RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Finally Fowles...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not sure why Chicago fans or for that matter WNBA fans are against this trade. It was figured out at the beginning of this season that Sylvia wanted to go to Minnesota. (by the way congratulations to those rebkell fans) It was obvious that Sylvia was not going to play this year without getting what she wanted. This left Pokey with very little options. She has decided to make the team better in order for Chicago to have the best chance to get into the WNBA finals. I support that decision.

Last edited by UofDel_Alum on 07/27/15 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I think Chicago is the team that got hosed. Unless I'm confused, it looks like they gave up Fowles AND a second round pick to get back de Souza. Erika has looked really old this season. At her best, she wasn't as good as Fowles. Unless Erika has been dogging it and this trade inspires a sudden revival, then the deal is ridiculously lopsided. Maybe it helps Chicago against the rest of the league, but it severely damages their chances against Minnesota. Their odds of winning the Eastern Conference went up, but their chances of winning a championship went down. I thought the latter was the goal.

Atlanta does great IMHO. They get two young players and a 1st round pick for someone who looks to be in decline. Based on advanced statistics, Dantas is already the better player:

Dantas - PER 14.1; Win Shares 1.1
de Souza - PER 12.5; Win Shares 0.7

Minnesota walks away like bandits -- at least on paper. They get an All-Star still in her prime in exchange for a part-time player and a bench warmer who barely plays. Given their depth, the downgrade in draft picks is almost irrelevant. The Lynx just went from a mild favorite to win it all to the prohibitive favorite.

Nice analysis, root_thing. Similar to mine with added supporting evidence. Wink

I still don't know why Fowles was hellbent on coming to Minnesota, unless it had something to do with playing with Maya in Turkey.

Here's what Cooper says about Reshanda Gray:
"Reshanda Gray is a very good young player in this league. She is a tough player who competes on the boards at both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I am not sure why Chicago fans or for that matter WNBA fans are against this trade. It was figured out at the beginning of this season that Sylvia wanted to go to Minnesota. (by the way congratulations to those rebkell fans) It was obvious that Sylvia was not going to play this year without getting what she wanted. This left Pokey with very little options. She has decided to make the team better in order for Chicago to have the best chance to get into the WNBA finals. I support that decision.

We are against it because she just made the favourite stronger. It appears that Chicago decreased their chances of winning the finals and increased the Lynx chances of winning it. The only good thing about it is next year the Lynx will be better prepared to try and stop the Mercury from again dominating the league. But that ultimately only means the Lynx and Mercury will dominate the league.

Last edited by tfan on 07/27/15 9:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Congrats to the Lynx!

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

We are against it because she just made the favorite stronger. Chicago did not increase their chances of winning the finals.

Yes, I understand the west feelings, but your wrong, this trade made Chicago better. Does not guarantee a Eastern championship.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:
I'm from Minnesota, but the Lynx remind me way too much of UCONN to like them. Stack all the best players in the country on one team and everyone acts like the coach is some type of genius for actually winning games...sheesh

See, what did I tell ya? Confused

tfan

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

We are against it because she just made the favorite stronger. Chicago did not increase their chances of winning the finals.

Yes, I understand the west feelings, but your wrong, this trade made Chicago better. Does not guarantee a Eastern championship.

I wasn't saying it didn't make Fowles-less Chicago better, I was saying it didn't make Chicago better versus the Lynx. I think the Lynx improved more from Fowles than any improvement Chicago got by getting DeSouza. Although having said that, if Fowles starts the thing where she angrily demands the ball without a fully established post position, the Lynx may have some issues.

But you're right, I shouldn't assume a Chicago/Lynx championship is a done deal. They aren't even in first place. if they did it to try and improve their chances to get to the Finals, then it makes sense.

Last edited by tfan on 07/27/15 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
I'm from Minnesota, but the Lynx remind me way too much of UCONN to like them. Stack all the best players in the country on one team and everyone acts like the coach is some type of genius for actually winning games...sheesh

When I saw that comment I immediately guessed that FemmeFatale mustn't have been around here during the 2012 season.

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The people who are saying "Chicago just handed Minnesota a title," let me ask this: what should Pokey have done? Sylvia wasn't going to play for them. The only place she would go is Minnesota. So should Pokey not have traded her at all? Let her sit the rest of the year and go for nothing? Or try to get something for her? This isn't like Phoenix and Diana. The Sky couldn't sit tight for a year and then Sylvia would be back.

Yes, Minnesota is a massive favorite. But massive favorites have failed before. And if Minnesota fails, the Sky are probably the favorite to be the team that will jump in and take their title. This deal wasn't about trying to catch Minnesota. This was about trying to get ahead of the rest of the league in the event Minnesota flames out.

The Sky got something for nothing in this deal. Is it value for value? I would argue yes it is. The Sky got a good player who will PLAY, for a great player who won't. Who cares how good Sylvia is sitting at home?

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
IDK I think it makes Chicago better this year but if I was Chicago I might have preferred Dantas, Gray and Minny's 1st round pick in a straight up trade. De Souuza seems a little off this season, next year is an Olympic year so she might miss some time and the following year she is 35. IMO Chicago is going all in for this season, but will struggle to beat the team they traded Fowles to if they make it to the finals which is why so many in Chicago were against making any sort of trade in the first place. Or I'm just annoyed because this will really make it a lot harder on NY this season.

In other news Atlanta did OK, I don't think this is a bad move for them, they have a nice current and future post contingent in Lyttle, Henry, Dantas, Burdick and Gray, and will be able to absorb the loss of Lyttle in the future better than before, and it wasn't like they were setting the world a blaze this season. Even if they miss out on Stewart if Atl does end up in the lottery Mo Jeff could be a nice solution to their biggest problem.

We have a bunch of forwards now, but no center. Who's going to play center? Lyttle (when she returns)? She's not built to be a center. Henry is the closest we have (at 6'4"), but to me, she's also a forward (on her bio, she's listed as a F/C). She's also prone to fouling a lot, so will her minutes go up, or stay the same because she's parked on the bench in foul trouble?

I'm not sold MoJeff will stick in the league. I think her size will get in her way. I love her game and her quickness, but her size is a concern to me.

It looked to me like Henry was getting most of her minutes behind De Souza this season, and Dantas was getting most her minutes behind Jones at the center spot in Minny. Neither are the dominant old school rim protecting center that De Souza was but both have and can play at the center spot. Atl has also been playing Angel at the 4 spot a little so maybe they are trying to go smaller and faster. I hope it works out for Atlanta since they are one of my favorite teams and watching them struggle this season (except when playing NY) has been a bummer.

Also I think Jefferson is small but she has the speed to maybe be a smaller D-Rob type of player and unlike D-Rob she has an outside shot, I think her basement is being a faster, stronger, more defensive version of Mitchell, which would be a big improvement on the PG options that Atl currently has. She also seems to have that Atlanta vibe and could be a nice fit alongside Hayes and McCoughtry. TBH even with the trade I still think Atlanta will fight its way into the playoffs so Atl fans should keep an eye on next years crop of PGs with its two first round picks.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:

At least UConn has to put in the work of recruiting their players. Minnesota just sits back and waits for luck in the draft or elite players to demand to play for them. At least they had to make a trade for one of their starters (of course they traded a draft pick they lucked into ....).

I have said for years, the pooling of elite talent into a couple of teams is very bad for the league. This just makes it worse.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted: 04/16/15 5:17 pm wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
I an done with the lynx gm worst drafter ever!!'

And then the next thing you know, Sylvia Fowles goes to MIN...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1296978&#1296978

I predicted Sylvia Fowles would go to MIN back in April. Idea

And within minutes of hearing the news that she wanted to be traded, I predicted it. Inside information? I don't need no stinkin' inside information... I don't need no stinkin' badges, either. I'm that good Razz Mr. Green

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

idchafee wrote:
The people who are saying "Chicago just handed Minnesota a title," let me ask this: what should Pokey have done? Sylvia wasn't going to play for them. The only place she would go is Minnesota. So should Pokey not have traded her at all? Let her sit the rest of the year and go for nothing? Or try to get something for her? This isn't like Phoenix and Diana. The Sky couldn't sit tight for a year and then Sylvia would be back.

Yes, Minnesota is a massive favorite. But massive favorites have failed before. And if Minnesota fails, the Sky are probably the favorite to be the team that will jump in and take their title. This deal wasn't about trying to catch Minnesota. This was about trying to get ahead of the rest of the league in the event Minnesota flames out.

The Sky got something for nothing in this deal. Is it value for value? I would argue yes it is. The Sky got a good player who will PLAY, for a great player who won't. Who cares how good Sylvia is sitting at home?

If the goal is to win a title, as if should be for a team who was in the finals they year before, they got farther away from that goal with this trade. They would have had more of a chance of winning a title keeping Fowles cored and not playing. Now they have made the team they have to go through stronger.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

This is the best that the Sky could get for Fowles IMO. They are in win now or win next year mode. I was a little scared about how DeSouza was going to take this change but then i realised that the Sky have another Brazilian player in Dos Santos Laughing So she will be fine. She will play better with the Sky because Sloot will get her the ball in the right place and she doesnt draw a lot of defensive attention because the Sky already have EDD and Cappie on the wings.

Quote:
If the goal is to win a title, as if should be for a team who was in the finals they year before, they got farther away from that goal with this trade. They would have had more of a chance of winning a title keeping Fowles cored and not playing. Now they have made the team they have to go through stronge

The Lynx first need to worry about beating Phoenix/Sparks (Nneka, Parker and Lavender line-up) first Wink If any team matches up well with the Lynx in a series it would be the Sparks. Nneka guarding Maya, Parker vs Brunson Tolo can go up against Fowles and see if she can handle her the way she does Griner. Rematch Erin vs Augustus. That is going to be a fun series Very Happy

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 07/27/15 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what everyone needs to understand is Chicago has seemed to give themselves a small timetable to a win a championship and they were not going to do that with any of the center options and they at least were given one who knows what she is doing and has experience. Lets not forget she was all star just last season and all chicago needs for her is to have a couple of more healthy, pretty productive seasons and then they go from there. Cappie and Erika are obviously not young and will need a championship in the next two years and I think it is very possible. Who knows is Syl is in game shape and who knows how they click. Seimone isn't even playing right now.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

idchafee wrote:

Chicago was in a no-win situation. If you make Fowles sit, then you're keeping the best center from 5 years ago from playing in the league. If you trade her, then you get criticized for helping another team. And sometimes it's the same people making both comments. Very Happy

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

idchafee wrote:

In the thread where this was being discussed at the beginning of the season I was very much in the camp of Chicago should trade Fowles something is better than nothing and a majority of people disagreed with that sentiment and many firmly stated they should just let her sit.

At the time Brunson and Wright or a 3 team traded that landed them De Souza and a pick from Minny were the ideas of what Chicago could get back in a good deal for Fowles, and it wasn't seen as enough at the time by many on the board.

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If everything holds up the west is going to be very very scary next season.

Lindsey
Seimone
Maya
Rebekkah
Sylvia

Odyssey
Skylar
Karima
Glory/Plenette
Courtney

Diana
Monique (unless penny plays in olympic year)
Dewanna
Candice
Brittney

Erin
Kristi
Candace
Nneka
Jantel

and whoever gets breanna. oh dear

Shades

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:

At least UConn has to put in the work of recruiting their players. Minnesota just sits back and waits for luck in the draft or elite players to demand to play for them. At least they had to make a trade for one of their starters (of course they traded a draft pick they lucked into ....).

I have said for years, the pooling of elite talent into a couple of teams is very bad for the league. This just makes it worse.

I don't think just sitting back helps much for driving elite players to demand to play for them. They had to do something right. Pokey sat back and drove Fowles away. Maybe the true face of the league had something to do with it?

bekcat1

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Stewart ends up on a West team. It's about time for the odds to swing for an Eastern team to win the lottery.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Erika is out of contract at the end of the season and can't be cored again. The Dream would have likely lost her and gotten nothing in return anyway.

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

I would tend to agree with your assessment. While before the trade both the Lynx and the Sky were the favored to make the finals, this doesn't mean the other teams were just going to hand it to them.

Yes, this probably makes the Lynx tougher to beat if the Sky run into them in the finals, but teams can't think that way. Instead, they have to think, "Does this trade make my team better?". Perhaps you consider the other team's strength a little bit if they are in the same conference/division, but to a team in the opposing conference? To win a championship, you first have to actually make it to the finals. To worry about the team you will face if you happen to get there is putting the cart before the horse.

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Also, Erika is out of contract at the end of the season and can't be cored again. The Dream would have likely lost her and gotten nothing in return anyway.

Now that's true. I'm not sure we would have lost her, though.

I wonder who the Dream cores now?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:

Well, fun to watch, but in terms of being scary, there's only MIN and PHO, then a huge drop-off. Unless LA gets Breanna Stewart, that is Razz

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:

Well, fun to watch, but in terms of being scary, there's only MIN and PHO, then a huge drop-off. Unless LA gets Breanna Stewart, that is Razz

Or if Cambage decides to show up (granted this is unlikely in a Olympic year, but perhaps with the whole Dallas thing...).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: