RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Errors on the "improved" wnba.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kool-aide

PostPosted: 05/26/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope the W's contract w/ the company who did the work on the redesign includes clauses about getting money back when the product is so mistake riddled & includes so many terrible decisions.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/26/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have another one. The play-by-play which used to be so nicely divided into two columns - one for each team, is now clumped together onto one page.

rustedsyringe

PostPosted: 05/26/15 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/player/courtney-paris/
http://www.wnba.com/player/ashley-paris/

Y'all...

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 05/26/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rustedsyringe wrote:

Y'all...

these bio pages are horrible.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/26/15 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I spoke to a Storm rep about the whole web site debacle and he was as upset - and powerless - as we were. Apparently, this was the league's decision and the Storm website guy had some of same concerns we did. This was a decision to move to the wordpress.com web hosting and so the turner.com folks apparently either didn't have the knowledge or didn't have the professionalism to do a good job.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/26/15 8:07 pm    ::: Re: Errors on the "improved" wnba.com Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
My Center Court app is totally useless right now too FWIW, but that's not such a priority.

Center Court app has now been updated, it lets me log in, and appears to be working ok now

PostPosted: 05/26/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rustedsyringe wrote:

Y'all...

Something about a TARDIS?

PostPosted: 05/27/15 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I spoke to a Storm rep about the whole web site debacle and he was as upset - and powerless - as we were. Apparently, this was the league's decision and the Storm website guy had some of same concerns we did. This was a decision to move to the wordpress.com web hosting and so the turner.com folks apparently either didn't have the knowledge or didn't have the professionalism to do a good job.

ugh. That's terrible decision making & management from the league office.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/27/15 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got an email from a journalist who works at ESPN today. Asked me we've put together a "comprehensive list of everything that is wrong, that is missing, and doesn't work on the main site and the accompanying team sites" and wanted to know what I'd seen that she might have missed.

PostPosted: 05/27/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player Movement Central has another one of those tables that scrolls to the left forever, but oddl does have a horizontal scroll bar for it, unlike the rest of the giant tables.

The tables on this page look like crap because of wrapped text in each cell: http://www.wnba.com/history_triple-doubles-dunks-and-20-20-games/ Also, they're missing ALL of Griner's dunks.

Also, has anyone found the photo galleries? I really enjoyed looking through those and they're nowhere to be found. Although they were always inconsistent about updating them.

PostPosted: 05/27/15 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Got an email from a journalist who works at ESPN today. Asked me we've put together a "comprehensive list of everything that is wrong, that is missing, and doesn't work on the main site and the accompanying team sites" and wanted to know what I'd seen that she might have missed.

I noticed that they fixed the UTC issue - yesterday, the games rolled over at 12 AM EDT. Most of the Storm links do not work as they point to the old DNS entries. Things like signing up for the fan road trip and mini passes for the season are also still broken. Since that's the key to bringing in business and this is the time people order tickets, that's really bad.

If this person wants a list, I'm sure we can provide it in detail.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/15 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They appear to have fixed the way that the team totals at the bottom of the box scores just copied the first team's numbers for the second team as well.

The individual player pages still have no career totals at the bottom of the columns.

PostPosted: 05/27/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
If this person wants a list, I'm sure we can provide it in detail.

The emailer is planning to talk to Laurel Richie and is apparently intending to present her with a list of problems with the site.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I noticed that they fixed the UTC issue - yesterday, the games rolled over at 12 AM EDT.

A minor point, but I've always been one for details... would it not make more sense for them to use West Coast time to roll over to the next day?
Between midnight and 3am I can't imagine it is too much of an inconvenience to people in the east if the previous night's games are still the ones in focus, but it seems silly for people in the west to have to scroll back a day for a game that might still be in progress at 9pm.

PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I noticed that they fixed the UTC issue - yesterday, the games rolled over at 12 AM EDT.

A minor point, but I've always been one for details... would it not make more sense for them to use West Coast time to roll over to the next day?
Between midnight and 3am I can't imagine it is too much of an inconvenience to people in the east if the previous night's games are still the ones in focus, but it seems silly for people in the west to have to scroll back a day for a game that might still be in progress at 9pm.

As a West Coaster, I would have preferred that too.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/27/15 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

{{ G.V.TC }} sure are playing a lot of preseason games

PostPosted: 05/28/15 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated list of website issues:
1) The website rolls over to the next day at 9PM PDT. This means that I need to scroll left for any West Coast games still in progress on the scores scroll
2) On that same scores page, the score frames span the entire page so that the left scroll button covers up half of the first score. It needs to be resized so that there is a gap between score and edge.
3) Many pages - the box scores, the all-time leaders page are examples - do not resize horizontally based on one's browser dimensions. The font is too big and the rest of the information simply goes off the right side of the page.
4) Those oversized pages also do not present a horizontal scroll bar so it is impossible to view it. I have had to reduce the font size in order to fit it all onto one page.
6) Resizing the main page any smaller than full-screen on my laptop will cause all the menu items in the header to disappear. They are actually collapsed on the left hand side but that is not intuitive at all.
7) The career stats page no longer calculates totals for a player
Cool The roster page no longer lists number of years in service next to a player's name. That at-a-glance feature was useful.
9) Many links are still pointing to the old DNS which makes them useless. On the Storm page, this includes revenue-generating links like how to purchase ticket plans or register for the fan road trip. So far that seems to be the same story on the Dream and Sun sites that I checked.
10) The standings page has started the season already. It is listing the pre-season games as win-loss. Hopefully this will get cleared before June 5th.
11) Every single ticket link that I saw on the schedule page is broken and redirects back to the main team page.
12) The headers for the drop-downs also have old links attached to them so if you click on them it takes you back to the main site again.

And one other question:
1) Where would you suggest we go to check injury reports, latest transactions (updated within the hour), historical numbers for all players who no longer play for the league, and other statistics and facts that sports fans tend to want to know? None of these are available on the website.

FS02

PostPosted: 05/28/15 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The box score worked OK for me... probably because I have a ridiculously wide screen, but... the "team totals" for both teams were exactly the same that's got to be a bug.

(Edit: Or maybe just human error. I was checking out the box for the Lynx-Mystics game, now it looks like they have it fixed.)

PostPosted: 05/28/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazingly I only just realised - the player profile pages also don't indicate the teams a player was on any more. So, for example, for Alana Beard's career stats - http://www.wnba.com/player/alana-beard/ (you have the click 'stats' tab yourself, direct linking is no longer possible) - it just lists season after season with no indication of which years she was at Washington or LA. I was going to use Lindsey Harding as an example of even bigger problems due to that issue, but as she's not in the league at the moment her profile page doesn't even exist any more.

Train. Wreck.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Isn't it customary to beta test a new website design before it goes live?

Why do that? It would cost money. They can read our posts and get it for free.

Because that's how professionals do it. You build the new websites, QA the links and settings, and then point your DNS to the new location. You could even set up your load balancers to allow only certain addresses to hit the beta content until you are ready for production. This has all the hallmarks of a rush job where the content builders were not given enough time or more likely didn't have enough expertise at the web design/revamping biz.

Actually, forget beta testing, isn't it customary to alpha test a new website design before it goes live?

PostPosted: 05/28/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Amazingly I only just realised - the player profile pages also don't indicate the teams a player was on any more. So, for example, for Alana Beard's career stats - http://www.wnba.com/player/alana-beard/ (you have the click 'stats' tab yourself, direct linking is no longer possible) - it just lists season after season with no indication of which years she was at Washington or LA. I was going to use Lindsey Harding as an example of even bigger problems due to that issue, but as she's not in the league at the moment her profile page doesn't even exist any more.

Train. Wreck.

The old site is still there, and amazingly the stats are still being updated. See Alana Beard here:

http://origin.wnba.com/playerfile/alana_beard/index.html

Note that it shows her stats from yesterday's preseason game.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Train. Wreck.

The old site is still there, and amazingly the stats are still being updated. See Alana Beard here:

Ooh, great find. I can go back to using the halfway-usable site now. Thanks, pilight.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Train. Wreck.

That's great! Thank you.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like we have another one: the scoreboard ribbon does not properly render when using IE 11. It starts at the first date (5/22) instead of today and prints "{{G.V.TC}} instead of the visiting team on every line.

ccollin13

PostPosted: 05/29/15 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the actual hell. Who the hell is Williams?

This is for the 5/29 preseason game between the Mystics and Fever! Not even a Williams on either roster!

This shit is on your HOMEPAGE, wnba.com! Can you please identify your PLAYERS correctly??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: