RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Has UConn dominance lowered your interest in WCBB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you less interested in WCBB because of UConn's dominance?
Yes, and I am NOT a UConn fan
41%
 41%  [ 36 ]
Yes, and I AM a UConn fan
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
No, and I am NOT UConn fan
36%
 36%  [ 31 ]
No, and I AM a UConn fan
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 86

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/15/15 10:30 am    ::: Has UConn dominance lowered your interest in WCBB? Reply Reply with quote

Have you become less interested in following, watching or posting about WCBB because of the dominance of UConn over the past several years than you used to be?
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 02/15/15 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Dominance."

*cough* Stanford. *cough*

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/15/15 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not at all. I'm just more interested in everyone else. UConn? Eh.

PostPosted: 02/15/15 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Exactly, and when UConn does lose to unheralded Stanford teams, it's groundbreaking.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/15/15 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. I still watch a lot of games from a lot of conferences, majors and mids, maybe more this year than ever because there seem to be more games available. But I certainly don't waste my time watching UConn players pad their stats against the AAC high school team of the week.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/15/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Less interested in the NCAA tournament because you feel like no one has a chance. Part of that is UConn already played the top contenders in the regular season so now there is very little intrigue, except for them maybe matching up with ND since Turner didn't play in their matchup. It sounds counter intuitive but maybe it would bring more intrigue if UConn didn't play a couple of the top teams because they you could see them blow out AAC teams and at least think someone will trip them up. I think UConn needs the top OOC games more than their opponents due to conference affiliation though.

Regular season I am very interested in but its not just concentrated to UConn, there are a lot of blowouts in televised games these days because now you see some of the bad teams get on TV too. The good and the bad of more tv exposure.

RP

PostPosted: 02/15/15 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. The field was truly hopeless in 2009, but in the years since there has always been at least one team with the talent to beat UConn.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/15/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I'm just less interested in UConn, not less interested in WCBB in general. Now that they've been thrown into a mis-matched conference, their games are not anything I enjoy watching.

UConn was dominant before, but in the old conf, they met up with ND, UL, RU, DePaul . . . though they won most of those games, they were more competitive and fun to watch.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 02/15/15 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
"Dominance."

It seems Geno found a cure for that cough. Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/15/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
No. I still watch a lot of games from a lot of conferences, majors and mids, maybe more this year than ever because there seem to be more games available. But I certainly don't waste my time watching UConn players pad their stats against the AAC high school team of the week.

Exactly. And the conference tourneys and the lower rounds of the NCAA will still be fun. NC game, not so much....although strange things have happened in the past and could happen again.

PostPosted: 02/15/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Dominance."

In case you haven't noticed, Stanford ain't shit this year.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
SueFavor

PostPosted: 02/15/15 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

X________________

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 02/15/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
"Dominance."

I never said that Stanford was anything good. Quite how they beat UConn, while these other heralded teams like South Carolina is a mystery to me.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 02/15/15 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How they beat them is easily explained. First, they played a beautiful game and I think they would have beaten any team in the country that night.

Add to that, UCONN gave their worst defensive effort I've seen since 1990.

The consequence was inescapable.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/15 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
"Dominance."

I never said that Stanford was anything good. Quite how they beat UConn, while these other heralded teams like South Carolina is a mystery to me.

A: Stanford has a much better coach than South Carolina

B: Stuff happens, especially in early season games.

PostPosted: 02/15/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In answer to the question, nope. It's just a lot harder for me to do so. I don't have a car to get to the Kohl Center to see games played, I don't have cable, so I can't watch the Big Ten Network or ESPN2, I'm much more limited as to the news and games I have access to. Rebkell and Internet sites are the only things I can turn to for my interest women's college basketball, as well as the WNBA.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
FS02

PostPosted: 02/15/15 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Regular season I am very interested in but its not just concentrated to UConn, there are a lot of blowouts in televised games these days because now you see some of the bad teams get on TV too. The good and the bad of more tv exposure.

Good point, TV exposure is no longer limited to UConn games and what are considered "good matchups".

PostPosted: 02/15/15 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No and I'm not a UConn fan. With the competitiveness of the B1G this season and scouting potential picks for the upcoming WNBA draft, that's more than enough college basketball for me.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/15/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. But it's probably more related to how non-competitive my own team (Duke) has become. Glad the Duke/UConn series was ended for now. This Duke coach will never beat UConn.

Regarding Coach Staley: I believe she will become a very good coach. At least one poster here continuously knocks Staley's coaching. She's currently not as good as some of the best - Geno, Tara and Muffet - but she's already WAY better than most of the others. And she's still early in her coaching career, with this season being her first shot at really playing with the big guns. I think she'll continue to draw her share of the top talent and continue to grow as a coach developing her talent.

~rAf
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/15/15 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nope.

PostPosted: 02/15/15 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I AM a UConn fan, have been since 1994.... but I watch as much of Women's Hoops as I can...ESPN3 has certainly helped that out a LOT.

I understand the thoughts behind this post but in UConn's defense, there are other teams with more talented rosters, they just aren't obviously coached as well. If you look at the starting five, Morgan Tuck was a big question mark with her health/knee issues so she's turned out to be great. Mo Jefferson wasn't thought of to be the second coming of Sue Bird but has developed into one of the elite point guards in the country. Kia Nurse is a freshman who wasn't even supposed to be playing big minutes right away. Stewie obviously is the core of the team and KML one of the better shooters ever to play the game but she also has deficiencies that have been pointed out on here many times. They have a big shot blocker in Kiah Stokes but she adds nearly nothing offensively....Sinaya Chong, she's struggled in the past and we will have to wait and see what she actually develops into. Then Gabby Williams, a nice young surprise off the bench. It's the passion they are coached with that brings them the attitude they have. There are teams out there who can beat them but they have to bring their A game in order to do so because UConn teams are very smart. I love watching the crispness of their game but I will admit, after the first half, I typically lose interest. This team is not nearly as talented as the team of Sue, Swin, Diana, Ajsha and Tamika but they certainly can be just as successful.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/15/15 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

X________

Why should I watch a glorified UConn drill when I live in a city with seven D-I teams, plus too many to count in the surrounding area? Why should I watch another mind-blowingly ridiculous blowout when I can flip between game after game after game? One Sunday, maybe a week or two ago, I rotated among six games.

What irks me about UConn is that they become the only story anyone who isn't already sworn into the fandom hears about, and then something like the South Carolina game happens, and the people who aren't already fans go "welp, one good team and 344 shitty teams, why bother?" (No, *your* team is not shitty. Whoever you are. I'm not saying that. Unless you're a UCSB fan right now. But newcomers to the fandom don't know that.)

PostPosted: 02/15/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are beyond lucky, Queenie. Some of us are stuck with whatever ESPN deigns to put on its various channels, and really crappy coverage of local teams. ESPN has a serious pro-UConn bias, IMNSHO, and in other ways is biased towards certain other "marquee" teams (thank goodness I do happen to be a fan of one of those!). But otherwise the coverage in the rest of the country STINKS. I live where there is a damn good and usually RANKED team (JMU) and they don't even get local coverage, fuhgawdsakes, let alone national.....despite the fact that right now they have one player on the Naismith watch list and another on the Lieberman watch list. Being a WBB fan is NOT easy!

PostPosted: 02/15/15 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
You are beyond lucky, Queenie. Some of us are stuck with whatever ESPN deigns to put on its various channels, and really crappy coverage of local teams. ESPN has a serious pro-UConn bias, IMNSHO, and in other ways is biased towards certain other "marquee" teams (thank goodness I do happen to be a fan of one of those!). But otherwise the coverage in the rest of the country STINKS. I live where there is a damn good and usually RANKED team (JMU) and they don't even get local coverage, fuhgawdsakes, let alone national.....despite the fact that right now they have one player on the Naismith watch list and another on the Lieberman watch list. Being a WBB fan is NOT easy!

I'm pretty sure I saw that JMU-DEL was on TV today, and I've noticed several of their games on Comcast or other RSNs.

lvf08

PostPosted: 02/16/15 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I still watch as much as ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: