RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Not Others?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/09/14 9:27 am    ::: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins has proven that with a knowledge of your strengths and weaknesses both on and off the court, you can find what works for you and succeed with it. Why can't this work for the other players in the league? I think a good agent is important to the process. Based on Diggins' visibility vs. other W stars, it appears RocNation is doing a heck of a job. I would like to see what they could do with the like of Maya Moore, BG, and EDD. Maya specifically, seems to be a woefully underrepresented star. I think the Uncle Drew spots were a great thing but it wasn't built on. Moore may not want to do model type stuff so they would need to delve into her personality and how she wants to be repped and fit THAT into the marketing of Maya Moore. The same for the rest.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of them just want to play ball, so they go overseas during the offseason. That complicates things in terms of publicity.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are quite a few players that don't go overseas. Some coach (Latta), some broadcast (Lawson, Bird this year), some do other things. Many need the extra money and just aren't going to get enough on endorsements like Skylar is going to get. I do think a lot of young players especially benefit from playing overseas to work on aspects of their game. I think Skylar is missing out on some of this. There's only so much that training can do, sometimes you just need to play to work on some things, especially since the season is so short. But it may be a case by case basis, like some players need it to improve, others don't.

I'd also like to point out that many Phoenix fans were just as quick to point out that Prahalis didn't play overseas after her rookie year and then was cut her 2nd year, as people are now saying you don't need to go overseas because Skylar had a good 2nd year. And believe me, Prahalis worked her butt off in the offseason as well. I'm not saying there wasn't improvement, because I'm sure there was if she was given the opportunity (I don't want to get into it). So that may not be the best example because of that. But I'm just pointing out that if Skylar struggled again, that's what everyone would be talking about. But this was just one year, as was Skylar's rookie year. We'll see if she has long term success, because I'm not crowning her a perennial all-star from just one year.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting dangerously close to offending the Maya fans by implying she's not smart or savvy. I'm willing to bet she makes more non-basketball money than Diggins without being oversaturated or exploiting her body. Maya knows she's going to be an elite talent in the league AND internationally for a long time, so she can afford to associate herself only with quality. Now the product Pepsi itself is garbage and Maya would never consume it herself, but the Pepsi commercials are top notch. Diggins hasn't done anything close to touching that and I'm willing to bet she'd trade everything she's done to do that same kind of thing. Maya also has Jordan Brands. What more does she need, really?
With Diggins there's more uncertainty about her basketball career, so she feels a need to lean on the non-basketball side more. That's why RocNation is perfect for her. They are used to representing popstars, and popstars usually have this small window of time to merchandise before people get sick of them.
Maya's doing just fine, thank you.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/09/14 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Getting dangerously close to offending the Maya fans by implying she's not smart or savvy. I'm willing to bet she makes more non-basketball money than Diggins without being oversaturated or exploiting her body. Maya knows she's going to be an elite talent in the league AND internationally for a long time, so she can afford to associate herself only with quality. Now the product Pepsi itself is garbage and Maya would never consume it herself, but the Pepsi commercials are top notch. Diggins hasn't done anything close to touching that and I'm willing to bet she'd trade everything she's done to do that same kind of thing. Maya also has Jordan Brands. What more does she need, really?
With Diggins there's more uncertainty about her basketball career, so she feels a need to lean on the non-basketball side more. That's why RocNation is perfect for her. They are used to representing popstars, and popstars usually have this small window of time to merchandise before people get sick of them.
Maya's doing just fine, thank you.

For what its worth, my original post wasn't any kind of knock on Maya. My knock was more on her representation. Now they may be making major moves out of the spotlight that I'm not privy to and doing just fine. I guess I did a crude comparison based on media exposure. Maybe not the best way to compare. No offense.

Yeah Diggy hasn't proven longevity yet but she has proven a will to improve oncourt, marketing and media savvy off the court, making moves that will potentially provide her with residual income beyond her playing career, no matter how long it is. Pro athletic careers are fleeting at best. Striking while the iron is hot should be a priority. And in that, Diggy's doing just fine.
caune

PostPosted: 12/09/14 3:41 pm    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Skylar Diggins has proven that with a knowledge of your strengths and weaknesses both on and off the court, you can find what works for you and succeed with it. Why can't this work for the other players in the league? I think a good agent is important to the process. Based on Diggins' visibility vs. other W stars, it appears RocNation is doing a heck of a job. I would like to see what they could do with the like of Maya Moore, BG, and EDD. Maya specifically, seems to be a woefully underrepresented star. I think the Uncle Drew spots were a great thing but it wasn't built on. Moore may not want to do model type stuff so they would need to delve into her personality and how she wants to be repped and fit THAT into the marketing of Maya Moore. The same for the rest.

Honestly if Rocnation thought they could make money off of Maya or BG or whoever they would have signed them. Diggins is an unusual case. She has beauty and the need to be seen. Most players do not have those qualities to exploit.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 3:53 pm    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Diggins is an unusual case. She has beauty and the need to be seen. Most players do not have those qualities to exploit.

Definitely more the latter. There are a lot of good looking players, but don't feel the need to flaunt it. Skylar needs attention.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 8:20 pm    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

Definitely more the latter. There are a lot of good looking players, but don't feel the need to flaunt it. Skylar needs attention.

She may have a need to be seen but I don't think its for the reason you think. My guess is you think its a self-esteem thing while I think its carefully calculated moves to build her brand.
jlight

PostPosted: 12/09/14 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maya>the best player in the world >doesn't want to be famous because of her body, but famous for her skill and her greatness//that is what matter is the most to her//same thing goes for BG//

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 12/09/14 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aww the Skylar haters in this thread make me laugh. Seem to be jealous she's more popular than your favorite player. To sit and say she doesn't work on her game. Is not only. Dumb. It's completely false.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/09/14 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
maya>the best player in the world >doesn't want to be famous because of her body, but famous for her skill and her greatness//that is what matter is the most to her//same thing goes for BG//

. . . Neutral Question
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/09/14 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just think more can be done to to enhance their earning potential since we all know ain't none of them getting rich playing in the W. A decent living yeah but couldn't hurt to expand their possibilities. Maya stated in an SI for Kids Q&A that if she wasn't in basketball she would like to be in music and that she plays the drums. Why couldn't that be expanded upon? EDD is big into advocacy. I don't know how they would exactly expand on that but where there's a will there's a way. BG has lots of stuff going for her. Author, bowtie designer, longboard skateboards, I figure she might need to open herself a lil more which I know is tough and might not be something she is willing to do. Saavy managership can make mountains out of molehills. Guess I just wish monumental success across the board. (Yes I know its a lil farfetched but no one knows til they try).
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/10/14 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that it would benefit the league and the individual players to get greater exposure in the mass media, specifically the non-basketball arena.

However the reason i think Diggins excels in this area in a way many other players haven't comes down to a few simple factors. Diggins is interested in promoting herself and building a brand that while launched from her basketball career goes into many other areas of interest. Diggins' desire to do this has lead to her being very active in social media and working with an agency that clearly wants her to be visible that works with athletes and artists who develop themselves as multi-genre personalities that allow them to be bigger than any one simple image or discipline. Diggins' image appeals both to men and women and thusly gives her status as both a role-model and a sex symbol. She has enough credibility in the worlds of fashion, fitness, youth culture and hip-hop that she can represent anything from high end fashion to sports drinks, with an image that works equally well at fashion week, on a hip hop comedy show such as Wild-n-Out, a pictorial in Vibe, Sports Illustrated swim wear edition, Details or Maxim, or as an inspiration in outlets such as Shape, People or Seventeen magazine. What Skylar is doing is unique.

I think other players could be doing similar things but it would take both a desire on their part to do so, and an organic (or seemingly organic) connection to areas of popular culture that both have the worlds attention (or at least certain demographics), and are a way to market themselves that has some sort of profit motive attached to it.

I think Griner has the most potential to go in this direction because she is a top talent in the league, could continue to build her brand and do positive things in the world by progressing as an icon and spokesperson for the LGBT community, she could also cross over into the X-games arena with her love of skateboarding, and could also be someone certain more progressive fashion designers both for women and men would want to be associated with Ben Sherman, Tommy Hilfiger, A&F, American Apperal and Calivin Klien are some brands that come to mind). But fame for lack of a better word is something you have to wish to pursue, and in Griner's case (unlike Diggin') there really isn't an obvious road map to follow, but the fact that Griner has a striking image that garners attention is something that could be put to good used in expanding her brand, but she would have to work with a great agency that has there fingers in these worlds for it really to happen.

Maya Moore as a great basketball player has been given the more traditional route of a successful athlete as a marketing outlet Nike and a pepsi campaign with other great basketball stars is cool, the fact that it was a humorous campaign is great but selling her as a mainstream personality is a little more difficult because IMO that isn't anything she has interest in being, she wants to be a great basketball player. And while she is beautiful (again this is all speculation) I don't think she is particularly interested in promoting herself as a sex symbol or even based in any way on her physical appearance. I think she can continue to grow her brand if she wishes she certainly has that positive role model thing in the bag, but right or wrong it is hard for female athletes to get more mainstream media success based only on there great talent in the sport they play, especially if we are looking beyond the world of sports for that success. TBH it is very difficult to think of any female athletes that have mainstream media success beyond their sport (Coaching, broadcasting, etc.) but that is pretty much true of male athletes as well, we might tend to think of people like Shaq or Barkley as mainstream personalities, but a vast majority of their visibility still comes in association with their sport, though they do pop up in commercials and Charles has hosted SNL a couple of times. So Diggins really is trailblazing right now I guess will see how it pans out a decade from now.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/10/14 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Diggins made a TV commercial yet? I can remember seeing Candace Parker in a McDonald's commercial right around the time she was entering the league. And there was a Sue Bird commercial where she was at a deli for Ameican Express.

caune

PostPosted: 12/10/14 7:11 am    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

She may have a need to be seen but I don't think its for the reason you think. My guess is you think its a self-esteem thing while I think its carefully calculated moves to build her brand.

I am not questioning her motives but I do thinks she wants to be famous, but you can call that building a brand if you like. Wink

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:42 am    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

I am not questioning her motives but I do thinks she wants to be famous, but you can call that building a brand if you like. Wink

Yep. Famous in the same sense as Jordan and Lebron. All the way to the bank Very Happy
Shades

PostPosted: 12/10/14 11:11 am    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
caune wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Yep. Famous in the same sense as Jordan and Lebron. All the way to the bank Very Happy

Jordan and LeBron are famous for being the all time greatest at basketball. That's what Maya is striving for. This is what pays dividends in the long run.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/10/14 11:32 am    ::: Re: Why Not Others? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Jordan and LeBron are famous for being the all time greatest at basketball. That's what Maya is striving for. This is what pays dividends in the long run.

They also diversified with clothing lines, product endorsements, commercials and other acting opportunities, investments, etc. GOAT is only as good as your use of it in a marketing strategy depending on your goals for financial gain. Look at the NBA greats before Jordan. A lot of GOATs didn't get their due (admittedly, some of it due to the time period but there were missed opportunities).
Shades

PostPosted: 12/10/14 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe Jordan did much of anything while he was playing. Now he can pick and chose what he wants based on his name that he built on be respected in basketball. Maya's going the same route. There's a reason why Maya is the only WNBA player signed by Jordan Brands. Jordan recognizes qualities of himself in her.

Going the pop culture route, what's Diggins going to do keep interest up after pop culture fans tire of her? Pop culture fans have little interest in WNBA. She can't come out with a new album every couple of years like Rihanna. Will coming out with a new headband do the trick? About the only thing she could do is dump her boyfriend and date somebody famous. RocNation would love that. They're already trying to pull stunts with these transparent Drake and Durant Instagram flirtations.

I'm happy Diggins did what she had to gain respectability in the league. I was campaigning for to be MIP. I just think it's going to be a lot harder for Diggins to maintain that level of discipline needed throughout a long WNBA career. Maya is naturally bigger and stronger and more suited for the WNBA. I believe Diggins recognizes this and is open to exploring these other avenues. Maya doesn't need to.

So maybe we should just agree that what Diggins is doing seems to be working for her and what Maya is doing is just fine for her. As one of Maya's biggest fans, I'm happy with the route she's taken.... not being overexposed, being all about basketball and maintaining dignity and excellence. She's got two of the best sponsors in basketball, both of which associate her with NBA players, which helps her and the WNBA maintain respectibilty with the NBA community.
Don't forget Maya makes $400K+/season playing in China for only 4 months so she's not getting worn down like these players in Russia.

Maya isn't being ruled by her representation. She makes her own decisions. Therefore the notion that her representation is inadequate is a misguided one, especially to those who believe she's doing everything right.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/10/14 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don't believe Jordan did much of anything while he was playing. Now he can pick and chose what he wants based on his name that he built on be respected in basketball. Maya's going the same route. There's a reason why Maya is the only WNBA player signed by Jordan Brands. Jordan recognizes qualities of himself in her.

Going the pop culture route, what's Diggins going to do keep interest up after pop culture fans tire of her? Pop culture fans have little interest in WNBA. She can't come out with a new album every couple of years like Rihanna. Will coming out with a new headband do the trick? About the only thing she could do is dump her boyfriend and date somebody famous. RocNation would love that. They're already trying to pull stunts with these transparent Drake and Durant Instagram flirtations.

I'm happy Diggins did what she had to gain respectability in the league. I was campaigning for to be MIP. I just think it's going to be a lot harder for Diggins to maintain that level of discipline needed throughout a long WNBA career. Maya is naturally bigger and stronger and more suited for the WNBA. I believe Diggins recognizes this and is open to exploring these other avenues. Maya doesn't need to.

So maybe we should just agree that what Diggins is doing seems to be working for her and what Maya is doing is just fine for her. As one of Maya's biggest fans, I'm happy with the route she's taken.... not being overexposed, being all about basketball and maintaining dignity and excellence. She's got two of the best sponsors in basketball, both of which associate her with NBA players, which helps her and the WNBA maintain respectibilty with the NBA community.
Don't forget Maya makes $400K+/season playing in China for only 4 months so she's not getting worn down like these players in Russia.

Maya isn't being ruled by her representation. She makes her own decisions. Therefore the notion that her representation is inadequate is a misguided one, especially to those who believe she's doing everything right.

Wow....just wow. Okay, I wish Maya the best of luck with that. I think Diggy will be just fine too.
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/10/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
Aww the Skylar haters in this thread make me laugh. Seem to be jealous she's more popular than your favorite player. To sit and say she doesn't work on her game. Is not only. Dumb. It's completely false.

Who said that? All I said is going overseas has some benefits that workouts and training don't.

PostPosted: 12/10/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don't believe Jordan did much of anything while he was playing.

Apparently you're too young to remember it. Jordan was everywhere. McDonald's, Nike, Gatorade, video games, you name it. He was hated by opponents fans around the league maybe partially because of this, but mostly because he always torched their home team Wink

PostPosted: 12/10/14 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:

Who said that? All I said is going overseas has some benefits that workouts and training don't.

The only thing I can see is in game experience but we don't know if game situation training is part of her regimen. I figure she has to do some of that because just working out and training only does so much. Timing and muscle memory would require some kind of in-game situations. So I am guessing she trains with teams (maybe her alma mater) and has pickup games with guys. All just guesses but it seems like the sort of things she would do to mitigate the lack of playing professionally during the offseason.
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/11/14 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
The only thing I can see is in game experience but we don't know if game situation training is part of her regimen. I figure she has to do some of that because just working out and training only does so much. Timing and muscle memory would require some kind of in-game situations. So I am guessing she trains with teams (maybe her alma mater) and has pickup games with guys. All just guesses but it seems like the sort of things she would do to mitigate the lack of playing professionally during the offseason.

Pretty sure every athlete at or near this level does that. I think if you want to be a point guard especially it helps to have a regular team to learn with. So you can learn the teammates, their tendencies, how run different kinds of plays, etc. It's hard to do that stuff with pickup games and even working out with a college team every so often. Everyone always says it takes 3-4 years for a point guard to develop usually. It's good to accelerate that a little with some extra game time. But Skylar really wasn't the point guard last year, so maybe she doesn't even need extra PT at point.

PostPosted: 12/11/14 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins is annoying. She needs to just play the game- and play it well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: