RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Freshman of the Year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:25 pm    ::: Freshman of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Tyra Buss, totally underrated even though she was a prolific scorer in high school.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/14 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a bit early to contemplate but Briana Turner has been really impressive as well.

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/23/14 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While not a true frosh, redshirt Rebecca Greenwell is pretty special at Duke. She's the Devils three point threat but she does so much more. She's a playmaker and solid rebounder and she just plays smart and efficiently. She's dubbed the second coming of Liston but she's already playing like Liston did her junior year.

Jdub

PostPosted: 11/23/14 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah it's way early, but I have to mention Mariya Moore of Louisville. Averaging 18.3 ppg and shooting 59% FG, 62.5% 3pt and 81% FT.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 11/24/14 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you were allowed to look at overseas freshman attending school here, Jay Ann Harris Bravo scores in double figures, demonstrates a succinct knowledge of the game, initiates & completes plays, and drives to the basket and scores w/o hesitation, although she's not a starter quite yet. From a confirmed Toledo fan.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/24/14 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Stanford beat UConn without Frosh of the Year Candidate Kaylee Johnson?

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/14 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great rebounder but she has no offense and she is terrible at the line.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 11/25/14 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Yeah it's way early, but I have to mention Mariya Moore of Louisville. Averaging 18.3 ppg and shooting 59% FG, 62.5% 3pt and 81% FT.

When you bring up Mariya Moore, you almost have to mention her rival for the last four years, Mikayla Cowling of Cal. The two lined up as opponents numerous times in high school and, while their styles are somewhat different, the results are very similar. Cowling is 22 of 36 from the field for a .611 percentage as well as 10 of 14 from the 3 pt line for a .711 pct. figure. She is 10 of 13 from the foul line as well as averaging 5.8 rebounds per game.

Luckily for us, the two will line up again when Louisville visits Cal on December 21 in Berkeley. One can only hope this series becomes an annual affair for at least the next 4 years.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After four games Kelsey Mitchell of Ohio St., a 5-8 guard, is far in the lead for freshman PPG at 27.2, which is also the fourth best PPG in the country for all classes. She's also averaging 4.0 APG and 3.8 RPG.

Mitchell was the #1 ranked player in the class of 2014 by Prospects Nation and the Basketball Times.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/25/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, I do believe you have picked who will be freshman off the year. The best players that I have watched over the last few years at Nike Nationals were Kelsey Mitchell, KLS and Ariel Atkins. Fullcourt did a piece on the same. Atkins did have help on her team but those 3 were way above all the the other players there.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/25/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One to watch although she is on a team that has many scorers and defenders.

Ariel Atkins G 5-11 Fr. University of Texas

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 11/25/14 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jaime Nared is going too be good.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
Jdub wrote:

When you bring up Mariya Moore, you almost have to mention her rival for the last four years, Mikayla Cowling of Cal. The two lined up as opponents numerous times in high school and, while their styles are somewhat different, the results are very similar. Cowling is 22 of 36 from the field for a .611 percentage as well as 10 of 14 from the 3 pt line for a .711 pct. figure. She is 10 of 13 from the foul line as well as averaging 5.8 rebounds per game.

Luckily for us, the two will line up again when Louisville visits Cal on December 21 in Berkeley. One can only hope this series becomes an annual affair for at least the next 4 years.

You beat me to it. This young woman is a really gifted basketball player. No wonder LG snagged her when she was a sophomore.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:

YES, she had a very good game last night.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:53 pm    ::: Re: Freshman of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Tyra Buss, totally underrated even though she was a prolific scorer in high school.

I've been following Tyra for a bit now (have her on my Fantasy team), and yes, she's going to be pretty amazing, it seems. I doubt she'll do enough, though, to get FOY, just because she's at a second-tier program.

I'm looking forward to seeing the KY and Cal frosh; I think Kelsey, Brianna (T) and Jaime are definitely contenders, along with the SC's A'ja, and since there's a good bit o' time yet, maybe there'll be a few other phenoms out there to be *discovered* yet.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
Jdub wrote:

That's going to be a great game!!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/26/14 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:

Isn't it a bit premature to suggest she's a FOY candidate? I realize that you expect great things from her, but so far she is shooting 37% from the field (13/35), 14% from 3 (1/7) and is averaging 10 pts, 4.8 boards, 2.8 assists in her 22 minutes per game. Those stats will have to improve greatly to compete with these other women who are being suggested. Among the freshmen Lady Vols, I've been more impressed with Middleton thus far.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/26/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was playing with some stats at WBBState, and one of the most interesting ones IMHO was Player Impact for the freshman class.

Kelsey Mitchell at Ohio State is scoring 31.14% of her team's points. That's pretty impressive. Of course, with OSU's short roster she's playing 88% of available minutes.

chienboo

PostPosted: 11/28/14 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lookout for Kia Nurse of UCONN.... Wink Wink Wink

ballch87

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I was playing with some stats at WBBState, and one of the most interesting ones IMHO was Player Impact for the freshman class.

Kelsey Mitchell at Ohio State is scoring 31.14% of her team's points. That's pretty impressive. Of course, with OSU's short roster she's playing 88% of available minutes.

going to be a longggg season for them

auntie

PostPosted: 12/01/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:
Lookout for Kia Nurse of UCONN.... Wink Wink Wink

She needs to be in the conversation.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta go with my girl Chatrice "Tree" White from Illinois.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
After four games Kelsey Mitchell of Ohio St., a 5-8 guard, is far in the lead for freshman PPG at 27.2, which is also the fourth best PPG in the country for all classes. She's also averaging 4.0 APG and 3.8 RPG.

Mitchell was the #1 ranked player in the class of 2014 by Prospects Nation and the Basketball Times.

Give a lot of similar top ranked HS players 22 shots per game and let them play 38mpg and they'll average similar numbers (that's twice as many shots as NPOTY Stewart shoots for UConn). Ohio State decimated by injury and she's been forced to play and score almost every possession. They're only 4-3 at this point and it's only gonna get worse as season wears on and the 6 players that play wear down in the Big 10 season.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Give a lot of similar top ranked HS players 22 shots per game and let them play 38mpg and they'll average similar numbers (that's twice as many shots as NPOTY Stewart shoots for UConn). Ohio State decimated by injury and she's been forced to play and score almost every possession. They're only 4-3 at this point and it's only gonna get worse as season wears on and the 6 players that play wear down in the Big 10 season.

Stats from WBB State show she's second in points per minute in comparison to all of the freshman class in D1. I'd venture a guess that her minutes would have negatively impacted her scoring output - tired legs = short shots. That does not appear to be the case.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/02/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Stats from WBB State show she's second in points per minute in comparison to all of the freshman class in D1. I'd venture a guess that her minutes would have negatively impacted her scoring output - tired legs = short shots. That does not appear to be the case.

The stats you reported do not include Brianna Turner of Notre Dame, who is not listed because she is not averaging the required 20 minutes/game. Of course she's not averaging 20 minutes because she gets pulled because Notre Dame hasn't been in many close games. All of the ND starters are averaging under 23 minutes/game, with Brianna at 19.9 minutes/game. If Brianna were included, her points/40 minutes would lead the freshman:

30.8 Brianna Turner (Notre Dame)
29.9 Myisha Hines-Allen (Louisville)
28.5 Kelsey Mitchell (tOSU)
27.0 Victoria Vivians (Miss St.)
26.3 Alliyah Butts (Temple)
25.8 Morgan Williams (Miss. St.)

It's interesting that Miss St. has 2 freshmen contributing so much!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: