RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SNL 40th anniversary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/15 3:43 pm    ::: SNL 40th anniversary Reply Reply with quote

The guest list is unreal.

Lorne Michaels said he invited everyone who has hosted. I can't decide what wish I like better, that Miskel Spillman was still around or that OJ Simpson could have accepted.

PostPosted: 02/14/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the guest list is over 100 people. E! has the complete list, I can't imagine how hard it must be to squeeze in everyone.

http://www.eonline.com/news/625430/saturday-night-live-40th-anniversary-special-guest-list-is-insane-check-out-everyone-appearing

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/14/15 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the first time Eddie Murphy will appear on the SNL set since he last left the show.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I think this is the first time Eddie Murphy will appear on the SNL set since he last left the show.

And Chris Rock's intro of him was longer than his actual appearance on the show last night.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was pleased that they finally acknowledged the passing of Danitra Vance. She had been the only former cast member to die without SNL making some on-air mention. Even Charles Rocket got a moment of silence and a bumper card after he passed.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 7:54 pm    ::: Re: SNL 40th anniversary Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Lorne Michaels said he invited everyone who has hosted. I can't decide what wish I like better, that Miskel Spillman was still around or that OJ Simpson could have accepted.

And, you know, if Simpson weren't otherwise engaged, I bet he would have showed up.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/15 8:00 pm    ::: Re: SNL 40th anniversary Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

And, you know, if Simpson weren't otherwise engaged, I bet he would have showed up.

Maybe. Robert Blake didn't show.

PostPosted: 02/18/15 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

really poor choices. too much time wasted on musical numbers, introducing people and trying to freshen up old stuff in real time. i'd have preferred fans' favorite top 20 skits, and the bass-o-matic commercial probably would've been on it instead of a much older chevy chase doing a much worse job. i kept thinking, "surely they'll show that skit where . . . " why not show one of eddie murphy's greats instead of the drawn-out intro by chris rock, only to have eddie say thanks and be done?

they've been way too close to the product. oh, and the show, too.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this explains why Eddie Murphy's appearance was so awkward:

Eddie Murphy: Way too smart to make fun of Bill Cosby at SNL 40′
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/19/eddie-murphy-way-too-smart-to-make-fun-of-bill-cosby-on-snl-40/

Quote:
He knew the laughs would bring the house down, Macdonald wrote. Eddie Murphy knows what will work on SNL better than anyone. Eddie decides the laughs are not worth it. He will not kick a man when he is down. Eddie Murphy, I realize, is not like the rest of us. Eddie does not need the laughs. Eddie Murphy is the coolest, a rockstar even in a room with actual rockstars.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/15 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
He will not kick a man when he is down

That's actually been a consistent thread throughout Murphy's career. He comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
He will not kick a man when he is down

That's actually been a consistent thread throughout Murphy's career. He comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable.

Hmmm. Eddie "will not kick a man when he is down?" Bill Cosby has a net worth estimated at 400 million and he is alleged to have raped scores of powerless young women when they were down, as in unconscious. Raped them. And he was by their accounts responsible for their being unconscious because he slipped them drugs to render them that way. And he allegedly did this serially and over the span of maybe five decades. Maybe. Maybe more. These are accusations of heinous crimes that if not for ridiculous rapist-ass-saving statutes of limitations that prevent Cosby from being prosecuted for his alleged crimes, he or anyone else would, if found guilty, be subject to spending the rest of their lives behind bars. But Cosby is going to avoid all of that. He's going to escape the criminal justice system and live out his years in the extreme opulence he's accustomed to.

Eddie Murphy has had troubles of his own. And the same machinery that is working overtime to put out Bill Cosby's fires put Eddie Murphy's fires out when he needed it. That's why he didn't use the Cosby situation as comic material and why so few are doing it. Just remember the faces of all the industry people at the Golden Globes when Tina and Amy went there. Genuine shock to bemusement and disgust. It's like you're at a American household products manufacturers highest honors dinner. The real top of the top people. Chairmen, CEOs, etc. Proctor and Gamble. Lever Brothers. And someone gets up there are starts making jokes about micro plastic beads in shampoos and cosmetics destroying the oceans.

Bill Cosby is not a guy. He's a product like Kleenex. There's a building and lawyers and publicists and agents and on and on and on... who are all in and have spent their careers in the Bill Cosby business. So you're not just poking fun at Bill Cosby. You're putting a hurt on people's slice of the industry. No one doesn't know all of this in Hollywood and very few entertainers are willing to go there. Especially someone like Eddie Murphy who isn't really ongoing in his career that much and doesn't actually still create product... he more than anyone else depends now on the 'industry' and all the residual benefits of what he created in the past. All he has left really is that infrastructure and what it is doing for him.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, which is it? diss him for making fun of cosby, or diss him for not? or is it just the reason he did or didn't the point you're making? not directed at you necessarily, but in another thread ledisi was admired for her classy non-response response to the beyonce "controversy." do we have to dissect the man's motives? and who here wouldn't opt for self-preservation? isn't that what ledisi accomplished, deliberate or otherwise? nobody's in those people's heads, and no one can conclude much without assigning conventions that may not apply to a particular individual. maybe it would've been less classy for him to say, "oh, i'm not touchin' that!

pure speculation.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everything that I've said is absolutely true and golden except, unfortunately, for my main assertion that it is indeed conclusively 'why' Eddie Murphy didn't go there. Certainly, I don't and can't really know why exactly he didn't go there. I'm describing the realities of the business and suggesting that they may have played a significant role in how Murphy or anyone else on a stage approaches the Cosby issue. Um... wasn't The Cosby Show on NBC? Uh hello. NBC is a company. The company's products have included over the many years, Saturday Night Live, Eddie Murphy, and The Cosby Show. Duh.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Everything that I've said is absolutely true and golden except, unfortunately, for my main assertion that it is indeed conclusively 'why' Eddie Murphy didn't go there.

now that didn't hurt, did it?

PostPosted: 02/19/15 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Everything that I've said is absolutely true and golden except, unfortunately, for my main assertion that it is indeed conclusively 'why' Eddie Murphy didn't go there.

I know I'm full of shit sometimes.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
sambista wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I know I'm full of shit sometimes.

had a great comeback, but i won't kick you while you're . . . oh, wait. do i even have any interests to protect?

PostPosted: 02/19/15 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Everything that I've said is absolutely true and golden except, unfortunately, for my main assertion that it is indeed conclusively 'why' Eddie Murphy didn't go there. Certainly, I don't and can't really know why exactly he didn't go there. I'm describing the realities of the business and suggesting that they may have played a significant role in how Murphy or anyone else on a stage approaches the Cosby issue. Um... wasn't The Cosby Show on NBC? Uh hello. NBC is a company. The company's products have included over the many years, Saturday Night Live, Eddie Murphy, and The Cosby Show. Duh.

Jammer, they still did the Cosby joke. They just used Kenan Thompson instead of Eddie Murphy.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What, no Toonces, the Cat Who Can Drive A Car? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/19/15 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked it...the Celebrity Jeopardy Skit was hillarious and the highlight of the night. Yes there were 1 too many musical guests but remember even with the disclaimer they had to keep things closer to PG than 14 and MA so that's forgivable, and well the one to cut would have been Miley which was the best of the night.

Eddie murphy not performing has been a big topic of debate that article tells me him and lorne did not get along...Remember Eddie Murphy never performed for Lorne Michaels, and this was Lorne's show (C'mon not even a what if joke with SNL turning into football if Eberson stayed in charge? Wink ) But the article does shed light on why he barely showed his face.

Then again Adam Sandler produced a whole film (Which was isoteric but more on this later in the post) which was a great surprise given how he left.

The Bass o Matic was funny a bit but was a bit dated.

Would have liked a countdown indeed. Also the reel on satire and NO mention of Janet Reno's Dance Party?!?!!?!?

Sneakly they did do a 2nd tribute, with airing the Phil Hartman fake ad for Colon Blow (I would have used happy fun ball but the best of Phil were the fake ads) and the weekend update celebrity tributes to Radner and Farley that was good (tho it broke the 4th wall a bit the way the update desk staged it) But Weekend update also had the joke of the night at Fox News Smile that was classic SNL Satire.

Chevy chase looked like HELL...Hope he's ok Sad

The memoriam reel was ruined by a tasteless running gag with John Lovitz. When Steve Martin did it as a triple joke it was a chuckle...when you were paying tribute to all staffers (from behind the scenes to cast members) it was not in good taste....you had the proper return to levity by punctuating the segment with the Francisco Franco...STILL DEAD catch phrase. That was lower than the cosby joke (And since the joke was more DON'T GO THERE!!!! I thought it was fine.) YES I'm a stickler about not falsely reporting death but I wasnt alone in thinking it was a little classless after such a classy reel.

Waynes World (Which I never got when it aired) was a great closer and was fun especially with the live joking with Kanye.

Adding all the non cast star power (Except Betty White, which was a highlight) brought down the californians sketch, but indeed it wasn't their strongest sketch anyway.

Could they have had more comedy for 3.5 hours yes...but I got the feeling this show wasn't for the viewer but for the cast and crew in the audience. Some of the jokes were more behind the scenes or directed backstage, and that's fun because it really was a loose celebration of the show. And I respect that...and for 3.5 hours, It held my attention well...I thought it was well done.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/19/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
The memoriam reel was ruined by a tasteless running gag with John Lovitz. When Steve Martin did it as a triple joke it was a chuckle...when you were paying tribute to all staffers (from behind the scenes to cast members) it was not in good taste....you had the proper return to levity by punctuating the segment with the Francisco Franco...STILL DEAD catch phrase. That was lower than the cosby joke

This just reminds me how subjective comedy really is. I personally LOVED the Lovitz gag.

For a show that has refused to take itself seriously for 40 years (Also joining us, one of the shows original producers cocaine.), I found it the perfect way to instantly lighten the mood during a segment that was dripping with sentiment. I went from tears welling up a little bit to busting out laughing. The juxtaposition of those two emotions was, in my mind, brilliant comedy. Also brilliant was the way they began it with the eerie irony of an elderly John Belushi walking through a graveyard of his peers commenting on how he never thought he would have outlived them, that he was "one of those live fast/die young/leave a good-looking corpse types".

PostPosted: 02/20/15 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
The memoriam reel was ruined by a tasteless running gag with John Lovitz. When Steve Martin did it as a triple joke it was a chuckle...when you were paying tribute to all staffers (from behind the scenes to cast members) it was not in good taste....you had the proper return to levity by punctuating the segment with the Francisco Franco...STILL DEAD catch phrase. That was lower than the cosby joke

This just reminds me how subjective comedy really is. I personally LOVED the Lovitz gag.

For a show that has refused to take itself seriously for 40 years (Also joining us, one of the shows original producers cocaine.), I found it the perfect way to instantly lighten the mood during a segment that was dripping with sentiment. I went from tears welling up a little bit to busting out laughing. The juxtaposition of those two emotions was, in my mind, brilliant comedy. Also brilliant was the way they began it with the eerie irony of an elderly John Belushi walking through a graveyard of his peers commenting on how he never thought he would have outlived them, that he was "one of those live fast/die young/leave a good-looking corpse types".

The John Belushi gag was a nice tribute but has been used before and is a bit of a Youtube favorite given its irony it was the right way to start the reel Smile...

I'll meet you halfway, A return to levity was needed..if they just did the Lovitz gag or just did the Francisco Franco punchline I'd say it's ok but both was trying a little too hard.

Then again as I said before...I've been fooled by fake death rumors (thank you tabloids.) enough times that I am a stickler about that...perhaps to the point of OCD but you're right it's subjective and I'm glad you liked it Smile

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/28/15 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jack Nicholson went onstage and said the following (which I'm sure was mostly written by someone else):

"When SNL started, the last helicopter had just flown out of Vietnam. Watergate was still fresh in everyone's minds, and New York was broke. Respect for authority was at an all-time low. That's what the world was like in 1975, and it's out of that, that SNL's satirical voice was born.

I should have hosted then, but what are you gonna do? They squeezed by without me!"

This got me wondering...Nicholson was a big star in the 1970's, and certainly he was riding high after he won the Best Actor Academy Award for One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest. He is friends with SNL producer Lorne Michaels. So why has Jack never hosted the show? I think he would've been a perfect choice for a host, and especially during the 1970's!

Is it because he, like some other A-List movie stars at the time, thought appearing on a late-night TV sketch-comedy show was beneath them? Question

PostPosted: 02/28/15 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally got to watch it (or at least the randomly edited-down version that we see down under) ... and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yes, there is a million "what about that classic skit" type things they could have done differently .. but they could have done 10 hours worth and still not satisfied everyone.
Oh and I enjoyed the Lovitz thing too. (Come on, silliness is what that show is all about. I don't want my SNL to be dampened by sentimentality)

PostPosted: 03/01/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Mr. Bill and Sluggo. I was highly disappointed Sad

sambista

PostPosted: 03/01/15 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
No Mr. Bill and Sluggo. I was highly disappointed Sad

they did show mr. bill ever so briefly, but it wasn't satisfying. it wouldn't have been in the highlight reel, but i wanted to hear the guy sing:

here comes mr. bill's dooooog . . .

to this day, i use the line "you're gonna be MEAN to me!"

and i've so wanted to use the line, "jane, you ignorant slut!" on my friend and colleague jane, but she'd never get it, being so young, and chinese to boot.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: