RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/08/16 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
http://mysticstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2016/03/08/meesseman-signs-contract-extension

Wow, that has to be the longest WNBA contract I have seen, I can't remember anyone else signed for that length of time. Also, they usually indicate a "multi-year" contract rather than explicitly stating the length. That said, I love Meesseman and am glad she will continue to play in the WNBA.

They want her to be their franchise player so signing her for 4 seasons is a good idea.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/16 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
And1 wrote:
http://mysticstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2016/03/08/meesseman-signs-contract-extension

Wow, that has to be the longest WNBA contract I have seen, I can't remember anyone else signed for that length of time. Also, they usually indicate a "multi-year" contract rather than explicitly stating the length. That said, I love Meesseman and am glad she will continue to play in the WNBA.

They want her to be their franchise player so signing her for 4 seasons is a good idea.

Plus it will leave their core designation available. Good job by the Mystics IMO and good for Meeseman as well. I think star players staying longterm with their franchises is a good thing for the W, like Bird in Seattle, DT in Phoenix, Catch in Indiana, Parker in LA, etc... I hope we continue to see it happen.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 03/08/16 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

having Meesseman & Dolson up front for years is definitely something for the Mystics to build their franchise around.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 03/09/16 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm expecting big things from Meesseman.

PostPosted: 03/10/16 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:

Meesserman needs to take charge on the court and shoot the ball. She has the talent to be one of the top players in the WNBA. I have enjoyed watching her play the last couple of years. It is now time to take her game to the highest level.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/16 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

Meesserman needs to take charge on the court and shoot the ball. She has the talent to be one of the top players in the WNBA. I have enjoyed watching her play the last couple of years. It is now time to take her game to the highest level.

She needs to believe that herself first though. Its not her mindset and that is pretty hard to change all of a sudden. Also it's important that her coach and teammates will treat her that way. It probably would be best if she would play with a passfirst PG instead of a PG like Latta..
In her first Euroleague with UMMC she scored 14 pts off the bench. Taurasi was feeding her the ball and she took Sancho Lyttle's playing time right away Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 03/10/16 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

She needs to believe that herself first though. Its not her mindset and that is pretty hard to change all of a sudden. Also it's important that her coach and teammates will treat her that way. It probably would be best if she would play with a passfirst PG instead of a PG like Latta..
In her first Euroleague with UMMC she scored 14 pts off the bench. Taurasi was feeding her the ball and she took Sancho Lyttle's playing time right away Laughing

Pass first PG, eh? Sounds like you want the Mystics to draft Niya Johnson.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 03/10/16 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

I agree with you Michelle89. I have a lot of respect for Mike Thibault. He needs to set the tone at the beginning of the season. He needs to have a team meeting and let them know the philosophy of there game plan. I am guessing he has not done so up to now because Meessaman is so young, he did not want to put that kind of pressure on her.

Ivory Latta needs to understand her role and that means cut back on shooting. If she has a problem and cannot participate than Coach Thibault needs to trade her.

Latta's role is even more important with the improvement of Stefanie Dolson. She has lost a lot of weight and she will be more of a force in the paint.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/16 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

I agree with you Michelle89. I have a lot of respect for Mike Thibault. He needs to set the tone at the beginning of the season. He needs to have a team meeting and let them know the philosophy of there game plan. I am guessing he has not done so up to now because Meessaman is so young, he did not want to put that kind of pressure on her.

Ivory Latta needs to understand her role and that means cut back on shooting. If she has a problem and cannot participate than Coach Thibault needs to trade her.

Latta's role is even more important with the improvement of Stefanie Dolson. She has lost a lot of weight and she will be more of a force in the paint.

Force = Mass x Acceleration, so unless her acceleration has improved significantly she will actually be less of a force in the paint Wink

PostPosted: 03/10/16 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

Not true! As a Mystics fan, I've heard Mike say numerous times that he has told her to be aggressive and he wants her to be the go-to player but that SHE is a total team player and she prefers to be that type of player. He's been trying since she got here to change her mindset!

PostPosted: 03/10/16 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

Force = Mass x Acceleration, so unless her acceleration has improved significantly she will actually be less of a force in the paint Wink

LOL, your correct Luuuc. I did not mean to indicate she will be body to body against other centers. I was thinking she will be quicker in the paint.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/16 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Not true! As a Mystics fan, I've heard Mike say numerous times that he has told her to be aggressive and he wants her to be the go-to player but that SHE is a total team player and she prefers to be that type of player. He's been trying since she got here to change her mindset!

Telling her is not enough. Prove it by running a lot more plays for her and i dont mean only those pick&roll plays. She hardly gets any iso's on the block and her postgame is pretty nice. Her footwork is one of the best in the game.
If they are serious about wanting her to be their franchise player then she needs to get those plays run for her and they have to play through her (inside out).

She took 320 shots in 34 games last season that's 9,4 shots per game. For example Latta took 352 shots. Lets compare that with another franchise player. Candace Parker took 237 shots and she only played 16 games..
When Tina Charles was the franchise player for the Sun with Mike T she took over 500 shots per season.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/10/16 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:

Telling her is not enough. Prove it by running a lot more plays for her and i dont mean only those pick&roll plays. She hardly gets any iso's on the block and her postgame is pretty nice. Her footwork is one of the best in the game.
If they are serious about wanting her to be their franchise player then she needs to get those plays run for her and they have to play through her (inside out).

She took 320 shots in 34 games last season that's 9,4 shots per game. For example Latta took 352 shots. Lets compare that with another franchise player. Candace Parker took 237 shots and she only played 16 games..
When Tina Charles was the franchise player for the Sun with Mike T she took over 500 shots per season.

She has to call for the ball, she is fine with just watching as plays are being ran for other people. I don't care how many shots it says that she took, what I mean by that is if she took a little bit of shots it's because SHE chose to pass the ball or was double teamed and had to pass it out. She passes up too many shots! It's not all Mikes fault, he does run plays for her and I'm saying this as someone who isn't the biggest fan of Mike. Feels weird defending him!

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 03/28/16 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/10/16 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being a go-to player in higher volume is a mindset. But a top scorer has to also be willing to miss shots, because a top scorer is going to see double teams and even triple teams at times, because a top scorer is going to have to receive and handle the ball in higher traffic areas. About 48% of her shots were from the 11-21 foot range, and she is remarkably efficient from those distances for a post player. This is partially due to the nature of the Mystics offense which features a lot of double high posts. It also gets her an awful lot of good looks at the basket. Charles gets a lot of flak for shooting away from the basket, but Charles attempted 57% of her shots inside of ten feet last year. Meesseman attempted 48% of hers inside of ten feet. And I would venture to say that Charles receives the ball with her back to the basket at a higher rate than Meesseman does relative to their shots in the paint, which means significantly more double teams. Don't get me wrong. EM is an excellent player. And she probably can score more than she does.

I just don't think that's the thing that the team really needs. Personally, I don't think Meesseman's shooting volume is the Mystics' primary problem. The area of improvement needed is that DC needs more scorers. If Ivory Latta is your leading scorer and your second-best offensive player, let's face the facts. 18-16 is what you are as a team. That said, Thibault has done a credible job adding talent to a barren team when he got there. Now let's see if Thibault the GM can help the team take the next step and make Thibault the coach look good.

The other thing is, Thibault regularly says things like he wants the Mystics to be a more up-tempo team. Yet their style of offense doesn't really play to that sort of thing. Just like I don't think a heavy double high post offense is going to enable EM to be a top scorer when putting the ball on the floor is the thing she's least good at. If you look at it though, as one of the league's top passing posts along with Dolson, that style of play still plays to one of her top skills. That also has to be taken into consideration. It's hard for me to take some of the things he says seriously. You could want her to be an 18 ppg scorer all you want. That doesn't mean that she has the mindset for it or the range of abilities needed to be a top scorer. I mean, I want Stokes to be a top scorer. It's been acknowledged she has untapped ability. That doesn't mean she'll be able to do it. She needs the mindset, the willingness to keep shooting even when she misses, and the ability to shoot from multiple angles. I know the analogy isn't great between Stokes and EM but I'm making a greater point. Being a scorer encompasses so many things. As a post player you need strength, you need balance, you need multiple moves with both hands, you need the ability to shoot from a variety of angles and you need the willingness to keep shooting even when missing or even when doubled. It's a hard to thing to do. Especially in the women's game where the game is played on the floor rather than in the air.

PostPosted: 03/10/16 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point about the mindset is very well-taken. The match between personality and skill set is discussed as often as it should be ...

Some players have the skills to be a point guard, say, but not the personality. Some players have the toughness and knack for rebounding to be a good power forward, but they're 5-9. And some kids have all the skills to be scorers but they don't want to be seen as ball hogs. It's more important to them to be liked than it is to maximize their scoring.

PostPosted: 03/28/16 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics uniforms are spiffy

PostPosted: 03/28/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Mystics uniforms are spiffy

Yeah i like the Mystics and the Sparks jerseys so far

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/29/16 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like the DC unis too.

PostPosted: 04/14/16 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

might as well try to get them all done

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Cloud/Galdeira or Grant
TRP/Copper
Messeman/Sanders/Maloot
Dolson/Vaughn

Any chance Hawkins or Milonvic returns this season?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/15/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kudos to Mike Thibault and his staff for putting together a very good off season transaction of players. I like the drafting of Kahleah Copper, Liable Galderia, Danaejah Grant and the February free agent signing of Zoo Dimitrakou.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/16 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics sign Chelsey Lee

PostPosted: 04/20/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latta out 4-6 weeks

https://mysticstoday.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/2016/04/20/mystics-latta-expected-to-miss-4-6-weeks

Quote:
following arthroscopic surgery to repair a lateral meniscus tear in her right knee

PostPosted: 04/20/16 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the Mystics were a bubble team to make the play-offs, but with Latta missing 4-6 weeks will have the Mystics starting from behind. I guess Cloud will start at PG unless they opt to bring back Lawson??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/16 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I thought the Mystics were a bubble team to make the play-offs, but with Latta missing 4-6 weeks will have the Mystics starting from behind. I guess Cloud will start at PG unless they opt to bring back Lawson??

I really don't think that's an 'opt' thing based on Washington's choice. If Lawson wants to play at some point this season, there'll be multiple teams interested.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: