight

PostPosted: 01/08/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The song was Hugh Jackman singing Peter Allen's "Once Before I Go"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RjSKQhVdNHc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 01/08/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next week is going to be so. weird.

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/11/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ken Jennings is the guest host tonight.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/11/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ken Jennings is the guest host tonight.

Sure hope he's only the guest host and not the permanent host.

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/11/21 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching this without Alex just feels so wrong.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/11/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Couric is up next

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/katie-couric-set-guest-host-230100188.html

PostPosted: 01/11/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is SO WEIRD.

Stylistically, he's not terrible, but I think he can be more personable if he can come to grips with accepting the mantle, even temporarily. He was a bit stiff, but I have known the mind-numbing terror of being on that stage, and I wasn't even trying to run the show, so I cannot blame him one iota if every brain cell not actively running activities related to hosting was blasting "DON'T SCREW UP DON'T SCREW UP DON'T SCREW UP" at him, on *top* of the clear emotional toll the whole thing was taking on him (from the way his voice was cracking in the intro).

He's not as good with the foreign language clues as Trebek was, or at least he doesn't fake it as well as Trebek could.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/11/21 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Katie Couric is up next

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/katie-couric-set-guest-host-230100188.html

Bring back Ken Jennings!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/12/21 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It is SO WEIRD.

Stylistically, he's not terrible, but I think he can be more personable if he can come to grips with accepting the mantle, even temporarily. He was a bit stiff, but I have known the mind-numbing terror of being on that stage, and I wasn't even trying to run the show, so I cannot blame him one iota if every brain cell not actively running activities related to hosting was blasting "DON'T SCREW UP DON'T SCREW UP DON'T SCREW UP" at him, on *top* of the clear emotional toll the whole thing was taking on him (from the way his voice was cracking in the intro).

He's not as good with the foreign language clues as Trebek was, or at least he doesn't fake it as well as Trebek could.

It was weird.

As far as KJ goes, he wasn't as annoying as I had expected. I didn't like him as a contestant, but he wasn't too bad as host.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/12/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many shows did Jennings tape? I know their schedule usually has them taping 5 shows a day, but that could be different now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/21 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
How many shows did Jennings tape? I know their schedule usually has them taping 5 shows a day, but that could be different now.

I think it was just a week's worth

PostPosted: 01/12/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It is SO WEIRD.

Were you a contestant? I always wanted to be on Jeopardy, but it wouldn't be the same without Alex.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/12/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
It is SO WEIRD.

Were you a contestant? I always wanted to be on Jeopardy, but it wouldn't be the same without Alex.

I was! It was awesome! And yeah, I think it's going to be weird for a lot of people for a long time, because Jeopardy! with Trebek as host is such a specific cultural touchstone.

On the other hand, the entirety of the adventure, at least as I experienced it, was awesome, and Trebek was, for me, not among the most awesome parts. For me, the parts that made it real were all narrated by Johnny Gilbert. I don't know how much of that magic can be captured right now in the time of distancing and COVID, but as large a part of Jeopardy! as Trebek was, he was not the whole of it (nor was it the whole of him).

It's going to take a lot of getting used to. But the strangeness of it will wear off with time, once there's a new permanent host in place.

My thoughts keep turning to the returning champion I played against, who started his attempts to get on the show during the Art Fleming era: a reminder that this has all, in a way, happened before. And also another reminder that pancreatic cancer can sod off.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/12/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is great! I am so jealous! Being on Jeopardy was always on my bucket list but now that I've forgotten more than I still know, I've kind of lost that ambition.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/21 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers will be a guest host at some point

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-to-be-a-guest-host-on-jeopardy

PostPosted: 01/12/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-to-be-a-guest-host-on-jeopardy

He was on Celebrity Jeopardy and The $100,000 Pyramid. I think athletes can make it known they are looking for TV work. Michael Strahan shows that it isn't crazy to expect a pro athlete to host a TV show.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

He was on Celebrity Jeopardy and The $100,000 Pyramid. I think athletes can make it known they are looking for TV work. Michael Strahan shows that it isn't crazy to expect a pro athlete to host a TV show.

Rodgers is still playing at a high level. Hard to imagine him hosting Jeopardy full time while continuing to QB the Packers.

Plenty of pro athletes have become successful hosts. Fran Tarkenton, Ahmad Rashad, Terry Crews, Joe Garagiola, Summer Sanders, etc.

PostPosted: 01/13/21 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am rooting for Ken Jennings

(I know he has his awful tweets but to me they smack much more of wanna be comedian trying to be edgy than person with hate in his heart. I worked at a comedy club from 99 to 01 and many wanna be comedians would try to use inappropriate subject matter to seem cool, and twitter certainly has that tradition even for the non-comedian but I am trying to seem like a cool comedian set Jennings tweets are very that. Again they are awful, and not funny, I am sure he regrets it, but I don't think they demand canceling as much as contrition.)

He seemed very nervous today, but I think he can settle into the gig if it ultimately becomes his. He has the knowledge, and IMO has done a decent job respecting the format, the contestants and letting the best part of the show shine, the questions.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/13/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I am rooting for Ken Jennings

(I know he has his awful tweets but to me they smack much more of wanna be comedian trying to be edgy than person with hate in his heart. I worked at a comedy club from 99 to 01 and many wanna be comedians would try to use inappropriate subject matter to seem cool, and twitter certainly has that tradition even for the non-comedian but I am trying to seem like a cool comedian set Jennings tweets are very that. Again they are awful, and not funny, I am sure he regrets it, but I don't think they demand canceling as much as contrition.)

He seemed very nervous today, but I think he can settle into the gig if it ultimately becomes his. He has the knowledge, and IMO has done a decent job respecting the format, the contestants and letting the best part of the show shine, the questions.

IDK. He's not very personable, but maybe once he gets past the new-guy-anxiety stage, he'll be good. Alex is a tough act to follow for anyone. Did LeVar Burton make the guest list? He's a nerdy kind of guy with the presence to be good, I think.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Add Mayim Bialik and Bill Whitaker to the list

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/katie-couric-aaron-rodgers-bill-whitaker-mayim-bialik-jeopardy-guest-hosts-1234884949/

PostPosted: 01/22/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On today's episode, the third clue in DISASTROUS TEAMS?:

WNBA:
One day in 1990 in Phoenix this climbed to 122

Alas, no one got it.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/21 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury thermometers have mostly disappeared

PostPosted: 01/23/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It should be noted that every clue in the category spotted the contestants the city, or at least general region, of the team in question, in addition to the league or conference.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/23/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I still have one. And have used it within the past year! I used a digital oral thermometer and was a little stunned at the reading (94.4), so I double-checked it with my mercury thermometer. They were the same!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: