RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Republicans hate gays, Part 567,204
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
An *updated* interpretation of Indiana's State Seal. Razz

Someone might want to take a geography course and have that buffalo headed to Illinois or Kentucky, unless it's running backwards. Smile

Since they noted that the sun was setting, that would mean the top of the seal is actually west. Thus the Lesbalo is, in fact, running east--towards Ohio. Wink

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the UConn men's coaches will not be attending the Final Four in Indy this weekend because of state mandated travel restrictions. The CT gov. left it up to UConn, but they're not going to attend.

http://wishtv.com/2015/03/31/kevin-ollie-uconn-coaches-to-boycott-final-four-as-part-of-indiana-travel-ban/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/15 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pizzeria says that they would not cater a gay wedding, but would serve a gay couple that comes in. Confused

That was kind of dumb to do considering that the law doesn't go into effect until July 1.

http://wane.com/2015/04/01/indiana-business-first-to-deny-same-sex-service/

Now they've had to close, at least temporarily, because of threatening phone calls and social media threats. Dumb ass. What did they expect?

http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/01/memories-pizza-closes-indiana-deny-service-gay-wedding/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/15 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really? Rolling Eyes

High school assistant softball coach posts this to her twitter account.

Quote:
Who's going to Walkerton, IN to burn down #memoriespizza w me?

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/concord-coach-suspended-after-threat-to-local-business/32135110

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Really? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/concord-coach-suspended-after-threat-to-local-business/32135110

Oy. What an idiot.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Really? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Clearly she needs to learn the value of a proportional response

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't the owners of Memories Pizza realize that they'd be facing a major backlash when they put those views out there? Did they think that their like-minded bigot brethren would flock to their restaurant, like people did with Chick-Fil-A? Dumb. Just purely dumb.

The Yelp reviews are hysterical. I highly recommend them.

Regardless, no self-respecting gay couple would cater pizza for their wedding.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/15 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
Didn't the owners of Memories Pizza realize that they'd be facing a major backlash when they put those views out there? Did they think that their like-minded bigot brethren would flock to their restaurant, like people did with Chick-Fil-A? Dumb. Just purely dumb.

Well, at least not *regular* pizza. Maybe artisanal organic locally-sourced Brooklyn pizza.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/01/15 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

Maybe they thought that by getting in early on their announcement, they would attract a large proportion of the ignorant minority, which I'm sure would still equate to a lot of people.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

OMG! The pictures...wow. Not a good idea to piss off the internet. The trolls sense weakness. LMFAO

PostPosted: 04/01/15 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

Maybe they thought that by getting in early on their announcement, they would attract a large proportion of the ignorant minority, which I'm sure would still equate to a lot of people.

There is a gofundme page someone set up to help the offset the financial costs to the pizzaria for "standing up for their religious beliefs". It's raised ~$41k in about 6 hours. So there is definitely a bigot crowd out there to whom they appeal.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

There is a gofundme page someone set up to help the offset the financial costs to the pizzaria for "standing up for their religious beliefs". It's raised ~$41k in about 6 hours. So there is definitely a bigot crowd out there to whom they appeal.

its now up to $57k.

edited to add: http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

seems the fund was initiated by the Glenn Beck's folks at The Blaze.

why do all these 'christians' have such persecution complexes?

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

its now up to $57k.

edited to add: http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

seems the fund was initiated by the Glenn Beck's folks at The Blaze.

why do all these 'christians' have such persecution complexes?

To be fair, the Romans were pretty tough on them...

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

That's money coming from all over the world. Doesn't mean there are enough in Indiana to keep them in business.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

That's money coming from all over the world. Doesn't mean there are enough in Indiana to keep them in business.

Yeah. As a business plan it's crap. Many people may make an emotional one time donation, but that's not going to keep the lights on a year from now.

What it might do, however, is buy them time until the social outrage goes and finds a new target and the masses forget about them.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that it was in debt. If they can make a one-time cash-grab this way, then close in the black, that's actually pretty brilliant.

Yelp

That teacher must have watched The Guest (highly recommended) one too many times. Wink

PostPosted: 04/02/15 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/wiccans-say-indiana-religious-freedom-law-opens-the-door-to-polygamy-nude-rituals-at-the-capitol/

Quote:
Wiccans would also legally be able to refuse drug tests in states with religious freedom laws, because natural substances like marijuana and hallucinogens are herbs used to enhance experience at officially sanctioned religious ceremonies. Moreover, Dionne explained, giving the blood or urine samples required for such tests would run contrary to their belief that the body is a temple, and if you come for a piece of my temple, I can say no.

They would also be free to dance naked on state Capitol steps so long as the moon was full, as a Wiccan holy text The Charge of the Goddess sanctions the practice.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Wiccan thing is pretty awesome. They should go for it! Seems reasonable to me. Wink

PostPosted: 04/02/15 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
That Wiccan thing is pretty awesome. They should go for it! Seems reasonable to me. Wink

Yeah, I don't think the argument about women dancing naked on the steps of the state capitol is going to convince lawmakers to change the law in any way.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
norwester wrote:

Yeah, I don't think the argument about women dancing naked on the steps of the state capitol is going to convince lawmakers to change the law in any way.

Not all Wiccans are women

PostPosted: 04/02/15 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone heard/seen any of the alleged 'changes' Pence was planning on for the legislation?

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
CONFERENCE COMMITTEE REPORT DIGEST FOR ESB 50

Citations Affected: 1C 34-13-9.

Synopsis: Antidiscrimination safeguards. Indicates that the law related to adjudicating a claim or defense that a state or local law, ordinance, or other action substantially burdens the exercise of religion of a person:
(1) does not authorize a provider to refuse to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public;
(2) does not establish a defense to a civil action or criminal prosecution for refusal by a provider to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public; and
(3) does not negate any rights available under the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

PostPosted: 04/03/15 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Quote:

Synopsis: Antidiscrimination safeguards. Indicates that the law related to adjudicating a claim or defense that a state or local law, ordinance, or other action substantially burdens the exercise of religion of a person:
(1) does not authorize a provider to refuse to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public;
(2) does not establish a defense to a civil action or criminal prosecution for refusal by a provider to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public; and
(3) does not negate any rights available under the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

Then it begs the question - exactly what does the new statute do to protect Freedom of Religion. Does it give a Muslim woman the right to wear a burqa (or even a hajib) for a driver's license photo (which defeats one of the main points of the photo)?

No I have not read the statute.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/03/15 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Quote:

Then it begs the question - exactly what does the new statute do to protect Freedom of Religion. Does it give a Muslim woman the right to wear a burqa (or even a hajib) for a driver's license photo (which defeats one of the main points of the photo)?

No I have not read the statute.

The new Indiana law was never meant to protect religious freedom. It was intended to allow secular businesses to discriminate against gay people if the fact of gay people getting married offended their owners, even though this in no genuine way actually burdened their right to believe or worship as they see fit. The new law pitted private people against each other.

Your question about a Muslim woman wearing a burqa for a driver's license photo is an issue between the individual and the government. Certainly a state could pass a true religious freedom law in which, in that instance, the government would have to show that it has a compelling interest in a rule requiring that everyone's driver's license photo show the person's face, uncovered.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Therein lies the problem. We're talking at cross purposes. I'm only mildly concerned with the law. Laws can and do get changed all the time. As always, they lag behind larger societal changes. I am far more bothered by people justifying their hatred with seelctive interpretation of Scripture. They're not really any different from people who say "Death to the Infidels!"

Well, if you're really worried about attitudes and not the law, then you are certainly focused on the wrong state. There are far worse than Indiana. Take Arkansas, for example. Not only are there are no state-wide protections in Arkansas for LGBT people in employment, housing, or public accommodations, last month the state adopted a law that prohibits cities and counties from establishing LGBT protections of their own. In Indiana, the reality is that most of the population is covered by non-discrimination laws that cover sexual orientation because most of the larges cities and counties already have such laws. Moreover, the RFRA originally adopted by the Ark legislature (and which the governor promised to sign until Walmart really leaned on him) included a completely unique provision that elevated religious freedom over all other legal rights in the state. That bill provided:

"EMERGENCY CLAUSE. It is found and determined by the General Assembly of the State of Arkansas that there is not a higher protection offered by the state than the protection of a person's right to religious freedom; and that this act is immediately necessary because every day that a person's right to religious freedom is threatened is a day that the First Amendment to the United States Constitution is compromised."

So had Walmart not stepped in, in Arkansas, so-called "religious freedom" would have taken precedence over equal protection of the laws or any other right. There could have been no "compelling state interest" to override the RFRA defenses. It was the most strident, lopsided, discrimination-enabling RFRA law proposed anywhere in the country. And the legislature passed it without a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: