RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

When will Mercury announce...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/02/15 7:03 pm    ::: When will Mercury announce... Reply Reply with quote

...that Penny Taylor won't play this season? Everybody knows she's taking the summer off to play with her gf. They announced she's attending the banner raising in street clothes. Are they afraid everyone will figure out that the whole franchise is in on the tank? Is there any WNBA fan anywhere who doesn't know the plan? Anywhere? Why don't they just bring in an actual replacement team and forego any illusion of an intent to win games this season?

~rAf
Randy

PostPosted: 06/02/15 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is not even listed on their roster and their web page says she's not planning on playing this year.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/02/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is not under contract so it is a little bit odd. Technically, she could play where ever she wants.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/02/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is there to "announce" about it exactly?
Does every UFA that comes out of contract get announced?
Penny's absence was mentioned several times throughout yesterday's Media Day in the commentary and the interviews, so as much as they're obviously not shouting it from the mountain tops that Penny won't be on the team, they are still acknowledging it.

PostPosted: 06/02/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WTF...they are not denying it...they just aren't making it as big of deal as Taurasi or Griner missing time.

As you just stated, "They announced she's attending the banner raing in street clothes."

It was mentioned numerous times in their media day "live coverage".

Here's another mention:

http://mercury.wnba.com/news/from-a-z-previewing-the-2015-phoenix-mercury/

Quote:
P: Penny. A three-time WNBA champion, Penny Taylor is one of the two most important players in Mercury franchise history. Theres a reason why every time weve won a championship its Penny thats driving the ship, Diana Taurasi brilliantly stated at the 2014 Championship Rally.

Though Penny does not intend to play the 2015 season, GM Jim Pitman and head coach Sandy Brondello have told fans that whenever Penny wants to come back this year, next year, or beyond shell be welcomed with open arms.

Please, please stop with your conspiracy theory bullcrap.

My offer stands...

You say they don't intend to have any "intent to win games this season".

My opinion is they will make the playoffs.

Please make a bet with me for ANY amount of money.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/02/15 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In fairness to rAf, that article yesterday is the first time all offseason that Ben York's been willing to mention the words "Penny" or "Taylor" in print. It did get a little silly. But yes, they don't seem to be denying or avoiding anything any more - just not exactly shouting it from the rooftops, which is understandable.

PostPosted: 06/02/15 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
WTF...they are not denying it...they just aren't making it as big of deal as Taurasi or Griner missing time.

As you just stated, "They announced she's attending the banner raing in street clothes."

Here's another mention:

Quote:
P: Penny. A three-time WNBA champion, Penny Taylor is one of the two most important players in Mercury franchise history. Theres a reason why every time weve won a championship its Penny thats driving the ship, Diana Taurasi brilliantly stated at the 2014 Championship Rally.

Though Penny does not intend to play the 2015 season, GM Jim Pitman and head coach Sandy Brondello have told fans that whenever Penny wants to come back this year, next year, or beyond shell be welcomed with open arms.

My offer stands...

You Merc fans need to accept that most fans of other teams know what the Merc have done and are doing. The fact that they've listed it as #1 things to watch for this season should tell you something. Most people feel it is an unfair manipulation. With the banners comes the hate. Please note, we don't hate all teams that win banners, just the ones that tank with phony excuses (missing two weeks for wisdom teeth...another two weeks for a phantom shin bruise...please!). When the Merc aren't having a championship caliber season, the mysterious "sitting out of games/seasons" starts up again. Get used to it. As long as the Merc keep doing it, you're gonna hear about it.

Hey, I think Merc fans are among the funnest in the league. I didn't make such a big deal the first time they did it, but this repeat performance is ridiculous. The Mercury might limp into the playoffs by sucking less than two other teams. And who's to say those two teams won't suck on purpose since they've seen it be successful? Slippery slope.

Sorry, I seemed to miss the subtle signs that the Mercury were making it public knowledge. But, certainly you can see that the absence of a player like PFT from a squad is quite a bit huger than many other players choosing not to play for unknown reasons.

~rAf
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 06/02/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Here's another mention:

Quote:

My offer stands...

You Merc fans need to accept that most fans of other teams know what the Merc have done and are doing. The fact that they've listed it as #1 things to watch for this season should tell you something. Most people feel it is an unfair manipulation. With the banners comes the hate. Please note, we don't hate all teams that win banners, just the ones that tank with phony excuses (missing two weeks for wisdom teeth...another two weeks for a phantom shin bruise...please!). When the Merc aren't having a championship caliber season, the mysterious "sitting out of games/seasons" starts up again. Get used to it. As long as the Merc keep doing it, you're gonna hear about it.

Hey, I think Merc fans are among the funnest in the league. I didn't make such a big deal the first time they did it, but this repeat performance is ridiculous. The Mercury might limp into the playoffs by sucking less than two other teams. And who's to say those two teams won't suck on purpose since they've seen it be successful? Slippery slope.

Sorry, I seemed to miss the subtle signs that the Mercury were making it public knowledge. But, certainly you can see that the absence of a player like PFT from a squad is quite a bit huger than many other players choosing not to play for unknown reasons.

I'm with you on this! Some teams just lack integrity.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/02/15 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Quote:
A three-time WNBA champion, Penny Taylor is one of the two most important players in Mercury franchise history. Theres a reason why every time weve won a championship its Penny thats driving the ship, Diana Taurasi brilliantly stated at the 2014 Championship Rally.

The bold-faced opinion sorta flies in the face of your logic: One of 2 MOST IMPORTANT PLAYERS IN MERCURY FRANCHISE HISTORY? And she's not yet 70, or in a body cast? And she's just not playing?

That would be mega headline news in most (any?) other franchises. Angel McCoughtry just doesn't play? Maya decides to take the summer off? Head(line)s would explode.

Frankly, I don't blame Penny for taking the time off. Lots of valid reasons for that, but....at least acknowledge that the Mercury are HUGELY downplaying it, and that there IS a huge PR reason for that, justified or not.

PostPosted: 06/02/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm confused by why this is an issue. Penny Taylor is an unrestricted free agent, she didn't sign for her own reasons, but it's not a surprise she didn't sign, it's not like the Mercury are acting like she signed and saying she is going to be a big part of the team. The Mercury have no obligation to announce all the players they didn't re-sign, and quite frankly that would be a rather odd press release. Comparing her situation to say Diana Taurasi or Brittney Griner is also not a good comparison because Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner are both under contract so the Mercury can say all they wish about them, I would think it's a lot different regarding free agents that are still technically active in the league.

jlight

PostPosted: 06/02/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I'm confused by why this is an issue. Penny Taylor is an unrestricted free agent, she didn't sign for her own reasons, but it's not a surprise she didn't sign, it's not like the Mercury are acting like she signed and saying she is going to be a big part of the team. The Mercury have no obligation to announce all the players they didn't re-sign, and quite frankly that would be a rather odd press release. Comparing her situation to say Diana Taurasi or Brittney Griner is also not a good comparison because Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner are both under contract so the Mercury can say all they wish about them, I would think it's a lot different regarding free agents that are still technically active in the league.

every team would have said something about their third best player not playing for them this yr for whatever the reason is..

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/02/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

every team would have said something about their third best player not playing for them this yr for whatever the reason is..

I don't recall the Sparks saying anything about Kristi Toliver not playing the beginning of the season, who is under contract.

And what legally can a team say about a player who is not under contract and still an active player, without breaking any tampering rules or whatever rules that exist with free agents. They have not included her in their plans or acted like she was playing, and it's not like they are acting like it's a secret she hasn't signed.

jlight

PostPosted: 06/02/15 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I don't recall the Sparks saying anything about Kristi Toliver not playing the beginning of the season, who is under contract.

And what legally can a team say about a player who is not under contract and still an active player, without breaking any tampering rules or whatever rules that exist with free agents. They have not included her in their plans or acted like she was playing, and it's not like they are acting like it's a secret she hasn't signed.

am pretty sure they can say something about not resigning the player or something like that...when player is not under contract and when player is under contract they can say whatever they want because that player is under contract.. plus penny Taylor is not scrap she big time.. a hall of famer ...

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/02/15 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

am pretty sure they can say something about not resigning the player or something like that...when player is not under contract and when player is under contract they can say whatever they want because that player is under contract.. plus penny Taylor is not scrap she big time.. a hall of famer ...

I know when a player is under contract with a team, that team can say whatever they want (within reason of course). But when a player is not under contract I'm sure there are rules or at least protocol that is consider acceptable and unacceptable among media, teams, etc.

And I know Kristi Toliver is not on the same level as Penny Taylor, but she is at a minimum the 3rd best player on the Sparks and taking out Candace Parker she is 1 or 2 depending on what you think of Nneka Ogwumike, and as I mentioned the Sparks have not said anything about suspending her, or if they have I haven't seen anything, so to say "every team would have said something about their third best player not playing" is a false statement. In fact I think the Mercury have said more about Penny Taylor than the Sparks have said about Kristi Toliver.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 06/03/15 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

And they HAVE said, she isn't playing this season FOR THEM. They said it Monday at Media Day when the MEDIA ASKED. After all, she could sign with the Lynx tomorrow if she felt like it. Don't understand why it is so complicated to understand why the Mercury haven't had a press release or major statement prior to Media Day about Penny not playing. They love her. She loves them. But the reality is she is an UFA who can sign anywhere, anytime, with anyone. So the Mercury are pretty limited in what they can say about her playing FOR THEM. Rolling Eyes
ucdt3

PostPosted: 06/03/15 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
jlight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I know when a player is under contract with a team, that team can say whatever they want (within reason of course). But when a player is not under contract I'm sure there are rules or at least protocol that is consider acceptable and unacceptable among media, teams, etc.

And I know Kristi Toliver is not on the same level as Penny Taylor, but she is at a minimum the 3rd best player on the Sparks and taking out Candace Parker she is 1 or 2 depending on what you think of Nneka Ogwumike, and as I mentioned the Sparks have not said anything about suspending her, or if they have I haven't seen anything, so to say "every team would have said something about their third best player not playing" is a false statement. In fact I think the Mercury have said more about Penny Taylor than the Sparks have said about Kristi Toliver.

I'm just glad someone who isn't a Mercury fan has at least ENOUGH SENSE to MAKE SENSE even about a team she doesn't root for, simply because it is COMMON SENSE!!!! Bravo, GEF34, bravo!!!!

Just for that I will root this season for LA when LA plays Tulsa. Oh what the heck, SA too!!! Wink Laughing
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/03/15 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Here's another mention:

Quote:

My offer stands...

Tanking is not the reason why Penny Taylor isn't playing.

PostPosted: 06/03/15 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

You and Penny may know that. But, given the league fandom's overwhelming impression of tactics that led to Griner's acquisition, it's a PR headache for PHX. You can't believe that hasn't occurred to them.

PostPosted: 06/03/15 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:

I'm just glad someone who isn't a Mercury fan has at least ENOUGH SENSE to MAKE SENSE even about a team she doesn't root for, simply because it is COMMON SENSE!!!! Bravo, GEF34, bravo!!!!

Just for that I will root this season for LA when LA plays Tulsa. Oh what the heck, SA too!!! Wink Laughing

I'm a guy.

And Go Sparks!! Wink Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/03/15 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury still have Dupree Bonner and Griner for the most part of the season. I don't care that their guard line-up is shit with the talent of those 3 players they still have more talent then the Storm, Stars and maybe even Tulsa

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
caune

PostPosted: 06/03/15 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

You and Penny may know that. But, given the league fandom's overwhelming impression of tactics that led to Griner's acquisition, it's a PR headache for PHX. You can't believe that hasn't occurred to them.

I think it may have occurred to them but I really don't think they give a rats ass about what fans of other teams think. seriously, why should they?

PostPosted: 06/03/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, for God's fucking sake.

Granted, I think the Merc needed to be a bit more forthcoming about not expecting Taylor to play this season, instead of seeming to throw her down the memory hole. And I do think that they did their damnedest to get one of the Three to See.

But the horse is dead. It has risen as a zombie and been beaten back into its grave. Its skeleton has risen and been beaten into a pile of bone dust. The dust has blown around in a horse-shaped cloud and been beaten to smithereens. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE MAKE LIKE ELSA AND LET IT THE FUCK GO?

(now with spelling variations)
bballfan32

PostPosted: 06/03/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Granted, I think the Merc needed to be a bit more forthcoming about not expecting Taylor to play this season, instead of seeming to throw her down the memory hole. And I do think that they did their damnedest to get one of the Three to See.

But the horse is dead. It has risen as a zombie and been beaten back into its grave. Its skeleton has risen and been beaten into a pile of bone dust. The dust has blown around in a horse-shaped cloud and been beaten to smithereens. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE MAKE LIKE ELSA AND LET IT THE FUCK GO?

Thanks for making my day with this post Queenie. Laughing

mb1

PostPosted: 06/03/15 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan32 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Thanks for making my day with this post Queenie. Laughing

X___________x

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/03/15 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I am, at this point, very sorry I started this thread. If I'd known it (this year's tanking) would be included in an ESPN column, I never would have started this. But, just to be clear: this was always about THIS year's tanking - not the one already successfully completed.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: