RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Swin Cash, Candice Wiggins & Kiah Stokes on "Extra&

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/25/15 2:57 pm    ::: Swin Cash, Candice Wiggins & Kiah Stokes on "Extra& Reply Reply with quote

I saw this on the weekend edition of the "infotainment" tabloid show, "Extra".

A.J. Calloway is the correspondent for this segment.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/the-buzz/article/13508985/swin-cash-candice-wiggins-kiah-stokes-make-hilarious-appearance-extra

PostPosted: 08/25/15 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I approve of all their celebrity crushes. Laughing Kiah's answer.

akronborn

PostPosted: 08/25/15 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since the beginning of the league, I've never understood the marketing. It always backfires. Because certain personalities (who I like, personally) become the faces of the league or of the franchise. But then people take a chance and tune into the game, looking for those faces and they're like, "these are the superstars, but..", assuming you'd presented the best of the lot. Very bait and switch.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/26/15 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love it. I want to see more of this kind of stuff for the players in this league.
There is a lot of personality out there.

If the Libs won the title that would be huge for this league in a market like that one.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/26/15 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

akronborn wrote:
Since the beginning of the league, I've never understood the marketing. It always backfires. Because certain personalities (who I like, personally) become the faces of the league or of the franchise. But then people take a chance and tune into the game, looking for those faces and they're like, "these are the superstars, but..", assuming you'd presented the best of the lot. Very bait and switch.

the issue is the best personalities especially for a show like this aren't the best players (With leaguewide the exceptions being DT Bird and Diggins) Wiggins and Cash are the best and most media friendly members of the Libs (In fact Cash when she does decide to hang them up almost certainly will be headed to the Booth). Not to say Charles co are sticks in the mud and I agree with Queenie when she mentions to me how much Boyd takes off of Spoon.

stokes comes off quite well. But a lot of time charisma and talent are two different things and in promoting a league you need both. Its nowhere near crossing into Branded turf and if that ever happened i'd be the first to lash out.

your bait and switch comment is valid but I see that as much on fans as I do media. Our girls syndrome is very real, as is, sadly, great white hope syndrome even today (Although it's better than the NBA, birdman anyone? and has improved leaps and bounds since the days of that dreaded SI cover and Keith Van Horn's overhype) but don't think this is WNBA exclusive, Indeed for every Kelly Faris rant i can fire i can do 3 on why Brian Scalibrine lasted so long in the NBA. And let's not start on TEBOW.

Will say it is WAY better than in the beginning (where the W had to because the dirty secret was the best were in the ABL) and even the mid 2ks (Wyckoff, Dales lol)

Have the league overhyped medicore players through the years, yes, but some of that was just bad luck (Lobo) and some of that is there are just some bad interviews from great players (I love Catchings, is the most genuine athlete i've seen in a very long time, but the tv man in me finds her interviews borderline painful to watch) and players who dont make good hollywood type stars. It is odd to see especially when you see a great team like the Libs and the 3 they trot out to promote is their end of bench guard, defensive starter and a rookie, but there is more to promotion than basketball and especially wiggins has done a lot to support this team, and look it at her way. If your not putting up 25ppg at least you can draw 500 more fans per game.

Any promotion is good promotion, and while I wouldn't turn into this live this is what we need to see more of, its what made the single entity era get off to a good start, were getting there, the lower bowl is borderline SRO every night since the All star break and i'm expecting open 200s at least once more this year.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: