Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 09/23/16 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I noticed earlier today that sections 104, 110, 114 & 120 lowered their tickets prices to $23 & $33. Those sections are nearly sold-out now. Overall, MSG looks like it'll be soldout(lower bowl/100s). They should open up the 200s(2,000 seats @ $20) to help fill the arena.

THIS no turning away fans...use whatever you can to get as many eyeballs in the arena its the best way to sell no matter who wins

I believe people were turned away last year during both Game 3s(vs. Washington & vs. Indiana). They refused to open up even a small section of the 200s. I know it's due to staffing reasons, but they should have learned from last year.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/23/16 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I noticed earlier today that sections 104, 110, 114 & 120 lowered their tickets prices to $23 & $33. Those sections are nearly sold-out now. Overall, MSG looks like it'll be soldout(lower bowl/100s). They should open up the 200s(2,000 seats @ $20) to help fill the arena.

THIS no turning away fans...use whatever you can to get as many eyeballs in the arena its the best way to sell no matter who wins

I believe people were turned away last year during both Game 3s(vs. Washington & vs. Indiana). They refused to open up even a small section of the 200s. I know it's due to staffing reasons, but they should have learned from last year.

Game 1 of the DC series remember Game 3 was low attendance due to an odd weekday start time

PostPosted: 09/23/16 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Game 1 of the DC series remember Game 3 was low attendance due to an odd weekday start time

yep, that's correct. knew it was 2 games where people were turned away.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/24/16 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moved my comment to a different discussion.

PostPosted: 09/24/16 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty Players’ Childhood Bond Outlasts the Story of Their Rivalry

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/24/sports/basketball/new-york-liberty-tina-charles-epiphanny-prince.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/24/16 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just back from our final game of the season. Very sad to see (on the big screen) Swin Cash walking off at the end in tears.

I'm going to repeat something I said a week or two ago, something a few people disagreed with. Tonight's game underscores a bitter truth for me: we will not win a championship in 2017 with our current roster. Although there were certainly mitigating factors (late injuries) both years, it's hard to ignore the fact that two Liberty teams that had strong regular seasons lost elimination playoff games at home.

I like our current players. I'm not going to disparage any of them. But I view the roster as one star and a bunch of very good or potentially very good players. I don't see another potential star on our roster. It's very hard to win a basketball championship with one star. And especially when that star is a post player who can't control the ball most of the time.

Perhaps Trader Bill and/or whoever is making roster moves won't be able to radically transform our roster for 2017. Perhaps the Liberty will have to stand pat. But I believe that we shouldn't stand pat unless there really aren't good options.

PostPosted: 09/24/16 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Danielle Robinson or Faulkner for our 2018 first round pick. We will not progress any further with Boyd as our PG. Zahui B & Stokes need to improve as well. It wasn't a good night when we're looking at Swords as an offensive threat.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/24/16 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, let's throw Brittany Boyd under the bus at the end of her second year, when it seems like half the league and especially the Liberty's first-round picks blossom in their third year, this is a brilliant plan that will surely not end badly. She's not Toni Young, FFS. And yes, let's leave ourselves out of the first round two years in a row by trading first-round picks for rotation players, especially when we're panicking about point guards, because that worked so well in 2001 and 2002.

Maybe Spoon should be spending some of that quality time with Boyd that she was spending with Sugar. Maybe Bec needs to figure out how defense, or defence, works. Maybe Amanda can stop trying to play hockey and do something on defense other than get grabby. Maybe we need to figure out whether we want a point guard or whatever in hell a lead guard is. Maybe Bill needs to go fishing already, and take Katie with him. Maybe we need to look at health and training.

We definitely need to retool for 2017. We know Swin's leaving; I wouldn't be surprised if Tanisha or Shavonte moved on either. We need to keep getting younger.

PostPosted: 09/24/16 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just back from our final game of the season. Very sad to see (on the big screen) Swin Cash walking off at the end in tears.

I'm going to repeat something I said a week or two ago, something a few people disagreed with. Tonight's game underscores a bitter truth for me: we will not win a championship in 2017 with our current roster. Although there were certainly mitigating factors (late injuries) both years, it's hard to ignore the fact that two Liberty teams that had strong regular seasons lost elimination playoff games at home.

I like our current players. I'm not going to disparage any of them. But I view the roster as one star and a bunch of very good or potentially very good players. I don't see another potential star on our roster. It's very hard to win a basketball championship with one star. And especially when that star is a post player who can't control the ball most of the time.

Perhaps Trader Bill and/or whoever is making roster moves won't be able to radically transform our roster for 2017. Perhaps the Liberty will have to stand pat. But I believe that we shouldn't stand pat unless there really aren't good options.

Not wrong but here's the caveat...Prince can be that player...between overseas commitments and injury she never got the opportunity...hedging your bet (which they did with the extension) on her is not bad...shifting her to 1 with Rodgers can give you a splash bros like lineup if it clicks...it may not but I'd give it a shot...what's not working is a mishagoths of defensive 2s and a defensive liability at 3...Cash gave all she could but had less than zero...honestly should have told Rosgo to stay in San Fran and moved her to the booth THIS year.

Caveat #2...know your not suggesting this but this thought lends itself to the Zeke type trade of betting the farm of young prospects for a superstar. I don't this farm and we have a good bubbling well of younger talent. Should be bet.

That said 3 is a gaping hole that was NEVER addressed and honestly Bill and Bernert (and by extension Zeke) clung to a has been for WAY too long and banked too much there when 3 was your biggest hole.

Now the good news, with some of the surge by players here I do think there are people you can trade for...not sure of the FA picture. Getting a Clark type player and there are a few lurking around (Tamera young would be another in that mold, TRP is likely unattainable but also is a mention) is all you need. Pair offense/defense with Allen. I do think this will be a big trade and FA offseason, weak drafts normally lend themselves to that. So it'll be interesting.

I agree there is a serious flaw with this team with second output (tho this game didn't show it, 5 in doubles) but I think filling 3 instead of stopgaps will open up Prince and Rodgers and that will create that lacking offense.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grinding out close wins may work for awhile during the regular season, but it catches up with you sooner or later. You can't always outwork other people and hope to overachieve. If you want a championship, at some point you actually have to be better than the other team. Your A game has to be better than their A game. I believe this coaching staff needs to re-evaluate their approach. Laimbeer is fond of saying that the team can't or shouldn't do something "because that's not who we are." For instance, in one interview he said something like, "We should probably play more ball denial against Delle Donne, but that's not who we are." Well, if that's the best way to win, then maybe that's who you should become or at least have the flexibility to play that way sometimes. The Liberty just look very predictable to me. Other teams can adjust to us because we do the same things all the time. I sense rigidity in the coaching staff, and I wonder if they're not stuck in the early 2000's.

Anyway, no team is out there waiting to hand over a superstar player to you. Unless there's a disgruntled star we don't know about, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for some big trade. The Liberty need to develop high-quality players of their own. Very few championship teams are built without home-grown stars... or at least someone you picked up cheap and developed yourself. Count Rodgers as one starter or future sixth man. Now we need to see some more.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Not wrong but here's the caveat...Prince can be that player...between overseas commitments and injury she never got the opportunity...hedging your bet (which they did with the extension) on her is not bad...shifting her to 1 with Rodgers can give you a splash bros like lineup if it clicks...it may not but I'd give it a shot...what's not working is a mishagoths of defensive 2s and a defensive liability at 3...Cash gave all she could but had less than zero...honestly should have told Rosgo to stay in San Fran and moved her to the booth THIS year.

Caveat #2...know your not suggesting this but this thought lends itself to the Zeke type trade of betting the farm of young prospects for a superstar. I don't this farm and we have a good bubbling well of younger talent. Should be bet.

That said 3 is a gaping hole that was NEVER addressed and honestly Bill and Bernert (and by extension Zeke) clung to a has been for WAY too long and banked too much there when 3 was your biggest hole.

Now the good news, with some of the surge by players here I do think there are people you can trade for...not sure of the FA picture. Getting a Clark type player and there are a few lurking around (Tamera young would be another in that mold, TRP is likely unattainable but also is a mention) is all you need. Pair offense/defense with Allen. I do think this will be a big trade and FA offseason, weak drafts normally lend themselves to that. So it'll be interesting.

I agree there is a serious flaw with this team with second output (tho this game didn't show it, 5 in doubles) but I think filling 3 instead of stopgaps will open up Prince and Rodgers and that will create that lacking offense.

I like Epiphanny Prince. I like Sugar Rodgers. I don't want to disparage either of them. But I don't see either one of them being or becoming the #2 star that this team needs. I dearly hope that I am proven wrong, but I fear that I am right.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think the team has done well with what it has. All those late season injuries really screwed with the momentum at exactly the wrong time.
The Fever proved that a title can be won with a single star player, but of course it's not the norm.
It's just not that easy to find perfect fits for areas of need. NY is far from alone in that department.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 6:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just keeping in mind that the team gave up 100 points last night also. We shot like 51% last night or something like that. I do think it's difficult to grind out wins though. But, we were also playing with Prince nowhere near 100% and with Stokes a non-factor. That hurt our ability to create shots, defend and rebound. As a team built on defense and rebounding, that's just not going to get you wins that often.

I don't think the Liberty need a second star as much as they need offensive balance. The Detroit NBA teams that Laimbeer played on had it, and the way the offense is structured to move the ball through post players, it would be a better team with more balance. The Detroit Shock won games with one main offensive player a lot of the time, but with exceptional balance.

In this offense you can pencil in Piph for 15 a game and mid 40's shooting when she's 100% again. What will be interesting moving forward is if Piph and Rodgers wind up playing together. If yes, there probably won't be a ton of restructuring. If no, there will be. This isn't a league where you are going to win a title with two double digit scorers, so they have to structure in such a way where they have 3 on the floor at least a majority of the time. And if they don't intend to use Piph as a point guard, it makes no sense to max Rodgers and waste her on the bench when she could be used to get back something they need.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Just keeping in mind that the team gave up 100 points last night also. We shot like 51% last night or something like that. I do think it's difficult to grind out wins though. But, we were also playing with Prince nowhere near 100% and with Stokes a non-factor. That hurt our ability to create shots, defend and rebound. As a team built on defense and rebounding, that's just not going to get you wins that often.

I don't think the Liberty need a second star as much as they need offensive balance. The Detroit NBA teams that Laimbeer played on had it, and the way the offense is structured to move the ball through post players, it would be a better team with more balance. The Detroit Shock won games with one main offensive player a lot of the time, but with exceptional balance.

In this offense you can pencil in Piph for 15 a game and mid 40's shooting when she's 100% again. What will be interesting moving forward is if Piph and Rodgers wind up playing together. If yes, there probably won't be a ton of restructuring. If no, there will be. This isn't a league where you are going to win a title with two double digit scorers, so they have to structure in such a way where they have 3 on the floor at least a majority of the time. And if they don't intend to use Piph as a point guard, it makes no sense to max Rodgers and waste her on the bench when she could be used to get back something they need.

Agree and this team NEEDS a small forward...those blown leads early...which would have put us much more in contention with LA for the double bye...could be atribuited to a defensive hole that was exploited all season with consistency, the wheel to the weak side for the open 3...time and time again every game even blowouts even players who are not high on the opponent's depth chart (Astou Ndour comes to mind) going off again and again...to me a lot of this was reliance on 2 guards (and nothing on Wright on Zellous...we Lib fans just need to wake up and realize that the VJ style 3rd guard covering the small forward just doesn't work in today's WNBA on a consistent basis over a 40 minute game, can do it in situiations but no more than 15 mins a game) to essentially turn themselves into defensive 3s...then a reliance on a let's face it a washed up Cash....Allen helped and for the starts she made she proved she can be a strong offensive component of this team. BUT Was a defensive liability enough that she DNPCDed in a game where we needed outside shooting and could have used her even if just for a few open shots...that spoke volumes.

There was a reason I was listing off 3s. I do think this year will be trade happy...I agree you cant just grab a superstar without giving up a heavy price...it's just not set up that way.

That said there will be a LOT of movement...poor draft, log jams on many teams with gaping holes on others.

Sorry to cut this off but something happened in a different sport that makes me not want to make critical or anylitical comments about athletes at this time...I do have a lot to say but I'll wait for the 2017 thread.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if you wind up chasing on defense it usually means you're either double teaming and recovering or helping and recovering. Both are indications that defensively you're missing something you might need. Without Kiah in particular we did a lot of chasing. That's a whole discussion unto itself. The problem was not just in losing Kiah but that she was so important in the first place because she covered up some flaws in the rest of the team.

Here's the thing...and it relates to what Happy Cappie is saying. He's right. It's hard to get away with guard-sized small forwards in the WNBA nowadays. Most of the league has pretty thickly built and/or really tall small forwards...even some of the SF's that aren't super tall tend to be strong and somewhat physical. Christmas, Coleman, Moore/Augustus, TRP, practically, etc. TRP I think is listed at 5'11" but she's strong. Zellous is strong for a guard, but you look at her compared to some of these players and there's a size differential. On the championship Laimbeer teams, you had Pierson and Cash who could both swing between the 3 and 4 spots, and that was 10 years ago when the league was still smaller than it is today. When you're in either height or size mismatches (in the case of last night vs. Phoenix it's height mismatches), that fundamentally changes how you're going to play. And in the system Laimbeer prefers, it's built in part about being able to control the opposition at both ends physically. Z can hold her own at the 3 spot, but there's a difference between holding your own and dictating mismatches.

I'll tell you, if you want to look at a player who might be attainable that could help NY, I would look at Karima Christmas. Dallas has Aerial Powers and 3 first round draft picks. She might be attainable. I don't know what you'd give up, but that would be something I would consider if it's available. She's one of the stronger 3's in the league at 6'0" and 180. She's a very good rebounder for a 3 with some scoring ability and decent shooting touch. Get her working on that here with the NY support system and maybe she would have another level to reach.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That open perimeter shooter is there by design. A shell defense protects the paint while risking outside shots. It's really very similar to Whisenant's White Line -- stop the high percentage inside shots, make them take the low percentage outside shots. Obviously, how open the shooter remains depends on how quickly you rotate. That in turn, depends on how much you hedge and how early you provide help inside. That's where adjustments can be made. However, if it isn't working, that begs the question of whether or not you should switch defenses for awhile. I think every team should have at least a second option just to change the look. A good example would be that first round Seattle-Atlanta game. Atlanta switched to a zone in the second half, and it threw off Seattle. Not that Seattle couldn't adjust tactically, but they had a hard time hitting shots after they made the changes. Just their rhythm was thrown off. So even if you don't fool people, forcing them to do something else can sometimes help.

The greatest concern to me is that the Liberty are a defensive team that often looks terrible on defense. Yes, they played this last stretch with a lot of injuries, but we saw the vulnerability even earlier this season in blowouts against LA and MN. We saw it several times last year -- games against Indiana and Washington come to mind -- and two years ago against San Antonio. The Liberty defense is like a Swiss clock with a lot of gears that move with precision. A smart opposing coach can gum-up those gears. If you fake the drive and draw help defenders, then you can pass back out and rotate the ball until you find the open shooter. Then, it's a matter of making your outside shots. I think what's changed over time is that there are now more proficient long-range shooters in the league and more willingness to take 3's. That's why I don't think you can simply go with these protect-the-paint defenses all the time. The game has evolved.

I'd like to dispel this idea that Allen is a bad individual defender before it becomes conventional wisdom around here. Allen's problem has more to do with fitting into the aforementioned clockwork team defense. She's had some problems with the decision-making when it comes to providing help and switching. Bec has also been a little over-aggressive on the perimeter while trying to imitate the Liberty's physical defensive style. Aside from the normal bumping, if you ever watch the Liberty defenders on the perimeter, there's a lot of poking and swiping against the ballhandler. The other thing about Allen is that she needs to get stronger to stand up to people like Alyssa Thomas and Karima Christmas. However, she has everything else: length, quickness, speed, athletic ability, and willingness.

As far as using Zellous and Wright at SF goes, I agree it's a problem. However, I think where it hurts you most is off the boards. We saw it at the beginning of the year when Cash was gone and Allen was still in Australia. We saw it again last night with Zellous getting most of the SF minutes. The Liberty get outrebounded in those situations, and where it really hurts is offensive rebounds by the opponent. Beyond that, you're also smaller defensively. In fact, the whole Liberty perimeter is drifting toward being smallish -- Prince, Rodgers, Schimmel, and Boyd are all listed at 5-9, and we know Boyd is probably more like 5-7. If you then use 5-10 Zellous at SF, it's a short perimeter. That's ironic given Laimbeer's reputation for liking big players.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've had time to process last night's game and our season as a whole. I was pleased with us getting the #3 seed. I was pleased with our regular season. The end of season injuries scared me, but knowing we were healthy going into last night gave me a little piece of mind. Yes, we were better than last year's team. We were deeper. We were supposed to go further this season. But that team called the Mercury decided to suck all season and then finally show up last night to show everyone what they're really made of. It hurts still. I can't ever bring myself to watch the highlights from last night's game. As an #8 seed, we should have played someone like Atlanta or Seattle as projected, had an easy game and went on to face Los Angeles in a grueling 5 game series. I was looking forward to going to MSG to a packed arena on the league's 20th anniversary seeing two originals battle it out. But it's not to be. And now us Liberty fans wait through another long offseason hoping to be better in 2017. We lose Cash. We might lose Wright and/or Zellous. We'll hope some FA decides to come to NY with hopes of winning a championship. And we fans hope to reach the finals for the first time in what will be 15 years. The wait now begins...

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/25/16 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite being at Madison Square Garden for bitter endings to the 2015 and 2016 seasons, I have many good feelings about both seasons. For me, it is never championship or nothing.

Even though we're not in the semifinals, I will still view the Liberty as the third best team in the league this season. We just got hit with a deadly mix: injuries at the worst time, a very unfortunate do-or-die setup for the second round, and drawing the most dangerous of the nine teams below us in the standings. New York fought hard, came from well behind twice, had a great offensive game, but lost to Diana Taurasi and other strong players. No shame there.

PostPosted: 09/27/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/27/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

All this gets you is 8 first place league MVP votes. Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67
Page 67 of 67

Jump to: