RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MTSU's Cheyenne Parker: The smoke clears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/09/15 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where are people getting this is an NCAA rule, from what I read in the article, it sounds like this is a Middle Tennessee Women's Basketball and Athletic department rule.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/15 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Meh. I just can't get worked up over pot. It should be legal and a non issue. Tired of seeing something so petty and inconsequential derailing futures.

I have to agree. Under age drinking is also technically illegal, but I doubt it is tested for, has the same kind of impact on a players future, or the opinion of that player if such actions come to light. Let alone leads to suspensions, possible loss of scholarship and derailing of a professional career.

me three. I can't believe they smacked down a college kid's basketball career because of marijuana. oh brother what a world.

Until the laws are changed, marijuana is illegal. Its unfortunate, selective, over-adjudicated, etc. but still the rule. She failed the tests more than once. That was on her. She knows that. We may not agree with the marijuana laws and drug rules in the NCAA but it is what it is for now. There are consequences for breaking laws and rules. Its unfortunate she didn't take the first hint or at least did a better job of gaming the system.

Yes, it is illegal. That makes it up to the legal authorities to punish her for it, not the NCAA. This is the equivalent of revoking someone's scholarship for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Bit of a misleading angle don't you think?
It is important that organisations take a stance on issues regardless of what the law says.
The law said that Taurasi, Braxton, Brunson ... were free to play after they behaved a certain way too, but their team/league had other ideas, and I applaud them for it because it is all a part of sending a message, which in those cases were a positive ones. Some might argue they could/should have been even more positive.

I personally think that this particular transgression is on the minor side, but I certainly don't believe that a player should be free to do whatever she likes and still expect to represent a school/company/whatever organisation if they have rules in place to the contrary.

By all means argue the merits of the rules, but as long as they're in place you've got no one to blame but yourself if you break them and get punished for it.
It's a particularly hot topic in Australia atm.

I don't disagree that the onus for not breaking the rules lies with the player. Ultimately, they know the rules and choose to break them for whatever reason.

My issue is entirely with the rules itself. For something so minor as smoking pot a young person can see their entire life derailed. To me, that is a major problem. These are young people in their late teens and early twenties, so to have regulations that can cause them long term consequences for things that are so ridiculously minor is a systemic problem. It's draconian. We see the same thing outside of sports too, especially in poorer or minority neighborhoods. Kids will mess up and suddenly have an arrest on their records, which will hurt their earning potential for the rest of their lives.

On that, I agree.
I think it's disproportionate and inappropriate in the overall scheme things when you look at the severity of punishments vs. how bad the 'crime' actually is.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: