Board Junkies Forums

Biggest 2014 Team USA slight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Biggest 2014 Team USA slight
Bird starting over Whalen
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
Delle Donne not given as much time to heal for her back as Griner got for her eye
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Diggins not making the final roster
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Schimmel not even given initial consideration for Team USA
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
These are all equally abhorrent
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
I have an even bigger slight than what was listed here which I will post below
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 41

RP

PostPosted: 10/09/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the very least, I would just like to see some consistency.

So, you pass on Lavender, but in 2012...

“I’m excited,” said USA and University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma. “I think it’s well deserved. She adds an awful lot of maturity, experience and talent to this team. Some of the teams that we’re going to have to beat in the Olympics, the best teams are really the ones who have the most experienced post players. Asjha has proven herself both in the WNBA and overseas to be able to defend anybody and to be able to score. She’s got experience. All of the things you would look for in a player, she has those qualities. So, when we’re looking at who that 12th player was, having somebody with Asjha’s experience and certainly what she’s done overseas, especially this year, has given us a lot of comfort knowing that we have somebody who can really compliment the other post players who have already been named.”

“As always, this decision was very difficult due to the breadth and quality of the USA National Team pool,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan, a member of the selection committee. “Asjha has shown her abilities throughout the EuroLeague season, culminating in earning MVP honors at the Final Eight. Her abilities and leadership as a veteran of international basketball and over the last several years with our USA National Team program makes her a great choice for this final spot. Her experience pushed her forward in terms of selecting the final roster spot.”

And, oh, we won't take EDD or Nneka over the corpse of Swin Cash, but will take Stewart over pros a heck of a lot better than Cash.

Diana3Taurasi

PostPosted: 10/09/14 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Diana3Taurasi wrote:
Chiney being one of the first cuts when in reality she should have been on the final roster over Stewie. The WNBA rookie of the year who averaged an efficient 26 and 12 in college deserves at least some consideration over a junior in college. I know that Stewie already led her team to 2 national championships, but she literally did that with a WNBA level starting lineup (all of UCONN's starters will at least be role players in the WNBA. KML is projected to be the first pick next year). Stewie will probably be better than Chiney as a pro in the WNBA imo, but the best players should have been selected and Chiney was one of the best players in the pool.

This, hands down. It made the entire team a joke.

Well...

In 2006, Parker was added while still in college...look at her importance to the National Team since entering WNBA...

In 2010, Maya was added while still in college...look at her importance to the National Team since entering WNBA...

In 2014, Stewie was added while still in college...

Notice a pattern. I think USAB knows what they're doing. Stewie's international resume speaks for itself.

Why did both Ogwumike sisters need to be there for Team USA to not be a joke? They provide basically the same skill set. I think the only joke here are your comments.

Next.

Maya actually deserved to be there and she played well for team USA. Maya even played 24 minutes one game and she scored 15 on 5/6 shooting. She also had 5 assists that game. You simply can't make a case for Stewie over Chiney at this point in their careers. Chiney even put up better numbers in the NCAA than Stewie. It's not like Geno was being forced to have a college player on the roster. He could have easily cut her. He wanted her there because he coaches her at UCONN which is really unfair. If Tara Vanderveer was the coach do you really think Stewie would have made the roster over Chiney? I say definitely not. Lol at USA basketball knowing what they're doing. They're playing with a team of all-stars. I could have coached the team and made the cuts and the result would have been the same. I would have simply kept Diana on the bench, let her call the plays, and let her be the vocal leader of the team. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to win with with that roster.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/09/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

“I’m excited,” said USA and University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma. “I think it’s well deserved. She adds an awful lot of maturity, experience and talent to this team. Some of the teams that we’re going to have to beat in the Olympics, the best teams are really the ones who have the most experienced post players. Asjha has proven herself both in the WNBA and overseas to be able to defend anybody and to be able to score. She’s got experience. All of the things you would look for in a player, she has those qualities. So, when we’re looking at who that 12th player was, having somebody with Asjha’s experience and certainly what she’s done overseas, especially this year, has given us a lot of comfort knowing that we have somebody who can really compliment the other post players who have already been named.”

“As always, this decision was very difficult due to the breadth and quality of the USA National Team pool,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan, a member of the selection committee. “Asjha has shown her abilities throughout the EuroLeague season, culminating in earning MVP honors at the Final Eight. Her abilities and leadership as a veteran of international basketball and over the last several years with our USA National Team program makes her a great choice for this final spot. Her experience pushed her forward in terms of selecting the final roster spot.”

And, oh, we won't take EDD or Nneka over the corpse of Swin Cash, but will take Stewart over pros a heck of a lot better than Cash.

Since the WNBA stared, USA Basketball has consistently taken a college player to the WCs (all but once) and never to the Olympics. I am not sure why people are surprised that the same thing happened this year.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/09/14 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

Since the WNBA stared, USA Basketball has consistently taken a college player to the WCs (all but once) and never to the Olympics. I am not sure why people are surprised that the same thing happened this year.

Maybe because the young talent in the WNBA is deeper than it has ever been and there was no reason whatsoever to take a college player. Certainly not before you take the WNBA rookie of the year or a 2nd year pro who was 1st team all WNBA.

If the coach had been anyone other than Geno, Stewart would not have been there and I doubt Bird would have been either.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/09/14 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

Maybe because the young talent in the WNBA is deeper than it has ever been and there was no reason whatsoever to take a college player. Certainly not before you take the WNBA rookie of the year or a 2nd year pro who was 1st team all WNBA.

If the coach had been anyone other than Geno, Stewart would not have been there and I doubt Bird would have been either.

People keep saying that with absolutely no evidence. In fact, the only evidence there is contradicts that.

1) Core players have typically be able to continue on the team until they decide not too. Sue Bird, for example, is still much better than Dawn Staley ever was.

2) World Championship teams have almost always had a college player.

3) It has been repeated over and over that the Committee makes the player decisions, not the coach. There is no evidence that this is not the truth. In fact, the only head coach to have talked about this has said that she did not get to make personnel decisions.

So, the make-up of this team mirrors previous teams and there is no evidence the coach makes the decisions. Yet, somehow, this is different because ... something something Geno?

Beemer

PostPosted: 10/09/14 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bringing back Auriemma for a second term as coach when no one in the NCAA era had ever gotten to do that.

He owns it now just like he owns WCBB. Wink

Didn't Donovan have both 2006 and 2008?

Yes but that was it- one WC and one Olympics. Geno now has 2 WCs and another Olympics coming up. He's the only women's coach [so far] to be head coach of the national team twice. Which apparently has torqued a lot of people off.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bringing back Auriemma for a second term as coach when no one in the NCAA era had ever gotten to do that.

Why does it matter?

It gives him a leg up on recruiting because he gets access to HS players that wouldn't be allowed under other circumstances.

Put another way, if it was Muffet McGraw working a second term as coach, cth and the rest of the UConn fans would be bitching about it non-stop.

But it's not Muffet McGraw. It's Geno. We can't change that because it;s done.
But you know what. Winning comes with perks. The rich get richer. It's the way this Country works.

Lots of people have won with Team USA. None of them have come back for seconds....until now.

Were they ever asked to though? If previous coaches were asked and turned it down that's not Geno's fault.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

People keep saying that with absolutely no evidence. In fact, the only evidence there is contradicts that.

1) Core players have typically be able to continue on the team until they decide not too. Sue Bird, for example, is still much better than Dawn Staley ever was.

3) It has been repeated over and over that the Committee makes the player decisions, not the coach. There is no evidence that this is not the truth. In fact, the only head coach to have talked about this has said that she did not get to make personnel decisions.

So, the make-up of this team mirrors previous teams and there is no evidence the coach makes the decisions. Yet, somehow, this is different because ... something something Geno?

That they may have taken a college player sometimes in the past is only relevant if paired with who was left off as a result. It's meaningless in isolation. There is no indication it's a "policy" to always have one college player.

And don't be naive. Geno got exactly the roster Geno wanted. There's only one known instance when that hasn't happened and that was a long time ago. The committe came ready equipped with their rubber stamps.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/09/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

That they may have taken a college player sometimes in the past is only relevant if paired with who was left off as a result. It's meaningless in isolation. There is no indication it's a "policy" to always have one college player.

And don't be naive. Geno got exactly the roster Geno wanted. There's only one known instance when that hasn't happened and that was a long time ago. The committe came ready equipped with their rubber stamps.

There is no indication of policies, but there is an indication of very clear trends. A further data point in a trend makes a lot more sense that hateful and bizarre conspiracy theories.

And there are no known instances where the coach was able to overrule the committee. And yet, you decide that must be what happened.

I am not even a Geno fan, but this has all been fucking ridiculous. This board used to be sane.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/09/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

There is no indication of policies, but there is an indication of very clear trends. A further data point in a trend makes a lot more sense that hateful and bizarre conspiracy theories.

And there are no known instances where the coach was able to overrule the committee. And yet, you decide that must be what happened.

I am not even a Geno fan, but this has all been fucking ridiculous. This board used to be sane.

It's pointless to try and argue this logically. People have already made up their mind and the fact that there is no evidence doesn't matter because they have already created a narrative that they believe is true.

It's like trying to argue religion.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
This board used to be sane.

NOOOO! (When?? What would be the fun! Razz)

justintyme wrote:
It's pointless to try and argue this logically. People have already made up their mind and the fact that there is no evidence doesn't matter because they have already created a narrative that they believe is true.

It's like trying to argue religion.

RELIGION!!? FerGeno'sSake! Let's NOT bring ReligUConn into the fray! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Frankly, I believe there is FAR more logic in this debate. I think most of us know and believe that Taurasi and Moore "belong" right where they were. And Charles, too. Breanna? Not just yet (arguably). But just the starting lineup was too blatant, imo.

And just as "Frankly", further-fetched-but-true conspiracy theories exist: This milieu is STILL a "Good Ol' Boys" club. Geno has FAR more notoriety and clout than any of his predecessors that I can think of. To believe it's utterly impossible for someone with his historically HIGH levels of chutzpah to do these things in the name of sealing his legacy as the All-Time Greatest College Women's Coach ever (and the "Yes, come to UConn cuz we produce all the National Team Members, See?" factor even....) ....well....that'd just be naïve homerism.

"Prove It"?? LOOK AT THE WAY THE TEAM WAS MANAGED: That's all the proof needed. That's like having Pat do what I mentioned upthread, and someone saying, "Not fair!", and her supporters say "But Prove it!".
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/09/14 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sammy P Sammy P Sammy P

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/09/14 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RP wrote:

People. you are missing the point of taking a college player. It isn't because they are the best it is because the committee is grooming them young for future core status.
Ya gotta read Tara Vanderveers books. She didn't want college player Rebecca Lobo on the 1995-96 team, but the committee did. There were better players out there. But the committee does what ty\hey feel is best. And you certainly can't argue the Stewie is the right college player to have put on this team.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
People. you are missing the point of taking a college player. It isn't because they are the best it is because the committee is grooming them young for future core status.

Soooo....leave Birdy home, and take YOUNGER players. That's been said repeatedly. Rolling Eyes

caune wrote:
Ya gotta read Tara Vanderveers books. She didn't want college player Rebecca Lobo on the 1995-96 team, but the committee did. There were better players out there. But the committee does what ty\hey feel is best. And you certainly can't argue the Stewie is the right college player to have put on this team.

Seeee? Geno was pulling strings even THEN!! Laughing

PostPosted: 10/09/14 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Ya gotta read Tara Vanderveers books. She didn't want college player Rebecca Lobo on the 1995-96 team, but the committee did.

They gave her the team she wanted in 1994 and she came home with Bronze because she was bound and determined to start Jennifer Azzi (the only player to start all eight games in Sydney). The committee wasn't interested in repeating that mistake, so for 1996 they gave her a team that would win instead.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana3Taurasi wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Well...

In 2006, Parker was added while still in college...look at her importance to the National Team since entering WNBA...

In 2010, Maya was added while still in college...look at her importance to the National Team since entering WNBA...

In 2014, Stewie was added while still in college...

Notice a pattern. I think USAB knows what they're doing. Stewie's international resume speaks for itself.

Maya actually deserved to be there and she played well for team USA. Maya even played 24 minutes one game and she scored 15 on 5/6 shooting. She also had 5 assists that game.

Hell, Parker was the best player on the 2006 team...

SueFavor

PostPosted: 10/09/14 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Somebody asks a question.

People answer the question.

Other people attack the answers to the questions and those who answered the question because they didn't like that answer.

NEXT.

Yes. Some people ask questions, some answer them.

But them some add their own unnecessary little jabs just because they feel like it. Besides the fact that someone else answered said question. You just co-signed and added the "unnecessary little jab". That's what I was responding to.

Next.

Are these examples of unnecessary little jabs?

Quote:
stop whining

Quote:
Do some of us fans have too much time on our hands that could/would/should be better spent making world a better place, having a life, earning a living, etc.?

Quote:
The title of this thread should be Much Ado About Nothing.

Quote:
...like every other one started by the OP. But then it would get a little confusing, so maybe we should just number them instead.

Quote:
I think the only joke here are your comments

These are all contained just in this topic.

The replies to my second post reminds me of this nutty guy that tries to post on my website. I could say a fact - like I did above - such as "the sky is blue," and he'd put some weird twist on it about what he thinks I supposedly said.

Carry on with your weird nitpicking, people.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 10/09/14 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So. Complaining about people who complain. Okay.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Somebody asks a question.

People answer the question.

Other people attack the answers to the questions and those who answered the question because they didn't like that answer.

NEXT.

Yes. Some people ask questions, some answer them.

But them some add their own unnecessary little jabs just because they feel like it. Besides the fact that someone else answered said question. You just co-signed and added the "unnecessary little jab". That's what I was responding to.

Next.

Are these examples of unnecessary little jabs?

Quote:
stop whining

Quote:
Do some of us fans have too much time on our hands that could/would/should be better spent making world a better place, having a life, earning a living, etc.?

Quote:
The title of this thread should be Much Ado About Nothing.

Quote:
...like every other one started by the OP. But then it would get a little confusing, so maybe we should just number them instead.

Quote:
I think the only joke here are your comments

These are all contained just in this topic.

The replies to my second post reminds me of this nutty guy that tries to post on my website. I could say a fact - like I did above - such as "the sky is blue," and he'd put some weird twist on it about what he thinks I supposedly said.

Carry on with your weird nitpicking, people.

I take it you meant to quote ucdt3?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
caune

PostPosted: 10/10/14 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:
Ya gotta read Tara Vanderveers books. She didn't want college player Rebecca Lobo on the 1995-96 team, but the committee did.

They gave her the team she wanted in 1994 and she came home with Bronze because she was bound and determined to start Jennifer Azzi (the only player to start all eight games in Sydney). The committee wasn't interested in repeating that mistake, so for 1996 they gave her a team that would win instead.

That team won because they played 100 games together, not because they took Lobo over...post player whose name I can't recal Embarassed

PostPosted: 10/10/14 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
pilight wrote:
caune wrote:

That team won because they played 100 games together, not because they took Lobo over...post player whose name I can't recal Embarassed

It certainly helped. After that many games even TVD realized that Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes should be starting and Jen Azzi shouldn't.

PostPosted: 10/10/14 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hadn't read this thread until now because I'm not really that interested in Team USA arguments. However, it has been one of the most entertaining ones I've seen in a while. Kind of like food fight. Laughing

BTW - the sky is black about half the time

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/10/14 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I hadn't read this thread until now because I'm not really that interested in Team USA arguments. However, it has been one of the most entertaining ones I've seen in a while. Kind of like food fight. Laughing

This is not an issue that just happened this year. This has been going on for at least the last six years that I am aware of but probably has been going on a lot longer than that. I have tried to stay away from the argument but it doesn't mean I do not have some legitimate concerns. I do think it is useless to continue with the argument. Nothing wrong in stating your feelings but after that we achieve nothing by repeating your feelings.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/10/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Actually, that depends on your latitude....Alaska? Northern Norway? Not for much of the year. Shocked Laughing

Probably many here don't find a thread of this nature *helpful*, or informative, but....many of us DO find it cathartic, in its own way; I may have a half-ton of friends, but ZERO of 'em have any interest in this sport. Hence, I find it interesting to take in the opinions of others who DO love this game, as I do, in a place like Rebs. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: