RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:08 pm    ::: Minnesota Lynx 2016 Reply Reply with quote

I felt compelled to start this thread so I had a place to post this picture. It's about the future.

This would appear to be Nika Baric, whose rights are owned by the Lynx, celebrating with Diana Taurasi on her Russian team. Anybody got a boxscore?

Baric was supposed to be with the Lynx this year, but I never got the straight story on why she didn't show up. Something to do with bad medicine?

So if Baric is playing with Taurasi on this Russian team, is that some indication of WNBA worthiness?

Let's look at a sample 2016 Lynx roster.
Whalen/Baric
Augustus/Cruz(probably miss some games)/Montgomery(on trade bubble, esp if they can draft Banham)
Moore/Liston
Brunson/Peters(with new contract)/Jones(only if on two year contract, otherwise, BYE!)
Fowles/McCarville(she can minutes handle bench minutes and would be a good contrast to Fowles)

Out..... Greene, Kelley. Welfare is over. Time to move on.
Looks like they might have to work out something with Jarry. Hopefully the Lynx can retain her rights w/o bringing her over.
Lynx have #14 as first pick this year. Will that pick be good enough to make the team?

Now if Taurasi loves playing with Baric, maybe the Lynx could work out a deal with their biggest nemesis. Who do the Merc have that would be worth it, Bass? Harrison?

Overseas
Home sweet home: Whalen
Australia: Jarry, Montgomery
China: Fowles, Moore
Italy: Brunson
Poland: Kelley, Peters
Russia: Baric, Cruz, Augustus
Spain: I can't yell you. It's a secret
Turkey: McCarville

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/30/15 3:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you really think McCarville would come back, and/or that the Lynx would pay her a max salary to be a backup to Fowles?

Dream have the Lynx pick and the 13 (right before the Lynx first chance, I think). What could we get for Banham?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Do you really think McCarville would come back, and/or that the Lynx would pay her a max salary to be a backup to Fowles?

Dream have the Lynx pick and the 13 (right before the Lynx first chance, I think). What could we get for Banham?

Will she require a max contract? Is there a team that would give her one?

Being close to home seems important to her. I wonder why McCarville doesn't consider CHI, which is about as close to home for her.

As far as stealing Banham from MIN, I'm glad you're not applying for ATL GM. Very Happy
I'd be willing to deal Montgomery.... depending on many games Cruz plans on playing.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess my real question is - why does she come back next year, when she didn't this year?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Being close to home seems important to her. I wonder why McCarville doesn't consider CHI, which is about as close to home for her.

As far as stealing Banham from MIN, I'm glad you're not applying for ATL GM. Very Happy
I'd be willing to deal Montgomery.... depending on many games Cruz plans on playing.

I'm 99.999% sure Montgomery is a free agent at the end of the year. I'd assume the Lynx won't have enough money to re-sign her AND Peters, unless Jones AND McCarville are both gone next year and replaced on the roster with the #14 pick, so if anybody wants Montgomery they can sign her themselves.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are the Lynx going to use the core? Montgomery was kind of expensive to just let walk away.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I guess my real question is - why does she come back next year, when she didn't this year?

She was considered trade bait to get Fowles in Minnesota. Now that the Lynx have Fowles, McCarville isn't at risk (maybe) of being traded. I would definitely prefer McCarville coming back over Jones.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:13 pm    ::: Re: Minnesota Lynx 2016 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I felt compelled to start this thread so I had a place to post this picture. It's about the future.

This would appear to be Nika Baric, whose rights are owned by the Lynx, celebrating with Diana Taurasi on her Russian team. Anybody got a boxscore?

Baric was supposed to be with the Lynx this year, but I never got the straight story on why she didn't show up. Something to do with bad medicine?

So if Baric is playing with Taurasi on this Russian team, is that some indication of WNBA worthiness?

Let's look at a sample 2016 Lynx roster.
Whalen/Baric
Augustus/Cruz(probably miss some games)/Montgomery(on trade bubble, esp if they can draft Banham)
Moore/Liston
Brunson/Peters(with new contract)/Jones(only if on two year contract, otherwise, BYE!)
Fowles/McCarville(she can minutes handle bench minutes and would be a good contrast to Fowles)

Out..... Greene, Kelley. Welfare is over. Time to move on.
Looks like they might have to work out something with Jarry. Hopefully the Lynx can retain her rights w/o bringing her over.
Lynx have #14 as first pick this year. Will that pick be good enough to make the team?

Now if Taurasi loves playing with Baric, maybe the Lynx could work out a deal with their biggest nemesis. Who do the Merc have that would be worth it, Bass? Harrison?

I would be suprised if she even gets minutes at all in important games. I take Dominquez over her any time

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

I'm 99.999% sure Montgomery is a free agent at the end of the year. I'd assume the Lynx won't have enough money to re-sign her AND Peters, unless Jones AND McCarville are both gone next year and replaced on the roster with the #14 pick, so if anybody wants Montgomery they can sign her themselves.

Looks like you are right about that. Per the Sun's press release in 2013 it was 3 year deal.

http://www.wnba.com/archive/wnba/sun/sun_sign_montgomery__new_con_2013_02_05.html

I just don't see her a valuable enough to core her, but I guess if no one else has an expiring contract it could happen. The fact that her contract was expiring might explain how the Lynx got the Seattle 2nd round pick in the trade.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who has seen Baric play, I'll just say she's decent. She's a pretty skilled point guard; more skilled than Silvia Dominguez IMO, and 5 years younger. Very good with the ball, especially for a European point. Could at least back up in the WNBA for sure. Not sure if she's as good as Montgomery at this point, but for sure cheaper.

PostPosted: 10/07/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a link which might help for keeping tabs on Baric.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_SleM,N9tG4w73uCl7XjsU2.season_2016.roundID_12025.teamID_92228.playerID_52548.html

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/13/15 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Target Center renovation update. Sounds like Lynx will have to find a different arena for 2017.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/target-center-celebrates-25-years-with-renovation-update-naming-rights-extension-101315

Quote:
The exact construction dates are still undetermined, but a rough timeline has been released. Phase 1 will begin next summer and address suite level, scoreboard and acoustic improvements; Phase 2 will start in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 and commence the exterior work, loading dock and marshaling yard; and Phase 3, in Summer 2017, will tackle the new lobby, locker rooms, dressing rooms, public restrooms, concourse improvements, more club spaces and food and beverage improvements.

"The project schedule allows us to bring on some of the major fan improvements, such as a new scoreboard, before the start of the 2016-17 Timberwolves season," said Timberwolves and Lynx CEO Rob Moor. "We are working hard to minimize the impact during construction on our fans, and we believe it is important that our fans benefit as soon as possible from the renovation."

The arena will remain open during the first two phases of construction and close during the summer of 2017 to finish the major work. It's not yet known where the Lynx will play during the closure.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/13/15 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll likely be closed from July - September. Maybe the Lynx can play at the Xcel Energy Center that summer? The arena typically only hosts concerts during the summer. Or possibly Williams arena on the University of Minn.?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/13/15 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It'll likely be closed from July - September. Maybe the Lynx can play at the Xcel Energy Center that summer? The arena typically only hosts concerts during the summer.

If I had to guess, I would think William's Arena would be a good possibility.

PostPosted: 10/13/15 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It'll likely be closed from July - September. Maybe the Lynx can play at the Xcel Energy Center that summer? The arena typically only hosts concerts during the summer.

Geez, I hope not. Have you ever been to a Lynx game at Williams?

gopher5

PostPosted: 10/13/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The Barn does not have air conditioning, so I hope it is Xcel. But I would prefer Williams over Mariucci (another option that has been rumored).

toad455

PostPosted: 10/13/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let's all remind ourselves that this is for the 2017 season, not 2016.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/14/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the Lynx have another in them?

PostPosted: 10/14/15 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

They need a deeper bench. Whalen & Augustus played through pain & injuries in the finals. I think it's clear Jones, Greene & Kelley are gone. Maybe Liston, too. Does Cruz return?? The starting 5 is solid, but they need to boost their bench a little.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/14/15 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

They need a deeper bench. Whalen & Augustus played through pain & injuries in the finals. I think it's clear Jones, Greene & Kelley are gone. Maybe Liston, too. Does Cruz return?? The starting 5 is solid, but they need to boost their bench a little.

They won a Championship under all kinds of duress. Surely there are needier teams.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/15 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

They won a Championship under all kinds of duress. Surely there are needier teams.

They played only 8 deep for the play-offs. Not exactly a nice cushion in case someone got injured or fouls out. It also help that Indiana didn't show up for game 5.

dinkytown

justintyme wrote:

I hope so. So they can get to 4 before Phoenix does. Laughing

If they stay healthy they have a good shot. Whalen in this condition next year there's not a chance unless they find a more aggressive backup than Cruz.

toad455

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

They played only 8 deep for the play-offs. Not exactly a nice cushion in case someone got injured or fouls out. It also helped that Indiana didn't show up for game 5.

jlight

PostPosted: 10/14/15 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

who ever gets home court wins the west. PHXvsMIN

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/14/15 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I hope so. So they can get to 4 before Phoenix does. Laughing

If they stay healthy they have a good shot. Whalen in this condition next year there's not a chance unless they find a more aggressive backup than Cruz.

I think Reeve can get her to become more aggressive.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: