RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Some Opal players sitting out 2016 WNBA season for olympics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 08/24/15 3:58 pm    ::: Some Opal players sitting out 2016 WNBA season for olympics Reply Reply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/opals-give-up-big-money-for-olympic-dream-20150824-41iz4.html

Quote:
a lot of the girls have told me that they're probably going to sit out the WNBA to give themselves the best shot at playing for Australia

Quote:
Joyce insisted there was no pressure from him to make such a commitment, saying he was happy for them to play in the US

Quote:
It's something I haven't stressed because I think it created some real pressure on players staying out of the WNBA for the 2012 London Olympics

I'm sure LJ, Liz, Jarry, and probably Penny will all be sitting out but Erin, and Jenna have stayed pretty loyal to the wnba over their careers and Rebecca Allen has been getting paid this entire season without playing a game so I wonder if that was in her agreement with the liberty that she plays in 2016. Tolo, Francis, and Mitchell are all unknown to me.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/24/15 4:10 pm    ::: Re: Some Opal players sitting out 2016 WNBA season for olymp Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/opals-give-up-big-money-for-olympic-dream-20150824-41iz4.html

Quote:
a lot of the girls have told me that they're probably going to sit out the WNBA to give themselves the best shot at playing for Australia

Quote:
Joyce insisted there was no pressure from him to make such a commitment, saying he was happy for them to play in the US

Quote:
It's something I haven't stressed because I think it created some real pressure on players staying out of the WNBA for the 2012 London Olympics

I'm sure LJ, Liz, Jarry, and probably Penny will all be sitting out but Erin, and Jenna have stayed pretty loyal to the wnba over their careers and Rebecca Allen has been getting paid this entire season without playing a game so I wonder if that was in her agreement with the liberty that she plays in 2016. Tolo, Francis, and Mitchell are all unknown to me.

If Liz and LJ are healthy they will be on the team without a doubt. They dont have to sit out to make that happen. Same for Penny. So im expecting the likes of Jarry, O'Hea, Bishop, Francis to sit out next season because they are fighting for a spot

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/15 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"It doesn't mean that if they go to the WNBA they don't value it, but I think it's more about most of the girls that haven't been to an Olympic Games realise they've probably got to do that to make the team."

No pressure at all!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/24/15 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another issue is whether the players would want to risk injury by playing the WNBA since it might mean they miss the Olympics. I'm afraid a lot of teams will be having a extra roster spots to fill next summer, as not just the Australians, but also the players from Brazil, as well as those other teams that qualify will be less likely to show up, at least for part of the season. I'm figuring Dantas and Dumerc won't be showing up in Atlanta for at least part of next season, for example.) Will be a good year for rookies to get jobs and maybe for players from countries that don't make it to Rio.

BTW - My recollection is Erin Phillips didn't make the Opals last time, so not staying home may have cost her.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/24/15 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, but that was under a different coach. Looking at the Opals PG situation right now, well, to be nice, I can't see him leaving Erin Phillips off the roster.

Randy wrote:
Another issue is whether the players would want to risk injury by playing the WNBA since it might mean they miss the Olympics. I'm afraid a lot of teams will be having a extra roster spots to fill next summer, as not just the Australians, but also the players from Brazil, as well as those other teams that qualify will be less likely to show up, at least for part of the season. I'm figuring Dantas and Dumerc won't be showing up in Atlanta for at least part of next season, for example.) Will be a good year for rookies to get jobs and maybe for players from countries that don't make it to Rio.

BTW - My recollection is Erin Phillips didn't make the Opals last time, so not staying home may have cost her.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
True, but that was under a different coach. Looking at the Opals PG situation right now, well, to be nice, I can't see him leaving Erin Phillips off the roster.

Randy wrote:

Yeah, Graf was not a Phillips fan.
For Rio I'd say that there are few bigger locks to make the team than Erin, so she can do as she pleases.

I see Allen as an automatic selection too, which should give Liberty fans some heart. In fact I dare say Joyce might even encourage her to return to NY to fast track her development.

PostPosted: 08/24/15 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more difficult question is...will LJ grace us with her presence ever again?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/15 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
The more difficult question is...will LJ grace us with her presence ever again?

That's a question I had just about given up on getting a positive answer to, but a week ago during the FIBA series she gave a brief interview that made it sound like there was some renewed hope after a change of rehab team.
I don't think she's going to be much of an on-court factor either way, but after the way she has been working for years to get back I would really like to see her make it, just so that she can go out on her own terms. It would mean a lot to her and to aussie basketball.

PostPosted: 08/24/15 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK enough about the Aussie players, who are the 12 likely players to make the team?

the names I know

LJ
Penny
Cambage
Allen
O'hea
Jarry
Mitchell
Phillips
Tolo
Francis

Magden?

Talbot?
Mckcloud?

Veal?
Harrower?

that is 15 (though the last two might be retired) are the 12 most likely to make the squad on that list? Who else could go? Any naturalized Americans or others in the mix?

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/24/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I don't think she's going to be much of an on-court factor either way, but after the way she has been working for years to get back I would really like to see her make it, just so that she can go out on her own terms. It would mean a lot to her and to aussie basketball.

Yeah. It would suck for her not to have a swan song and tribute for her last season. She defined the Seattle franchise, and should have her number retired after her final season.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/15 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a pretty good list, J-Spoon.

Harrower is retired now so you can cross her off.

I'm going to preface my opinions with the fact that there is still a full WNBL season to come between now and when the Rio squad starts getting really trimmed down, and I think this season will definitely help shape those fringe spots on the team.

Joyce is pretty youth-focussed, and even in recent series with his WNBA players unavailable he has mostly opted for youth over experience, so I'm guessing that Veal and MacLeod are unlikely. Tessa Lavey has been his choice of starting point guard this year. She's young and still raw, but has been pretty solid, so I predict she will make it. There's another point guard named Rebecca Cole, who I rate highly, but she suffered an ACL tear in May so is unlikely.
In the front court, Natalie Burton has been his pet player. I'm still trying to get my head around that one but I think she is a serious chance to make it. Veterans Belinda Snell, Laura Hodges (Summerton) & Suzy Batkovic are still all in the mix as well, and are all realistic chances IMO.
The other x-factor is Kelsey Griffin, who might be eligible to play for Australia.

My early guess, assuming LJ doesn't make it, and based on my perception of Joyce's opinions:

Lavey, Mitchell, Phillips
Talbot, Taylor, Allen, O'Hea, Jarry
Hodges, Francis, Tolo, Cambage

PostPosted: 08/24/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely think it would be of benefit to Allen to play for NY next season. Unselfishly of course.

PostPosted: 08/24/15 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Another issue is whether the players would want to risk injury by playing the WNBA since it might mean they miss the Olympics.

So that brings up the issue of when players get injured. Is it much more likely to happen in games than in practices? Certainly a lot of practice time is much less rigorous than a game, but at some point I think they will scrimmage at full speed (and with men), although I guess it never hits game intensity. Which I think could make an argument for playing in the WNBA pre-Olympics. Instead of 3 months of lower intensity scrimmaging you get some intense competition to keep you sharp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: