RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/23/15 1:04 am    ::: Washington Mystics 2016 Reply Reply with quote

Another first round loss. What will it take to get over the hump? I guess it's because this team has a bunch of Robins but no Batman.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/23/15 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, there's a lot going on in a season, and a game, but I think Emma Meesseman needs to take the step from very good player to star for the Mystics to improve.

It's not out of the question, as she's young, but in a game three, you need your best player to at least be aggressive, and hopefully play well, but Emma seemed passive too often.

Also, she only goes left, so adding a move to her right hand would make her much tougher to guard. (It was interesting to watch her and Charles, as Charles only goes right ...)

PostPosted: 09/23/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i am not worried for washington. as i said earlier, they are a good team. their problem of losing in the first round is just being young.

PostPosted: 09/23/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Obviously, there's a lot going on in a season, and a game, but I think Emma Meesseman needs to take the step from very good player to star for the Mystics to improve.

It's not out of the question, as she's young, but in a game three, you need your best player to at least be aggressive, and hopefully play well, but Emma seemed passive too often.

Also, she only goes left, so adding a move to her right hand would make her much tougher to guard. (It was interesting to watch her and Charles, as Charles only goes right ...)

As a Liberty fan, I was surprised that Washington didn't go to Meesseman more. Some of her moves were dazzling. I agree that she was passive in Game Three, but I also felt that Washington could have looked for her more. Especially since New York was shorthanded up front and piling up fouls.

PostPosted: 09/23/15 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Emma will never be a franchise player or MVP kind of player for the Mystics. She just isnt that kind of player. The Mystics need a number 1 option (Latta should be the 3rd option at most) and Emma would be a good sidekick and number 2 on the team

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/24/15 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Emma will never be a franchise player or MVP kind of player for the Mystics. She just isnt that kind of player. The Mystics need a number 1 option (Latta should be the 3rd option at most) and Emma would be a good sidekick and number 2 on the team

I think you're spot on. Put a star scorer on the roster for the Mystics and now Emma and Latta are very hard to guard. Without that other scorer, though, there's always a defender hanging around who can take away Emma's left hand or bother Latta.

Of course, finding an elite scorer is far from a simple task. Even Breanna Stewart doesn't really qualify in that regard, though she's a great player.

PostPosted: 09/24/15 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think you're spot on. Put a star scorer on the roster for the Mystics and now Emma and Latta are very hard to guard. Without that other scorer, though, there's always a defender hanging around who can take away Emma's left hand or bother Latta.

Of course, finding an elite scorer is far from a simple task. Even Breanna Stewart doesn't really qualify in that regard, though she's a great player.

I agree about the lack of star part. I think at the beginning of the season we all agreed that the Mystics were going to have the same problem this year as last year -- no star.

Messeman is just 22. That's the same age as most of this year's rookies. Only five months older than Jewel Lloyd. The strides she's taken in 2 years are (imo) pretty big. She won't get to true super star level but I think she has the potential (still) to get to star level play wise. But her personality on the court is too passive for that now in terms of not demanding the ball or for her teammates to do X or not do Y.

petrel

PostPosted: 09/28/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like Armintie Herrington is retiring.

https://twitter.com/Armintie

Ivory Latta ‏@IvoryLatta12 3h3 hours ago

I'm really going to miss my girl @Armintie 😔😔I will have tears of joy.I'm so happy for you #StayBlessed #FriendAlways

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/15 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Armintie/status/648564279151566848

Quote:
God has something even more special for me next! Retiring with no regrets, great peace and a lot of Love! Lord I thank you!

PostPosted: 09/28/15 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Of she were to come out next spring, maybe Aerial Powers would be a good pick for the Mystics (if she was still available when they pick). She has the potential to be a WNBA scorer.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/28/15 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics need to miss the playoffs,get the #1 pick and hope D.Deshields declares for the 2017 draft.

Or make a trade:

Vaughn to seattle
Williams to washington
O'hea & Cloud/Hill to Dallas

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/28/15 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Mystics need to miss the playoffs,get the #1 pick and hope D.Deshields declares for the 2017 draft.

Or make a trade:

Vaughn to seattle
Williams to washington
O'hea & Cloud/Hill to Dallas

This Styx fan says "NO!"

~rAf
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/28/15 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given Williams' electric but undisciplined play, I don't think Thibault is the coach for her. He always talks about his teams playing at a faster pace, something that DC doesn't excel at. But he also requires structure. The wrong thing at the wrong time by Williams might jeopardize his health. I'm only half kidding, as red and angry as he is capable of getting.

PostPosted: 09/28/15 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riquna Williams and Mike Thibault do not seem like a match made in basketball heaven ...

PostPosted: 09/28/15 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't see an awful lot of point in chasing a Riquna Williams, who's basically a younger Latta (except not as good from outside). But the principal makes sense. Thibault can find players like Ruffin-Pratt and Cloud who can make valuble contributions to the rotation without much cost, so the play has to be giving up two or three pieces to get one more significant talent. They could give up something like, say, Vaughn+Hartley (and maybe even someone else on top) to get one key upgrade because they'll probably be able to fill out the rotation anyway.

The problem is that those kinds of trades don't happen very often in this league except when a star demands a move. So I don't really know where that one player is coming from.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, I don't see an awful lot of point in chasing a Riquna Williams, who's basically a younger Latta (except not as good from outside). But the principal makes sense. Thibault can find players like Ruffin-Pratt and Cloud who can make valuble contributions to the rotation without much cost, so the play has to be giving up two or three pieces to get one more significant talent. They could give up something like, say, Vaughn+Hartley (and maybe even someone else on top) to get one key upgrade because they'll probably be able to fill out the rotation anyway.

The problem is that those kinds of trades don't happen very often in this league except when a star demands a move. So I don't really know where that one player is coming from.

And in a sport where scorers are hard to find, at any level, who would give one up for fungible players like Vaughn and Hartley?

PostPosted: 09/29/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics don't need anything drastic. Replace Herrington with first round draft pick, hope for health, and build continuity.

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Lawson/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/#7
Meeseman/Sanders/Malott
Dolson/Vaughn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/29/15 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Mystics don't need anything drastic. Replace Herrington with first round draft pick, hope for health, and build continuity.

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Lawson/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/#7
Meeseman/Sanders/Malott
Dolson/Vaughn

looks right to me.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/29/15 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the Mystics can contend for a title unless Tayler Hill either improves dramatically or is replaced.

She is a poor shooter but takes more shots per 36 minutes than anyone else on the team, has fewer assists per 36 minutes than Kia Vaughn, has the same number of turnovers as assists, and she and Latta are by the far the worst rebounders on the team.

I guess she's slightly above average defensively, but from what I've seen, she would be adequate as the third or fourth guard, but is miscast as a starter for a top WNBA team.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Lawson/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/#7
Meeseman/Sanders/Malott
Dolson/Vaughn

looks right to me.

What about Bob? I mean the girl who had the baby.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tobequeen711 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Lawson/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/#7
Meeseman/Sanders/Malott
Dolson/Vaughn

looks right to me.

Yeah, good point. Maybe Sanders will be supporting the Turkish national team, and Hawkins can slide into that spot. Otherwise Malott might be on the bubble.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite the size reversal, I believe Cloud functions more as a 1 and Hartley more as a 2. Hartley was hampered by injuries this season, but she was essentially a starter in 2014. If she is healthy next year, it's possible that she could push Hill for that starting SG job. If nothing else, you would hope that the competition makes them both better.

PostPosted: 09/29/15 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tobequeen711 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Latta/Hartley
Hill/Lawson/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/#7
Meeseman/Sanders/Malott
Dolson/Vaughn

looks right to me.

Yeah, good point. Maybe Sanders will be supporting the Turkish national team, and Hawkins can slide into that spot. Otherwise Malott might be on the bubble.
If that happens, I wouldn't mind SA taking a chance on her. 6'4 with great perimeter ability. Just needs to work on getting stronger.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Despite the size reversal, I believe Cloud functions more as a 1 and Hartley more as a 2. Hartley was hampered by injuries this season, but she was essentially a starter in 2014. If she is healthy next year, it's possible that she could push Hill for that starting SG job. If nothing else, you would hope that the competition makes them both better.

Health and growing up. Mystics will be better with both.

Lawson and Latta could be coming off the bench behind Cloud and Hartley.

Hill could be designated offense at the 2/3.

Meesseman, Sanders and Dolson is a nice front line with TRP, Vaughn, and a draft choice off the bench.

Health might have given the Mystics home court, and that is a big difference maker.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/29/15 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hill is a player who just leaves so much on the table. She's good at penetrating yet shoots about half her shots from 3. To me, she should cut that down to about 25% of her shots, gain a little more muscle and just go to the rim. She's solid off the dribble. Her first step is tough to defend. Also utilizing that ability as a passer would help. She's too talented a player to be shooting .348 from the field with less than an assist per game. But if she doesn't change her game that's all she will ever be.

Which would be a shame from her standpoint and a team standpoint. She has the raw ability to be a big scorer.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: