RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

U16s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/28/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
This is the first loss for the United States at the U16/U17 (same player groups) ever on either the girls or boys side.

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
never let [head coach] Dori Oldaker near a national team again.

Is this as bad as the USA U19 team's third place finish in the 2001 Junior World Championships? That team had Taurasi, Beard, Pondexter, Currie, Christon, Strother, Powell, Moore, Moore, and more. The head coach was a guy named Luigi from Montella, Italy.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/28/15 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Is this as bad as the USA U19 team's third place finish in the 2001 Junior World Championships? That team had Taurasi, Beard, Pondexter, Currie, Christon, Strother, Powell, Moore, Moore, and more. The head coach was a guy named Luigi from Montella, Italy.

Yeah obviously that was a "bunch of self centered babies who think they are the shit. Good luck recruiting from that pool. Coaches are really going to have to do their job and wade through all the BS." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BTW, that bunch of no-talent spoiled brats is pounding the crap out of Mexico 61-16 midway through the 3rd quarter in the Bronze Medal game.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/28/15 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
This is the first loss for the United States at the U16/U17 (same player groups) ever on either the girls or boys side.

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
never let [head coach] Dori Oldaker near a national team again.

It's probably worse. In the global scheme of things, Brazil is probably weaker than a number of U16 teams in Europe. Also a lot of quality development happens in between 16 and 19. During that time in other countries, players will have played U16 and U18 ball and gotten better instruction at the higher level of club teams. Some of the U19s will be full pros who have practiced against other pros for several years.

If you want to look at other interesting U19 results, look even earlier to the first few tournaments.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/28/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

BTW, that bunch of no-talent spoiled brats is pounding the crap out of Mexico 61-16 midway through the 3rd quarter in the Bronze Medal game.
Somebody must have got on the coaches case because she changed the starting line up and pulled out the two post players who were not very productive since the first game. Dora ( yes I know its Dori) seemed intent on playing them even it was obvious that they were too slow to match up with the athletic Brazil team. This team had a lot of potential if the coach would have used the lineup and sat players ( even for a bit just to make a point ) who decided to go one on one. I heard from some other people that she plays favorites and she did nothing in this game to dispel that accusation. As you stated Art no control what so ever. She should never have been appointed as head coach. Just look at the records of her high school teams- nothing to write home about. The only good team she had was the one with Madison Cable. Those eastern high school coaches have no clue how to handle a fast team that pushes the pace.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team had good size, and the one thing Prince seemed good at was passing out of the high post. But there were no plays that I saw to free up players inside or to utilize Prince's talents. She seemed a bit passive on offense and rebounding, but then there were no plays designed for her that I could tell.

As a complete aside, it's something even women's college teams are going to have to address. I don't think most of them know how to coach true tall centers - either the player or the team around the player. The most glaring example was Griner at Baylor, but that's not unique. But there seem to be an increasing number of 6'7-8" players who need to be taught to play and be used as centers, not just big forwards.

If you're fortunate enough to recruit a really tall talented center, it may mean in the short term hiring an assistant from a men's team to coach her. I just don't think there are many women's coaches with the necessary experience.

This coach plainly had no idea how to utilize Prince.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/29/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least I said from my couch LOL.

There are several things to look at when recruiting players-
The mental, the physical, the ability, the competitiveness and coachability.

When there are breakdowns and whether you believe it's all the coaches fault or not, there are still things one can identify about players as to whether they have what it takes to succeed at this level.

IMO the lack of effort, body language, 1 on 1 predominance, lack of basketball IQ and understanding game management and flow were sorely lacking. This is after all USA level basketball. Have those 3 letters become less important to our youth? Blame the coach all you want and I am not saying that is displaced but heart cannot be taught.

We have had selfish players and do have selfish players but have been more talented so we have been able to win. Those players in the most part get weeded out no matter how talented as you have to balance team over talent. But I have never seen such indifference. Even if you are less talented you should still have or show the desire to leave it all on the court.

Btw there were several lineup changes so I don't think you can use that as a reference. Mexico were clearly gassed and seemed to know they were going to lose, they put up little resistance.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/23/15 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The field is now set for the 2016 U17 World Championship for Women. Spain qualifies as hosts. They are joined by the Czech Republic, Portugal, Italy, Latvia, and France from Europe. Australia qualified from Oceania. Mali and Nigeria qualified from Africa. China, Japan, and South Korea made the cut in Asia. Canada, Brazil, the United States, and Mexico represent the Americas.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/05/16 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball doubles down on the same crew for the U17s this year:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/03/coaches-named-for-usa-womens-u17-world-championship-team.aspx

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/05/16 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dori Oldaker was Madison Cable's HS coach. They went 114-14 and won three straight Pennsylvania class AAAA state championships while Cable was there.

If Cable is any indication she can teach fundamentals quite well.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/06/16 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of us were very critical and very concerned with the coaching last year. The team performed poorly. What evidence is there that the coaching will be so vastly improved from last year especially when the coaching is the same. Not a rhetorical question just asking.

PostPosted: 03/06/16 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Many of us were very critical and very concerned with the coaching last year. The team performed poorly. What evidence is there that the coaching will be so vastly improved from last year especially when the coaching is the same. Not a rhetorical question just asking.

Let's see if they take the same players. Some of them were disappointing.

There's only so much you can do with 15 year olds in very limited time, although I recall the substitution patterns looking odd at times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: