RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hammon is the espnW Woman of the Year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/16/14 10:51 am    ::: Hammon is the espnW Woman of the Year Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11985391/espnw-woman-year-becky-hammon-opportunity-lifetime

Quote:
How much does it help that you were a fixture in San Antonio because of your WNBA history?

I don't want the WNBA to get pushed aside here in this story. Because without the WNBA, Pop doesn't get to observe me with my teammates. He doesn't get to observe me in the community. He doesn't get to observe me in those kind of settings. I think him watching me play was, for him, like, "Hey, this girl, she thinks the game. She's small." I'm kind of cut from a similar cloth in the fact that he likes the underdogs. He likes the guys that have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder -- the last kid picked at recess, you know? I think he just maybe saw something in my game and in me, as a person and as a leader, that he identified with and said, "Hey, you know, that girl knows her stuff." But without the WNBA, I never get this opportunity to learn basketball at a very high level.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Becky,

However, my vote would have been Mo'ne Davis.
Hands down she performed on the field and for a time captured the nation.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Congrats Becky,

I would have voted Lauren Hill.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Congrats Becky,

I would have voted Lauren Hill.

My vote would of been Lauren Hill also.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/16/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon has become the darling of the media recently. But I am surprised that during all the talk everyone seems to have simply forgotten about her becoming a Russian citizen to play in the Olympics.

Without intending any comment on the propriety of that decision, it was a big deal at the time. Heck, Ann Donovan called her a traitor - harder to imagine a stronger condemnation.

Regardless of how one feels about it, it seems to me that it should be included in her bio when she is being discussed for example in connection with this award. It's part of her life; it's a decision she made; and it upset many people. Pretending it never happened at all strikes me as revisionist history.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/16/14 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Hammon has become the darling of the media recently. But I am surprised that during all the talk everyone seems to have simply forgotten about her becoming a Russian citizen to play in the Olympics.

Without intending any comment on the propriety of that decision, it was a big deal at the time. Heck, Ann Donovan called her a traitor - harder to imagine a stronger condemnation.

Regardless of how one feels about it, it seems to me that it should be included in her bio when she is being discussed for example in connection with this award. It's part of her life; it's a decision she made; and it upset many people. Pretending it never happened at all strikes me as revisionist history.

I suppose one could look at it that way. But there are a few others. One, simply, the public has short memory. If no one brings it up anymore, it virtually didn't happen. Another way of looking at it is to see it as an act of forgiveness. The public has simply forgiven her perceived transgression. And you said that it was a big deal at the time, it seemed like to me she had about as many supporters as detractors at the time. Maybe it just depends who we listened to. It will be in her memoirs anyway when she writes one. Besides, Pop likes foreign players. Smile
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/16/14 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I suppose one could look at it that way. But there are a few others. One, simply, the public has short memory. If no one brings it up anymore, it virtually didn't happen. Another way of looking at it is to see it as an act of forgiveness. The public has simply forgiven her perceived transgression. And you said that it was a big deal at the time, it seemed like to me she had about as many supporters as detractors at the time. Maybe it just depends who we listened to. It will be in her memoirs anyway when she writes one. Besides, Pop likes foreign players. Smile

I'm not denying for a moment that sentiment was split. I just think it's phony to ignore it completely.

It did happen. It doesn't go away just because ESPN wants to pretend it didn't happen.

To go from being called a traitor to being the darling of America without any discussion at all of the incident and why it should or shouldn't matter is just manipulating history.

And it was only 6 years ago. It's not like it happened when she was just a kid.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/16/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It didn't happen this year, which means it should have no bearing on her winning sportswoman of the year.

Most of the news stories about her getting the Spurs job mentioned her playing for the Russians.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It didn't happen this year, which means it should have no bearing on her winning sportswoman of the year.

Most of the news stories about her getting the Spurs job mentioned her playing for the Russians.

I didn't say it should have any bearing.

I also didn't express any view about her decision.

My recollection is that it was conspicuously absent from the discussions about her this year - retirement, Spurs, Athlete of the year - and if her Olympics was mentioned, that she had to become a Russian citizen in order to do that wasn't.

I just think that's phony and manipulative. Indeed, I think the reason ESPN so purposely omits any mention of it is because they know a lot of people DO care about it, would be upset again if they were reminded of it, and they would prefer everyone forget about it. So they basically rewrite history to fit their feel-good story.

It would be more honest if, for example, they went and interviewed Donovan about it as part of the story.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/16/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I didn't say it should have any bearing.

I also didn't express any view about her decision.

My recollection is that it was conspicuously absent from the discussions about her this year - retirement, Spurs, Athlete of the year - and if her Olympics was mentioned, that she had to become a Russian citizen in order to do that wasn't.

I just think that's phony and manipulative. Indeed, I think the reason ESPN so purposely omits any mention of it is because they know a lot of people DO care about it, would be upset again if they were reminded of it, and they would prefer everyone forget about it. So they basically rewrite history to fit their feel-good story.

It would be more honest if, for example, they went and interviewed Donovan about it as part of the story.

I agree that the tone of the stories is different from 2008. It was far more manipluative then, when the media was leading people to believe she turned down Team USA. Back then they wanted to sensationalize the story. Now it's just an anecdote about someone who has moved on to bigger and better things.

Donovan backtracked the "traitor" talk in 2008. I doubt she would have much to say now.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe they gave it to Hammon and not Lauren Hill. *SMH*

PostPosted: 12/16/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In no way does awarding this honor to Becky Hammon diminish the accomplishments of Monet Davis or Lauren Hill. They are ALL to be celebrated for their achievements.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/14 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno Auriemma, Brittney Griner, Lauren Hill, Maya Moore, and Laurel Richie also made the Impact 25 list

PostPosted: 12/17/14 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Geno Auriemma, Brittney Griner, Lauren Hill, Maya Moore, and Laurel Richie also made the Impact 25 list

Was Geno's impact a negative one?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/17/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You're less likely to get pregnant.

I just think this statement should be quantified a little more with the term "underaged".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: