RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WCB player chokes to death on gum while sleeping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/20/15 5:43 pm    ::: WCB player chokes to death on gum while sleeping Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/women-college-hoops-player-found-dead-dorm-article-1.2083927

The 21-year-old senior at the college in California, Penn. was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday. Local police later announced her death appeared to be an accident after she choked on gum in her sleep.

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A tragedy.

All my life I've particularly feared for basketball players who chew gum during games. It just seems so dangerous. Collisions are common and so are inward gasps of breath.

I advised my kids not to chew gum while playing sports, but have no idea whether they payed me any attention.

It's foolish to chew gum, smoke or play with knives in bed. I'm batting two for three.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heartbreaking, the unexpected and unfathomable loss for her family.

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

All my life I've particularly feared for basketball players who chew gum during games. It just seems so dangerous. Collisions are common and so are inward gasps of breath.

Me too. When I first played organized basketball in grade school, we were warned not to chew gum while playing. There was a story about a referee that died after choking on his gum. This was before there was widespread knowledge of the Heimlich maneuver.

Jdub

PostPosted: 01/20/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Me too. When I first played organized basketball in grade school, we were warned not to chew gum while playing. There was a story about a referee that died after choking on his gum. This was before there was widespread knowledge of the Heimlich maneuver.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/20/15 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A tragedy.

I advised my kids not to chew gum while playing sports, but have no idea whether they payed me any attention.

It's foolish to chew gum, smoke or play with knives in bed. I'm batting two for three.

My junior high PE teacher/coach had a no gum rule and told us why. She watched a soccer teammate die. The teammate choked on her gum, and the heimlich didn't work due to the gum expanding in the airway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: