RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rebecca Kaplan Wants WNBA in Oakland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/01/14 9:21 am    ::: Rebecca Kaplan Wants WNBA in Oakland Reply Reply with quote

http://orlandofocus.blogspot.com/2014/10/rebecca-kaplan-wants-wnba-in-oakland.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/01/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alert: The audio was VERY loud on my PC.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/01/14 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may want the WNBA in Oakland, but as soon as the San Francisco arena is built, if the Bay Area has a team, that's where it will play.

Joe Lacob is not getting a team to give Oracle Arena 17 dates in the summer.

PostPosted: 11/01/14 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From 2009, here are two articles from the San Jose Mercury News and Swish Appeal. Apparently, Kaplan has been trying to land a WNBA team ever since the Sacramento Monarchs folded.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_13837883

http://www.swishappeal.com/2009/11/20/1166980/first-thoughts-on-a-wnba

PostPosted: 11/02/14 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
She may want the WNBA in Oakland, but as soon as the San Francisco arena is built, if the Bay Area has a team, that's where it will play.

Joe Lacob is not getting a team to give Oracle Arena 17 dates in the summer.

Agree 100%. SF is legit.

PostPosted: 11/02/14 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She sounds like a pretty big fan of the W. Who knows - maybe she watches Live Access and is one of us.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/04/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
Alert: The audio was VERY loud on my PC.

Not to mention that the bad acoustics and the echo bouncing makes a bit hard to figure out what she is exactly saying.

This sounded like it was held in an auditorium or a public community center, instead of a city government meeting building.

PostPosted: 11/05/14 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

won't happen. Joe Lacob & San Francisco will get a team first. Whenever the league wants to expand, Lacob is #1 on their list.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 11/05/14 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren't the Golden State Warriors based in Oakland?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/05/14 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

They are, but Lacob, who owns the Warriors, is building an arena in San Francisco that will be ready in 2017 or 2018, and he will move the Warriors (and a WNBA team, if there is one) when the arena is ready.

It's a shame, really, and I don't know how the Warriors will do in down seasons in SF. The East Bay, where Oakland is, is a basketball area, at all levels; San Francisco, not so much.

PostPosted: 11/07/14 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, Rebecca Kaplan lost her bid to become Mayor of Oakland. She came in third place.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Jean-Quan-loses-Oakland-mayor-s-job-to-Libby-5873406.php

Quote:
In the end, the last three candidates standing were Schaaf, Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan --- who had been favored to win in polls --- and incumbent Jean Quan. But it was never close. When Quan was eliminiated, her redistributed votes were almost evenly split, boosting Schaaf to victory from 49 percent of the vote to 63 percent. Kaplan lost with 37 percent of the vote.

PostPosted: 11/07/14 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And here is Oakland City Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan's profile page.

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CityCouncil/o/AtLarge/a/Profile/index.htm

PostPosted: 11/07/14 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

They are, but Lacob, who owns the Warriors, is building an arena in San Francisco that will be ready in 2017 or 2018, and he will move the Warriors (and a WNBA team, if there is one) when the arena is ready.

It's a shame, really, and I don't know how the Warriors will do in down seasons in SF. The East Bay, where Oakland is, is a basketball area, at all levels; San Francisco, not so much.

BART/MUNI makes it easy to get to. http://www.nba.com/warriors/sf

Oco and new site are 17 miles apart

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

BART/MUNI makes it easy to get to. http://www.nba.com/warriors/sf

Oco and new site are 17 miles apart

Anything involving Muni is not going to be easy -- one of the worst civic transit systems in the country. Buses are late, if not cancelled, and it's not something anyone can rely on.

The issue too is leaving games, as everyone leaves at the same time, and relying on Muni to be organized enough to have extra buses/trains available at 10 p.m. on weeknights is like betting on the Raiders to make the playoffs.

And though the sites are 17 miles apart, they are separated by the Bay, and you have to go over a crowded bridge, at rush hour, to get there for a 7 p.m. game. The fan base will have to come from the West Bay, which is not basketball country, at this point.

PostPosted: 11/09/14 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to wonder if the reason for going to San Francisco is the high regard that city is held in versus the low regard of Oakland and the owner wanting to be associated with the more prestigious city, not that it makes more business sense. It will require Bart riders to transfer to light rail to get there (but a new light rail line coming in will make the route very direct) but I think a bigger difference will be felt by drivers. Traffic to both is probably a headache, but I think parking will be worse in SF. The stadium "complex" has parking, but it isn't said whether there is any parking on site for stadium goers or if the parking is for the retail and office space that will be there. I would guess that they aren't building parking equivalent to what is in Oakland, if they are building anything for arena goers. So it will be harder for drivers to park. But having said that, somehow the SF Giants baseball park manages to survive without having what appears to be adequate parking for their stadium - they have 4,000 parking spots for a 41,000 seat stadium (although their normal attendance would be much less than that). Maybe it's like Field of Dreams - If you build it they will come. Although the two are close enough that the plan could be to use SF Giants parking when there is no conflict.

The good news about the arena is that unlike most projects, it is being done without city assistance. Although that is probably because they are doing the new "complex" thing. Building office space or retail or residential around an arena can cover for the fact that arenas generally don't make money.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/09/14 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AT&T Park is an anomaly is a lot of ways -- it pretty much sells out every game, but it is within walking distance of downtown, and the downtown BART stations. You can also take a Muni train.

The Warriors' owners, of course, are hoping that their arena will have the same kind of cachet, and function just as smoothly, and it may happen.

The big difference, though, is the location of the fan base. Though many East Bay fans do go to AT&T Park, most come from the City and the Peninsula and don't have to deal with the Bay Bridge of San Mateo Bridge.

Right now, however, the Warrior fan base is in the East Bay, and my feeling is most of the potential fans of a WNBA franchise would be in the East Bay as well. The City (as San Francisco is known here) is incredibly expensive to live in, and my feeling is the demographic of the population is going to change away from WNBA fans, especially families with daughters, and more to rich techies who work extremely long hours for their big bucks.

We'll see, though. It could all work out, and maybe a WNBA franchise would inspire a growth in interest for women's basketball at levels in the City and on the Peninsula. You never know ...

PostPosted: 11/09/14 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re the Warriors' move to SF, this is an interesting perspective.

http://www.trappedingoldenstate.com/2012/05/golden-state-warriors-of-san-francisco.html

All that is around Oracle arena are parking lots. I think the ambiance of bars, restaurants and other attractions will be an added perk. I also was surprised to read that parking at Oracle arena is $60. Yikes.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/10/14 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:

http://www.trappedingoldenstate.com/2012/05/golden-state-warriors-of-san-francisco.html

All that is around Oracle arena are parking lots. I think the ambiance of bars, restaurants and other attractions will be an added perk. I also was surprised to read that parking at Oracle arena is $60. Yikes.

Did you read $60 parking at Oracle arena in that article? I don't see it mentioned. He first says he will pay $20 (I think extra from what he pays in Oakland) for parking at the new site. Then he notes a lack of parking spaces at the SF site and wonders where his $40 spot will be and says he can kiss $18 parking goodbye (implying that is what he currently pays at Oracle Arena). Since he looks forward to and laments not having now, a place to eat and drink before or after the game with fellow fans - outside the arena - it seems like there is an opportunity for Oakland bar/restaurants there. They could run a shuttle bus or advertise in the arena for fans to drive to and congregate at their establishment on game day.

Looks like the Warriors will be going the modern route of getting season ticket holders to foot much of the bill for the new arena/stadium (selling the "naming rights" and "concessionaire rights" also helps lighten the load). But with them owning the stadium they will have to pay tax on those "seat licenses". The typical route of having the local city own the stadium means that those "seat license" payments are tax free.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/10/14 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:

Did you read $60 parking at Oracle arena in that article? I don't see it mentioned. He first says he will pay $20 (I think extra from what he pays in Oakland) for parking at the new site. Then he notes a lack of parking spaces at the SF site and wonders where his $40 spot will be and says he can kiss $18 parking goodbye (implying that is what he currently pays at Oracle Arena). Since he looks forward to and laments not having now, a place to eat and drink before or after the game with fellow fans - outside the arena - it seems like there is an opportunity for Oakland bar/restaurants there. They could run a shuttle bus or advertise in the arena for fans to drive to and congregate at their establishment on game day.

Looks like the Warriors will be going the modern route of getting season ticket holders to foot much of the bill for the new arena/stadium (selling the "naming rights" and "concessionaire rights" also helps lighten the load). But with them owning the stadium they will have to pay tax on those "seat licenses". The typical route of having the local city own the stadium means that those "seat license" payments are tax free.

I saw the $60 parking fee in another article. So, I looked it up on the Oracle arena site.

Golden State Warriors Parking Fees
(Rates include a city-imposed parking tax.)

Car & Motorcycle $30
Limo / Bus / RV $50
Parking gates open 2 hours prior to game start.
Doors open 1 1/2 hours prior to game start.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/10/14 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most Dream tickets would cost less than that parking fee. If the "Lady Warriors" (for lack of a better name Razz ) charge that much - its going to be a tough sell, I think.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/10/14 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The parking charges vary from event to event ... I think the $60 was for something like a Taylor Swift concert.

During the regular baseball season, you can park near AT&T for $30 or so. For the playoffs, it was up to $100; for the World Series, it was $150.

PostPosted: 11/11/14 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:

I saw the $60 parking fee in another article. So, I looked it up on the Oracle arena site.

Golden State Warriors Parking Fees
(Rates include a city-imposed parking tax.)

Car & Motorcycle $30
Limo / Bus / RV $50
Parking gates open 2 hours prior to game start.
Doors open 1 1/2 hours prior to game start.

I just noticed that that article you linked was from May 2012. It doesn't say what the price is, but Warriors season ticket holders get a discount on parking if they pre-pay the whole year. The $18 might have been a season ticket holder rate for three years ago, or also could have been the regular rate back then.

I can see paying for parking at an arena that was crammed into an overcrowded downtown area and doesn't have sufficient parking. But I don't understand why places like Arco Arena in Sacramento, or Oakland's Oracle Arena, which are well outside the downtown and appear to have as much parking as is needed for everyone, charge for it. Why is parking free at a shopping mall but not at an arena with massive parking lots around it? Or if you are gonna charge, why $30 and not $3? I suppose the answer is "because they can get away with it" as there is no competition down the street that can offer the same event with free parking.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/11/14 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At Arco, there's nowhere else to park nearby.

At O.co, you don't want to park nearby.

PostPosted: 11/11/14 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
At Arco, there's nowhere else to park nearby.

At O.co, you don't want to park nearby.

This answers the following as well:

tfan wrote:

Since he looks forward to and laments not having now, a place to eat and drink before or after the game with fellow fans - outside the arena - it seems like there is an opportunity for Oakland bar/restaurants there. They could run a shuttle bus or advertise in the arena for fans to drive to and congregate at their establishment on game day.

This made me laugh so hard! If you had ever been anywhere close to Oracle, you would know why this is not possible. At one time, hubby worked near there in a building that had a 50 space parking lot with a 10 foot high fence and two security guards. He said you could hear gunshots almost on a daily basis. He finally quit after a fellow worker was shot driving to work. The huge parking lots around Oracle almost work as a DMZ. NOBODY wants to stay in that area after a game.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/11/14 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oakland is pretty much a war zone. The police staff is way understaffed (no one wants to work there), the school system is a disaster, the city government is a joke -- and yet the high prices in SF are driving up real estate demand and prices in Oakland (well, the Oakland hills).

There are some really nice areas in Oakland, and some really cool restaurants, but you have to know your way around. And the only way to get around near the Coliseum is with an AK-47.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: