RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Shoni Schimmel 2015-16 Off-Season Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbdawg1959

PostPosted: 09/23/15 3:47 pm    ::: Shoni Schimmel 2015-16 Off-Season Thread Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure that a lot of fans and even not-so-fans are interested in what Shoni will be doing this off-season, so here we go.

Here's a link to the Dream's top 10 plays of 2015, with Shoni featured in #s 4, 3, and 2:

http://dream.wnba.com/video/top-10-plays-of-2015/

Please post intel here - Is she playing overseas? Working out with Skylar Diggins' personal trainer?

chadb

PostPosted: 09/23/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Schimmel pass at #3 is one of the best u will see. She makes a ton of mistakes but there are few in this league (if any) with her flair

bbdawg1959

PostPosted: 09/23/15 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
That Schimmel pass at #3 is one of the best u will see. She makes a ton of mistakes but there are few in this league (if any) with her flair

Exactly right!

whitedudeluvswnba

PostPosted: 09/24/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only thing I'm interested in seeing is if she comes back again next season a lard ass like she did this year.

There's soooo much hype surrounding her and she has yet to live up to 5% of it. She's a big "who cares" for me.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/15 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whitedudeluvswnba wrote:
Only thing I'm interested in seeing is if she comes back again next season a lard ass like she did this year.

There's soooo much hype surrounding her and she has yet to live up to 5% of it. She's a big "who cares" for me.

To me, she's exceeded expectations. Wasn't expecting much as a rookie, but she came in to start at PG and set a record for assists in the first 4 games of a season, plus she scored MVP of the All Star game. Was hoping for more her second year, but you know Cooper isn't exactly Stephie White.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/25/15 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't get all the hype and popularity

Randy

PostPosted: 09/25/15 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get all the people that automatically disliked her.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 09/25/15 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get all the people that can't understand that most of her popularity comes from a disadvantaged community who needed someone to inspire them and represent them and Shoni went out there, and spoke to that community and said numerous time she was proud to be part of that community and she was going to represent her community with her style of basketball ("rezball"). The Native American community gathered together from all across the country to support her...so much so it would have been impossible for the media to ignore. Then there's white people (or non native American people) such as myself, who just find her fun to watch. She's not everyone's cup of tea, I get that, but she brings much needed new fans with her and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

jlight

PostPosted: 09/25/15 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all i need from her this off season is for her to get in shape. she could be good player if she really worked on her game and body.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/25/15 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Schimmel is an exciting likable player. She does some flashy things and has a lot of moxie. I think because of her popularity people expect her to be a superstar talent, usually only superstar players are as popular as she is. So her popularity sets up an unfair expectation for some fans, and creates some backlash against her. If you view her in the context of being a number eight pick in the draft who just finished her 2nd season she is about where she should be career-wise.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/25/15 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
I don't get all the people that can't understand that most of her popularity comes from a disadvantaged community who needed someone to inspire them and represent them and Shoni went out there, and spoke to that community and said numerous time she was proud to be part of that community and she was going to represent her community with her style of basketball ("rezball"). The Native American community gathered together from all across the country to support her...so much so it would have been impossible for the media to ignore. Then there's white people (or non native American people) such as myself, who just find her fun to watch. She's not everyone's cup of tea, I get that, but she brings much needed new fans with her and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

She certainly has a block of support from that community, but your last reason is important.

I have no built in affinity for her or her former school or her current team. Indeed, I didn't much like her when she was at Louisville. But I just happen to find her entertaining. She plays an exciting brand of basketball that few people in the WNBA play. Yeah, she makes turnovers, but she also makes "wow" plays that not many other make. I think that's great. And that's why I like her. Is she necessarily the best player for leading a team to a title? Very possibly not. Would I want her on my team? Maybe not. But she sure is fun to watch play. I'd rather watch a game with her in it than many others.

In the end, it's entertainment, and she's entertaining.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 09/25/15 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

She certainly has a block of support from that community, but your last reason is important.

I have no built in affinity for her or her former school or her current team. Indeed, I didn't much like her when she was at Louisville. But I just happen to find her entertaining. She plays an exciting brand of basketball that few people in the WNBA play. Yeah, she makes turnovers, but she also makes "wow" plays that not many other make. I think that's great. And that's why I like her. Is she necessarily the best player for leading a team to a title? Very possibly not. Would I want her on my team? Maybe not. But she sure is fun to watch play. I'd rather watch a game with her in it than many others.

I agree, and I think those are the reasons why her popularity and hype should not be such a mystery to people. Shoni is not a lot of things and waiting around for her to become those things may end up being a failed effort, but what she does bring to this league is an excitement and a flair that is uniquely her own. And hopefully she can bring that next season.

bbdawg1959

PostPosted: 09/26/15 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

I agree, and I think those are the reasons why her popularity and hype should not be such a mystery to people. Shoni is not a lot of things and waiting around for her to become those things may end up being a failed effort, but what she does bring to this league is an excitement and a flair that is uniquely her own. And hopefully she can bring that next season.

Well said, AAOK and ArtBest. Shoni is always going to be a hero in Native American communities, no matter how well she plays, and the support she enjoys from those communities is always going to give her media attention, no matter how well she plays. You can't call that media attention undeserved, and you can't call Shoni a media hog or someone who is claiming to be a much better player than she is. She gets the media attention she does because of how she has chosen to embrace her Native American heritage, not because she goes around saying, "I am the greatest."

Like everyone else, I hope she stays in shape during the offseason so that she can play to her potential, whatever that potential may be.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/26/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well some of those ASG votes and popularity come from the native american community, I will never take that away from her

She of all players SHOULD play overseas to stay in shape and learn the game...she's the one who doesnt.

will say 99.99% of the players if they showed up as overweight in training camp as schimmel did would have been waived and not picked up...ever...as tough as cooper got on her for that (I mean that was shawn Kemp level weight gain) she also basically got a 4th chance when players as good as her don't even get a legit first

to me it almost reminds me of brian bosworth. she does have some talent but yeah, she's as much a part of Atlanta's woes as anything, if she pulls the same crap this year there is no reason for her to be on the roster.

she put it together late, but she should be playing for her job...and well instead has it almost handed to her...that's a bad combo

PostPosted: 09/26/15 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Well some of those ASG votes and popularity come from the native american community, I will never take that away from her

She of all players SHOULD play overseas to stay in shape and learn the game...she's the one who doesnt.

will say 99.99% of the players if they showed up as overweight in training camp as schimmel did would have been waived and not picked up...ever...as tough as cooper got on her for that (I mean that was shawn Kemp level weight gain) she also basically got a 4th chance when players as good as her don't even get a legit first

to me it almost reminds me of brian bosworth. she does have some talent but yeah, she's as much a part of Atlanta's woes as anything, if she pulls the same crap this year there is no reason for her to be on the roster.

she put it together late, but she should be playing for her job...and well instead has it almost handed to her...that's a bad combo

I don't completely disagree with you, especially on the weight issue and her need to play overseas but out of curiosity, what are the 4 chances you referring to other than her getting on a roster being overweight? So, what are the other 3, that I assume you don't believe she earned.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/26/15 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I don't completely disagree with you, especially on the weight issue and her need to play overseas but out of curiosity, what are the 4 chances you referring to other than her getting on a roster being overweight? So, what are the other 3, that I assume you don't believe she earned.

I expect she made the roster and played because she was better than alternatives nothwithstanding being in less than optimal shape - just like Adams, and Appel, and Paris and Mosqueda-Lewis. None of them were "waived and not picked up."

tfan

PostPosted: 09/27/15 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoni made the highlight reel for a defensive play! (even if it was against small Maggie Lucas)

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/27/15 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she doesnt want to play overseas then all she has to do is get a trainer and work out during the summer and just watch what your eating. It is not that hard if you are motivated enough

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/27/15 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I expect she made the roster and played because she was better than alternatives nothwithstanding being in less than optimal shape - just like Adams, and Appel, and Paris and Mosqueda-Lewis. None of them were "waived and not picked up."

3 you mention are posts, which is a bit more forgiving to girth...KML is a rookie who they're feeling out. Indeed KML is the closest example we have, it will be interesting to see how the 2 pan out

i was talking more about overall in game performance on the 4 chances and agree that may have been a bit harsh...Will agree she improved greately at the end of this year but i haven't been overall impressed by her except in exhibitions for her entire career.

We will see what she does this off season but i do think she was lucky to make a roster as out of shape she was. Honestly why I got up to 4 was as out of it she looked at the NBA ASG was enough to draw major concern.

As for playing overseas it's as much developing skills for a young player as it is conditioning...sometimes you just need to play at a high level

we will see how this goes...but im less optomistic than others

PostPosted: 09/27/15 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care whether Shoni plays overseas or not as long as she's working on her game and staying in shape. Elena Delle Donne just won MVP and she's never played overseas.

PostPosted: 09/27/15 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't care whether Shoni plays overseas or not as long as she's working on her game and staying in shape. Elena Delle Donne just won MVP and she's never played overseas.

i agree

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
caune

PostPosted: 09/27/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:

i agree

I kinda don't. Elena is not Shonni. Shonni needs to do more then to just be in better shape, she needs to work on her decision making as a PG if she wants to be know as more then just an exciting player. Experience playing is really the best way to do that.

PostPosted: 09/28/15 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:

i agree

I kinda don't. Elena is not Shonni. Shonni needs to do more then to just be in better shape, she needs to work on her decision making as a PG if she wants to be know as more then just an exciting player. Experience playing is really the best way to do that.

Skylar, Elena, Kara Lawson...there are good examples of people that hired trainers and worked on their games and bodies here. Shoni would be an asset to the league promoting the game during the winter, but she has to continue to build her game like those others did.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/28/15 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie never played overseas, but every winter she would work on her game in LA, and came back the next summer with an added wrinkle.

If Shoni does that, playing overseas isn't that important. But if she does exhibitions and doesn't try to get better -- regardless of her weight -- then she's wasting crucial parts of what could be a pretty special career.

PostPosted: 09/28/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
caune wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:

i agree

Skylar, Elena, Kara Lawson...there are good examples of people that hired trainers and worked on their games and bodies here. Shoni would be an asset to the league promoting the game during the winter, but she has to continue to build her game like those others did.

True. But it appears (based on college & WNBA) that Shoni needs to be playing to maintain conditioning. It would be great if she was able to do what Skylar & EDD & some others do/did. But even in college she didn't stay in shape over off-season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: