RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/29/15 8:08 pm    ::: New York Liberty 2016 Reply Reply with quote

well, what needs to happen?

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/29/15 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Optimistic Luuuc says that this coming WNBL season will see Bec back on the court and healthy, and looking for way to get back into international standard playing mode before Rio, so a return to NY becomes ideal timing and works out best for her, the Opals and the Libs.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess part of the question is about the 'old' girls. Will T. Wright and S. Cash be back? Does their 'leadership' mean enough to keep them?

I've always loved T. Wright and she adds a certain toughness, but she's clearly toward the end of her career. Swin is past the end of her career IMO but she still manages to sometimes contribute - the girl IS tough. Still she shouldn't be starting. So if Allen is back and able to be a starter at the three that would be optimal.

NY's second unit has been quite ok throughout the season. I assume Wheeler and Warley-Talbert won't be back but they do need a 4th post - maybe that's where the next rookie fits in.

- Amanda Gorman
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/29/15 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to wait a bit before posting in this thread Rolling Eyes

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/29/15 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The easy, obvious change is Warley-Talbert. Regardless of what you think of her, it's clear that she didn't have Laimbeer's trust. If a player never plays even when someone at her position is needed, then she has to be replaced.

As for that perimeter group of Cash, Carson, Rodgers, and Wiggins, they have all contributed at times but they are all too inconsistent. You can make an argument for each of them individually, but you can't bring back the entire group. Cash is the best defender against big SFs like Moore and McCoughtry. She was good at the beginning of the season and at the end, but she didn't do much in the middle of the season or the playoffs. Carson was the most consistent of the group for about 2/3 of the season, then tailed off badly. However, she bounced back a little in the playoffs. Rodgers is the most up and down player on the team. However, she has the highest ceiling of the group, is the youngest, and has proven she has a great work ethic. Wiggins only had a handful of good offensive games this season, but two of them were Game 3 elimination games. With all the talk about veteran leadership, Candice is the only vet who actually stepped-up at crunch time.

I don't have an answer. Maybe the best solution is to work backwards -- just get the best players you can and then rebalance the roster afterward. After all, getting quality players is the hard part. You're committed to Charles & Prince, and the rookies (Stokes, Boyd, Allen) are a no-brainer because they're cheap and useful. Otherwise, no one is so essential that they can't be replaced -- not even Wright and Swords. Assuming there will be a quality free agent or two (American or foreign), I would look for a legitimate starter at any position other than SG. Despite another playoff flop, I think we're committed to Prince. Tina can play either 4 or 5, so any quality post player is viable. I know we're trying to develop Stokes, Boyd and Allen, but I wouldn't simply count on them to get better. There's always the possibility that they will stagnate. Also, while everyone is looking forward to getting Boyd and Allen back, you have to expect that there will be other injuries next year. I wouldn't hold back. Just get good players if you can, and then cut or trade as needed to reduce the roster. If we somehow end up with "too much" talent at any position, then so be it.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swin. Out. Or like said in a previous post - not a starter. Yeah, keep her, but not a starter. Charles - keep. I love Essence, but she never got back to what she was before the ACL.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We need more people who can score. Our defense is great (had you told me that Indy would only score 66 in the elimination game I would have thought we had won had I not already known the truth) our offense needs to improve.

Healthy Boyd and return of Allen should help with scoring but we need a consistent third option and unless one of those two or Rodgers grows into that by next year we'll have to look else where.

Just like last off season i don't believe we have a lot to trade. Charles and Prince aren't going anywhere nor should they. Prince had a sub-par playoff series against Indy but was great most of the season when she arrived. The rookies are in the long term plan and give us financial flexibility, so i don't see us trading any of them.

Rodgers is probably our best realistic trade piece, but she is a good fit in NY, took a step forward this season, will probably take a step forward next season, and I don't think (as much as I like her and root for her) other teams would be willing to give up too much for her.

That leaves Wiggins, Carson, Wright, Swords and Cash, all of whom I like but at the same time believe won't get us too much on the trade market, the best I think any of them could do would be to be packaged along with the #12 pick to move up in the draft for a team that wants leadership or a very specific answer at a very specific position. (If Dallas wants a leader and an additional guard maybe they consider Wright or Carson and #12 for #6, maybe. Maybe Indy would like Swords size so Swords and #12 could get us #7, maybe, but then we lose our extra size 15 minutes a night.)

That leaves Free agents and the draft. If we can pull some more rabbits out of the hat and get someone better than Warley-Talbert at #12 that would be a plus, but even if that players lives up to the bar of late round pick Stokes and Boyd that will be a successful draft, but I don't think it puts New York too much closer to the finals. In truth I see big improvement coming in Chicago, Conn and Atl so just staying near the top will take internal growth and a good draft.

So we're back to free agency, any scorer at any position will help our no PG line up is flexible enough that if we did score a SG who could score we could still make it work. The 2012 draft class are the RFA I would absolutely offer max contracts to Tiff Hayes or plan B R. Williams (Williams might fit more of our need but has a slight injury history) but in truth either offer will be matched but it can't hurt to try. Stricklen is inconsistent but can score and might be the most attainable of the RFA. We might lose leadership and a little defense but Allen and Stricklen will likely get more scoring out of the SF position than Cash and Carson.

I have no idea who is an UFA next season, two player I would look at very seriously if they are would be Langhorne and Perkins. Both are on rebuilding teams, might like the idea of switching to a contender, they're both double digit scorers, and most likely wouldn't be cored by their current teams. Either one added to what NY already has would be a big help.

If anyone can think of anyone who might be an UFA who can score please add to the list.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/29/15 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty want to keep Cash, let her have Warley's place on the end of the bench. She provided next to nothing this season. Carson was only worth something one out of five games. I was hoping she'd return to her younger self pre-injury, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Boyd needs to be able to play 25-30 solid minutes. Wright should only be handling PG duties for 10 mpg like she did in Seattle. Keepers are clearly Charles, Prince, Stokes & Rodgers. Swords needs to work on her game, but I think she returns anyway. It's a deep draft, so likely Warley or Carson's replacement should come in with the 12th pick. Add in a FA as the other replacement.

PG: Wright*/Boyd
SG: Prince/Wiggins/Rodgers
SF: Allen/draft pick or FA
PF: Charles/draft pick or FA/Cash
C: Swords/Stokes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
blaase22

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see Allen play next summer. Embarassed

I think the Liberty should try to get Imani McGee Stafford in the draft.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think their best option at #12 will be a post considering there's so many quality posts in next year's draft(Hamblin, Jones, Bulgak, McGee-Stafford). Their FA signing should be a SF. A Karima Christmas-type of player would fit well with this team. I'd even settle for Monique Currie if Phoenix doesn't want her next season. Or maybe New York should go after Tiffany Hayes??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/30/15 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes is kind of thin for 3 spot. I want Wright and Cash back. Both preferably in lesser roles especially Swin. They need to add a 3 who can shoot and create. Maybe that's Allen or maybe that's a trade or maybe a FA or maybe it's a trade up for a draft choice since it worked for us in 2015.

Stokes also needs, like most young posts, to add upper body strength and work on her offense overseas. When defenses ignore you, that's when it gets hard for your team to score. On Indy all their starters and several of their bench players can score. I'm not seeking miracles but shoot that jumper in overseas play when you're open and work on a post move or two. Boyd needs to work on her jumper and continue adding polish in running an offense. It would help if she's an every game player rather than a spark in 2016.

Otherwise I think we are ok moving forward. The defense will be there. With more offensive balance the Libs will be tough to beat.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I like to bring this suggesting up every off-season, now it is more a tradition than a serious suggestion, and it should be met by the traditional "No Thanks" I get every season.

I wonder if Angel McCoughtey is a Free Agent? If so we should pursue her, even though even if she is she will be cored. (Laimbeer did suggest once that he was interested in bringing her in.)

All jokes aside Wright, Prince, Angel. Charles, Swords/Stokes with Boyd, Wiggins, Rodgers, Allen, Carson, Cash, and/or draft pick off the bench, would be kind of sick. Maybe she would be a little more willing to fit in if she was coming to a new team. I bet Wright, Laimbeer, T-Spoon, Cash and Katie Smith could keep Lori Ann in check. If not them, Who?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/30/15 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

realistically this is what i see happening

Wright/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Wiggins
Allen
Charles/1st round draft pick (Graves, McDaniels, unexpected falling post J. Jones maybe?)
Stokes/Swords

last two spots Carson, Cash, Free Agent, 2nd round draft pick.

I don't think Warley-Talbert survives to next season due to her lack of minutes all season, Wheeler might get a Natasha Lacy kind of chance in pre-season, but with Wiggins and Rodgers ahead of her and Boyd's development as a priority there is no room in the guard rotation unless Wright moves on, I don't see Cash getting cut but I could see her retiring, or getting Warley-Talberts spot on the bench. Carson is the big question mark. Maybe another year away from the ACL she comes back stronger, she is a decent 11th or 12th player but an expensive one. If the team wants to bring in new players she seems to be the odd woman out, only her tenure and leadership keep her in the mix unless she can prove she's got her speed and strength back from 2013. OTOH If Allen decides to pass due to the Olympics I could see both Cash and Carson coming back, and we would still need a free agent or draft pick (as I believe Allen would then fall into the reserve category and not count against the roster, and we would still retain her rights for the future.)

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/30/15 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice said on Twitter she was on a one-year deal and wants to be back. 😪

PostPosted: 09/30/15 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what needs to happen to maintain and go beyond the success the team had this year.

But I'm hoping it involves bringing back Carolyn Swords and the return of Rebecca Allen.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/30/15 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I guess part of the question is about the 'old' girls. Will T. Wright and S. Cash be back? Does their 'leadership' mean enough to keep them?

I've always loved T. Wright and she adds a certain toughness, but she's clearly toward the end of her career. Swin is past the end of her career IMO but she still manages to sometimes contribute - the girl IS tough. Still she shouldn't be starting. So if Allen is back and able to be a starter at the three that would be optimal.

NY's second unit has been quite ok throughout the season. I assume Wheeler and Warley-Talbert won't be back but they do need a 4th post - maybe that's where the next rookie fits in.

Let me say this. Tanisha Wright is a big reason why the Liberty got 1st spot in the East in the first place. She showed with her defense and leadership that she can still play atleast 1 year maybe 2

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 09/30/15 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eh about Tanisha Wright, I mean she is a great leader I'll give her that.. For that reason I think she should definitely stay, now whether she should start or not I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

I'd love for both to happen, but NY will have to settle for Allen's return. I think McGee-Stafford will be drafted in the middle of the first round -- barring any great improvement in her offense, which would propel her into the top 3. After the first few picks, some GM is going to sit there and say, "I don't love any of these players. Might as well take the athletic 6-7 kid with the highest ceiling. How wrong could I be doing that?" If Imani drops past #8, I will be shocked.

As far as McCoughtry goes, she is certainly the superstar who looks most available, given her run-ins with management. It's not only Laimbeer's MO to go after a star player, but also Isiah's. I just don't see how NY has enough to pull-off a deal like that. However, if Angel were to demand a trade, then anything can happen.

Looking at the 2012 Draft class, which should be the main source of RFA's, I noticed that Kizer is on that list. She's an interesting player -- a big who has a reliable mid-range jump-shot. Kizer also shot 88% from the line this year. If you're Indiana, you've had a lot of success with Larkin, and Achonwa is a good young player. How much money do the Fever want to tie-up in Kizer? Hard decision -- she is a player who might not get matched if someone offers her max or near max. The question is do we like/need her more than Indiana?

Ogwumike, Hayes, and Shenise Johnson will all be retained by their teams. No need to even go there. Stricklen was already mentioned, and I agree that she would be worth considering. The talent is there, but she has always been an underachiever going back to her Tennessee days. Speaking of Tennessee, here's the really interesting RFA: Glory Johnson. The talent is there. The accomplishments are there. The baggage is there. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/30/15 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having only accrued three years of actual service in the WNBA, Glory Johnson will be a reserved player rather than a restricted free agent. So she won't be able to negotiate or sign with anyone other than Tulsa/Dallas.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
realistically this is what i see happening

Wright/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Wiggins
Allen
Charles/1st round draft pick (Graves, McDaniels, unexpected falling post J. Jones maybe?)
Stokes/Swords

last two spots Carson, Cash, Free Agent, 2nd round draft pick.

I don't think Warley-Talbert survives to next season due to her lack of minutes all season, Wheeler might get a Natasha Lacy kind of chance in pre-season, but with Wiggins and Rodgers ahead of her and Boyd's development as a priority there is no room in the guard rotation unless Wright moves on, I don't see Cash getting cut but I could see her retiring, or getting Warley-Talberts spot on the bench. Carson is the big question mark. Maybe another year away from the ACL she comes back stronger, she is a decent 11th or 12th player but an expensive one. If the team wants to bring in new players she seems to be the odd woman out, only her tenure and leadership keep her in the mix unless she can prove she's got her speed and strength back from 2013. OTOH If Allen decides to pass due to the Olympics I could see both Cash and Carson coming back, and we would still need a free agent or draft pick (as I believe Allen would then fall into the reserve category and not count against the roster, and we would still retain her rights for the future.)

I liked the little I saw of Allen and believe that in the future she'll help the team a lot. But how much she'll help next year is a real question, both because of the Olympic issue and because it would be her first real year in the WNBA.

I believe that Stokes, Boyd, and Rodgers can all contribute more offense next season than they did this year. Still, my guess is that Laimbeer and Bernert will make a strong effort to trade for a third veteran scorer. Whether that's possible, who it might be, what New York would have to give up... I can't say. But our front office made some very successful trades last winter. I believe they'll be trying hard again, rather than relying simply on likely improvement from our younger players.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

I'd love for both to happen, but NY will have to settle for Allen's return. I think McGee-Stafford will be drafted in the middle of the first round -- barring any great improvement in her offense, which would propel her into the top 3. After the first few picks, some GM is going to sit there and say, "I don't love any of these players. Might as well take the athletic 6-7 kid with the highest ceiling. How wrong could I be doing that?" If Imani drops past #8, I will be shocked.

At the draft lottery, the first thing Cooper said he wanted from the draft was height. So if IMS has a tremendous senior season, maybe she'll get taken at #4. I'm a little dubious about her having that great of a season. People always get infatuated with tall college prospects and then they tend to disappear. McIntyre? Hamson? Amber Harris.... not tall enough?

root_thing wrote:
As far as McCoughtry goes, she is certainly the superstar who looks most available, given her run-ins with management. It's not only Laimbeer's MO to go after a star player, but also Isiah's. I just don't see how NY has enough to pull-off a deal like that. However, if Angel were to demand a trade, then anything can happen.

Who would the NYL be willing to give up for McCoughtry? Don't want to talk about that. Prince plus first rounders in 2016 & 2017? Where are the ATL fans to show outrage? McCoughtry isn't going anywhere, and from social media, I think she's happier in ATL than most people realize.

root_thing wrote:
Looking at the 2012 Draft class, which should be the main source of RFA's, I noticed that Kizer is on that list. She's an interesting player -- a big who has a reliable mid-range jump-shot. Kizer also shot 88% from the line this year. If you're Indiana, you've had a lot of success with Larkin, and Achonwa is a good young player. How much money do the Fever want to tie-up in Kizer? Hard decision -- she is a player who might not get matched if someone offers her max or near max. The question is do we like/need her more than Indiana?

Are the NYL willing to pay Kizer near max to be the 8th man or wherever it works out? With Catchings leaving soon enough and Larkins reaching 30 herself, it probably wouldn't be wise to let young developed post players go.

root_thing wrote:
RFA: Glory Johnson. The talent is there. The accomplishments are there. The baggage is there. Laughing

The willingness to give up something to get something isn't there.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think McGee-Stafford will be drafted in the middle first round. The only way she moves up is if she completely dominates this season. I feel like even then she may still be a bit risky to take in the lottery, just based off ceiling when you have Jefferson and Mitchell who are talented and "safer" picks. Additionally, at the lottery Dan kept saying he wants a face of the franchise, and kept referring to the Becky deal. Not sure IMS fits that bill, which makes me think MoJeff will be the pick for right now. The Sun *could* take her if they wanted, but I'm not so sure they would either. Atlanta would be her best chance for a lotto selection. I feel at her height she should be way more dominant than what she actually is. I could see her slipping a little, due to the depth of the class. But NY would likely have to trade up a few spots to secure her.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
I think McGee-Stafford will be drafted in the middle first round. The only way she moves up is if she completely dominates this season. I feel like even then she may still be a bit risky to take in the lottery, just based off ceiling when you have Jefferson and Mitchell who are talented and "safer" picks. Additionally, at the lottery Dan kept saying he wants a face of the franchise, and kept referring to the Becky deal. Not sure IMS fits that bill, which makes me think MoJeff will be the pick for right now. The Sun *could* take her if they wanted, but I'm not so sure they would either. Atlanta would be her best chance for a lotto selection. I feel at her height she should be way more dominant than what she actually is. I could see her slipping a little, due to the depth of the class. But NY would likely have to trade up a few spots to secure her.

Hughes has always LOVED DRob, so I'm not sure if his love for her has waned enough for him to attempt to make Jefferson "the face of the franchise". I think Stewart is probably the only face-worthy prospect in this class. Maybe "the Becky deal" means he wants to trade the pick, because he traded #1 to get Becky. He could try to trade up to get #1, but one of his best assests is retiring. Can't see this happening. If Hughes values Augustus (which I think he does), maybe something could be worked out there. That might prove interesting to both sides.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
scullyfu

PostPosted: 09/30/15 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with the comment Hughes made re: the last game of the season for the Storm & SAS, i doubt if he'd be looking to Seattle as a trading partner. but, its a long off season and angers go away. the problem Hughes has is that he has no one worth trading for a #1.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Hughes has always LOVED DRob, so I'm not sure if his love for her has waned enough for him to attempt to make Jefferson "the face of the franchise". I think Stewart is probably the only face-worthy prospect in this class. Maybe "the Becky deal" means he wants to trade the pick, because he traded #1 to get Becky. He could try to trade up to get #1, but one of his best assests is retiring. Can't see this happening. If Hughes values Augustus (which I think he does), maybe something could be worked out there. That might prove interesting to both sides.

Why would Augustus want to be traded and why would the Lynx agree to trade her?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 1 of 67

Jump to: