RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Republican Presidential Candidates Debate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/06/15 7:10 pm    ::: Republican Presidential Candidates Debate Reply Reply with quote

Fox News Channel - 8:50 ET, 5:50 PT

Bret Baier, Megyn Kelly, Chris Wallace. Moderators.

From Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio

Donald Trump
Jeb Bush
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Marco Rubio
Scott Walker
Ben Carson
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Rand Paul

Cool

PostPosted: 08/06/15 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is such a sham. Right from the get go Fox is out to get the candidates that Murdoch and Ailes don't like.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/06/15 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we need brain in this country

PostPosted: 08/06/15 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if there was a moderator with a brain and just a sliver of objectivity.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/06/15 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was satire right?

On a side note, Rubio is a scary candidate. If he wins the Republican primaries, he could beat Hillary.

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rubio has zero chance.

And no, it wasn't satire.

Do you think this is a serious presidential debate when Fox asks the candidates if they have received instructions from God on what they should do?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Kasich made the biggest jump tonight, outperforming his small numbers and earning some credibility.

Trump fended off the blatant attacks from the moderators.

Cruz is even worse than I thought.

I fail to see the appeal of Walker. He's boring and underwhelming. There's no obvious reason to pick him out of this field.

The Jeb seemed to hold his own, but he sure isn't very inspiring.

Christie is always pretty good as a speaker but just isn't credible pretending to be an arch conservative.

Rubio is smooth and is putting his eggs in the "I'm younger than all these other guys" basket. But he looked good. Still think he has no traction in this field.

Paul has become irrelevant. Just a fringe player with a small but loyal following.

Huckabee and Carson and the JV squad are just noise.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forcing myself to watch the Kelly Files post debate analysis. It's really clear that the Fox analyst are on a mission to sink Donald Trump.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Forcing myself to watch the Kelly Files post debate analysis. It's really clear that the Fox analyst are on a mission to sink Donald Trump.

No surprise there. He's not in bed with the Koch brothers, so Koch News will trash him every chance they get.

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:

The very first question made that Ailes campaign clear.

Everybody knew what the answer would be. Nothing but an effort to embarass Trump.

Frankly, if you are a Trump supporter, why would you be offended if he ran a 3rd party campaign.

Oh, and it gave Rand Paul a chance to embarass himself, which he promptly did.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:

No surprise there. He's not in bed with the Koch brothers, so Koch News will trash him every chance they get.

I'm not sure that Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers are friends. They may actually be more rivals and may well be supporting different people.

But none of them like Trump because he doesn't need any of them or kiss their asses.

Barrister15

PostPosted: 08/06/15 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This debate was comedy gold. Perhaps it's more than coincidence that they scheduled it for the same night we said goodbye to Jon Stewart and the Daily Show was in transition -- he would have skewered them all.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/06/15 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
This debate was comedy gold. Perhaps it's more than coincidence that they scheduled it for the same night we said goodbye to Jon Stewart and the Daily Show was in transition -- he would have skewered them all.

Well, Trevor has a lot of material..

PostPosted: 08/06/15 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The woman who deserves to be president -- Carly, the laser beam:

http://therightscoop.com/must-watch-carly-fiorina-destroys-hillary-clinton-in-interview-with-chris-matthews/
tfan

PostPosted: 08/07/15 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't watch the debate but saw a 2 minute clip of the "Only Rosie O'Donnell" part. I think Trump demonstrated that he can't get elected. Politicians take every opportunity to say the thing that will garner the most votes by satisfying as many people as possible and offending as few people as possible. After getting the big laugh Trump had an opportunity to really score big points by saying things to counter the implication of the question, but he didn't do it.

His statements that "we're being beat by China" and "we're being beat by Mexico, both in their country and at the border" go counter to everything Trump's mega-rich peers believe and I wonder if he does. We purposely educate as many Chinese students who can get admission to our universities. We purposely sent massive amounts of jobs to China, and to a much lesser extent Mexico. We purposely avoid enforcing illegal immigration in a meaningful way.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/07/15 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not an original observation, but people who aren't Republican voters saying that they were impressed by Kasich actually is a reason to think he can't get the nomination.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/07/15 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
It's not an original observation, but people who aren't Republican voters saying that they were impressed by Kasich actually is a reason to think he can't get the nomination.

lol. I liked Kasich and I think you have a point there. Wink

Glenn, why does Carly 'deserve' to be President of the United States? Because she had an okay debate performance? She was a disaster on the stump and during debates (if I remember correctly) when she ran for the senate here in Cali. She doesn't deserve to be anything but what she is, a candidate. Maybe now one that has deservedly cracked the top ten. Maybe.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
beknighted wrote:

lol. I liked Kasich and I think you have a point there. Wink

Glenn, why does Carly 'deserve' to be President of the United States? Because she had an okay debate performance? She was a disaster on the stump and during debates (if I remember correctly) when she ran for the senate here in Cali. She doesn't deserve to be anything but what she is, a candidate. Maybe now one that has deservedly cracked the top ten. Maybe.

i watched the linked matthews interview, and i'll say one thing: fiorina's no idiot. if there's one thing we need most in a POTUS, it's someone with a sharp mind. of all the things you could say about obama, you have to admit he's an intelligent, thoughtful man. you might disagree with him and decide that his thinking, or those of other bright past presidents and hopefuls, is flawed on some level, but you can't say that his process came straight out of his ass. it'll be interesting to see what history makes of him because, as much as he has been viewed as too radical by some and too yielding to others, the truth (my truth) is he's been pragmatic to the extreme. his decision on cuba immediately comes to mind. in my deliberations, i'll give anyone who's intelligent and thoughtful and has a sense of the requisite propriety and comportment (to tony's point) a shot. that automatically eliminates trump, christie and a whole bunch of these other jokers. unfortunately, fiorina's got too many marks against her for where she stands on the issues, as far as my personal choice. but i wouldn't kick her to the curb as someone who could not contribute as a thought leader, if only as a worthy counterpoint.

as an aside, as much as some of us have always loved hillary, i'm afraid she's a victim of poor timing. it feels like this election has already slipped away from her. too late, too much baggage, embraced more by who she has been than who she will be in america's future. and joe biden and crew know it.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
as an aside, as much as some of us have always loved hillary, i'm afraid she's a victim of poor timing. it feels like this election has already slipped away from her. too late, too much baggage, embraced more by who she has been than who she will be in america's future. and joe biden and crew know it.

I find it hard to believe that Joe Biden (73 years old on election day) or Bernie Sanders (75 years old on election day) represent our future.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sambista wrote:

I find it hard to believe that Joe Biden (73 years old on election day) or Bernie Sanders (75 years old on election day) represent our future.

i don't think he does, but he does know that hillary's in trouble, and he's got nothing to lose.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well define 'trouble'. everything you said about bad timing etc.? yes. totally agree. but like not going to get elected president kind of trouble? no. this Clinton machine is going to be something to see. aided by possibly another Bush as an opponent and possibly a Ross Per--- er I mean Donald Trump running as an independent to muck things up on Election Day. Except that The Donald was fawning over Bush last night at times, sort of setting the stage for Bush being the 'someone who' Trump must admire in order for him to support as nominee.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were a Demo I would want Biden to run. Otherwise you risk a repeat of 2000, where Gore was essentially unopposed in the primaries and his campaign never came into focus. It turned in to a disastrous general election effort that made what should have been as easy win into an overtime heartbreaker. Biden won't win, but he'll sharpen up the Clinton campaign so they'll be ready.

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that's a good point. Cool

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The woman who deserves to be president -- Carly, the laser beam:

http://therightscoop.com/must-watch-carly-fiorina-destroys-hillary-clinton-in-interview-with-chris-matthews/

Sure. So she can mismanage and nearly destroy the United States the same way she did HP.

Her single claim to fame - I got fired from the CEO position at HP.

Yeah, there's a "deserving" candidate all right. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: