RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New York Liberty 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty still have another Olympian, and it's her birthday!





Olcay Cakir is a 6-0 point guard for Turkey who turns 23 today. She was a 3rd Round pick of the Liberty in 2013. Olcay means "luck" or "lucky" in Turkish. I was thinking we could call her Lucky as a nickname, but that sounds too much like someone's pet dog. Anyway, a young player for New York fans to watch next month. Happy birthday, Olcay!




Last edited by root_thing on 07/13/16 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is she ever coming over?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is she ever coming over?


According to WNBA.com, Cakir was suspended after training camp. We never heard anything about her signing a contract, but a suspension implies that she did. Who knows what happened? My best guess is that Cakir was intending to attend training camp, but then the national team obligations got in her way. So, maybe next year.

At least Cakir will now get a chance to play. She was buried on the bench for Fenerbahce, which is Turkey's top team and always in "win now" mode. They usually go with foreign players and veterans. On the other hand, the Turkish national team needed new blood so Olcay got a break. Last year, she hit a big game-tying three late in OT of the Turkey-Russia elimination game that knocked Russia out of the Olympics. It seems that she is finally getting some attention again.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if she comes over next year, we might have:

PG: Boyd/Cakir
SG: Rodgers/Prince/Wright
SF: Allen/Zellous
PF: Charles/Zahui B.
C: Swords/Stokes
12th: Shimmel or Bulgak



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
LFO



Joined: 18 Apr 2013
Posts: 84



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do not sleep on Barbee


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
Do not sleep on Barbee


I love Barbee. Solidly built, good athlete, does a little of everything on offense and plays solid defense. Not flashy, but a blue collar type who looks like a Liberty player.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49469



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbee seems more like a Thibault type of player.

How ya going to make room for her, assuming you like what you see.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Barbee seems more like a Thibault type of player.

How ya going to make room for her, assuming you like what you see.


You're always trying to get as many good players as you can. If you have too many, it's a nice problem to have.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49469



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Barbee seems more like a Thibault type of player.

How ya going to make room for her, assuming you like what you see.


You're always trying to get as many good players as you can. If you have too many, it's a nice problem to have.


You got too many now. That's why I asked.

You've got Cash moving on. Anybody else?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Str8_Butta



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 7646



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
Do not sleep on Barbee


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



_________________
WNBA fan since 1997
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23313



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbee ain't all that. Very Happy



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49469



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Barbee ain't all that. Very Happy


We weren't supposed to sleep on the "best undrafted invitee" Danielle Ballard either. Wink



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2427
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry to be confused here, but does New York hold the rights to Cakir and Barbee for 2017?



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Sorry to be confused here, but does New York hold the rights to Cakir and Barbee for 2017?


Cakir, yes. Barbee in theory can re-enter the draft, but it's unlikely.


Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2427
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Sorry to be confused here, but does New York hold the rights to Cakir and Barbee for 2017?


Cakir, yes. Barbee in theory can re-enter the draft, but it's unlikely.


Thanks for clarifying this.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4646
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shimmel & Bulgak to Seattle for Monica Wright?


NO


Seattle would do that deal and run. Laughing


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4726



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Sorry to be confused here, but does New York hold the rights to Cakir and Barbee for 2017?


Cakir, yes. Barbee in theory can re-enter the draft, but it's unlikely.


If I remember the rules correctly, Barbee can only re-enter the draft if she does not play professionally between now and next season. If Barbee does play overseas she becomes a reserved player for NY, meaning she could only negotiate with NY unless NY waives her, or trades her rights. My guess would be if healthy she will play somewhere in the next year and end up in the Liberty training camp.

It would also be fun to see Cakir in camp, though when I've mentioned her in the past the folks who follow the overseas game basically say don't get your hopes up, both in regard to her coming over, or being a WNBA level player, but she is young, so who knows?


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4726



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also the last couple of seasons NY has had a bigger roster turnover than any of us have predicted.

This season NY added four (actually 5) new players Zellous, Zahui B., Schimmel and Bulgak, (oh and Harding) and got an international to show up after only playing one game last season due to injury so while I would be pretty happy to see everyone back I wouldn't count on it.

The season before NY added 6 new players in Prince, Wright, Swords, Allen, Boyd, and Stokes.

2017
Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B./Bulgak
Stokes/Swords

I'd be very happy if this was next years squad, but I will also be very shocked if this is next years squad.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you keeping track: the Liberty did not wear the #BlackLivesMatter/#Dallas5 shirts today... but neither did they wear the standard-issue Liberty warm-up shirts. They wore plain black Adidas, no logo except that Adidas logo.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2427
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Also the last couple of seasons NY has had a bigger roster turnover than any of us have predicted.

This season NY added four (actually 5) new players Zellous, Zahui B., Schimmel and Bulgak, (oh and Harding) and got an international to show up after only playing one game last season due to injury so while I would be pretty happy to see everyone back I wouldn't count on it.

The season before NY added 6 new players in Prince, Wright, Swords, Allen, Boyd, and Stokes.

2017
Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B./Bulgak
Stokes/Swords

I'd be very happy if this was next years squad, but I will also be very shocked if this is next years squad.


The reminders you've shared here are why I am way past skeptical when I read detailed projections in July 2016 for the Liberty roster in May 2017. Six new players in 2015, five new players in 2016, but no new players in 2017? Not very likely.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2427
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
For those of you keeping track: the Liberty did not wear the #BlackLivesMatter/#Dallas5 shirts today... but neither did they wear the standard-issue Liberty warm-up shirts. They wore plain black Adidas, no logo except that Adidas logo.


Thanks for this report.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/16 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

If I remember the rules correctly, Barbee can only re-enter the draft if she does not play professionally between now and next season. If Barbee does play overseas she becomes a reserved player for NY, meaning she could only negotiate with NY unless NY waives her, or trades her rights. My guess would be if healthy she will play somewhere in the next year and end up in the Liberty training camp.

It would also be fun to see Cakir in camp, though when I've mentioned her in the past the folks who follow the overseas game basically say don't get your hopes up, both in regard to her coming over, or being a WNBA level player, but she is young, so who knows?


You're right about the rules, but who knows how quickly people heal and how they want to rehab. It wouldn't surprise me if Barbee did or didn't play overseas. However, even if she follows all the rules, I don't know if Barbee has much to gain from re-entering the draft. It's competitive to make any WNBA team, but at least you know there's a camp to attend if you stay with NY. It's a guaranteed foot in the door.

Both of these players are longshots. Nonetheless, there are longshots you like better than others. Cakir is very thin. The listings for her are 5-11 or 6-0, 132 to 136 lbs. Some people are wiry strong, but I don't see much muscle definition on her. So, that's a challenge right there before you get to skill level. On the positive side, Cakir plays in the Turkish League which is pretty tough. Because Fenerbahce is a top team, they're always in EuroLeague matching up against the best competition outside of the WNBA. Just in practice against her own teammates, Cakir has faced the likes of Charles, McCoughtry, Pondexter, Taurasi, Taylor, Lavender, Quigley, Zellous, and Coleman. She won't be surprised by the level of competition... which is not to say she won't struggle anyway.

Barbee looks to me like she's a good enough athlete for the W if she's healthy. Her skills appear decent, but she doesn't excel at anything. I give Barbee a better shot than Cakir because I think she has the makings of a good defender. With Laimbeer, that's the first requirement. Cakir's advantage is that she's mainly a point guard. Barbee is combo-ish, but better suited for SG.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49469



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/14/16 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also the last couple of seasons NY has had a bigger roster turnover than any of us have predicted.

This season NY added four (actually 5) new players Zellous, Zahui B., Schimmel and Bulgak, (oh and Harding) and got an international to show up after only playing one game last season due to injury so while I would be pretty happy to see everyone back I wouldn't count on it.

The season before NY added 6 new players in Prince, Wright, Swords, Allen, Boyd, and Stokes.

2017
Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B./Bulgak
Stokes/Swords

I'd be very happy if this was next years squad, but I will also be very shocked if this is next years squad.


The reminders you've shared here are why I am way past skeptical when I read detailed projections in July 2016 for the Liberty roster in May 2017. Six new players in 2015, five new players in 2016, but no new players in 2017? Not very likely.


At some point it'd be wise to to reach stability, which leads to continuity, which is more likely to be conducive to a championship. In other words, once you find a combination of players you're happy with, stick with them, as long as you can afford them. Not happy with this bunch? I'm not expecting a huge turnover.

But it is interesting that we got a hint about Barbee. To me, that could mean that the Libs aren't married to the current guard situation. Hint that Schimmel's gonna be shopped right now? Might Wright be retiring for real this time? So many questions. Who's got the answers?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57578
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/14/16 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
At some point it'd be wise to to reach stability, which leads to continuity, which is more likely to be conducive to a championship. In other words, once you find a combination of players you're happy with, stick with them, as long as you can afford them. Not happy with this bunch? I'm not expecting a huge turnover.


The 19-1 Sparks have six new players from last year
The 2015 champion Lynx had five new players from the year before
The 2014 champion Mercury had five new players from the year before

Roster turnover is common and expected, even for championship teams.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57578
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/14/16 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
For those of you keeping track: the Liberty did not wear the #BlackLivesMatter/#Dallas5 shirts today... but neither did they wear the standard-issue Liberty warm-up shirts. They wore plain black Adidas, no logo except that Adidas logo.


Apparently Adidas was unhappy with the shirts. Not because of the message but because their deal with the league specifies the placement of the Adidas logo on the warmups and the hashtag shirts didn't have it.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 57 of 67

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin