RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Currie could leave early for WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/02/05 8:41 am    ::: Currie could leave early for WNBA Reply Reply with quote

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/4200cd70b4549

PostPosted: 02/02/05 10:07 am    ::: Re: Currie could leave early for WNBA Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/4200cd70b4549

Wacky. Author should have mentioned that all these players would have to actually graduate with degrees before entering the draft, even though they'd be passing up an NCAA year. (Right? Don't the W bylaws say that?)

After watcing Arizona lose to Stanford and to Maryland I'm thinking that from a pure what's-best-for-her-game perspective, Polkey definitely should not enter the draft-- she needs to get faster, and maybe stronger too. (Those Maryland players kept taking the ball away from her.)

Currie and Augustus I dunno. (Augustus might find next season's LSU team anticlimactic if she stays: who's their point guard next year?)

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/02/05 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players obviously don't have to graduate with their degrees to play in the W...look at DT going to UConn this year to finish and I think Whalen is at Minnesota doing the same. It is extremely difficult to finish on time when you are on a team that consistently ends up in the Final Four. Seeing Alana Beard in her cap and gown last year was a remarkable sight. And didn't Sue Bird have to decide between playing a game and going to her commencement at UConn in '02?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/02/05 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either you need to have graduated with a degree or your year's graduating class must have graduated. So you theoretically don't need to go to college. A player out of high school in the states could go play two years of professional ball overseas, then enter the draft or they could simply wait four years until their class is elligible for the draft.

Clearly college is the most lucrative of the options here.

PostPosted: 02/02/05 12:04 pm    ::: Re: Currie could leave early for WNBA Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Wacky. Author should have mentioned that all these players would have to actually graduate with degrees before entering the draft, even though they'd be passing up an NCAA year. (Right? Don't the W bylaws say that?)

Not even for people that need to request the extra year. Deanna Nolan came out after three years at Georgia without a degree. She had been a partial qualifier and did not play as a freshperson, like Cappie Pondexter. She chose not to petition for a 4th year of eligibility.

PostPosted: 02/02/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anybody see the possibility of such a trend like taking the two years overseas for these high school girls people are already watching?

I would think they might become a "Batovic" and end up never playing for the W due to the economic potential overseas compared to our league. Granted, they would not be going over there with a big name right away and be able to command the bigger bucks, but with a couple of productive years, they might well be earning beyond the rookie salary.

I had a difficult time looking at Laura Macchi as a rookie last year. She is a veteran ball player and had some pretty big shoes to fill in LA. Any player new to the WNBA that can keep Tina Thompson on her toes is OK by me.

What think?

stever

PostPosted: 02/02/05 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering what Kara Braxton has been up to. It was a year ago this month when Andy Landers gave her the boot. Has she fallen off the radar, or been playing overseas at all?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/02/05 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good question stever, Kara Braxton would definitely be someone to consider in this draft. Many people consider her to be even more talented that Christi Thomas, and she had a very productive and promising rookie season, so what does that say about Braxton? Anyone know where she is?

PostPosted: 02/02/05 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not just Deanna Nolan...Tonya Washington (now Massaline).

pilight

PostPosted: 02/02/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Braxton is/was pregnant. She should be due right about now.

As for kids going overseas instead of college, think Schuye LaRue instead of Batkovic. I doubt it will ever be a serious option for most players.

PostPosted: 02/02/05 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Does anybody see the possibility of such a trend like taking the two years overseas for these high school girls people are already watching?

I would think they might become a "Batovic" and end up never playing for the W due to the economic potential overseas compared to our league. Granted, they would not be going over there with a big name right away and be able to command the bigger bucks, but with a couple of productive years, they might well be earning beyond the rookie salary.

It doesn't really work. The American system of development is entirely different from the European model (Euros are club oriented, Americans are school oriented) and why would foreign clubs want to spend their resources on developing American players?

If Mo declares herself for the draft, a top 3 pick awaits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: