Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 10/11/15 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I find interesting all the discussion of workarounds, of playing others out of position, etc., all to cover for old players who shouldn't be there when the obvious answer is that there are better younger players who should be but won't be selected which would make all the silly adjustments unnecessary.[/u]

Why shouldn't they be there? You act like this is supposed to be some sort of all-star team that should only take the best of the best no matter who they are and should cast off players if their skill has diminished even a little bit. Players who have committed their time to it over the years?

I disagree. As with all teams, keeping continuity is often better than just finding marginal upgrades. I mean, we are still talking about the elite of the elite. Just because there is a player who might be a tad better doesn't mean they should automatically be on the team.

If injuries prevent one of the vets from returning or playing at a high level, by all means replace them. But otherwise keep the team and add a few younger players to bridge to the next games. That cycle has worked so far, why change it up?

this is the thing that irks me. they say let the vets have another chance and be on the team because they've earned it but they took peoples spots in the 2004, and 2008 olympics because they were simply better. It is not fair to me that lindsey, sue, seimone have been able to be on the team when they were the absolute best (2004, 2008) AND when they aren't the best but are still playing and "deserve it". players like danielle robinson, skylar and nneka may not get a shot until they in the latter of their career and idk just doesn't seem fair if they are the best talent available.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/15 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I find interesting all the discussion of workarounds, of playing others out of position, etc., all to cover for old players who shouldn't be there when the obvious answer is that there are better younger players who should be but won't be selected which would make all the silly adjustments unnecessary.[/u]

Why shouldn't they be there? You act like this is supposed to be some sort of all-star team that should only take the best of the best no matter who they are and should cast off players if their skill has diminished even a little bit. Players who have committed their time to it over the years?

I disagree. As with all teams, keeping continuity is often better than just finding marginal upgrades. I mean, we are still talking about the elite of the elite. Just because there is a player who might be a tad better doesn't mean they should automatically be on the team.

If injuries prevent one of the vets from returning or playing at a high level, by all means replace them. But otherwise keep the team and add a few younger players to bridge to the next games. That cycle has worked so far, why change it up?

this is the thing that irks me. they say let the vets have another chance and be on the team because they've earned it but they took peoples spots in the 2004, and 2008 olympics because they were simply better. It is not fair to me that lindsey, sue, seimone have been able to be on the team when they were the absolute best (2004, 2008) AND when they aren't the best but are still playing and "deserve it". players like danielle robinson, skylar and nneka may not get a shot until they in the latter of their career and idk just doesn't seem fair if they are the best talent available.

The other problem with this statement is that if all the 'deserving' vets make the team, it leaves VERY few spots for those younger players to bridge. So if we have all these older players on the team and half of them retire before the next olympics, it leaves a pretty big hole next time around. JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/11/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The other problem with this statement is that if all the 'deserving' vets make the team, it leaves VERY few spots for those younger players to bridge. So if we have all these older players on the team and half of them retire before the next olympics, it leaves a pretty big hole next time around. JMO.

I like this plan. Then maybe France, Australia and Spain can sweep the podium. Twisted Evil

linkster

PostPosted: 10/11/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

There will be 4 years after the next Olympics to rotate new players into the team. That's five years from now. Plenty of time to fill any holes that develop till then.

As someone pointed out the best players don't necessarily mean the best team. It isn't a question of putting someone on the team due to prior service. I'll take 2 guards each with 8 or more years experience playing on the national team over 2 young guards who have next to no experience. Having a deep knowledge of the players who will be your opponents has a great deal of value. Of course for those who think that individual skills are the be all and end all of basketball would disagree but as someone who values team play I'd rather see players who know each other and can anticipate what their teammates are going to do over those who simply can run down the court a bit faster.

The team won't be picked till next spring. That will be a much better time to decide who will help the team the most and who is over the hill. And even then there will still be 2 1/2 years to bring in youth for the 2018 world's.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 10/11/15 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
It is not fair to me that lindsey, sue, seimone have been able to be on the team when they were the absolute best (2004, 2008) AND when they aren't the best but are still playing and "deserve it".

Just to clarify, Whalen's only Olympic appearance to date was in 2012. Augustus' first was in 2008, and she had to earn her way back for London after being left off the 2010 World Championship team...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/12/15 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:
It is not fair to me that lindsey, sue, seimone have been able to be on the team when they were the absolute best (2004, 2008) AND when they aren't the best but are still playing and "deserve it".

Just to clarify, Whalen's only Olympic appearance to date was in 2012. Augustus' first was in 2008, and she had to earn her way back for London after being left off the 2010 World Championship team...

Stop ruining perfectly good arguments with pesky facts.

PostPosted: 10/12/15 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:

And we never backed down when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

Randy

PostPosted: 10/12/15 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you don't argue against the facts, the facts win.....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/12/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have to think there is a decent chance that health keeps at least some of the veterans out of the Rio. The likes of Whalen, Augustus, Catchings, and Bird haven't been consistently healthy. I will throw in Taurasi as well, since her age is right in that mix.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/15 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:

And we never backed down when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

thank you for my morning laugh. one always needs that!

- Amanda Gorman
jlight

PostPosted: 10/12/15 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is there also a half season to play in W before the Oly games. a lot of shit can happen by then. hopefully it doesn't happen but you never know.

jlight

PostPosted: 10/12/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my prediction for rio.

Diana Taurasi/Danielle Robinson/
Maya Moore/Seimone Augustus /Skylar Diggins
Elena Delle Donne/ Breanna Stewart
Candace Parker/Nneka Ogwumike
Brittney Griner//Tina Charles/Sylvia fowles

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/12/15 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with one of the old slow guards and one of the old slow wings but logic would suggest that taking all of them is neither good short term or long term strategy.

First, it would seem that some youth and quickness would make for a better team in 2016. Second, getting some young blood some experience would seem to make sense too.

PostPosted: 10/12/15 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
my prediction for rio.

There is no way Geno doesn't have Bird on the squad

PostPosted: 10/13/15 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
jlight wrote:
my prediction for rio.

There's no way USA Basketball doesn't have Bird OR Catchings if they are healthy.

jlight

PostPosted: 10/13/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
jlight wrote:
my prediction for rio.

There's no way USA Basketball doesn't have Bird OR Catchings if they are healthy.

am assuming some of those won't be healthy.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 11/02/15 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN thinks Stewart will be on the 2016 team.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14015815/connecticut-huskies-again-favorite-set-fourth-consecutive-championship

Quote:
As a freshman, Kia Nurse averaged 10.2 points with 108 assists, and she's back from a summer helping Team Canada secure a spot in the 2016 Olympics. Auriemma will be coaching the United States team again in that event, with a large cast of UConn alums, almost certainly including Stewart, playing for him.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/02/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14015815/connecticut-huskies-again-favorite-set-fourth-consecutive-championship

Quote:
As a freshman, Kia Nurse averaged 10.2 points with 108 assists, and she's back from a summer helping Team Canada secure a spot in the 2016 Olympics. Auriemma will be coaching the United States team again in that event, with a large cast of UConn alums, almost certainly including Stewart, playing for him.

Stewart was on the 2014 team and Geno is still in charge, so it'd be a bigger surprise if she isn't on the team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/02/15 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:

Stewart was on the 2014 team and Geno is still in charge, so it'd be a bigger surprise if she isn't on the team.

I will not be surprised if Stewart is on the team, but IMO that would mean she would take one of these players spots

Moore, McCoughtry, EDD, Catchings, Parker, Griner, Charles, or Fowles

Looking at that list I guess McCoughtry and Fowles should be nervous, but IMO considering both played in the 2012 Olympics and both are still playing at a very high I don't think Stewart is a done deal. That would be a hard call, they are all great players and have some form of team USA loyalty on their side. Maybe an injury will solve that problem but this one is tough if everyone is available.

justintyme

PostPosted: 11/03/15 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

I will not be surprised if Stewart is on the team, but IMO that would mean she would take one of these players spots

Moore, McCoughtry, EDD, Catchings, Parker, Griner, Charles, or Fowles

Looking at that list I guess McCoughtry and Fowles should be nervous, but IMO considering both played in the 2012 Olympics and both are still playing at a very high I don't think Stewart is a done deal. That would be a hard call, they are all great players and have some form of team USA loyalty on their side. Maybe an injury will solve that problem but this one is tough if everyone is available.

I would guess injuries will determine a lot of this.

Before the finals I would have agreed that Fowles was one of the likely candidates for being left off the team, however after winning the Finals MVP, I am not so sure. In fact, Lisa Leslie talked about that very thing on the postgame broadcast. She said that she felt Fowles pretty much punched her ticket by doing that.

PostPosted: 11/03/15 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:

Don't forget to leave room for Dolson and Jefferson. Cool

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird looks ahead to likely last Olympics

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/12/18/sue-bird-olympics-rio-2016-basketball-retire/

Quote:
Sue Bird knows the time has come after three Olympic gold medals, two WNBA titles and at least eight surgeries.

Im at the end of my career, the 35-year-old point guard said last month. This is more than likely going to be my last Olympics. When you get older, you start looking back on your career more and you want to leave some sort of legacy and to be a fourth time Olympic gold medalist wouldnt be so bad.

Quote:
Bird started every game at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, after a lesser role behind veterans Dawn Staley and Shannon Johnson at Athens 2004.

Bird didnt seem too concerned about the competition to crack next years 12-woman roster, saying she thought it was tougher to make the 2004 team two years out of college.

Its tricky, Bird said. Myself and [London Olympian] Lindsay Whalen are two of the point guards. And now its kind of like, all right, whos next. And while there is some depth there, people that are successful in the WNBA right now at that position, none have USA Basketball experience.

Quote:
Skylar Diggins, 25 and a two-time WNBA All-Star, was one of the final cuts for the 2014 World Cup team. Courtney Vandersloot and Danielle Robinson, both 26, joined Bird on the roster for an October European tour.

Itll be interesting to see how it plays out, Bird said. Theres Courtney Vandersloot, Danielle Robinson, and then you have two players in Skylar Diggins and Odyssey Sims who arent traditional point guards but can play the spot, so thats like a route they could go. Right now I could probably sit you down and talk about all the other positions, and you could probably name like two or three players at each that you know, oh yeah, theyll probably be on the national team. But the point guard spot is a little different.

Quote:
Rio could be a fitting end for Bird given it may also be the U.S. finale for coach Geno Auriemma, who also guided Bird at Connecticut.

It was Auriemma who came back from being an assistant coach at Sydney 2000 and told Bird, then a UConn junior, if you play your cards right, you could be on the 2004 Olympic team.

UConn teammate Taurasi, who is two years younger than Bird and a sushi lover, isnt ruling out Tokyo 2020. She might want to bring Bird with her.

I can see if I can change her mind again, Taurasi said.

Chip

PostPosted: 12/18/15 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way she gets left of this squad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 19 of 50

Jump to: