RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where Do You Rank Candace Parker Among The All-Time Greats?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Candace Ranks Within The...
Top 5
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Top 10
27%
 27%  [ 25 ]
Top 20
47%
 47%  [ 44 ]
Top 40
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 92

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/23/15 10:00 am    ::: Where Do You Rank Candace Parker Among The All-Time Greats? Reply Reply with quote

2x Olympic Gold Medalist
2x WNBA MVP
2x NCAA Champion
All-Star MVP
WNBA Rookie of the Year
2x Wooden Award Winner
Female Athlete of the Year (2008)
5x All-WNBA (4x First Team)
2x Rebounding Champion

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9T-94yOC9w0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-94yOC9w0

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/23/15 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's not get too specific or anything with the polling answers. I need a nice range to feel comfortable. Feeling a bit constrained with the possible choices. Maybe open it up a little. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/23/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You mean among WNBA players? Top 20, borderline top 10. Among every woman who has ever played the game? Top 40, maybe sneaking in to the bottom of the top 20.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is she the first women's basketball player whose legacy could be negatively affected by 'never having won it all', a la Barkley, Malone etc.? Is that a sign of the WNBA's progress or development as part of the established landscape?

PostPosted: 04/23/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is she the first women's basketball player whose legacy could be negatively affected by 'never having won it all', a la Barkley, Malone etc.? Is that a sign of the WNBA's progress or development as part of the established landscape?

Chamique Holdsclaw might be able to claim first on that. Of course her legacy has so many outside influences that not winning a WNBA championship winds up a secondary issue.

Margo Dydek gets some of it as well.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anyone has Parker outside the top 10 I'd like to see 9 players that are better then her. The only thing she's missing is a WNBA title and I'm sure she'll get one, probably not with the Sparks tho.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/23/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hype of Parker coming into Tennessee and the hype of Parker coming into the WNBA seemed to have been unparalleled.

Winning the MVP and Rookie of the Year as a Rookie was absolutely incredible.

I think she needs to win a title or two to really solidify herself amongst the greats but I think she is right there, easily top 10 in my book, in fact perhaps even top 5.

The college and WNBA dunks, the 6'5 versatility, the MVP as a Rookie, her success at Tennessee, McDonald's AA Dunk, USA Basketball Golds - easily top 10

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
If anyone has Parker outside the top 10 I'd like to see 9 players that are better then her. The only thing she's missing is a WNBA title and I'm sure she'll get one, probably not with the Sparks tho.

I got to nine with barely any effort at all. Alphabetically:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

Parker might get the 10th spot, but it could just as easily go to Sue Bird or Maya Moore or Becky Hammon or even Swin Cash, depending on what you consider important.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

Parker might get the 10th spot, but it could just as easily go to Sue Bird or Maya Moore or Becky Hammon or even Swin Cash, depending on what you consider important.

lol

PostPosted: 04/23/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

I'd take Parker over both Griffith, Catchings, and Smith I think she stacks up well vs all 3, only thing she's missing is a WNBA title.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/15 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

I'd take Parker over both Griffith, Catchings, and Smith I think she stacks up well vs all 3, only thing she's missing is a WNBA title.

She's missing a lot of intensity and leadership compared to those three, and really everyone I have listed. Parker has talent aplenty, but she doesn't get the most out of it and she certainly doesn't use it to make her team or teammates better. No way I would pass up the Tamikaze in favor of Lazy Ace.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's at least fair to say that she ranks notably higher in the Top X Most Gifted Female Basketball Players than she does in the Top X Greatest list.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 10 greatest players that never won a championship.She is one of the top 3 individual talents of all-time.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 04/23/15 3:00 pm    ::: Outside Top Ten Reply Reply with quote

The truth is that she has never blown me away as an opponent. What I mean is: There are players you kind hate to see come in to your team's house because they can take over a game and rip it away even when your team is playing well. Parker is really talented, but I have never been worried about her taking over a game like, say, LLL or Taurasi might. I've never felt like a good team just could not stop her. Not like Katie Smith going on a tear. Not like Sue Bird used to do.

I can't explain it very well. It's just this higher level of balling...the one Jordan, Magic, and Bird could put on display in the NBA. That ability to make the other team look like rookies because nothing they do can stop GREATNESS.

I just don't feel Parker is in that elite class that can bring the unstoppable.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 4:56 pm    ::: Re: Outside Top Ten Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
I just don't feel Parker is in that elite class that can bring the unstoppable.

Because most of the time she's the one getting in her own way.
ucdt3

PostPosted: 04/23/15 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 5 - BAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA (yeah right, homer votes).
Top 10 - No way, not until she LEADS a WNBA to a WNBA title.
Top 20 - I voted for that just based on her pure talent and NCAA/USA accomplishments. But I could find 20 (ALL-TIME) better.
Top 40(50) - Definitely.
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/23/15 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griffith, Catchings, and Smith

If the WNBA had a historical All-Defensive First Team, those three would be on it...

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/23/15 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of hard to compare a player whose career is part-way through to players whose careers are finished.

Personally I also think she takes some unfair criticism. Put Taurasi with some of the Phoenix teams of the last several years, and multiply that over her entire career. If she's never a champion perhaps her greatness is diminished. On the other hand, put her with Cappie early in her career and Griner last year, and she's won championships. Parker's situation has some similarities. Some of these LA teams have been good but you need more than one superstar to win a title usually.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
It's kind of hard to compare a player whose career is part-way through to players whose careers are finished.

Personally I also think she takes some unfair criticism. Put Taurasi with some of the Phoenix teams of the last several years, and multiply that over her entire career. If she's never a champion perhaps her greatness is diminished. On the other hand, put her with Cappie early in her career and Griner last year, and she's won championships. Parker's situation has some similarities. Some of these LA teams have been good but you need more than one superstar to win a title usually.

Well put. Her story is not yet written and there is still plenty of time for her to elevate her own status into that very top group of players. And actually this season looks like an excellent opportunity for her to do that with the Sparks.

PostPosted: 04/23/15 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she BARELY makes my top 10.

1. Swoopes
2. Cooper
3. Leslie
4. Jackson
5. Taurasi
6. Catchings
7. Thompson
8. Griffith
9. Maya Moore
10. Parker
11. Katie Smith
12. Bird
13. McWilliams-Franklin

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 04/24/15 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
she BARELY makes my top 10.

1. Swoopes
2. Cooper
3. Leslie
4. Jackson
5. Taurasi
6. Catchings
7. Thompson
8. Griffith
9. Maya Moore
10. Parker
11. Katie Smith
12. Bird
13. McWilliams-Franklin

There's no way I would rank Parker above whalen or Bird.Their impact goes far beyond points and rebounds.I understand it's hard to compare a pg to a pf,but the intangibles that Bird & Whalen bring to the table far exceed the individual greatness of Parker.There are aspects of the game that separate Bird/whalen from Candace Parker:

1.Leadershp/Verbal communication skills.
2.calming influence on the rest of the team
3.Clutch shot making ability.
4.Running the offense and not settling for low percentage shots
5.Not hanging their heads or walking off the court in an indignant manner.
6.Bird and whalen make their teammates better.

Not to mention,they both have won multiple championships.

Based on talent alone,Parker is the clear choice.But when you look at the accumulated resume in addition to the intangibles,Bird & whalen > Parker.

Of course.this is your list.So my opinion is irrelevant.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/24/15 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Injury prone and never translated her game to great team success except the one year with Leslie as her mentor.

I have her 12th 13th and if you got her lower I will respect that while if you have her higher than 10th Id respectfully disagree.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/24/15 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

She's missing a lot of intensity and leadership compared to those three, and really everyone I have listed. Parker has talent aplenty, but she doesn't get the most out of it and she certainly doesn't use it to make her team or teammates better. No way I would pass up the Tamikaze in favor of Lazy Ace.

A perfect summation, imo.

As good as she's been, she c/should have been a whole lot better. It's always been between the ears w/ her.

PostPosted: 04/24/15 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still rank Cheryl Miller above them all.

PostPosted: 04/24/15 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, I think it's at least fair to say that she ranks notably higher in the Top X Most Gifted Female Basketball Players than she does in the Top X Greatest list.

i'll vote for this one.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: