RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

IPOD question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/02/05 9:16 am    ::: IPOD question Reply Reply with quote

Ok, here's one for the IPOD generation. 'Sis and the kids were in last weekend and they had a new toy, an IPOD nano. 'Sis was having problems with her PC so she used my PC to get started, installing the software and downloading some tunes.

'Sis has everything working at home, now, but Apple won't let her re-download the songs she already paid for (the ones in the 'test' library she set up on my computer.)

I don't have an IPOD nano so I don't know the ins and outs. God forbid I'd have to call technical support. But I checked the Online Help and read that to transfer already downloaded tunes from PC to PC, the PCs have to be networked.

Networked meaning in the same house networked? 'Sis computer is 100 miles from me, and I don't think my broadband signal is going to carry that far.

Wink

Help! What's the easy way to get her songs to her? Isn't there some way just to attach the files and email them?

sambista

PostPosted: 11/02/05 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the music store allows you to download songs just once - apple's concession to the music companies. however, you can copy songs that are on the original download computer (yours), drop them into the other computer (hers), then authorize the latter computer. (up to five puters can be authorized.) details here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93063

i guess it's clear now that doing all that on a computer that wasn't hers was a mistake. for the future, itunes and ipod are extremely possessive when it comes to owning music and playlists.

so basically, you'll need to burn the music she downloaded (like, on a cd, preferably as straight audio, vs. as mp3s). then she can insert the cd(s) and re-import the songs. at some point, itunes will prolly ask if her computer is authorized.

the other option is for her to buy some third-party software like ipodutil, which will do what ipod wasn't designed to do: transfer songs and playlists to a computer from the ipod. i've never used this third-party stuff, so i can't vouch for how (well) it'll deal with the purchased music. the other music should be fine. (check previous ipod threads about the third-party stuff.)

Last edited by sambista on 11/02/05 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 11/02/05 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p.s. if the pod is still within the 90-day period, you can call applecare and whine. whether they'll make a special authorization for re-downloads will depend, i think, on the level of whining and number of tunes involved. the only time the music store authorized me to re-download a song was when i got a hiccup on one of the tunes. turns out their master of the tune was defective and they refunded my 99 cents.

PostPosted: 11/02/05 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Help! What's the easy way to get her songs to her? Isn't there some way just to attach the files and email them?

My sister and I send them via Yahoo Messenger. You can do whole albums at a time.

PEACE
sambista

PostPosted: 11/02/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i wouldn't email the files. they're probably mp3 or, less compatible, aac, which could get munged in the translation. she needs to get the tunes in their uncompressed state. if you use itunes to burn a cd with her songs, be sure to go into preferences first and, under the "burning" tab, choose "audio cd." otoh, if she downloaded the files as mp3s and doesn't mind having them that way, then no worries. burning them onto an "audio cd" will be like giving her a cd of music as if she'd bought it in the store.

gmail also allows 10mb attachments at a time.

PostPosted: 11/02/05 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks 'Bibb, Cheryl, lots of ways around this to think about.

Btw, this was the first I saw an IPOD nano. I am really impressed.

hooper1

PostPosted: 11/02/05 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about using ftp to transfer the files?

Smartftp works well. http://www.smartftp.com

Plus it's FREE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: