Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 10/22/15 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
So the WNBA (or a significant part of it, an original, largest market franchise) a sports league created as a showcase for women, to move women's professional sports to a higher plain of visibility and stature, has become the very place where we find an almost uniquely ugly example, and a very public and openly arrogant one at that, of men who have humiliated women in the workplace and something that looks like rewarding the disrespecting of female employees, dismissive arrogance towards the women's sports league itself, and what is already a well publicized disgraceful bit of infamy in the ongoing story of men in power behaving badly towards women.

I think it's safe to say it wasn't supposed to be like this.

Right on the mark. Beautifully said. I'd just add this. Having Isiah Thomas back at MSG brings the danger that he will once again sexually harass women who work there. That includes anyone who works for the New York Liberty on or off the court.

It makes me very grateful that the MN Lynx & Timberwolves aren't like this... the league has a long way to go.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/15 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Essence Carson Year in Review

Quote:
Won the WNBA Community Assist Award presented by State Farm for the month of June. It was the second time in her career that Carson received the Community Assist award
Supported a wide range of community initiatives with Hospital for Special Surgery, Drug-Free Foundation and the Garden of Dreams Foundation
Appeared in all but one game this season, making 12 starts. Scored in double figures six times
Averaged 6.1 ppg and nailed 12 3-pointers in the regular season, tied for fourth in the team
Scored a season-high 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting in a win over San Antonio on July 15
Knocked down all three 3-poin attempts in a win over Indiana on June 9
Had 12 points and seven rebounds in a win at Los Angeles on July 22
Season-high seven assists in a victory at Chicago on June 30

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/essence-carson-year-in-review/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 10/28/15 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
So the WNBA (or a significant part of it, an original, largest market franchise) a sports league created as a showcase for women, to move women's professional sports to a higher plain of visibility and stature, has become the very place where we find an almost uniquely ugly example, and a very public and openly arrogant one at that, of men who have humiliated women in the workplace and something that looks like rewarding the disrespecting of female employees, dismissive arrogance towards the women's sports league itself, and what is already a well publicized disgraceful bit of infamy in the ongoing story of men in power behaving badly towards women.

Right on the mark. Beautifully said. I'd just add this. Having Isiah Thomas back at MSG brings the danger that he will once again sexually harass women who work there. That includes anyone who works for the New York Liberty on or off the court.

I am sure he isn't stupid enough to do that. Have there been any incidents since this one, I know I haven't heard of any. I don't know if he did what is being alleged or not because I wasn't there, I'd hope it's not true. He knows that now all eyes are on him so if he is accused of this again, and it turns out to be true he be in real trouble.

F.Y.I I am not defending I.T, I have never liked this man. However, he seems to be doing good things for the Liberty which they desperately needed. Even if it's bringing attention to them, I will not continue to talk about something that happened so many years ago, all I'm concerned about are my Liberty. A team I have been a fan of since 1997!

PostPosted: 10/29/15 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I am sure he isn't stupid enough to do that. Have there been any incidents since this one, I know I haven't heard of any. I don't know if he did what is being alleged or not because I wasn't there, I'd hope it's not true. He knows that now all eyes are on him so if he is accused of this again, and it turns out to be true he be in real trouble.

F.Y.I I am not defending I.T, I have never liked this man. However, he seems to be doing good things for the Liberty which they desperately needed. Even if it's bringing attention to them, I will not continue to talk about something that happened so many years ago, all I'm concerned about are my Liberty. A team I have been a fan of since 1997!

Of course you shouldn't continue to talk about Isiah's sexual harassment if you don't wish to do so. But I will and others will. Many men who rape or sexually harass women are multiple offenders. Not all, but a significant number. So is Isiah "stupid enough" to sexually harass another woman or women at Madison Square Garden? It's certainly possible.

PostPosted: 10/29/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would put nothing past a man with the astonishingly steep learning curve of Isiah Thomas, nor his enabler. (Though I would also love security footage of the first time he attempts to call, say, Essence a ho...)

I would very much like to focus on the team I've loved since 1997, but I'm discomfited by the idea of giving these unrepentant idiots my money.

PostPosted: 10/30/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I choose not to harp on this Thomas/Dolan/MSG fiasco. However, I do understand this is a WNBA forum, and some may feel the need to talk/rant continuously, about it. Everyone is entitled to voice his/her opinion, within the rules here. So if you're motivated to go in on Thomas, knock yourself out.

People can discuss this Browne case, all they want. They seem to be saying Thomas is Harassment, not that he has harassed someone. You can get rid of Thomas, and guess what, you won't really be doing a damn thing to end the harassment of women.

As a woman who has been harassed by men, in the workplace, and outside of it. I am sure, I am not alone, and several woman here, have also experienced such treatment. So, I am not a Thomas supporter, but the man has been tried, and a form of "justice" has been served. I have not seen or heard of any other charges or accusations brought against him.

Ideally, would he been given this job? Probably not, but Dolan as the owner of the team, has the right to hire who he wants. It is up to the league, to stand up him and tell him, nope we aren't going to stand for this...and deal with it accordingly.

We can talk about this Thomas thing until the 12th of forever, but Dolan is going to change his mind on this on the 12th of never. I trust that the women who are working at MSG are on high Thomas alert. Every time Zeke walks through those MSG doors, Missy Elliott's "Ching, Ching getting paid over here" can be heard throughout the building. Thomas has now become someone's payday, and he can try something, and someone will gladly press charges against him.

Unfortunately, somewhere women/girls are being harassed in and outside the workplace everyday. I'm more interested in the non high profile cases. The cases where the women feel they don't have a choice or a voice...the cases that never play out in the public's eye. The teenage girls who work in the fast food industry, and the like...who are helping to supplement their family's income, who is afraid to talk, complain..because she knows or believes she has no other avenue or option. The underpaid and over worked factory workers, who also feels she has no other option but to take the harassment rather than report it and be fired.

These women/girls are not Anucha Browne, they don't have her resources and her supporters. They weren't harassed by Thomas, and the media doesn't give a damn about them.

I applaud Browne for demanding justice be served in her case...But I think even she would tell people to stop being "Anucha Browne", and start being the voice of the faceless, nameless victims.

Bob Lamm wrote:
[quoo,te="Str8_Butta"]
Bob Lamm wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Of course you shouldn't continue to talk about Isiah's sexual harassment if you don't wish to do so. But I will and others will. Many men who rape or sexually harass women are multiple offenders. Not all, but a significant number. So is Isiah "stupid enough" to sexually harass another woman or women at Madison Square Garden? It's certainly possible.[/quote]

PostPosted: 10/30/15 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cappa23MVP wrote:
Personally, I choose not to harp on this Thomas/Dolan/MSG fiasco. However, I do understand this is a WNBA forum, and some may feel the need to talk/rant continuously, about it. Everyone is entitled to voice his/her opinion, within the rules here. So if you're motivated to go in on Thomas, knock yourself out.

People can discuss this Browne case, all they want. They seem to be saying Thomas is Harassment, not that he has harassed someone. You can get rid of Thomas, and guess what, you won't really be doing a damn thing to end the harassment of women.

As a woman who has been harassed by men, in the workplace, and outside of it. I am sure, I am not alone, and several woman here, have also experienced such treatment. So, I am not a Thomas supporter, but the man has been tried, and a form of "justice" has been served. I have not seen or heard of any other charges or accusations brought against him.

Ideally, would he been given this job? Probably not, but Dolan as the owner of the team, has the right to hire who he wants. It is up to the league, to stand up him and tell him, nope we aren't going to stand for this...and deal with it accordingly.

We can talk about this Thomas thing until the 12th of forever, but Dolan is going to change his mind on this on the 12th of never. I trust that the women who are working at MSG are on high Thomas alert. Every time Zeke walks through those MSG doors, Missy Elliott's "Ching, Ching getting paid over here" can be heard throughout the building. Thomas has now become someone's payday, and he can try something, and someone will gladly press charges against him.

Unfortunately, somewhere women/girls are being harassed in and outside the workplace everyday. I'm more interested in the non high profile cases. The cases where the women feel they don't have a choice or a voice...the cases that never play out in the public's eye. The teenage girls who work in the fast food industry, and the like...who are helping to supplement their family's income, who is afraid to talk, complain..because she knows or believes she has no other avenue or option. The underpaid and over worked factory workers, who also feels she has no other option but to take the harassment rather than report it and be fired.

These women/girls are not Anucha Browne, they don't have her resources and her supporters. They weren't harassed by Thomas, and the media doesn't give a damn about them.

I applaud Browne for demanding justice be served in her case...But I think even she would tell people to stop being "Anucha Browne", and start being the voice of the faceless, nameless victims.

Bob Lamm wrote:
[quoo,te="Str8_Butta"]
Bob Lamm wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Of course you shouldn't continue to talk about Isiah's sexual harassment if you don't wish to do so. But I will and others will. Many men who rape or sexually harass women are multiple offenders. Not all, but a significant number. So is Isiah "stupid enough" to sexually harass another woman or women at Madison Square Garden? It's certainly possible.
[/quote]\

I absolutely applaud your interest in the women and girls who are surely being sexually harassed right now and who are NOT in the public eye. As long as Isiah Thomas is working at MSG, as long as Jimmy Dolan and Isiah Thomas continue to lie publicly about Anucha Browne, I will speak out and protest against those two hideous men in every way possible. But you are right that we all need to do more to address sexual harassment in the kinds of cases you've mentioned above. I have supported such efforts and will do so any time I'm aware of them.

PostPosted: 10/30/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just sort of painful to me that Isiah may have had an influence in the very existence of the Liberty being maintained.

Totally understand why or how people will express their disgust with this situation.

Very thankful for the positives that the Liberty gave us to cheer about on the court. And for that matter the enormous good the Liberty players appear to have done in the community and the closeness they apparently formed with each other. I've generally been more about the basketball end of it than the off-the-court aspects through the years.

But as I said I get the other side of it.

PostPosted: 11/12/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty Forward Swin Cash Joins MSG Networks As Knicks Studio Analyst And Host Of “Nothing But Knicks”

http://www.wnba.com/news/liberty-forward-swin-cash-joins-msg-networks-as-knicks-studio-analyst-and-host-of-nothing-but-knicks/

Quote:
New York, NY (November 12, 2015) – MSG Networks announced today that New York Liberty forward Swin Cash has been added as a Knicks studio analyst for select games during the 2015-16 season. Cash will make her Knicks telecast debut on Friday, November 13 at 7:00 p.m. during “Visa Knicks Game Night.” In addition, Cash is the host of “Nothing But Knicks,” the half-hour original series featuring Head Coach Derek Fisher, assistant coaches and players as they take fans on a behind-the-scenes look at the Knicks with special access to practice and film sessions. “Nothing But Knicks” airs bi-weekly on Fridays before complete coverage of the Knicks games.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/12/15 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Liberty Forward Swin Cash Joins MSG Networks As Knicks Studio Analyst And Host Of “Nothing But Knicks”

http://www.wnba.com/news/liberty-forward-swin-cash-joins-msg-networks-as-knicks-studio-analyst-and-host-of-nothing-but-knicks/

Quote:
New York, NY (November 12, 2015) – MSG Networks announced today that New York Liberty forward Swin Cash has been added as a Knicks studio analyst for select games during the 2015-16 season. Cash will make her Knicks telecast debut on Friday, November 13 at 7:00 p.m. during “Visa Knicks Game Night.” In addition, Cash is the host of “Nothing But Knicks,” the half-hour original series featuring Head Coach Derek Fisher, assistant coaches and players as they take fans on a behind-the-scenes look at the Knicks with special access to practice and film sessions. “Nothing But Knicks” airs bi-weekly on Fridays before complete coverage of the Knicks games.

so one more year on the court and then replace Rosgo in the booth?

if not sooner but all signs do point to cash returning in 2016 from what ive seen on social media lib site etc

PostPosted: 11/13/15 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince suffered a knee injury.
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2015/11/epiphanny-prince-suffers-knee-injury/

PostPosted: 11/13/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2015/11/epiphanny-prince-suffers-knee-injury/

The article says "devastating knee injury" but does not say what kind of injury?

Hope everything turns out ok for her.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/13/15 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
caune wrote:

The article says "devastating knee injury" but does not say what kind of injury?

Hope everything turns out ok for her.

If it really is a "devastating knee injury" she probably hasn't gotten an MRI, or the results from an MRI yet to confirm what the injury is.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/13/15 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The very brief article linked here says that Prince suffered a "devastating" knee injury, then says in the very next sentence that this could be a "devastating" loss for her team. The writer obviously likes to throw around that word, which lessens my trust in what I'm reading.

Assuming that the facts in the article are correct--I have no reason to doubt them--Prince suffered a knee injury significant enough that she has returned to the U.S. to have her knee evaluated. That's certainly not good news. I believe we should wait for a reliable report on how that evaluation went before deciding whether Prince's injury is or isn't "devastating."

PostPosted: 11/13/15 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If her team already sent Prince home, it's likely very serious. That says to me that they don't think she'll be of any use for a long time.

Good luck to Piph for whatever happens next -- surgery if necessary and then rehab. New York will need to plan for the worst. At least they know well in advance of the season, so they can fully consider all options -- free agents, trades, and the draft.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/13/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If her team already sent Prince home, it's likely very serious. That says to me that they don't think she'll be of any use for a long time.

Good luck to Piph for whatever happens next -- surgery if necessary and then rehab. New York will need to plan for the worst. At least they know well in advance of the season, so they can fully consider all options -- free agents, trades, and the draft.

Yes, I certainly should have added that I am wishing Prince all the best, whether or not surgery is required.

PostPosted: 11/13/15 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft Kings and FanDuel are suing the NY attorney general.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/13/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, since you're not allowed to make any moves until the new year starts, New York will be able to make a full assessment of Prince's injury before they do anything. Right now, assuming the worst, the natural move is to shift Wright back to SG and let Boyd start at PG. Brittany was going to take over as the starter sooner or later, so this points the arrow toward sooner. NY can then bring in another PG as backup, which is something the Liberty needed to do anyway. Previously, with all the pseudo-combo guards (Wright, Wiggins, Prince), there wasn't necessarily room for another PG. In a small way, this can be a blessing in disguise.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/13/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are Wright and Wiggins both UFA's? Should have locked up Wiggy for two years. Now she might be in demand.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/13/15 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are Wright and Wiggins both UFA's? Should have locked up Wiggy for two years. Now she might be in demand.

I doubt there's a huge demand for Wiggins, although there may be some. In the end, she did only shoot .318 for the season. The .392 from 3-pt range looks pretty good, and Ice did play well in the post season so she left a good final impression. Wiggins tweeted right after the season ended that she'd like to come back. My guess is that management wants to upgrade the whole perimeter group (1-3), but I have no idea who would be the best candidate to go. If Prince can't play next season, that may open up a spot to bring someone in without dropping any of this year's players. Or not. They may decide to carry an injured Prince on the roster in order to pay her and keep her happy.

I have no idea what Wright's contract status is. There's a very good chance that she only signed a 1 year contract since there were rumors before last season that she was pondering retirement. Anyway, it seems like she was pretty happy with the Liberty. I would expect her to come back if she still wants to play.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/13/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you believe that the front office antics bother none of the players or prospective players, and it's only some fans that are put off? I'm not sure if I'm remembering the timeline correctly, but it seemed like they signed all these players before it was made known Thomas would be president and all this negativity and history started to resurface. I have to believe with Wiggins especially, the only way it doesn't bother her is to sweep it under the rug or not think about it.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 11/13/15 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
The very brief article linked here says that Prince suffered a "devastating" knee injury, then says in the very next sentence that this could be a "devastating" loss for her team. The writer obviously likes to throw around that word, which lessens my trust in what I'm reading.

Assuming that the facts in the article are correct--I have no reason to doubt them--Prince suffered a knee injury significant enough that she has returned to the U.S. to have her knee evaluated. That's certainly not good news. I believe we should wait for a reliable report on how that evaluation went before deciding whether Prince's injury is or isn't "devastating."

Just watched it. It looked bad. Non-comtact injury. Making like a jump stop. And was in a lot of pain. Usually typical of ACL type injuries. Gonna try and share the video just before it happens. I tried to embed it, but I guess I don't know how to do that right. This should take you to it though:
https://youtu.be/U6JP3mc_qZ8?t=1h29m36s

PostPosted: 11/13/15 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Just watched it. It looked bad. Non-comtact injury. Making like a jump stop. And was in a lot of pain. Usually typical of ACL type injuries. Gonna try and share the video just before it happens. I tried to embed it, but I guess I don't know how to do that right. This should take you to it though:
https://youtu.be/U6JP3mc_qZ8?t=1h29m36s

Thanks for sharing the link. It did look bad. I hope it's better than it looked, she has a good recovery, and can bounce back.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/13/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, looks bad -- a bit like Carson's injury where you're planting to jump.

Shades wrote:
Do you believe that the front office antics bother none of the players or prospective players, and it's only some fans that are put off? I'm not sure if I'm remembering the timeline correctly, but it seemed like they signed all these players before it was made known Thomas would be president and all this negativity and history started to resurface. I have to believe with Wiggins especially, the only way it doesn't bother her is to sweep it under the rug or not think about it.

I'm not even convinced that most fans are put off. In the one marketing event I went to, a large majority of fans lined-up to have their pictures taken with Isiah. It's not like Isiah encouraged it -- one fan asked, then another, and the next thing you know people are lining up. It was completely spontaneous. Rebkell posters and the media are not necessarily representative of the average fan.

I don't pretend to know what the players think. Boyd seemed happy to have Isiah as a PG tutor. As far as Ice goes, her last two tweets before leaving were positive about her experience here.

Quote:
Candice Wiggins ‏@candicewiggins Sep 29
New York City - you have changed my life! So blessed to have performed on the biggest stage -- MSG!… https://instagram.com/p/8PR3KaSlo2/

Candice Wiggins ‏@candicewiggins Sep 29
So hard to say goodbye to @TheGarden and to my amazing NYC Fans -- thanks for a wonderful season @nyliberty 💚

As long as we don't make Wiggins live through snow, I think she'd be happy to come back. There's a funny video on her account right now about her experiences playing overseas. She saw snow for the first time in Turkey. "I had to like learn how to scrape snow off a car. And like, you know... it was...I was miserable. I was miserable. I did not like snow and cold weather. It doesn't... I was just confused... Like I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that people actually live with snow. Like that's just crazy to me. It's crazy. I still don't get it."

Last edited by root_thing on 11/13/15 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/13/15 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Great question.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 7 of 67

Jump to: