RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Republican Presidential Candidates Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
fiorina's no idiot. if there's one thing we need most in a POTUS, it's someone with a sharp mind.

If raw intelligence were the sole criteria, it would be a two-person race between Cruz and Carson.

But intelligence is no guarantee of competence, temperament, judgment or leadership.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/07/15 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More precisely, I said the "woman who deserves". I've been very impressed with Carly ever since she came to my attention in 2010.

Post debate cognitive dissonance:

The Luntz audience group said Trump lost big time, as did some pundits. The Drudge instant poll shows that Trump won big time (46%).

Many outlets, including competitors, say the Fox moderators were superbly prepared, sharp and took no prisoners. Others say they were too self-absorbed and full of themeselves, biased particularly against Trump, and had too many gimmicky, gotcha questions that focused on superficial things instead of issues of national importance.

Early ratings returns seem to be showing that it was the most watched candidate debate in history, perhaps doubling the previous leader.

All in all, it was a spectacular television entertainment coup for Fox News, but it didn't really advance my opinion of any of the candidates.

Except for the magnificent Carly, of course. Maybe Rubio would make a good running mate for her.
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/07/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:
fiorina's no idiot. if there's one thing we need most in a POTUS, it's someone with a sharp mind.

If raw intelligence were the sole criteria, it would be a two-person race between Cruz and Carson.

But intelligence is no guarantee of competence, temperament, judgment or leadership.

It's not "book smarts" intelligence that matters but a more reflective intellegenge. Where someone can put aside their biases and come to a well reasoned, factual understanding of whatever issue is at hand, and be able to turn that reasoning into a plan of action.

I believe neither Cruz nor Carson have this type of intelligence. Obama does.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:

yeah, but i didn't cite intelligence only, did i?

PostPosted: 08/07/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:

For Fiorina? I think you did.

She has a track record. It isn't good.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/07/15 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:

It's not "book smarts" intelligence that matters but a more reflective intellegenge. Where someone can put aside their biases and come to a well reasoned, factual understanding of whatever issue is at hand, and be able to turn that reasoning into a plan of action.

I call that judgment and temperament.

I never said Cruz did. I don't believe he does. I question whether Obama does either. Carson may or may not but has zero relevant experience qualifying him for the job.

My inclusion of Cruz and Carson was to highlight that simply being smart does not alone remotely merit consideration as a potential president of the US.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/07/15 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:

I call that judgment and temperament.

I never said Cruz did. I don't believe he does. I question whether Obama does either. Carson may or may not but has zero relevant experience qualifying him for the job.

My inclusion of Cruz and Carson was to highlight that simply being smart does not alone remotely merit consideration as a potential president of the US.

Yeah, I was basically agreeing with you. That just calling it "intelligence" is ill fitting. There are many types of intelligence, and not all are key in a president.

But I do believe Obama has demonstrated this sort of rational intelligence. His nuanced dealings with GITMO (instead of just reacting to his party's base), his measured response in dealing with Iran, his changes to our Cuba policy, the way he has handled state pot legalization...

His actions feel well thought out and not reactionary.

I can't say the same for certain Republican candidates.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Intellect alone certainly isn't determinative. However, the majority of voters have a threshold they expect candidates to reach and will automatically discount those that fall short. I know I do. I would never consider a dim bulb like Rick Perry, for example.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sambista wrote:

For Fiorina? I think you did.

She has a track record. It isn't good.

nooooo, i said she was no idiot. and that i disqualified her because of her stance on issues. intelligence is just one quality for which i could consider her. please read what i wrote, not what you think i wrote.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fox "down with Trump" campaign continues in full swing today.

Check out their website for articles like "Trumps collapse may create opportunity for the GOP to engage Latinos" . Or the Krauthammer video below.

But they are pumping up Rubio, Cruz and Fiorina.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4404624828001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/07/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debate shattered all sorts of cable TV records. May be the highest rated cable show ever, other than some sports events.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/fox-news-has-most-watched-primary-debate-ever-24-million-tune-in/269157

America must love Fox. Roger Ailes is a media genius. Megyn Kelly is taking on an aging hooker look, and is receiving mutually exclusive avalanches of praise and criticism for her performance. Perhaps she should enter the Democratic primary race.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 08/07/15 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/07/15 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

error
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/07/15 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Check out their website for articles like "Trumps collapse may create opportunity for the GOP to engage Latinos" . Or the Krauthammer video below.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4404624828001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>

It makes sense. Rubio is young and good looking. He's going to appeal to the middle class because of his upbringing (even though he's Republican.) He sounds reasonable when he talks...he's even ever so slightly more socially liberal than his counterparts (which..quite frankly..they need. Republicans can't win an election with it's war against minorities, women, and homosexuals.) Also, he's likely to win the swing state being he's from Florida.

He's the only candidate that could beat Clinton.

The name Bush will scare people off, and they (Repubs) know it. Donald Trump (Despite actually sounding more reasonable than the rest of the crowd last night) is a joke. Cruz can't win a general election (not that FoxNews will think that way) either..(see, can't win an election with it's war against minorities, women, and homosexuals..) Huckabee...he's likable. He's kind of like an old man that seems heartwarming but then he starts talking and racist crap comes out of his mouth. (Okay, he is exactly that.)

Rubio's Clinton's biggest competition. Of course, the best part of last night was learning that if Trump doesn't win the primary, he'll run as an independent..so maybe they're just handing it over to the Dems again.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

The opportunity to engage Latinos would require them to take positiosn on immigration that Latinos would not find offensive. While Jeb! has tried to do that, nobody else seems willing, and the base has a real problem with anything that is short of "deport them all."

TonyL222

PostPosted: 08/07/15 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

America must love Fox.

I think most non-Repubs were watching in case there was a train wreck. Didn't want to miss. No major disaster. But the Trump care did derail. Ben Carson is a major bore.

The viewer panel was telling. No minorities. Well there was one lone black guy on the back row who never said a word. Makes me wonder if he wasn't just one of the production crew that they asked to sit there so the could pretend to be inclusive.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/07/15 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The opportunity to engage Latinos would require them to take positiosn on immigration that Latinos would not find offensive. While Jeb! has tried to do that, nobody else seems willing, and the base has a real problem with anything that is short of "deport them all."

Certainly true. I was focusing on their characterization of Trump's performance as a "collapse."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/07/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

America must love Fox.

The viewer panel was telling. No minorities. Well there was one lone black guy on the back row who never said a word.

I'm not sure they said where the panel was from. In any event, the panel was supposed to be one of strong Republican voters. How many blacks fit that definition?
TonyL222

PostPosted: 08/07/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

America must love Fox.

The viewer panel was telling. No minorities. Well there was one lone black guy on the back row who never said a word.

I'm not sure they said where the panel was from. In any event, the panel was supposed to be one of strong Republican voters. How many blacks fit that definition?

That is exactly my point. The Republican party is not welcoming to minorities other than for there vote. They will parade Ben Carson around this election just like they did Herman Cane(where is he), Alan Keyes (where is he), and the other useful idiots Until their parade value is gone. Where is Michael Steele?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/07/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

America must love Fox.

That is exactly my point. The Republican party is not welcoming to minorities other than for there vote. They will parade Ben Carson around this election just like they did Herman Cane (where is he), Alan Keyes (where is he), and the other useful idiots Until their parade value is gone. Where is Michael Steele?

Maybe it's a good thing that Condoleeza Rice isn't interested in running for public office.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Of course, the best part of last night was learning that if Trump doesn't win the primary, he'll run as an independent..so maybe they're just handing it over to the Dems again.

I don't think a Clinton could get elected any other way...

TonyL222 wrote:
Where is Michael Steele?

MSNBC

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Of course, the best part of last night was learning that if Trump doesn't win the primary, he'll run as an independent..so maybe they're just handing it over to the Dems again.

I don't think a Clinton could get elected any other way...

With this group of Repubs, unless it's Rubio (and even then..)..she's going to be president.

Hell, people say Bernie is unelectable..but he might even be able to beat 14 of the 17.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
Where is Michael Steele?

MSNBC

I miss the Bangles

PostPosted: 08/07/15 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:

TonyL222 wrote:
Where is Michael Steele?

MSNBC

What I meant was where are theynow within the Republican Party

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/08/15 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
Where is Michael Steele?

MSNBC

What I meant was where are they now within the Republican Party

As did I! He not only got excommunicated from the Fox party, he did something completely beyond the pale. And since it's Jon Stewart Week:

Although Luuuc makes a solid point...

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/08/15 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wouldn't waste my time watching that cartoon!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: