RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#12DaysofWNBA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:49 pm    ::: #12DaysofWNBA? Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone know about this?

http://www.wnba.com/news/12daysofwnba_tulsa_2014_12_16.html?cid=wnba_12_facebook_L
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:53 pm    ::: Re: #12DaysofWNBA? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Did anyone know about this?

http://www.wnba.com/news/12daysofwnba_tulsa_2014_12_16.html?cid=wnba_12_facebook_L

Yup.

PS: It's only fitting that on a team with the two biggest (point) guard draft prospects of the past few years, their assist of the year comes from their center. Smile

tfan

PostPosted: 12/17/14 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@TulsaShock's Stat of the Year: @SkyDigg4 broke the franchise record for most points in a single season w/ her 564th point. #12DaysOfWNBA

The person who she surpassed is Deanna Nolan. I would prefer they talked about "Tulsa Shock" stats history rather than "Shock franchise" stats history. It seems such a weak connection - only four players played for both the Detroit Shock and the Tulsa Shock and none of them played an entire season in Tulsa.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/17/14 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
@TulsaShock's Stat of the Year: @SkyDigg4 broke the franchise record for most points in a single season w/ her 564th point. #12DaysOfWNBA

The person who she surpassed is Deanna Nolan. I would prefer they talked about "Tulsa Shock" stats history rather than "Shock franchise" stats history. It seems such a weak connection - only four players played for both the Detroit Shock and the Tulsa Shock and none of them played an entire season in Tulsa.

Its just the nature of the business. The franchise was not dissolved and changed to a new one. It was just sold and moved. So it retains whatever history that came with it. Whether you have player continuity or not.
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/17/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

Its just the nature of the business. The franchise was not dissolved and changed to a new one. It was just sold and moved. So it retains whatever history that came with it. Whether you have player continuity or not.

Yup, just like how the 1979 NBA Championship belongs to the Oklahoma City Thunder, and they have 6 retired numbers.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/17/14 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

Yup, just like how the 1979 NBA Championship belongs to the Oklahoma City Thunder, and they have 6 retired numbers.

If I see any sportswriter write "Shock win fourth title", should the Tulsa Shock, ever do so, I will scream. Ditto for "Shock back in playoffs for first time since 2009".

Shades

PostPosted: 12/17/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about "Shock re-sign Laimbeer..... send Williams packing"

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/17/14 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

If I see any sportswriter write "Shock win fourth title", should the Tulsa Shock, ever do so, I will scream. Ditto for "Shock back in playoffs for first time since 2009".

SMDH... Laughing
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

SMDH... Laughing

Does this count? Very Happy
https://twitter.com/SwishAppeal/status/545702904066502656

tfan

PostPosted: 12/19/14 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

#tbt_airball

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/19/14 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

SMDH... Laughing

Does this count? Very Happy

At least the Tweet said "When they were in Detroit..."

A franchise is still a franchise, even if it's been relocated.

PostPosted: 12/19/14 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

Eh, that varies. Sometimes teams get to take everything with them and 'keep' the history, sometimes they leave it behind (like the Cleveland Browns, for example, who became the Baltimore Ravens but left the history behind for the eventual 'new' Browns).

At least comparing things like Diggins's scoring to the Detroit history gives them something worth 'breaking'. If they were only pointing out new records based on Tulsa history, they'd be setting things every week during the season. Maybe they'd have a parade the first time their record breaks .400.

PostPosted: 12/19/14 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
How about "Shock re-sign Laimbeer..... send Williams packing"

That might be interesting. Tho it did surprise me how laid back Bill seemed to have gotten. When he coached the Detroit Shock he never shut up, was running his mouth all the time. Maybe he doesn't have that fire anymore.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/20/14 5:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

At least the Tweet said "When they were in Detroit..."

I would have tweeted:

The @WNBAFranchiseRightsToTheShock won three @WNBA titles when it was in Detroit: it's first was in 2003 #TBT

instead of

"The @TulsaShock won three @WNBA titles when they were in Detroit: their first was in 2003 #TBT "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: