Team USA 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/23/15 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
And if he makes the decision of not putting EDD on the Olympic team he cannot justify the decision.

Who does he need to justify it to?

He can't justify leaving Diggins off either, but he will.

Beating Uconn 3 of the last 4 times she played them, leading her team to the last Big east championship, and stopping Maya Moore from her 3rd straight championship? might have something to do with it. Twisted Evil

That sounds like Geno

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/23/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Candace Parker had only played one year of college ball when she was chosen for the 2006 team.

True, she was, like Stewart, a college sophmore. Parker and Michelle Snow were late additions after Lisa Leslie and Yolanda Griffith withdrew, leaving the US shorthanded in terms of size.

And Parker actually contibuted, ending up as the team's third leading scorer and setting the US record for blocked shots. And of course, Pat Summitt wasn't the US coach.

Right, but if she was, it suddenly would have become a terrible decision to have her on the team, and one purely based on bias Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/23/15 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
And if he makes the decision of not putting EDD on the Olympic team he cannot justify the decision.

Who does he need to justify it to?

He can't justify leaving Diggins off either, but he will.

Beating Uconn 3 of the last 4 times she played them, leading her team to the last Big east championship, and stopping Maya Moore from her 3rd straight championship? might have something to do with it. Twisted Evil

That sounds like Geno

I can justify leaving Diggins off. Sims is the better talent. I don't care what numbers they get in the WNBA and I'm sure Geno doesn't either. He can see who is better. I think Geno is a first class jerk too, but Geno can evaluate talent and made the right decision last WC's imo. If either one of those were UConn players then you might have a favoritism case, but I don't think there was one there.

PostPosted: 12/23/15 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

I can justify leaving Diggins off. Sims is the better talent. I don't care what numbers they get in the WNBA.

Why hold back? Why not just say Prahalis should be picked for the Olympic team? That would seem to make as much sense as this.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 12/24/15 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 12 Players I see going to Rio

Sue Bird
Lindsey Whalen
Diana Taursi
Maya Moore Seimone
Tamika Catching
Parker BG TC
EDD Fowles
Nneka or BStewart or Dupree for the final spot.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/24/15 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

Sue Bird
Lindsey Whalen
Diana Taursi
Maya Moore Seimone
Tamika Catching
Parker BG TC
EDD Fowles

I have not felt this way in the past but professional players have gotten very deep in talent the last four years. In my opinion all 12 players should be from the professional ranks.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/24/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

Sue Bird
Lindsey Whalen
Diana Taursi
Maya Moore Seimone
Tamika Catching
Parker BG TC
EDD Fowles

This seems kinda randomly thrown together. Can you put into depth chart form?

Geno bends over backwards for BG. She'll be his #1 overall. She'll be a starter.
Dupree is an easy cut for me.
One thing about EDD. She'll have to keep her nose clean with zero signs of being wishy washy. Geno probably still remembers how she bailed on his UConn team. It still might fester with him.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/24/15 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mone is also borderline and has to be 100% healthy or she will get edged out, maybe by Sims or Diggins to give them another ball handler. IMO Angel should be going instead of Catch, but it won't happen.

And that "if they are all healthy" is a BIG IF! Lots of old ladies potentially on this team.

so IF

no way is EDD left off this team no matter what Geno remembers or doesn't remember. And if any of those bigs aren't able to go for any reason, then both Stewie and Nneka are on the team, as they should be.

- Amanda Gorman
jlight

PostPosted: 12/24/15 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do they name the team before the W season starts?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/24/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aja Wilson Named 2015 USA Basketball Female Athlete Of The Year

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/12/2015-female-athlete-of-the-year.aspx

Quote:
In recognition of her spectacular, MVP performance at the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship in Russia this past summer, Aja Wilson (South Carolina/Hopkins, S.C.) today was named the 2015 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year.

Gotta make room for her!

pilight

PostPosted: 12/24/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
do they name the team before the W season starts?

In 2012 the team was finalized in April for games in late July/early August

In 2008 they named the final players in early July for games in mid August

In 2004 they completed the roster in late July for games in mid August

PostPosted: 01/10/16 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

Sue Bird
Lindsey Whalen
Diana Taursi
Maya Moore Seimone
Tamika Catching
Parker BG TC
EDD Fowles

I have not felt this way in the past but professional players have gotten very deep in talent the last four years. In my opinion all 12 players should be from the professional ranks.

Breanna Stewart will be a professional player before the Olympics starts unless she declines to play in the WNBA. As the other players you have mentioned are currently pros, I assume you are talking about her.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/16 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd stick this here for reference.
It's the teams that qualified for the 2016 Olympics and how.

1. USA 10-2014 2014 FIBA World Championship
2. Serbia 6-2015 2015 EuroBasket Women
3. Brazil 8-2015 Host nation
4. Canada 8-2015 2015 FIBA America's Championship
5. Australia 8-2015 2015 FIBA Oceania Championship
6. Japan 9-2015 2015 FIBA Asia Championship
7. Senegal 10-2015 2015 AfroBasket Women

The remaining 5 teams will be determined in a 12-team tournament being
held June 13-19, 2016, in France. The 12 teams in tournament are:
1. France
2. Spain
3. Belarus
4. Turkey
5. Cuba
6. Argentina
7. Venezuela
8. Cameroon
9. Nigeria
10. China
11. South Korea
12. New Zealand

Tournament format: The 12 teams will be divided into four groups (Groups AD) for the preliminary round. The top two teams from each group will qualify for the knockout round. All four quarterfinal winners will advance to the Olympics, the four quarterfinal losers will play two rounds to allocate the final slot.

Last edited by Shades on 01/20/16 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/20/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Shades -- great info.

So is there any team on that list that has more than an outside chance beat the Americans?

PostPosted: 01/20/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

There remaining 5 trams will be determined in a 12-team tournament being
1. France
2. Spain
3. Belarus
4. Turkey

5. Cuba
6. Argentina
7. Venezuela
8. Cameroon
9. Nigeria
10. China
11. South Korea
12. New Zealand

Tournament format: The 12 teams will be divided into four groups (Groups AD) for the preliminary round. The top two teams from each group will qualify for the knockout round. All four quarterfinal winners will advance to the Olympics, the four quarterfinal losers will play two rounds to allocate the final slot.

based on these 12 teams, it seems pretty likely that all four Euro teams qualify with that last spot being between China & New Zealand.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty amazing that Russia isn't there.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/16 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twenty-Five Athletes Named As Finalists For 2016 U.S. Olympic Team

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/01/25-us-womens-olympic-team-finalists-announced.aspx

Quote:
Further, the USA Basketball Womens National Team will conduct a training camp Feb. 21-23 at the University of Connecticut. Athletes taking part in the minicamp, which is expected to be the final training before the 2016 U.S. Olympic Womens Basketball Team is selected, will be announced at a later date and will come from the pool of finalists.

Quote:
I think the committee has a tough decision ahead of it, said USA and Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma, who has directed the USA National Team to an overall 23-0 record and gold medals at the 2012 Olympic Games and the 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championships. When I look at this list of athletes, we could split them down the middle and have two very competitive teams. We have a great mix of gold medalists and players who are hungry to play in their first Olympics. There is versatility at all positions. Our posts are the strongest weve seen in years, we have guys who can shoot, guys who can defend, and Im just happy I dont have to make the decision as to who will be playing in Rio.

Laughing It was just a coincidence that the players who got zero minutes in the the last exhibition game for the World's were all cut.

Quote:
Additionally, Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm), who took part in the USA National Teams minicamp in Las Vegas this past May, was added to the USA National Team pool and is among the 25 finalists. The No. 1 pick in the 2015 WNBA Draft and the 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year, Loyd is a two-time world champion with USA Basketball. She helped the 2010 USA U17 World Championship Team collect gold with an 8-0 record, and she returned as a member of the 2014 USA 3x3 World Championship Team that swept its competition for a 9-0 record and gold medal at the 2014 FIBA 3x3 World Championship.

I think her addition is because of some of the success she had during the summer playing in Seattle, said Auriemma on Loyds selection to the USA National Team pool and list of U.S. Olympic Team finalists. There is a concerted effort to get as many guards into this training camp as possible because we cant just think about now, we also have to think about the future. She is one of the best young players in the league and deserves to be there.

Quote:
The final, 12-player 2016 U.S. Olympic Womens Basketball Team will be selected by the USA Basketball Womens National Team Player Selection Committee. Chaired by Callan, the committee includes: WNBA appointees Rene Brown, WNBA chief of basketball operations and player relations; Dan Hughes, head coach and general manager of the San Antonio Stars; and Chris Sienko, vice president and general manager of the Connecticut Sun; and three-time Olympic and two-time FIBA World Championship gold medalist Katie Smith, who played in nearly 200 games for USA Basketball from 1993-2008 and serves as the athlete representative.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/16 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing as this might be the last rodeo for some of the senior players, I could see them named as ceremonial starters, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be racking up the most minutes.

Bird/Whalen
Taurasi/Augustus
Catchings/Moore/Dell Donne
Parker/Charles/NOgwumike
Fowles/Griner

Do you bump Ogwumike for Stewart?
Do you bump Whalen or Augustus for Diggins or Sims?
Could there really be no McCoughtry? Better hide anything sharp.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Familiar faces dot U.S. women's basketball finalists

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/14644733/usa-basketball-releases-25-finalists-women-basketball-olympic-team

Quote:
A training camp will be held Feb. 21-23 in Storrs, Connecticut. A list of which athletes will participate will be released later, but it will come from the pool of 25. It is expected to be the final camp before the Olympic team is selected.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/26/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/14644733/usa-basketball-releases-25-finalists-women-basketball-olympic-team

Quote:
A training camp will be held Feb. 21-23 in Storrs, Connecticut. A list of which athletes will participate will be released later, but it will come from the pool of 25. It is expected to be the final camp before the Olympic team is selected.

I'm guessing, then, that overseas teams will allow the top Americans to come back for that training camp. Still, flying 15 hours might not be the best preparation ...

PostPosted: 01/26/16 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

I'm guessing, then, that overseas teams will allow the top Americans to come back for that training camp. Still, flying 15 hours might not be the best preparation ...

I suppose if you've never made the team before, you improve your chances by showing up.

I wonder if Diggins will be prepared to show up? Seems a bit early for her to do anything heavy.

And DRob.... if she really has an Achilles issue, why did they bother naming her a finalist?

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I thought I'd stick this here for reference.
It's the teams that qualified for the 2016 Olympics and how.

1. USA 10-2014 2014 FIBA World Championship
2. Serbia 6-2015 2015 EuroBasket Women
3. Brazil 8-2015 Host nation
4. Canada 8-2015 2015 FIBA America's Championship
5. Australia 8-2015 2015 FIBA Oceania Championship
6. Japan 9-2015 2015 FIBA Asia Championship
7. Senegal 10-2015 2015 AfroBasket Women

The remaining 5 teams will be determined in a 12-team tournament being
1. France
2. Spain
3. Belarus
4. Turkey
5. Cuba
6. Argentina
7. Venezuela
8. Cameroon
9. Nigeria
10. China
11. South Korea
12. New Zealand

I wrote this article on the draw for the tournament made on Tuesday:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2016/01/olympic-qualifying-draw/

Shades

PostPosted: 01/30/16 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/31/16 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

to me the easiest cuts are (for varying reasons)
January (not as 'good' as the others)
Dolson (not as 'good' as the others)
Loyd (needs more development)
McBride (needs more development)
Chiney (coming back from injury)
DRob (still injured?)

My next cuts would be:
Diggins (coming back from injury)
Sloot
JLav
Dupree

Now it gets harder.
Personally I think Catchings and Whalen should both be replaced by younger ones, but they won't be unless they're too hobbled to play.

But my team would be:
Bird or Whalen but not both, Sims (but she could be outplayed in camp by one of the other 'young' guards), [Taurasi as third PG backup]
Taurasi, Seimone (or possible Diggins if she is fully recovered)
Maya, Angel
EDD, Parker, Nneka
Fowles, Griner, Charles

Realistically what I expect it will be if they are all healthy:
Bird, Whalen
Taurasi, Seimone (one young guard hopefully)
Maya, Catchings, (Angel gets cut)
EDD, Parker, Charles or Stewie (Nneka gets cut)
Fowles, Griner

With all these old ladies (tongue in cheek) I would be surprised if they are in fact all healthy, but obviously there are plenty of quality backups to fill in.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/31/16 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im i the only one that thinks that Augustus place is not that sure either.. We are talking about the older players (Bird Catchings Whalen etc.) that are dealing with injuries and maybe some new guards that deserve to come in for them. But noone really mentioned Augustus.
But if you look at Seimone and her dealing with injuries and her stats last season wich were a career low (13 % from 3P yikes) then i wouldnt mind a young guard coming in for her if she is dealing with injuries again this season. You dont have to have Sims or Diggins on the PG position. You can have them back up Taurasi at the 2 position. They both have the scoring mentality for it.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 21 of 50

Jump to: