RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SC white cop 'fearing for his life' kills black man
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 5:45 pm    ::: SC white cop 'fearing for his life' kills black man Reply Reply with quote

who is running away from him. thankfully this was caught on cell camera.

Commence w/ the usual defense of our men in blue, our "finest".

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sc-cop-faces-murder-charge-after-video-shows-him-fatally-shoot-man-in-back/

PostPosted: 04/07/15 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cop will make a fortune on Go Fund Me...

PostPosted: 04/07/15 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Officer Slager is currently in custody, and his attorney claims he believes he followed standard procedure during the encounter.

That part is probably true. Standard procedure to just shoot the negro, then say you feared for your life.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/07/15 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cop is charged with murder. It's unfortunate that there aren't many many more cops charged with murder but this wouldn't have happened without video proof. Guy taping had guts. I would have pissed my pants because that cop was obviously very comfortable shooting at people.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

another link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/07/officer-michael-slager-shoots-man-in-back-video_n_7021134.html

PostPosted: 04/07/15 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Quote:
Officer Slager is currently in custody, and his attorney claims he believes he followed standard procedure during the encounter.

That part is probably true. Standard procedure to just shoot the negro, then say you feared for your life.

Really. w.t.f. Confused

At least the mayor has it right:
Quote:
North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey held a press conference earlier today saying Slager would be charged with murder, and that when you make a bad decision, dont care if youre behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision.

I mean, really: is there a cop in America who HASN'T heard of (and hopefully, mentally processed) the incidents in Ferguson or Staten Island? Is there any policeman or woman who hasn't had administrative briefings on how their images are dependent upon their everyEVERY move?

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:54 am    ::: Re: SC white cop 'fearing for his life' kills black man Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

As opposed to the automatic defense of criminals that usually occurs here on Rebkell?

Look, anyone seeing the video can see that the cop is entirely in the wrong. Bad enough he shot the guy, but then he's seen dropping what looks like a drop piece next to the guy's body?

The cop is clearly in the wrong and murder charges are more than appropriate here. And there is no defense against what we see on the video.
TonyL222

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the common thread of a black man having a deadly police encounter over a relativity minor infractions:

Quote:
Scott had been arrested about 10 times in the past, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for hearings, according to the paper.

"He has four children, he doesnt have some type of big violent past or arrest record. He had a job, he was engaged," a lawyer for Scott's family told the Times. "He had back child support and didnt want to go to jail for back child support."

Eric Ganer had sold loose cigarettes - dead
Michael Brown stole $35 worth of cigars - dead

WHY is is necessary to confront these people in a violent manner? What if Michael Brown had gotten away? I don't think he'd have been too hard to find in that neighborhood. Why was it necessary to take Eric Garner down - let alone put him in a choke hold?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How not to get shot by a cop:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/white-teen-bmw-hits-three-cars-assaults-cop-in-pennsylvania-and-doesnt-get-shot/

Quote:
plowed her BMW into three cars, left the scene of the accidents and kicked a police officer in the head before being apprehended

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
There's also the common thread of a black man having a deadly police encounter over a relativity minor infractions:

Totally agree with you.

Being stopped over a tail light (assuming it was even out), and then you are shot to death. It's beyond wrong, and the video was horrifying.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is the top "world" news story in o globo, the main brasilian newspaper. from its website:

MUNDO

Nos EUA, policial branco atira oito vezes em negro desarmado
Vdeo mostra a ao. Michael Slager foi acusado de assassinato e caso provoca novo debate sobre policiamento e racismo nos Estados Unidos

goggle-translated page:

In the US, white policeman shoots eight times in unarmed black
Video shows the action. Michael Slager was charged with murder and the case causes new debate on policing and racism in the United States

incidentally, there's ongoing unrest and protests right now in one of the large favelas here in rio over a policeman, a member of the so-called "pacification unit" that patrols the favela, mortally shooting a 10-year-old. just another day in the life for millions here.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:40 am    ::: Re: SC white cop 'fearing for his life' kills black man Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

As opposed to the automatic defense of criminals that usually occurs here on Rebkell?

Look, anyone seeing the video can see that the cop is entirely in the wrong. Bad enough he shot the guy, but then he's seen dropping what looks like a drop piece next to the guy's body?

The cop is clearly in the wrong and murder charges are more than appropriate here. And there is no defense against what we see on the video.

as opposed to the cops that shot the kid in the park or the guy in walmart or the guy going to get his license in his truck or the guy getting manhandled by several cops in nyc.....

caught on video = cops usually win
not caught on video = cops always win.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one thing different here is that the cop was almost immediately charged with murder.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/08/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The cop is charged with murder. It's unfortunate that there aren't many many more cops charged with murder but this wouldn't have happened without video proof. Guy taping had guts. I would have pissed my pants because that cop was obviously very comfortable shooting at people.

isn't this where you usually say if the perp simply complied w/ the commands of the police he'd be alive now?

PS- love the avatar!

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

isn't this where you usually say if the perp simply complied w/ the commands of the police he'd be alive now?

PS- love the avatar!

Thank you! And yes! This is exactly where I usually say that! Is it somehow not true in this case also?

PostPosted: 04/08/15 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

PS- love the avatar!

Thank you! And yes! This is exactly where I usually say that! Is it somehow not true in this case also?

I think that sentiment is true in any case where someone has a gun--whether that person is a cop or not. Unless there is some reason to feel that your life is in danger whether you comply or not, compliance is typically the best court of action. I know back when I was tending bar I was told by my bosses that if someone ever came in with a weapon and demanded the money I was to give it to them without hesitation.

However, the fact that the wisest choice is compliance, doesn't mitigate any of the guilt of the offender.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="TonyL222"]There's also the common thread of a black man having a deadly police encounter over a relativity minor infractions:

Quote:
Scott had been arrested about 10 times in the past, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for hearings, according to the paper.

"He has four children, he doesnt have some type of big violent past or arrest record. He had a job, he was engaged," a lawyer for Scott's family told the Times. "He had back child support and didnt want to go to jail for back child support."

Quote:
Eric Ganer had sold loose cigarettes - dead

Cops didn't need to do what they did and should've been charged.

Quote:
Michael Brown stole $35 worth of cigars - dead

Perhaps he shouldn't have stolen the cigars in the first place and attacked the cop? If Michael Brown is going to be the poster child for all the bad shit going on between cops and people of color, you are going to lose the argument EVERY TIME.

As for this guy in South Carolina, I think the lawyer's statement about the him not wanting to go to jail for child support is a bit ridiculous.

If the articles I read are correct, there were warrants out for his arrest. It doesn't matter if the offense is considered minor, a warrant means you get arrested.

The other thing is that I don't see how failure to pay child support is considered minor when we all know that more and more states really crack down on that kind of thing.

All that said, there's simply no excuse for what the cop did. 8 shots, potentially dropping a drop piece by the body and lying by saying he was in fear for his life by a guy already quite a distance away and heading in the opposite direction. Holy crap is this case going to be easy to prosecute.

By the way, a friend of mine from high school lives in North Charleston so it should be interesting to talk to her today.
norwester

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
The other thing is that I don't see how failure to pay child support is considered minor when we all know that more and more states really crack down on that kind of thing.

The point is that it's a non-violent offense. No one else is going to have their life immediately threatened if the guy gets away. Not paying child support is not worth the death penalty. A cop isn't judge, jury and executioner

The point is that whether one should just comply with directions because the other person has a gun or not, black men get shot by police despite being much more compliant and docile than white men who aren't even threatened with shooting, despite their ill behavior.

I know that for all intents and purposes they actually exist to protect moneyed interests/property, but I still like to think of cops as peace keepers overall. I know it's my background as a white woman. Plus I have at least one close family member who is a cop. But given the number on the job, most are out there working hard to do their jobs and support their families and communities.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

The point is that it's a non-violent offense. No one else is going to have their life immediately threatened if the guy gets away. Not paying child support is not worth the death penalty. A cop isn't judge, jury and executioner

The point is that whether one should just comply with directions because the other person has a gun or not, black men get shot by police despite being much more compliant and docile than white men who aren't even threatened with shooting, despite their ill behavior.

I know that for all intents and purposes they actually exist to protect moneyed interests/property, but I still like to think of cops as peace keepers overall. I know it's my background as a white woman. Plus I have at least one close family member who is a cop. But given the number on the job, most are out there working hard to do their jobs and support their families and communities.

well, his kids certainly won't get paid now. (thanks, mr. po-po.) unless there's a civil suit in the offing.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
norwester wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

well, his kids certainly won't get paid now. (thanks, mr. po-po.) unless there's a civil suit in the offing.

With that video? That family are soon-to-be State Sponsored Millionaires. And rightfully so.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't quite get the "back child support" thing....pics of his family on the news showed 4 grown kids. Heck, he was 50, right? How far back did he owe? All too sad.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Perhaps he shouldn't have stolen the cigars in the first place and attacked the cop? If Michael Brown is going to be the poster child for all the bad shit going on between cops and people of color, you are going to lose the argument EVERY TIME.

As for this guy in South Carolina, I think the lawyer's statement about the him not wanting to go to jail for child support is a bit ridiculous.

If the articles I read are correct, there were warrants out for his arrest. It doesn't matter if the offense is considered minor, a warrant means you get arrested.

All that said, there's simply no excuse for what the cop did. 8 shots, potentially dropping a drop piece by the body and lying by saying he was in fear for his life by a guy already quite a distance away and heading in the opposite direction. Holy crap is this case going to be easy to prosecute.

I believe the entire phrase phrase I typed was "relatively minor infractions". There is no "perhaps". Brown SHOULD NOT have stolen cigars and Ganer SHOULD NOT be selling loose cigs. The SC man SHOULD HAVE paid any child support (although he was pulled over for a tail light, whcih SHOULD HAVE been fixed). There are legal consequences for each of those that should have been paid, but none of them SHOULD HAVE resulted in death.

I don't want to revisit any of these cases in depth - and the SC case quickly resulted in a murder charge. But in each, a great contributing factor to the deadly outcomes is the manor in which the police approached the "victims" and quickly escalated the encounters to deadly ones. I'm suggesting that the police - who are authorized to carry guns, enforce the law, and even use deadly force when they or the public are threatened - have a great responsibility to not themselves escalate the situations to a violent or deadly level.

I'm curious to hear how a traffic stop progressed to the use of a taser and then a gun.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/09/15 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fatal Police Shootings: Accounts Since Ferguson

Quote:
Since a white police officer, Darren Wilson fatally shot unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, in a confrontation last August in Ferguson, Mo., there have been many other cases in which the police have shot and killed suspects, some of them unarmed. Mr. Brown's death set off protests throughout the country, pushing law enforcement into the spotlight and sparking a public debate on police tactics. Here is a selection of police shootings that have been reported by news organizations since Mr. Brown's death. In some cases, investigations are continuing.

the story describes 18 accounts. in one, a naked, unarmed black man was fatally shot. in another, a latino was shot 17 times by three officers, and the video shows some shots were fired after he was down.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
I'm curious to hear how a traffic stop progressed to the use of a taser and then a gun.

Especially considering that the altercation in the video isn't by the road and the man's car is nowhere in sight.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can contribute to the officers defense if you'd like:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund?hc_location=ufi#home

Quote:
Although he may have made mis-steps in judgement he was protecting the community.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: