RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New women's league

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/21/15 7:08 pm    ::: New women's league Reply Reply with quote

The National Women's Hockey League starts in October 2015 with the Boston Pride, Buffalo Beauts, Connecticut Whale and New York Riveters.

Unlike the CWHL, these players will be paid, not great but paid. Each team will have an 18-player roster with a salary cap of 270,000 (15,000 avg salary) so a part-time gig for now.

I'm hoping it does well but with only 4 teams playing October to March, it needs more teams. It needs a Canadian footprint. It would be nice to see teams out of the Northeast---Minnesota would be nice. Media coverage is going to be tough at first.

A four letter league is hard to crack into the media--and having Women's in your name seems quite redundant--at least the league didn't put Professional in their name.

It will have my 100% sports junkie support. Those that live in the team markets, I urge you to get out there and be seen.

League site is spartan right now but I do expect more additions closer to puck drop. http://nwhl.co/

PamelaT

PostPosted: 07/01/15 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure who names their team the "Whale" (it is only a short step to "whales" and that doesn't sound very nice), but that logo with the whale with the hockey stick is pretty cute...

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/01/15 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PamelaT wrote:
I'm not sure who names their team the "Whale" (it is only a short step to "whales" and that doesn't sound very nice), but that logo with the whale with the hockey stick is pretty cute...

I guess the NWHL didn't want any confusion with the old Hartford (CT) Whalers NHL team. The Whalers relocated in 1997 and became the Carolina Hurricanes.

PostPosted: 07/01/15 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully this means a return of the greatest sneakers ever, the Stadia Whale...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VtWw9DYwxwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 07/01/15 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're going to try and catch the Riveters, but first we have to figure out where they're playing. Originally I heard out on Long Island, but now they're saying they're going to be in Brooklyn.

(now with spelling variations)
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PamelaT wrote:

I guess the NWHL didn't want any confusion with the old Hartford (CT) Whalers NHL team. The Whalers relocated in 1997 and became the Carolina Hurricanes.

the whale was a nick name for the whalers...it's a recycled name and logo so i guess the old owners of the Hartford wolf pack kept the rights and marks and went down this road instead.

This team was the wolfpack when they bought it from MSG then gave it back to MSG and resumed being the wolfpack

and yes I am going to make it out to Riviter games as long as they are close enough to access

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: