RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ashley Battle and other future pros.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/03/05 10:11 pm    ::: Ashley Battle and other future pros. Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm convinced (Partially because I'm biased, partially because I really do think this.) That Ashley Battle is going to make a very good pro. I've watched her play at Uconn for four years (actually play) and she has great moments. She's fast, great on defense, and her offense has improved A LOT. There are times on this Uconn team, where Battle looks like she is clearly the best player on the team. (With Charde, Turner, Strother, and even Moore, that probably shouldn't happen.) Anyway, so these teams, I feel wouldbe the best fit for Ashley.

Storm- the storm could use a lot of speed, and great defense. I feel like this might be the best fit for Battle.

Mystics- I guess this is just me being selfish, but I'd love to see Battle and Beard play together. The Mystics need a new guard. And with Battle and Beard on the same team, it'd be interessting to see how many points opposing team's guards get........

Connecticut- Once again, the sun could use some speed. And they could use a better defensive stopper.

Mercury-...okay okay, so it probably wouldn't be a good fit. The Merc has enough 2 guards. But this is selfish again, one of my all time favorite College players, on my favorite WNBA team.

So I guess, who else do you think will make a good pro, but isn't an obvious draft pick? And I guess I'd like to hear some other people's opinion on Battle in the pros..

pilight

PostPosted: 02/03/05 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm selling Battle as a serious prospect. That she sometimes looks like the best player on UConn this year goes a long way towards explaining why this is the worst Huskie team in more than a decade.

PostPosted: 02/03/05 10:50 pm    ::: Re: Ashley Battle and other future pros. Reply Reply with quote

I think she'll be another of those "athletic but with limited skills" types that seem to be on the end of most WNBA benches.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/05 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Battle is Stacey Thomas...great defender, awkward and inconsistent shooting. I'm with Pilight...sell.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/03/05 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When UConn was @ ASU, Ashley had more hustle than the whole rest of the team. She almost had a triple double - if you count turnovers!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/04/05 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least you aren't promoting Jessica Moore as a first-round draft pick. Ashley could be useful somewhere...I'm not sure though.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 02/04/05 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
When UConn was @ ASU, Ashley had more hustle than the whole rest of the team. She almost had a triple double - if you count turnovers!

When UConn was at ASU none of the Huskies looked remotely like a draft prospect for the W.

wadethered

PostPosted: 02/04/05 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is interesting because I'm wondering what you guys thought about ASU's Emily Westerberg, who had 18 points against UConn. Do any of you remember anything about her? She's from my state, so I've been following her closely, but she's only a sophomore.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/04/05 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen Emily (and Aubree Johnson) play many times in person. Emily is a very solid, fundamentally sound player who does everything well...but does nothing outstanding for purposes of a WNBA career.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/04/05 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering that only a few second rounders even make a lineup in a good year...and this year is pretty weak...and Ashley Battle may not be picked in even the second round...that pretty much sums up Battle's chances in the WNBA. Yes, she can defend college players. But she can barely score against college players. She's not even on anybody's fourth team honorable mention All*American teams.

Next.

~rAf

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/04/05 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Considering that only a few second rounders even make a lineup in a good year...and this year is pretty weak...and Ashley Battle may not be picked in even the second round...that pretty much sums up Battle's chances in the WNBA. Yes, she can defend college players. But she can barely score against college players. She's not even on anybody's fourth team honorable mention All*American teams.

Next.

~rAf

That's not exactly true. She doesn't have a tough time scoring, she just is very spazzy. She's certainly capable of scoring in the high teens at any given night, just don't expect it on back to back nights. I think that Battle, is honestly better than quite a few pros, some starters..If Debbie Black can make a WNBA roster, and Maria Conlon can come close and Becky Hammon can start on a WNBA team than Ashley Battle should be able to make a WNBA roster.

Keegan

PostPosted: 02/04/05 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
She doesn't have a tough time scoring, she just is very spazzy. She's certainly capable of scoring in the high teens at any given night, just don't expect it on back to back nights. I think that Battle, is honestly better than quite a few pros, some starters..If Debbie Black can make a WNBA roster, and Maria Conlon can come close and Becky Hammon can start on a WNBA team than Ashley Battle should be able to make a WNBA roster.

If she's 'very spazzy' in college, it doesn't bode well for her in the higher quality WNBA.

Debbie Black has had an impressive pro career. You're only seeing her in the twilight and her pro experience is invaluable. Becky Hammon has a shooting touch few can match. Maria Conlon wasn't ever close to a WNBA roster. It's very possible Ashley Battle could make a WNBA roster because of rookie pay scales but whether she actually makes an impact is another story.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/05 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at it this way, Debbie Black and Becky Hammon were much better players in college than Ashley Battle is. Hammon was an All-American!

PostPosted: 02/05/05 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Read "spazzy" to mean out of control. Personally, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone took her on as an end of the bench player with the hopes of harnassing some of the energy.

fang

PostPosted: 02/06/05 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even by WNBA standards Battle is incredibly athletic, and can guard just about anyone. On the offensive side of things she has managed to use her athleticism to take really wild shots, rather than use it to get easy shots. When she plays under control she can score consistently. She just doesn't play under control very often.

If the standard she is to be defined by is to score consistently in the teens, well, there wouldn't be many players in the league if that standard were universally applied. I'll bet she can score at least as consistently as Iciss Tillis, for example - who was drafted in a much deeper year, and Battle will play defense far better than Iciss ever will.

I believe both she and Jessica Moore would be solid bench players. The CBA certainly would encourage teams to go for new blood on the bench, due to the savings; and as the number of FA players increases, the economics would only get more skewed.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/05 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fang wrote:
If the standard she is to be defined by is to score consistently in the teens, well, there wouldn't be many players in the league if that standard were universally applied. I'll bet she can score at least as consistently as Iciss Tillis, for example - who was drafted in a much deeper year, and Battle will play defense far better than Iciss ever will.

Tillis scored in the teens through most of her college career. If Battle were 6'5, like Tillis, it would greatly enhance her chances.

PostPosted: 02/07/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was suggesting that Tillis went higher in the draft than Battle will probably go, and Battle will probably be at least as good a scorer in the pros as Tillis.

The whole thread is about pro prospects, not what people did in college. Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/07/05 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I was suggesting that Tillis went higher in the draft than Battle will probably go, and Battle will probably be at least as good a scorer in the pros as Tillis.

Tillis has much more versatility as a scorer than Battle and has a wider array of shots.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/07/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Tillis has much more versatility as a scorer than Battle and has a wider array of shots.

and Battle has more of a defensive presence and speed. 6'5 still tends to win out over 6'0 in most cases.

I think a spot is out there for AB, but I would take Iciss first. And I really don't care for her game at all!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/07/05 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Battle also plays well in big games. Her best games are against top programs and when her team needs her. This, to me shows she's fully capapble of playing against WNBA players. ...Yes Tillis is 6'5, and I like Iciss, but Battle's energy, defense, and speed might bring more to a team than a tall player. I think that she'd be a great spark off the bench for a lot of teams. And IMO, if she can play good defense on Beard, and than she can play great defense on just about any other guard in the league...

IMO, she will get drafted. How high will depend on how far Uconn goes in the tournament, and how well she plays in the tournament.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/07/05 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Battle also plays well in big games. Her best games are against top programs and when her team needs her. And IMO, if she can play good defense on Beard, and than she can play great defense on just about any other guard in the league.

Yeah, Beard only scored 21 against UConn last year!

As for big games, in three national championship games she's gone for...

3 points on 1/4 shooting in 15 minutes
0 points on 0/4 shooting in 12 minutes
2 points on 1/1 shooting in 4 minutes

PostPosted: 02/07/05 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And IMO, if she can play good defense on Beard, and than she can play great defense on just about any other guard in the league...

In two games against UConn, Beard scored 26 and 21 points.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/08/05 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Battle played only limited time on Beard. If you recall the collapse at the HCC, when Alana turned it on was carrying the team back in the second half, when UConn was trying to run things out (unsuccessfully) against that press. AB was not on the floor.

Y'all know not to compare apples and oranges. AB is a quality defensive, high energy player. Her offense is inconsistent at best, and she is not tall. She will either be a late choice or a free agent invite, and if someone feels they can corral that energy, she'll make a team.

Let's not make this into the great debate of 2005, it's really pretty simple IMO.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/08/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree dts, last year in Hartford Battle didn't even start, so how is her defense relevant to Beard's point total? I'm pretty sure she did start at Cameron, though. Bad comparison, IMO.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/08/05 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree dts, last year in Hartford Battle didn't even start, so how is her defense relevant to Beard's point total?

Because mercfan made it an issue... by posting this:

Quote:
Battle also plays well in big games. Her best games are against top programs and when her team needs her. And IMO, if she can play good defense on Beard, and than she can play great defense on just about any other guard in the league.

The comments were in response to mercfan's comments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: