RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll week 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/15 12:51 pm    ::: AP Poll week 15 Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/15/seasontype/2

UConn unanimous #1

Oregon State up to #7

George Washington down to #24

Florida Gulf Coast and James Madison in
Georgia and South Florida out

PostPosted: 02/16/15 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU darn well *ought* to be in! They are playing very good basketball, albeit in an inferior conference, and have both Naismith and Lieberman watch list players. Probably will run the table in the Colonial.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got James Madison being in wrong (I had Oklahoma re-entering), but Shades had Baylor at #2 over South Carolina, so just for that, I declare myself winner! Very Happy

Now that UConn is unanimously #1, that just shows how ridiculous the voters were the past 12+ weeks. Smile

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/16/15 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What does the B12 have in common with the AAC, A10, Colonial, and Atlantic Sun conferences?

Each has ONE team in the top 25.

And for those pretending all conferences are the same and only have 1 or 2 good teams, the ACC has four in the top 10, six in the top 25.

RP

PostPosted: 02/16/15 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And, for those pretending the SEC is just bad offense disguised as great defense, the SEC has five in the top 15 and a winning record against every other major conference...

dfineguy

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
What does the B12 have in common with the AAC, A10, Colonial, and Atlantic Sun conferences?

And for those pretending all conferences are the same and only have 1 or 2 good teams, the ACC has four in the top 10, six in the top 25.

So send your fave team in to play Oklahoma, Texas, OSU and West Virginia. A tough order for anyone but the top 3 or 4, one of which is in the B12. Jes' Sayin'.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So send your fave team in to play Oklahoma, Texas, OSU and West Virginia. A tough order for anyone but the top 3 or 4, one of which is in the B12. Jes' Sayin'.

I'm not sure why you think any of these teams is that intimidating.

West Virginia's best OOC win is Seton Hall, it lost its only OOC game against a currently ranked team, and it's lost twice to Texas Tech.

Oklahoma State's best OOC win is USC, by 4. The Cowgirls lost their only OOC game against a currently-ranked team.

Texas has good OOC wins, but hasn't been the same team since the Enemkpali injury.

Oklahoma lost to the 2 currently ranked teams that it played in OOC, plus Arkansas and Arkansas-Little Rock.

Collectively, these 4 teams are 2-4 against OOC opponents that currently are ranked (and, I should add, none of those opponents currently is in the top 10), plus of course they've lost all of their teams against the only ranked team in the B12.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
And, for those pretending the SEC is just bad offense disguised as great defense, the SEC has five in the top 15 and a winning record against every other major conference...

Not sure how having 5 teams in the top 15 proves they don't have bad offenses. Especially when they're pkaying each other. And records against other conferences is completely meaningess without knowing who beat who. Missouri beating Wake and S.Car beating Clemson doesn't really impress me much.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:

Not sure how having 5 teams in the top 15 proves they don't have bad offenses. Especially when they're pkaying each other. And records against other conferences is completely meaningess without knowing who beat who. Missouri beating Wake and S.Car beating Clemson doesn't really impress me much.

But don't you and beknighted claim the ACC is such a deep conference? Deep in something maybe.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/16/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't recall the last time there were this many mid-major teams in the poll at once:

#16 Princeton
#20 Chattanooga
#22 Florida Gulf Coast
#23 James Madison
#24 George Washington

So that's 5...course, depending on your view of the AAC, it's probably 6 when you include #1 UConn.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/16/15 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:

But don't you and beknighted claim the ACC is such a deep conference? Deep in something maybe.

I think the ACC is pretty deep, but I don't think I've ever said the SEC wasn't.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/16/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I can't recall the last time there were this many mid-major teams in the poll at once:

#16 Princeton
#20 Chattanooga
#22 Florida Gulf Coast
#23 James Madison
#24 George Washington

So that's 5...course, depending on your view of the AAC, it's probably 6 when you include #1 UConn.

I think of UConn as a major team stuck in a non-major conference. Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/16/15 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:

They are deep. Don't see how you could deny that. I don't think I've ever claimed the SEC wasn't deep. I've just questioned whether its teams can score enough to beat the elite teams from other conferences.

dparla

PostPosted: 02/16/15 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess this is the week to see if Cal is for real (or not). Another team with a RPI higher than their AP rankings. I'm not a huge Stanford fan, but they are a legitmate top 25 team and Cal now plays them back to back.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/16/15 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dparla wrote:
I guess this is the week to see if Cal is for real (or not). Another team with a RPI higher than their AP rankings. I'm not a huge Stanford fan, but they are a legitmate top 25 team and Cal now plays them back to back.

Pretty much. This home and home is important for both teams - Cal wins both and moves into the rankings (while Stanford is at risk for dropping out); Stanford wins both and solidifies its NCAA position, while Cal gets hurt pretty badly. (Not to mention that if one team wins both, it pretty much guarantees no worse than the 3 seed in the Pac-12 tournament, which obviously is pretty important.) A split probably is better for Cal than the Cardinal, though.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/22/15 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Week 16 prediction (NOT MY ACTUAL TOP 25):

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Baylor
4. Notre Dame
5. Maryland
6. Tennesse
7. Oregon St
8. Louisville
9. Florida State
10. Arizona State
11. Texas A&M - Does beating Kentucky & everybody else losing make them go up 4 spots?
12. Kentucky
13. Mississippi St
14. Duke
15. Princeton
16. North Carolina
17. Iowa
18. Stanford - Even if they lost to Chattanooga this year, I just can't drop Stanford below them yet, because I'm not strong like Shades is!
19. Chattanooga
20. Rutgers
21. Florida Gulf Coast
22. George Washington
23. Syracuse
24. California
25. Minnesota-- Maybe all the attention Zahui got for this past week will lead to Minnesota get some votes Nebraska has been getting

Out: James Madison (such small margin of error for the mid-majors), Nebraska (went 1-1 this week, Theriot out for season)
In: California, Minnesota

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My highly anticipated Week 16 guess:
1. CON
2. SC
3. BAY
4. ND
5. MAR
6. TEN
7. ORST
8. LOU
9. FSU - Same Top 9 as last week
10. ASU
11. MISST
12. TAMU
13. KEN
14. PRIN - No undefeated mid-major should be this high
15. Duke - What happened? Crying or Very sad
16. UNC
17. CHAT - Foster....
18. IOWA - Took the big hit
19. STAN - McPhee keeps them on the poll
20. FGCU - Sunrise
21. RUT - Just a little hit
22. NEB
23. GW - So not deserving
24. SYR - Floaters better grab a life vest!
25. MIN - Give them some props!

Out: JMU

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/15 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You were really tapped into the minds of the voters regarding Cal. That one has me baffled. Stanford is struggling worse than Iowa.

I wanted to add NW to the poll (I did last week), but I didn't think NEB did enough to drop off just yet. Confused

Minny got burned. Embarassed

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/23/15 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You were really tapped into the minds of the voters regarding Cal. That one has me baffled. Stanford is struggling worse than Iowa.

But Stanford beat UConn! Plus Cal does have wins against Arizona St & Washington in the conference this year.

Shades wrote:
I wanted to add NW to the poll (I did last week), but I didn't think NEB did enough to drop off just yet. Confused

Nebraska hasn't beaten any of the top 6 teams in the standings of the Big Ten this year so far, and Theriot is out for the season, so I figured they were due to fall out.

Shades wrote:
Minny got burned. Embarassed

Minnesota got destroyed by Northwestern earlier this year, but as of lately, Minnesota has beaten Iowa while Northwestern needed choke-jobs by Michigan & Wisconsin to win. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: